Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I just learned that Rean is wearing Clark Kent glasses and he thinks they work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Nah, he's attempting the old "glasses make me look more mature" trick to try and appear more dignified as a professor, rather than trying to conceal his identity.

That's what I thought at first, but then he specifically goes out of his way to wear them whenever he wants to be inconspicuous.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Terper posted:

VM Protip: Buy and use Medic as your Master ASAP: She doesn't heal 2 HP, she gives +2 HP. This allows you to get better trades and churn down your opponents' board while you set up. Usually finishing by giving your fire archer those +3 attack buffs.

Why bother making good trades when you can just make a mega-buff ranger who deals trade-free damage every turn?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stelas posted:

The first couple of bosses are wrecking me hard, even on Normal. They're really happy to just tear you to pieces by chaining aoe attacks that do 60% of your health, and I don't have the spells or slots to really open up my options.

(CS2 trained me into pressing Rush every time, so I never have the BP at the start of a boss battle for orders.)

I've been finding that at the bare minimum the game expects you to be taking 50% damage at all times (which is easily arranged with Rean's Iron Will). Possibly less if you abuse Altina's Absolute Reflect ability.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Personally I've been finding attack magic kind of weak? Like it doesn't deal enough damage to justify its cast time. While of course there are ways to mitigate that, it just seems kind of pointless to waste my time with otherwise. Which also ends up making things that save EP or recover EP pointless since I have no reason to use much EP.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stelas posted:

Rage phases don't feel fun and are basically an S-Craft tax. I just had a boss rage out, then blow through 8 turns in a row tossing out delay spam until all my guys were dead.

You're supposed to Break them out of it. Basically it adds counterplay to old "the boss just does their S-Craft and kills you instantly" by giving you a short chance to stop it.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I usually get 3 or so turns, also on Hard. I think the act of popping enrage tends to have a pretty long delay, relative to their other moves. Once you let them get an action they'll start killing you pretty fast though. Basically I pop Juna's Sledgehammer and go all-out at that point (or whoever else has good Orders for breaking). Of course, even if you only have one turn you could cast Absolute Reflect or something, couldn't you? Really the issue is that you have to reserve BP for it, but you always know it's coming.

Again, it's basically the same as bosses in previous games pulling an S-Craft out of their rear end and killing your entire team instantly, except they give you a little warning.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

As far as I can tell, Arts in this game require a cast time, can be interrupted, can't trigger links and therefore generate no BP, and don't even really deal more damage than Crafts anyway. They seem really bad, which also hurts the caster characters. Although at least they have magical Crafts so you don't actually needs offensive arts to use their ATS anyway?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

OddObserver posted:

At the very least they become good when using Rean's 2BP order and your guest party includes Emma, Alisa, and (later chapter 2 spoiler): Olivier Lenheim.

A lot comes down to whether you have the art element that particular enemy has weakness against, and some enemies do have very high DEF.
Also I am curious at how the 2nd-level bells work out.

When you're using that Order you're not using any other Orders though, and many of them are completely broken.

I guess if you have a full mage team that might be worth it, but in most cases I feel like Juna or Kurt's orders would be better.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

BrightWing posted:

Aurelia owns

Aureliowns

I also enjoy Aurelia hamming it up at all times.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Personally, I am eternally thankful to Aurelia for letting us actually straight-up win a fight with Ouroboros for the first time in forever.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"I am too motivated to help your coporation succeed."

Although in Aurelia's case she's actually guilty of treason against the country, so there's that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"I'm up! It's down!"

-Rean, a lot

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

"Leave it to me! I'll leave it to you!"

When switching out Olivier

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

One thing to note about Musse is that all her attacks are magical, including the ones that say they're physical. Including her normal attack. I don't think it's even possible for her to deal any physical damage. And therefore strength is useless on her? Maybe.

Point is, even though she can do massive damage with super fast arts, her crafts are also decent because they run off her ATS.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They do the same for Crow for a lot of the game.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Speaking of Crow, I've been wondering recently why they didn't just have Crow as one of the original Class VII in the first place. Having him join halfway through the first game, and not exactly endear himself to the player all that well at that, doesn't seem like enough of a basis for the pathos they expect to wring out of him.

Why couldn't he have been there right from the beginning, one of your original best friends alongside Gaius and Elliot? Seems weird to me.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 2, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I wear these glasses to hold back my unstoppably powerful vision.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

When Aurelia was in high school, she was captain of the Fencing club and declared war on every other club, forcing them to join her if she could beat them at their own game. Needless to say, almost the entire school was in the Fencing club that year.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just beat the game.

That was certainly a way to end a game. Or not end it, as the case may be. Also, is Musse, like, starting the 2nd Civil War except this time the Noble Alliance are the good guys against Osborne? I'd be down with that.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Metroixer posted:

speaking of aurelia, after an hour of this i have to throw my hands up and ask for help

chapter 2 sidequest: i can't seem to get her hp down to 70% before her s crafft completely clocks my poo poo in. i've tried what feels like every combo of stacking STR bonuses on top of STR bonuses and waiting at the last possible moment to use 200 cp S craft. i always just BARELY miss it. do i just need to grind? is it even possible to grind exp on a free day? please help i am apparenly bad at this game.

I don't know exactly what you've been doing, but she gets a huge defense boost for activating her super mode, so you want to use your S-Craft before that, rather than at the last possible second. It's based on her HP so just watch the numbers.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The only sport across Zemuria more popular than shoving Estelle and Joshua together is raising Duvalie's blood pressure

People seem to really love shoving Tita and Agate together though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like Towa's role in this game was surprisingly downplayed though, given that she's another teacher though.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

CS3 drinking game: take a drink whenever anyone mentions exactly how long it's been since they met another character.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stelas posted:

Ch3 boss silliness: Completely by accident and purely thanks to stray S-Craft crits, Arianrhod went down first. Duvalie needs a promotion.

This is actually the expected average outcome since everyone else regenerates.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Take a drink every time Musse starts a sentence with 'Teehee'

That's not just Musse. A huge fraction of female characters' lines begin with a giggle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

Rean would only ever react like that if it involved his sister

Yeah, Rean's way too chill to get angry over anything like that. He'd probably just laugh about it.

Zaggitz posted:

Speaking of VM I lost it when (chapter 3) Rutger revealed that he had been holding back a winning hand the whole time, even in the loving MINI GAME the villains find a way to pull that poo poo.

He was cheating too: he didn't have that many cards in hand when I won.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 12, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Stelas posted:

I'm having some problems with the final chapter because (final dungeon start) it's 2019 and my tolerance for 'well I'm Erebonian so I have to stand by the gaslighting rear end in a top hat and his literal apocalypse castle' is at an all-time low. My reaction to the main campus showing up just because Cedric told them to wasn't 'oh no how climactic' as it was probably supposed to be, it was 'lol get hosed then'.

Basically give me Tokyo Xanadu 2 because that way Falcom can focus on happy-go-lucky times character writing which is absolutely their main strength.

To be honest I'm half-expecting Osborne to have some kind of subtle mind-control power, because frankly it makes no sense that anyone would be loyal to him or his literal apocalypse castle. So I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Wtf do you wipe the cup with your fingers? That's disgusting.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Metroixer posted:

There was an interesting thing going when we were all told that Ouroboros may have different ambitions than the gnomes/government, only to sweep that all up in the final chapter "because the grandmaster wants it now i guess!"

One particularly interesting thing about this part is that apparently the Anguises get to just vote on what they think the Grandmaster wants? Like, Vita disagrees with the others but she's still 100% loyal to the Grandmaster, and this isn't really questioned. She just interprets the Grandmaster's will differently I guess? Does no one in the organization actually know what they're doing and they're all making it up as they go along? That's sounding surprisingly plausible at this point.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I've always taken it as the Grandmaster says what needs to be done, and the Anguis plan how to do it. The Grandmaster is the general and the Anguis are her tacticians. Vita simply disagrees about how to go about it. It probably has something to do with her Hexen Clan background

Yeah, but if their overall goal is broad enough that "end the world" and "do not end the world" are both valid options for reaching it, that implies that their orders from the Grandmaster are extremely vague at best. It's not just a leader leaving specific tactics to their generals.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 21, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like they left just to give the game a sense of finality, of graduating and saying goodbye to all your friends.

Although I'm not sure why they couldn't have just timeskipped a year.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

I too thought I'd missed something when I finished CS2 but nope everybody just independently decides they have something better to do than finish school. Apart from Rean.

Well, thanks to nepotism they can all get important jobs without a high school degree so it's okay.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Okay, I am a translator and one time last year they sent me a spreadsheet full of lines that were sorted by character, rather than chronologically. IE: it listed all of A's lines in a row and then all of B's lines, etc etc. It was a loving nightmare trying to figure out who was responding to what.

The point being that I am honestly amazed that anything ever gets translated at all, let alone so smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Actually the coolest dumb thing to do is have minimum cast delay, use the order that reduces cast time to zero, and spam magic until you win before the enemy gets an action.