Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Almost finished with the game (pretty sure I saved immediately before the start of the final fight) and some thoughts.

- Gameplay is still good, and still easy as hell to break in half. If you ever get bored of sledgehammer/windblade, just equip musse with every thing that shortens the cast of water arts (including the master quartz in the main slot), give her the "regain EP from arts" as her sub, and give her an EP cut or whatever, and spam your highest-power water art. That's been around for the whole series but with Divine Song it absolutely trivializes everything. If you have 4 BP ready to go, most bosses will never get an attack in. If the EP still isn't working, just link her with someone with auto-charge like Machias.

I also really enjoy the "100% dodge, does a fuckton of damage on counter-attacks" nonsense. It's too fair for how bosses work in 3 though.

- Wow, this localization sucks. At this point I never want to hear the phrase "half a year" ever again. For the love of god, someone say "six months" for once in your goddamned life. There's plenty of other stuff y'all have already called out. The game is also riddled with typos. Outside of dialogue, there's stuff like the one item that gives you "ADV" (ADF). The most egregious thing is that at least one tooltip is wrong. One of the accessories that says it gives you 5% evasion actually gives 10%. I don't doubt for a minute there are other errors like that, that one is just super easy to notice. I wasn't exactly keeping a list of this stuff.

Also, all of the trailing sentence fragments are obnoxious. A lot of the time it's the whole "someone else is finishing the first person's sentence," which kind of just doesn't work great with how long the gap between voice lines is, but not always. Sometimes there's no context given, ever. Some conversations are absolutely incomprehensible. Quite often there will be characters who you're talking to for the first time (especially minor NPCs) who make it sound like you've been talking to them for the past hour. It's miserable.

This is just the poo poo I can think of off the top of my head. For the love of god, give the series back to xseed.

- The bad loc is saved by the VA performances still being excellent. It really saves an otherwise awful script. Juna's VA in particular is really standout, especially during chapter 2.

- Juna is a fantastic addition to the series. Whoever said that she reminds them of Estelle hit the nail on the head. The rest of the new class VII somewhat grew on me over time, but they're definitely not as interesting overall.

Late-game spoiler stuff:

- The Schera teases were cool upfront but then it became obnoxious that she was doing all this cool stuff off-screen. Kind of felt like they intended for her to have an actual appearance in the game but her content got cut so that they could ship the game.The biggest missed opportunity here was that we could've seen her effortlessly drink Olivier under the table again. I think that was my favorite running gag from Sky.

- I loved the quest that was "here are all the guest characters, have fun!" At one point my party was Rean/Agate/Tita/Olivier and it put the biggest dumbest smile on my face. (This also made me even more bummed out that Schera never showed up.)

- If Estelle doesn't show up at some point before the end of IV I'm going to scream. The teases are way too much at this point.

- I know that they've talked about doing a Calvard series in the past but all of this build really feels like it's working towards a series finale, not just a finale for Cold Steel. But it's Trails, so I'm sure there's some enormous plot twist they've planted the seeds for that I'm still not noticing.

In short: game good, loc terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019

Endorph posted:

xseed is basically dead. the series is never going back to them

Had no idea. That is pretty disappointing.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
Oh that's really a shame. The all-caps email was hilarious and perfectly in-character for Laura.