Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nah, he's attempting the old "glasses make me look more mature" trick to try and appear more dignified as a professor, rather than trying to conceal his identity.

Onto the first free day now, and ahaha at "yeah, hope you played CS2 twice and got the hidden quest/plot" stuff already being front and center. Also, new long term goal is to prove to Altina that hats do not, in fact, provide any protection.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

If you don't care about enemy data (because there are 4 goddamn enemy types in Ch. 1's final battle), you can just walk into it with full CP and burn the entire fight down with 200CP S-Crafts. Just pop Laura's Brave Order for +60% damage first if you want to be sure. There's a slight element of chance, since at least 2 of those enemies have freeze moves available to them, and can go first, but you can just heal it first if that happens.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Another decent time to pull out the insta-arts casting gimmick is the bonus fight in the school portion of Ch. 2, against Aurelia. Because you really, REALLY want to be conserving 200 CP in order to do a full power S-craft as soon as their HP hits a certain point.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Is it even possible to have 7 superb dishes by the time you hit Crossbell for that quest?

There are EXACTLY 7 superb dishes you can get by the time you hit that quest, though one of them you have to buy in Crossbell (it's Cafe Macchiato, whose superb is made by Altina). The others you can buy in Crossbell require people you get later on in Chapter 2 so they're usable, but not immediately.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ha, Giga Murder Crab sure is an amazing name for a monster.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It's the same issue as Fie dodge builds in CS1, where she's only got a weapon range of 1 and larger enemies just tend to swipe at her from beyond that - sure it's a dodge, but counters can't trigger (obviously inapplicable to 2, where she just starts shooting them).

As for Ash/Musse, I ended up swapping in Musse simply to give me some sort of back line that's not clumping up together with everyone else.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Stelas posted:

Did I forget about Rean meeting Estelle and Joshua? I'm doing a quest and he's going 'hmm could the person Tita's talking about be......?' but I don't remember it ever happening. Is this just a player tease?

I mean, he's probably had fair access to Intelligence Division records for his missions, and Joshua... and Renne, for that matter, at least would probably have a notable file in it along with mentioning associates.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The whole, "pick the person the MC hooked up with in the preceding incompatible game, and have minor (or major, depending on the scene/game) scenes have changes" is not something that has never happened in JRPGs, but it does seem to be extremely rare. This can include options for "no one" too, or to cancel whatever the chosen option is, depending on the game. Somewhat rare in the west too, though there is the odd issue that it seems to have been more common a while ago in Japan and rarer in the west, while now it seems to be the reverse.

Falcom in particular is just in the position that for Cold Steel and Zero/Ao that they seem to have wanted to push a main interest in both, but wanted to leave it open-ended for the player too. This isn't bad in-and-of itself, since neither game has a central focus on the relationship like Sky did, but at the same time we ended up in a position where neither side is entirely happy with the result - those who want a relationship for continuity purposes won't get it (as already shown with Lloyd's appearances in CS, and presumably with any cameos by either moving forward into Calvard), and those who don't mind and want the freedom to choose are not entirely happy since it has minimal effect outside their specific scenes, and the game continues to kind of push another result in others. The irony is that a fair chunk of the latter would probably be fine if there was a central one with no options... but once you've put that option out there, they're going to be irritated when it magically vanishes halfway through the tale.

edit: On a different matter, one that came up in the main RPG thread, I don't generally mind unwinnable boss fights, but the mech one against Aurelia has issues - issues that made it VERY annoying. Namely she seems to have to actually connect with Dynast Sunder to do her teamwipe... and she kept targeting the mech I had Altina attached to. You might see the issue. Make your drat unwinnable boss at least use an unblockable, uninterruptible attack, game.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 3, 2019

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ChaosSora posted:

edit:
Unless you're talking about the fight with new class VII, in that case yeah I think it's unwinable until you're playing as Rean and Randy.

I'm talking about the first fight. You don't even get sub-members like Altina in the second fight.

Metroixer posted:

speaking of aurelia, after an hour of this i have to throw my hands up and ask for help

chapter 2 sidequest: i can't seem to get her hp down to 70% before her s crafft completely clocks my poo poo in. i've tried what feels like every combo of stacking STR bonuses on top of STR bonuses and waiting at the last possible moment to use 200 cp S craft. i always just BARELY miss it. do i just need to grind? is it even possible to grind exp on a free day? please help i am apparenly bad at this game.

I touched on this earlier, but the easiest way is probably finding a decently powerful art and spamming it using Rean's Divine Song brave order. You can try to knock them down low enough using just basic attacks, but that's decently riskier since you need to dip at least a bit into their range of "suddenly pulls out their S-craft" before you get them low enough to S-craft down yourself.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Look on the bright side, at least Erika doesn't appear in the game (as far as I'm aware - currently in early Ch. 4), so we're thankfully missing that portion of this running thing at least.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Very minor spoilers for Ch. 4: So, the graveyard. If you didn't check them out, all the graves are, in fact, readable for the name and birth/death. Most are just copy pastes repeated throughout, but there are three unique ones (aside from Crow's) hidden around. Specifically Julian Braun (the dead fiancee of the Leeves baker; lower section), Elsa Regnitz (Machias' cousin, mentioned in the first game; also lower section)... and Rudolf Arandor (upper section) - which MIGHT be a mistranslation, because...

Slightly more important spoiler: that's actually Rudolf ARUNDEL, aka Lechter's father. Not sure if it's mispelled because reasons, or if it's a NISA fuckup though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Stelas posted:

I'm assuming that (ch4 end) with all the talk of how he changed, Osborne has probably been cursed in the same way Ash has, only he's much smarter about it or his is more insidious for... reasons. Unfortunately, this probably also means that Falcom, being Falcom, will probably give him a moment right at the end of Cold Steel 4 where he redeems himself and asks Rean to do things in his stead. Man, that's gonna leave a bitter taste if it happens.

I mean, that would STILL be a step up from Ao's ending, where there wasn't even any sort of evil influence to try and excuse what the villain does and the heroes brushing it off.

Caidin posted:

Midway maybe through chapter 3, I don't know what your game is minor character but I'm loving watching you! Low key academics are not to be trusted in this series!

Hey now. Saying you can't completely trust spectacled professors in this series just because nearly every single one has turned out to be evil/antagonistic, is just rude. I mean, just look at Thomas. I mean, sure, you can't really completely trust him either, but that doesn't mean him (and Rosine) aren't generally cool people and on your side. :v:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

This game starts out much harder than the first two, but then somehow, breaks itself open even harder than they did once you're able to get going.

I can't tell if my favorite thing is "Cast something like 6 high level arts in a row with no pauses for other characters" thanks to master quartz + elemental cool down + instacast brave order

or

109% evade, counters from long range, does +600% damage on an evade-and-counter, draws enemy fire 80% of the time, all counter-attacks are critical hits, and gently caress it, let's start the fight with Insight too, why not?!

I dunno, "break the enemy incredibly fast, then proceed to take infinite turns" is pretty great too against anything relevant in the lategame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Ehhh, there's a number easy to miss AP floating around, mainly revolving around completing some additional task before turning one quest or another in which are not necessarily marked like investigating the truck before proceeding into the news building when looking for listening devices. Another group of easy ones to miss are the ones that have sequences of choices, like the Radio Trista drama broadcast one.