Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

One small benefit of this series not being overly popular in the US is that I've stayed pretty spoiler-free - I've got no real clue what's going to happen next. Probably some uncomfortable sibling love, but otherwise I'm in the dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Edit: nm, I can't read

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

I like Juna, she's got a lot of (Spoiler I guess if you haven't started the game at all) Estelle Bright in her personality-wise. It wasn't until just recently I noticed that both of their craft lists are really similar too. Cross break, is like Estelle's Hard Break - single target, small AOE, impedes. Gemini Blast has the same kind of range as Hurricane. Brave Smash is like Comet. Maybe I'm the last to notice though. I'm just wrapping up Chapter 2.

Some dialogue choices in this game are driving me nuts. I cannot believe how much they have women comment on how pretty other women are. Why do they try to get so much mileage out of girls' modesty when crawling through vents? It's every drat time. It's just tiresome. Reminds me of Ries in TitS 3 eating a lot. I get that it's like, the funniest thing in the world that a pretty lady would eat a lot, but jeez. It's too much.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Super Jay Mann posted:

Haha, how can you complain about annoying dialogue choices heehee without mentioning the most glaring and annoying dialogue choice of all time hohoho.

I didn't want to get riled, so I just picked one or two things out of a hat. But yeah... it's rough.

I actually hadn't noticed it until this thread, and now it's so glaring. I think my mind just washed over all teehees until I finally noticed.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

It's frustrating, because there are some examples of out-standing flair in some of the text. I find most of it in incidental dialogue, and not so much in voiced or major scenes. Laura's emails, like everyone said, is inspired and perfect.

It's not just the typos, it's the allowing the characters to say the same things over and over again, or to say things that an English speaker wouldn't say. Like, instead of a "please look forward to it" every time, throw in an "I can't wait for you to see it". I know the Japanese verb is "to play", but Shirley doesn't have to want to "play" with everyone later - Ash doesn't have to "go wild" all the time. It's not criminally bad, but it doesn't feel like a lot of love went into it, where the others did.

Totally agree though that some of the VA makes up for it. There are some great actors in this.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

This game is rotten with amazing voice acting. But I'm continually impressed with Altina's voice actor. She's nailing the 'emotionally stunted' yearning to understand herself and fit in. Nearly monotone, but a lot of nuance. Plus when I get on my bike, and she says, "Time to ride!" I love it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Man, I really appreciate Vantage Masters, because, besides Triple Triad, it's the only jrpg card game I've wanted to play. But it's so involved, relatively. Whenever I saw that card icon on the map, I just knew everything was going to come to a grinding halt. I loved it the first few times, but by the end, it's just the worst.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Yinlock posted:

3x ranged attacker, probably the fire dudes

there you've won every match easily

Blyxes? Yeah, they were a staple for me. "Blyxen?"

Once I got the Knight master, it basically carried almost all the fights by itself.

I almost gave up on the game when it came to one of the last matches (chapter 4) Aurier Vander. I was just sick of the game by then, but pushed through it and ended up getting the really useful Chevalier Master Quartz. Glad I didn't quit.

Speaking of the above item: Is there a good way to keep your character in low HP to make better use of it? I'd think the food that nearly kills you on a 50/50 chance would be a good option, but you need like <100% EP to even eat it, and if no one's hurt there's no simple way to use EP on the field. I feel like there's an easy option I'm not thinking of.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Ooh, that's good. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Beat the game:

I have no idea what's in the next game, but 0% of me thinks Olivier is dead. Maybe he's the 7th awakener, and spirited those guys out of there. IDK. I really need for Osborne's final defeat to be due to Olivier and tied to something he's been setting up since the end of TitS. But I agree hard with what another poster said: I believe they will make Osborne relatable / pitiable and undercut the whole thing. They'll get Duke Cayenne and Duke Alberea in the mix too before the end - who probably had difficult relationships with their absentee fathers who died in limo crashes.

For a moment, when Ash was going to shoot the Emperor, I was guessing that Weisman had given him a cursed tattoo too, like Josh. That he did that to Ash and he was just kind of left like a forgotten piece of trash; but it turned out to just be Erebonian feel-bad gas.

The pacing in this game sucked. It revealed almost nothing in the first 4 chapters or so, and then dumped it all in the last one. It's just frustrating. It's like a reality-show kind of 'we have to keep tantalizing the audience' attitude. I remember playing TitS, and consistently, if I had a wonder or a question about where the plot was going, there'd be a character not far away either asking the same question or revealing an answer - and I remember how satisfying it felt that the writing was so tight. But in ToCS, I'm always just asking, "...what?!" until they dump a huge amount of info, and then characters still don't act it ways that make sense. I can't stop now though, I gotta see what happens.

Edit: I will say, making Patrick our best bro was a good move. I love that guy.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 9, 2019