Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Starsnostars posted:

What is Altina good at? I just assumed that she'd be like Millium was in the previous games but that doesn't seem to be the case.

I've been using her as a caster and getting some mileage out of her that way (with the Brave order that removes cast time).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

Man the bosses do not gently caress around in this :(

The first couple bosses were just absolute murder for me. Then I started using Brave Orders that let you break them faster and once they're broken the BOs that keep your delay low. I really haven't struggled on a boss in like 40 hours since. I think the early game is rough going because you really don't have any of the options the game expects you to use.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Endorph posted:

Really, I wouldn't call the localization garbage, its just that it clearly needed another editing pass to unify everything and snip out repetitive stuff. The underlying translation of the main stuff is mostly fine.

I agree, it's a huge step forward for NISA in general but it's just so dry. There's so much dialog cruft that I find myself speeding through scenes because I already know what ever character's one-line chime-in is going to be. It's a game that really doesn't respect your time. I am really kind of sad we wont see an XSEED style improvement of the dialog one day like we did for the PC versions. I had gotten so spoiled by them that I had forgotten how weird silent-Rean was. Those extra lines of dialog they recorded really did a lot for the overall feel of CS1+2.

I'm in what I assume is the final dungeon now and while the story is actually pretty cool at this point, man does the game take its sweet time to get there. It really feels like it's aping (minor spoilers) the story beats of TitS1 in how it's unfolding too. I kind of see Lughman as the Wiessman analog but I'm worried that CS3 wont touch on that too much either.

I will always have a soft spot for this series but NISA's efforts have made it clear that a lot of the love for these games was born out of the love put into the localization by XSEED.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Whew, late to the party but finally beat it. The game really dumps a lot on you in a VERY short amount of time. It's a real "gently caress you" cliffhanger too, kind of like if FF6 ended on the floating continent. I hope Rean gets some therapy soon. The deaths seemed pretty legit but it's also Trails so no one every really stays dead.

Overall I found it a lot more uneven a game than CS1&2. Not bad by any stretch but it's just too bloated and doesn't say much until the climax. I really do want to play CS4 even though I know in my heart of hearts it's probably going to be even more on that front. Too many teases not to pay off later.

Edit: Also I really do have to say I didn't think the soundtrack in CS3 was that great. The first form of the final boss didn't even have its own unique music. Compare to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPU0HD9hvmg and it's just night and day. CS3 didn't really seem to have any orchestral-y sounding tracks that I can recall other than the quiet operatic theme that played whenever they were talking about mysterious poo poo.

Also for my nightmare playthrough: I missed a (or some) treasure chest(s). Are there any easily missable ones in places you wouldn't expect? I thought I followed that PSN Profiles guide pretty well but the trophy didn't pop for me. I also forgot to scan like one robot from chapter 1 or 2 but I know which one it is so I'll get it when I get there. Otherwise it's a pretty easy Platinum.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 21, 2019