Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The first couple of bosses are wrecking me hard, even on Normal. They're really happy to just tear you to pieces by chaining aoe attacks that do 60% of your health, and I don't have the spells or slots to really open up my options.

(CS2 trained me into pressing Rush every time, so I never have the BP at the start of a boss battle for orders.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Clarste posted:

I've been finding that at the bare minimum the game expects you to be taking 50% damage at all times (which is easily arranged with Rean's Iron Will). Possibly less if you abuse Altina's Absolute Reflect ability.

Yeah, pretty much. Trouble is I really love pressing triangle.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

ok, am i actually locked out of buying fishing gear upgrades in time to do this red perch fishing quest? because i can't catch this stupid thing with the base rod

No, there's a guy in your camp who will sell you the gear. The forager kid.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

I don't think I'm allowed to go back to the camp right now? Will I get the chance to before the quest times out?

Oh, uh, I have no idea. I'm not up to any part where I'm locked out yet. I do know you can hand in some quests on different days, so seeing the ranking screen doesn't necessarily lock you out of a quest - there's a fetch quest in the camp which you can hand in the next morning and it looks like I got the same amount of points either way. On the other hand that fish one's about a birthday so it might get cancelled.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 24, 2019

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BrightWing posted:

Does money get less tight later?

There's a lot to buy early on if you want to get all the available fishing upgrades and stuff immediately. Common mistakes:
- Don't forget to sell your Sepith Masses, because I went back to Trails for a while and totally forgot they're just there to sell compared to regular Sepith.
- Clothing store upgrades are nice but usually expensive and not strictly necessary.

If you really want to get some profit early on you can sell a couple of the quest reward consumables for a remarkable amount of money. Alternatively, have Rean or Yuna make stacks of 99 potato salad for about 2500 per run.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I like this smarter, more relaxed Rean a whole lot more than I did in CS 1 and 2. He's not stealing the show as much as I expected (yet??), and the interactions with people from the first two games are believable without him falling into angst mope mode like in the CS2 Epilogue. Good job.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

BrightWing posted:

The kid lost one of his best friends, helped annex a country, and is on the verge of losing the rest of his friends. He is allowed to be unhappy about this.

True, but it comes off the back of an entire game of Rean talking about trusting his friends, the viewpoint massively on him as he does this to the detriment of the rest of the class, and picks up with him distancing himself from them by not opening up to them about any of it. It's a big backslide and it made me turn off the game for quite a while. Yeah, they're kids and it's not like they should beep boop their way through it, but after such a Rean-centric game it felt pretty 'ugggghhh'.

By the time the Epilogue ended I did feel like they'd redeemed that to some extent, and the transition from CS2 -> CS3 feels like it's picked up the rest of the slack, which is good. I'd still prefer if Yuna or Kurt were the 'official' MC to make things feel a bit different (probably blame Tokyo Xanadu for that) but I realize Rean's thoughts are kind of important and the Class 7 connections are being used well.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 25, 2019

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Yeah, there's less wild spikes, though if you're conservative with your CP most mini-bosses still vanish in a haze of S-Crafts.

For normal battles, I've been getting a lot of mileage out of Yuna with as many debuff quartz on her as I can, in Gunner mode. (also known as the Fie Method But Slower)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I felt the same way at first. I think the idea is that you're supposed to try to line up a bunch of your turns in a row, then toss out the 'no cast time' order for a few turns, then cancel it and go back to a defensive stance.

I did end up springing for some boutique armor and that helped a ton in freeing up what I could do with my orders.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rage phases don't feel fun and are basically an S-Craft tax. I just had a boss rage out, then blow through 8 turns in a row tossing out delay spam until all my guys were dead.

BrightWing posted:

I want to know this too, I skipped a student on that first free day and Im worried I just lost out

I've definitely seen people you can challenge on multiple days, but that was as part of the same field trip.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Haha,

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ethiser posted:

Do Arts ever become good? I remember nuking enemies in 2 with Emma, but with them not lowering the break gauge they don't seem worth it.

Just to add to what everyone else was saying, Arts definitely damage the break gauge, especially if the enemy's weak to the spell.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Juna is running around with Oboro, Faint, Freeze, Petrify, Nightmare, Speed Breaker, Bluster, and all the speed I can stack on her. It's exceptionally funny to draw an AOE on the battlefield then pop 3-4 different statues on everything in it every time she acts.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 28, 2019

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I'm turning Kurt into a dodgetank because man I love that MQ. I haven't really settled on a role for everyone else, but I'm leaning towards doing what you did with Juna because I did the same with Tita in Sky and it was tons of fun.

CS allows you more freedom to get stupid with it than Sky did. IIRC, back in Sky, you had a limit of 1 quartz of each type, and all status-effect quartz were treated as the same type so you could only slot one of them. In CS, your limit is 1 per line.

In CS1/2 I preferred using Fie with this tactic because she could get so many more attacks off and wield Laura at the same time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

tithin posted:

Is there a "100%" completion guide required, or is this poo poo on the map or something so I don't miss it?

All Trails games have enough in the way of hidden quests or item collecting or fishing that you'll only feasibly find if you talk to everyone between each plotpoint. To some extent it's worth doing this anyway because they tend to be good about world-building, and it's usually interesting dialogue that's the main draw of these games. On the other hand, yeah use a walkthrough if you want to ensure 100%.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

She's also extremely aware that she and the rest of the branch campus are trapped in a political game to see how soon they can gently caress up and be thrown away, and has come to the conclusion that the only way is to try to push straight forwards.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I love how time passes everyone becomes more and more capable of countering Ouroboros. It really gives a sense that there's more being accomplished than what our characters are doing. Ouroboros really doesn't have as much a lead as it used to.

At the same time, this game sells their power a little better than it used to. The real reason that CS2 felt so tiresome is because it was so easy to one-shot bosses, and then get told you lost anyway.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Musse is more or less a healer/caster - she has two water slots in a single line so I gave her Heal, Water Bell, Cast 2, and some high-end Water Arts, together with Nightgleam for normal battles. Really good stat-cure + heal craft, too.

Ash gets a very good self-buff and is generally a solid brawler. I use him the same way I used Laura in CS2 - give him stuff that increases delay but magnifies damage, then lean on the S-Craft button.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm tempted to boot Kurt out of the party and give his entire gimmick to someone else. Insane counters are all well and good but not when enemies start getting bigger with a better reach than you.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

There's even a bit where Rean closes his eyes and remembers Crow's Greatest Friendship Moment Hits:

'lend me some money, kid'

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Did I forget about Rean meeting Estelle and Joshua? I'm doing a quest and he's going 'hmm could the person Tita's talking about be......?' but I don't remember it ever happening. Is this just a player tease?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Trails of Cold Steel III - Time to talk to random strangers! ✰

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

laffo at the noise they decided to use for heavy physical impact. Just had Rean and Ash do a high five and it's all 'good job teach' then the loudest, dullest DOOF you've ever heard.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ch3 boss silliness: Completely by accident and purely thanks to stray S-Craft crits, Arianrhod went down first. Duvalie needs a promotion.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hmm. I'm not sure if it's a bug (maybe the person's about to come right back?) but the game hasn't unequipped one of the party after the end of chapter 3. I can tear all the quartz off my current party, then scan through a shop, and it still thinks someone has a bunch equipped. I think I've 'lost' an evade 3 and attack 3 because of it, which is a bit annoying.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm having some problems with the final chapter because (final dungeon start) it's 2019 and my tolerance for 'well I'm Erebonian so I have to stand by the gaslighting rear end in a top hat and his literal apocalypse castle' is at an all-time low. My reaction to the main campus showing up just because Cedric told them to wasn't 'oh no how climactic' as it was probably supposed to be, it was 'lol get hosed then have you even looked behind you at the people you're working with'.

Basically give me Tokyo Xanadu 2 because that way Falcom can focus on happy-go-lucky times character writing which is absolutely their main strength.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 14, 2019

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Clarste posted:

To be honest I'm half-expecting Osborne to have some kind of subtle mind-control power, because frankly it makes no sense that anyone would be loyal to him or his literal apocalypse castle. So I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Now that you mention it that's a good point, especially because (final chapter start) there's a convenient lampshade thanks to Emma doing the same thing to the entirety of the RMP in Heimdallr. You could probably also swing that anyone who's supposed to be dead has been gotten to in some more direct manner as per Crow.

I'm assuming that (ch4 end) with all the talk of how he changed, Osborne has probably been cursed in the same way Ash has, only he's much smarter about it or his is more insidious for... reasons. Unfortunately, this probably also means that Falcom, being Falcom, will probably give him a moment right at the end of Cold Steel 4 where he redeems himself and asks Rean to do things in his stead. Man, that's gonna leave a bitter taste if it happens.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Captain Lavender posted:

I cannot believe how much they have women comment on how pretty other women are.

Juna just really likes pretty ladies. It's her doing it basically every time, and I'll take her doing it over Ash. Musse too I guess but she's just overwhelmingly horny anyways.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

(ending spoilers)

Caidin posted:

It's weird how the entire villain side was bummed about blowing up the Courageous. Like loving Campanella straight up giggled that this whole scheme was a shot at the end of the world right after, own your supervillainy!

I think he just didn't find it classy enough.

I did like that Cedric's main motivation is 'I want to feel as strong as when I got put in the death gundam'. That felt like a neat touch I hadn't considered.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Kurt would be less boring if he picked a second plot point. It's fine to have a doubter, but all of his bonding moments were the same thing repeated - he doubts, Rean gives him a pep talk, he's fine until the next bonding event rolls round. He really needed something like a sit down with Mueller to cap him off, or a more fleshed-out sequence at his dojo.

Yinlock posted:

if rean doesn't officially adopt altina in cs4 i riot

'family and found family' is the fundamental all-encompassing Trails plot point so this is basically guaranteed

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Taear posted:

I've just finished Cold Steel 2 (not NG+, just regular) and I have a question - why'd they all leave? They've still got a year left. I feel like I just missed it and they never explained it again after whenever they first said it.

The general idea is that they each feel they're going to be more use in their relevant areas as far as researching what the gently caress is going on in the country. But it's also an excuse for a graduation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

U-DO Burger posted:

-What the hell was Ouroboros's plan and how did Osborne actually steal it? Like, it's clear in CSII that Vita was not happy with the Vermillion Apocalypse getting woken up, so I guess that was where things started going awry for their plan, but hell if I know how that actually negatively impacted their plan. Nothing in this game adequately explained that either. I guess annexing Crossbell and North Ambria are part of how Osborne is "taking over" their plan? Or something? I hope we get more context in CSIV because I'm starting to worry that there is no explanation and everyone's just talking out of their asses.

My working assumption is that it's a slightly clunky way to refer to directing the Great Twilight's effects, rather than causing the Great Twilight itself. Ouroboros presumably wanted widescale confusion and chaos so they could work around Osborne and pit the Divine Knights against each other. With Osborne in charge and prepared, you've got an angry and more-or-less united Erebonia ready to go invade a whole bunch of places.

Death Priest posted:

Rean: Crow shot you in the heart. Why did you not die ?
Osborne: You see, I ripped my heart out of my chest years ago to give it to you.
Rean: THAT ONLY RAISES MORE QUESTIONS !

Enough people mention how Osborne changed after the night he left Rean that it's not hard to imagine he's just Powered By Curse now. Either he's sparking conflict as a tithe to the curse or he's just a literal embodiment of it right up until Falcom try to give him a redeeming final moment because I bet they won't be able to resist doing so.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 15, 2020