Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

I probably need some advice on recovery after a session, I had to skip a day - shocking, I know - so my legs could recover and not be two sore stumps. Might protein drinks work?

Make sure you stretch before exercising, get some protein (just from food is fine too) make sure you get enough sleep, and don't exercise those muscles again while they are sore. That's all most people need.

Needing a recovery day is good, in some ways. Your body is rebuilding your muscles stronger which is great on its own, but those muscles take energy to build so it's also basically a free mini calorie deficit. Don't worry about it too much.

Protein shakes can be good, but a lot of people end up having way more protein than they need with a side of way too many calories. If you want to look into it, and it's not a bad thing to do of you get committed,, it's probably a good idea to check out SA's YLLS board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

This! Is! Sporta!

Not sure why yet, but I don't think I should have sold my bonus gem for gold.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
Took it a bit too hard today and seriously felt like i was going to barf during the cool-down stretches. The game asked if i liked the difficulty when i started and i accidentally clicked through and turned it higher. Big mistake!

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
Having played this for the past two days and my legs are still sore, think I'm gonna not do adventure mode today and just do some arm exercises in quickplay.

Game's really fun though, splitting up the standing exercises/cardio is great for not feeling like you're gonna die, and the guided warm up and cool down stretches feel helpful. I definitely don't do that enough when I exercise on my own

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

How often should I play? I was thinking like two or three times a week.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

RZA Encryption posted:

How often should I play? I was thinking like two or three times a week.

Whatever fits you the best. Like in jogging, it's good to start at your own pace and push it from there.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

As this streamer shows, make sure to have good form on your ab guard, lest the pilates ring snap back and hit you in the crotch.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Ha, my abs are to concave for that to happen!

:smith:

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Got my first workout in. Just the first world to get a feel for things. Felt good, though one of my knee's is already sore from the jogging in place. The actual battle exercises are a lot more fun for me than the random running around.

Guess we'll see how tomorrow goes!

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Got my first workout in. Just the first world to get a feel for things. Felt good, though one of my knee's is already sore from the jogging in place. The actual battle exercises are a lot more fun for me than the random running around.

Guess we'll see how tomorrow goes!

The jogging sections get more interesting for sure. I won't spoil the cool awesome environmental things, but later levels have smoothie ingredients and lots more coins to vacuum up. Also air puff everything! Random terrain bits can spit out coins when you puff them, not to mention you get more exp for doing more ring pushes at the end of the level! I just cleared world 3 and I've done like 1300 ring pushes. I also say "Puff Puff Puff" as I'm doing it.

One thing that I actually want is an option to finish the reps after the last monster is killed. It's a little jarring when you do 5/24 knee lifts and suddenly it's over, or you only work your left side with warrior pose. Plus you get more exp for more reps and I want ALL THE EXP.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013
I just want to give everyone another reminder to pay attention to form, especially on exercises they're 'best' at. Something as simple as changing grip, or elbow location can completely change which muscles are being worked on. It's not just a safety/health issue, it's about actually getting a good workout.

Having said that, despite the fact that I exercise and my friend doesn't, he absolutely obliterates me at chair pose. I think a huge part of it that is he is our D&D group DM, and with our setup he has to kind of hold a chair pose to move all the monsters around.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

One thing that I actually want is an option to finish the reps after the last monster is killed. It's a little jarring when you do 5/24 knee lifts and suddenly it's over, or you only work your left side with warrior pose. Plus you get more exp for more reps and I want ALL THE EXP.

Please god, so long as it's only an option. On my last level of the workout being able to cheat my way out of completing a set is the only thing that brings me joy.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Heads up: if this is your first workout in a long time and you feel mad sore afterwards, keep going:

You Look Like poo poo General FAQ posted:

Training~
DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) – How Long Do I Have to Live?
DOMS is a reaction of your muscles to you making them do work that they haven’t done much of lately (if ever). There’s no sound consensus on precisely what causes DOMS, but the prevailing theory is that it’s some form of renegade lizard magic. What’s important to note is that almost everyone experiences DOMS when beginning or returning to weight training, and that you’re not dying. If the DOMS is real bad, try doing an extremely light version of whatever exercise gave you the DOMS for a few reps – that should help (e.g. if you have leg DOMS from barbell squats, just do some bodyweight squats).

The way to differentiate between DOMS and minor injuries such as muscle strain is when the pain shows up; DOMS generally will not show up until after you’ve left the gym, either hours later or when you wake up the next morning. If you’re in the middle of a set and you suddenly feel pain, especially mid-rep, that is likely a strain of some sort and should be handled as such (stop doing that movement and avoid putting the affected muscle through more work for now).

If you are supposed to work out today, but you have DOMS, you should still go lift; most of the time DOMS will go away/ease up as you are warming up or during the earlier part of your workout.

If you google “crippling muscle pain i worked out sooooo much will i die abs when” you may read about something called “rhabdomyalisis,” or “rhabdo” for short. You don’t have rhabdo

I highly recommend joining (or lurking) in YLLS, it's a well of great advice.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
This kicked my rear end more then I thought it would. I run on an elliptical and used to do some DDP yoga quite a bit, and this still leaves me hobbling around all evening.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.
After 2-3 days of this game, I recommend going to the gym and become Arnold... then play this game. gently caress I hate being old and fat. :smith:

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

So how much content does this have? It seems interesting but it's something that would need to have plenty of content and replayability in order to really be worth it. If it becomes repetitive and dull within a few weeks it defeats the purpose of gamification.

I'll probably end up getting it anyway, I do already hit the gym but my work doesn't let me do it as much as I'd like and any excuse to do more exercise is good.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I've done 45 minutes with one big break this morning, starting in world 4, and still haven't cleared the world. It's got two bosses, a warp area, and side quests.

It seems a lot of people play it just for the exercises, because I somehow ended up leading in jogging, while being a bit behind on other activities.

The robot batting gym is awesome.

Bremma
Sep 7, 2007

She was a terrible creature and did not deserve our love
I've only done a little and I'm digging it. Friday I only did a few quick minigames because it came in late (notably the robo crusher/ring press/pull game, the parachute one, and the balance bar) and yesterday I did the intro and first 2 parts of the first world and it's kicking my butt, in a good way. Saturday I skipped between actual gym time and tiring myself out digging up my garden. Looking forward to doing more on non gym days, or at least doing a few mini games on gym days. The feedback on the controller is great and really gets you moving.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Just finished the first world and poked around with the custom mode and alarms. I'm going to try to do a world a day, so we'll see how that goes.

I usually don't do yoga, but the game ensures, at least in my head, that I'm kind of doing them correctly instead of just looking at an insanely flexible person frown at me as i try to match them. I also like the way they kind of force you into moves you don't want to do in battles via cooldowns, but you can also "cheat" and save the more manageable moves for the last stretch.

I have mine set to silent mode and I've been using my desk bike. It does track, but it takes a second to get on the bike and silent mode tracks more movements so your character will cheat you out of some steps. But i feel that's only an issue on the first world as I'm sure the jogging will have longer distances. Just be sure to hop on right after a battle and you're good.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

I too have been enjoying my super cardio odyssey game. The silent mode is such a god send for me since I have downstairs neighbors. I'm still only on world 2 after my second time working out, since I was pretty sore and decided to warm up with some :woop: mini-games :woop: before doggedly dragging myself through one story area last night. Also now I have to get S-rank on all the mini-games and unlock the titles for that. I mean, there's really no other option at this point. I'm not far enough to know, but do we ever get a chance to spend our dollary-doos on things? I want to play dress up.. so so very badly.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Primpin and Pimpin posted:

I'm not far enough to know, but do we ever get a chance to spend our dollary-doos on things? I want to play dress up.. so so very badly.
In world 3 get you the first shop with two new outfit sets. World 4 has the first shop where you need gems in addition to money to buy outfits.

There are also outfit rewards for some sidequests which start unlocking at World 4. A lady gave me her favourite trunks - now I need to find the rest of the set for the set bonus.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

did a bit of world 2 yesterday and got about 10 mins of active time in. legs and glutes are a tiny bit sore today. loving the game, and I'd play it again if only I hadn't developed a cold today. hopefully I'm recovered tomorrow so I can do more ring fit adventure

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Been doing the multi task mode and found you have to cash in every 500. I do like that it counts pulling as well as squeezing the ring.

Primpin and Pimpin
Sep 2, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

In world 3 get you the first shop with two new outfit sets. World 4 has the first shop where you need gems in addition to money to buy outfits.

There are also outfit rewards for some sidequests which start unlocking at World 4. A lady gave me her favourite trunks - now I need to find the rest of the set for the set bonus.

That is excellent news, thank you. Really digging the idea of sidequest outfit rewards. Really digging this silly game.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
today the game was having a hard time sensing my leg movements (jogging, running, squats, chair, probably others I can't remember), to the point where i basically had to put my rear end on the ground to get squats to register. it was completely fine before, is the game super sensitive to where you place the leg strap on any given day?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
Pressing A in multitask mode will toggle the beeps. B will toggle the rumble.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
Friendship ended with SQUATS

Now LEG LIFTS is my best friend

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Just found out you can only cash in for yourself once a day but then you can send your xp to people on your friends list. So please send me your energy and I'll show you mine

SW-3499-6684-7486

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

today the game was having a hard time sensing my leg movements (jogging, running, squats, chair, probably others I can't remember), to the point where i basically had to put my rear end on the ground to get squats to register. it was completely fine before, is the game super sensitive to where you place the leg strap on any given day?

Make sure that the leg strap is on so that the joycon is facing forward and pointing straight up when you are standing. The troubleshooting says as much and I noticed that it does get a bit weird if it starts to drift a bit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Unlucky7 posted:

Make sure that the leg strap is on so that the joycon is facing forward and pointing straight up when you are standing. The troubleshooting says as much and I noticed that it does get a bit weird if it starts to drift a bit.

I'll keep that in mind tomorrow, thanks.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Countblanc posted:

I'll keep that in mind tomorrow, thanks.

One more thing: It also says that the joycon should be around the middle of the thigh.

Anyway, after a couple of days of feeling destroyed after an area I am finally going to lower the difficulty. It is currently at 13.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

Are certain moves effective against specific enemy types?

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
It starts getting easier after a while. Once you unlock bonus damage to same colored enemies and start buying gear/smoothies, you'll start ripping through groups of enemies. Leg lifts + grape smoothie = big damage. I was thinking of turning it down the other day, thinking 23 plus lifting/cycling was going to be too much combined, but today felt just right. I might bump it up? The main soreness I'm getting is in my calves from the jogging, I believe. I was afraid I'd start cramping on my ride yesterday, but I did my usual 50mi without a single cramp.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Got this today and it kicked my rear end the first day. I love it.

The art style is surprisingly very nice and not something I didn’t expect to praise about a fitness game. Music is good too.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 22, 2019

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Lube Enthusiast posted:

Are certain moves effective against specific enemy types?

After World 2 color coded moves do more damage.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Does this have language options?
I know games usually don't but I'm spoiled from BoTW having language options.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Got owned by the world 4 boss. He has an attack that takes off at least 3 hearts, even with a perfect block.

There are no second tries, and you get kicked out back to the map. Though it seems to have unlocked an HP recovery move for battles, and a new sidequest came up in spite of the failure.

Oh, I can skip the run to the boss on retry. Nice.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Oct 22, 2019

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I was showing people the trailer to explain the game and saw that at some point a skill tree unlocks.

Listen game, you're already fun and engaging and I'm exercising, but I'm trying to pace myself. I'm going to collapse from exhaustion trying to get all the sweet sweet xp.

Guess I'll stick up on healing smoothies before tackling the world 4 boss! The nice thing about this game is that even if you're grinding for xp or items, you're still working out! Genius!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Is there a way to make it so that if you get a smoothie in the game you get a smoothie for real

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Somebody, post the icon the game uses for glutes exercises. The butt arrow.

World 5 has ~15 courses and ten sidequests. I'll be there for at least a week.

Argue posted:

Is there a way to make it so that if you get a smoothie in the game you get a smoothie for real
Especially the green tea smoothie made by squeezing green tea leaves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Argue posted:

Hard pass on the Super Spinach smoothie thanks.