Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Squattery wheel I'm bad at but I can't really blame the interface for it as much, I'm just not able to gauge how "wide" the target image is until I usually have a try or two.

Dreadmill is totally about how all over the place the leg tracking is. Aerochute has some issues with the ring position tracking but I can generally do that first try by going extremely slow and holding it in 90% of the time which, as a workout seems fine. The whack-a-mole one is just annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm still just getting started and your stories are frightening me. :gonk:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol don't worry about the minigames, it's all extremely optional stuff and it doesn't really even pose a problem until the late game / NG+ stuff where they grade these things tougher.

Unless you're a completionist, it's totally something you can let slide

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

There are no side quests in NG+ so all the ridiculous mini-game challenges are on your first playthrough.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

lol don't worry about the minigames, it's all extremely optional stuff and it doesn't really even pose a problem until the late game / NG+ stuff where they grade these things tougher.

Unless you're a completionist, it's totally something you can let slide

Love to say this and then this is the next world I have to do :negative:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Love to say this and then this is the next world I have to do :negative:

I was so happy you could skip this part in ng+

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Are there any online resources for unique custom sets? I wouldn’t mind having some routines on deck.
If I, say, don’t feel like doing a bunch of squats some days.

Edit: I have a second question: I have a lot of extra rare stones in my inventory. When the clothes store upgrades the material necessary to buy the new items, would it be okay to sell all the old stones? I haven’t sold anything to the shop all game.

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Aug 8, 2021

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Are there any online resources for unique custom sets? I wouldn’t mind having some routines on deck.
If I, say, don’t feel like doing a bunch of squats some days.

Edit: I have a second question: I have a lot of extra rare stones in my inventory. When the clothes store upgrades the material necessary to buy the new items, would it be okay to sell all the old stones? I haven’t sold anything to the shop all game.

In NG++ all of the lv III clothing becomes available to buy and they require random stones from throughout the game, so if you want to buy all the clothes later on, keep them. But honestly money shouldn’t really ever be an issue.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Abdonis didn't force 3 star moves for some reason and he was a fine mass of health. Don't know why Allegra started a trend that was quickly forgotten. We did get a second fight with Armando. He got a whole lot better and did a 15 heart ultimate. Bosses are no longer messing around.

Had a new rush happen after 80+ hours and during wide squats. I joked about the worst exercise to have a rush and those are close. (It is planks) I have the legs for doing them at this point, but I would not be prepared to do that quickly. It was those micro squats for people using the silent running option. Overhead wide squats don't have their own rush. I hate doing them.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What was the new rush? Overhead knee raises?

Are you intentionally taking a lot of damage from boss attacks?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Wide squat rush's.

I am letting the bosses hit with their strongest attack. Sure gets annoying no-selling everything. The crabs are doing half a heart of damage on their two turn attack.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I suddenly got an interest in balance exercises and I realised that you can put together a routine in custom so I'm doing that. Soon I'll be tree posing like a yogi mofo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Finally got the regular micro squat rush called Stretch and Bend. It is a Leg skill and is not a guaranteed rush from squats. I should find what triggers it when I challenge Allegra again.

What I did find out was that the battle with Guru Andma, being a couple minutes long boss fight, is a complete victory lap over an old lady. All her ultimate attacks invite a ton of counter damage that would have chewed through her hp. I absorbed every attack of hers and they all did no damage. It took longer than a couple minutes to finish the fight this way and didn't have to heal. Maybe it was intended to be a short endurance match with the most painful holding attacks right after each other.

Got a fight with Dragaux on a ball and immediately drank a rush smoothie to knock him off, ruining that fight as well. Unless someone else can confirm otherwise, the game scripts Rush's to not happen until after Dragaux crushes the hell out of the ball. He had only normal attacks the whole time since getting knocked off. A very boring battle.

I won't be able to do any sessions for a while and using the bike instead. Pollen and kids going to school has made the job and exercise a massive hassle to deal with.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I think I have an easier time with my balance standing on my left leg rather than my right.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Can anyone confirm if it's possible to transfer Ring Fit data--and only Ring Fit data--to another Switch? I'm upgrading to the OLED because my battery is shot, but since the old Switch still works perfectly fine docked, I was thinking I'd just keep it around as a dedicated Ring Fit machine so I can finally free up my cart slot and also not have to keep closing the game I'm on and then opening Ring Fit and then the reverse of that, multiple times a week. I know about the steps outlined here but IIRC the Switch is restrictive about transferring data on some games such as AC? And I just wanted to make sure Ring Fit would transfer no problem.

Argue fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 7, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't think I am at the point to resume playing just yet for balance pose reasons. The reason has been identified and addressed. I have made great strides with my other exercises that I feel I am in great shape. The annual checkup nurse was surprised with my numbers and asked how I lost so much weight and I pointed out this game as one reason. Also keeping track of a proper diet and adjusting it as my energy and metabolism has improved. Every day is leg day. Never skip leg day.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This game has turned out to be surprisingly helpful for me as I try to improve my cardio fitness. I think I took it too slow and first and was grinding so as not to be humiliated by boss fights when I should have been pushing forward and unlocking smoothies and a wider variety of exercises. Looking forward to seeing more.

I still have no idea how Ab Guard is supposed to work, though? Like, I'm not failing it; I just don't feel like I'm doing an exercise or how I ought to breathe when I'm doing it. I bet if I read this whole thread I'll discover a lot of people answering this question in the past.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You bend the ring into your abs with both arms like an ab compression while the monster beats on you, then brace your gut outward for each attack. If you reach the point where you can lucky block it, then you did it perfectly. You will get 10XP per block if you did it completely correctly. Be sure to breathe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k8aDs2a76c

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 11, 2021

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Lol the game does a really bad job of communicating that. I had no idea there was an active component to blocking other than just compressing the ring.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
There are reverse abdominal breathing exercises that the game rarely mentions which ones use it. No, game, I am not in that kind of shape.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i mentioned not getting ab guard to someone and they told me "y'know how you suck in your gut? do that but, like, in reverse, while you're pushing the ring into it"

which makes absolutely no goddamn sense as i write that sentence, but the exercise suddenly made sense the very next workout, so there you go

some of the boss attacks are a tremendous pain in the rear endabs to hold the guard properly for so long, at least for me :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 12, 2021

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah I totally didn't understand that either until someone here told me the same thing. I think when doing a guard, the ring is meant to stand in for the force that's hitting you, so basically you have to tense up the same way you would when you're preparing for someone to punch you in the stomach. Which is why ring keeps saying you should feel it in your stomach, not your arms.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Yeah I totally tense up my core, and I feel it there, but the language they use does not indicate to me that there is some active timing thing where I’m actually supposed to push out in a way the ring can detect. I don’t even know how I would make the ring detect it since I squash the gently caress out of that thing. It is fully compressed against my abs.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

e: misread

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Riven posted:

Yeah I totally tense up my core, and I feel it there, but the language they use does not indicate to me that there is some active timing thing where I’m actually supposed to push out in a way the ring can detect. I don’t even know how I would make the ring detect it since I squash the gently caress out of that thing. It is fully compressed against my abs.

Yeah, this advice is helping me pose myself correctly, but I'm still not exactly sure how I would do the ab guard "better" than I currently am, or how the ring would know if I did.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you've seen those exercise TikToks where the person is getting kicked in the stomach, that's what the game is doing to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fblY0KTkVmE
"Que dominio" (I have my ring set to Spanish)

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Oct 12, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Is there a good guide somewhere on how to perform the exercises and engage the right muscle groups? I feel like some of these are really hard and some of them are easy in a way that suggests that I'm not doing them right, like the thigh press and the overhead bend.

(Some of this is probably just that my size makes me naturally a lot better at doing exercises that don't require me to work against my own body weight, but I feel like I don't quite get the point of the overhead bend, which is a problem when it's a much higher attack power than anything else I have.)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have looked up youtubes on the yoga poses as they are pretty much 1:1 or at least you can make them closer to how you're supposed to do them. (The tree pose and "opening the door hinge")

Some of the other exercises less so, though there's usually a pilates exercise that's in the neighborhood

For the overhead bend, maybe this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KzyEgkq7zw

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 16, 2021

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Rand Brittain posted:

Is there a good guide somewhere on how to perform the exercises and engage the right muscle groups? I feel like some of these are really hard and some of them are easy in a way that suggests that I'm not doing them right, like the thigh press and the overhead bend.

(Some of this is probably just that my size makes me naturally a lot better at doing exercises that don't require me to work against my own body weight, but I feel like I don't quite get the point of the overhead bend, which is a problem when it's a much higher attack power than anything else I have.)
Some of them feel easy because they might be more of an endurance thing. The arm fits are easy and then feel like a sudden marathon at the final stretch. I have come to appreciate how the healing fits work now that I can better bend my body. Fan Pose is still annoying on my right side.

As an aside: Remember to stretch out your ring so it doesn't end up looking oblong.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Oct 16, 2021

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I took so long off that because I’m on Finalia or whatever it is (guessing it’s the last level unless there is a surprise) it made me do like 80 squats after not working out for a few months. I was super sore for 2-3 days but I got in like 3 or 4 sessions so far this past week. I’ve just been going back to previous levels and knocking out unfinished quests and stuff.

I basically set a to-do on my phone every day that goes off and reminds me to work out. Some days I was going to skip and I just said what the hell might as well and worked out anyway.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyx_gS_KlI0

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I put on a pair of pre-pandemic trousers today as I was visiting the office, and my thighs very nearly tore the fabric to shreds.

Please game, let up on the squats. My clothes are dying.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

My new nemesis is now the hinge pose, because the game simply will not recognize my motions properly at all and doesn't seem to think the ring is moving until after it's halfway down.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Rand Brittain posted:

My new nemesis is now the hinge pose, because the game simply will not recognize my motions properly at all and doesn't seem to think the ring is moving until after it's halfway down.

Sounds about right. Make sure you’re keeping your arm out straight and moving your torso along with your arm. Keep your eyes on the ring the whole time. Also, go slower. A lot of the yoga poses seem weird but you can get a lot out of them by moving slowly.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
I beat the final boss last week. The workout was nearly 30 minutes long (in game exercise time). I kept wanting to give up but the game gave me second chance after second chance so I kept going. I had half a heart left at the end.

Now I am going back and doing 20 minutes or more of clearing out the side quest kinda stuff. The annoying one I can't do is those fan things where you wack the disks the robots throw at you. The tracking seems so slow when it does them back to back.

I'm just going to leave them and go back later for now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLQNFm2wVO8

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I've lost ten pounds or more since the beginning of October.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

That's a wrap on the first pass through the game. Final fight wound up being a lean 21 minutes of exercise thanks to pouring egregious volumes of smoothy into it. His big attack managed to KO me despite being at full health and blocked, which doesn't seem right but its not like I don't have a stockpile of 1 up smoothies so whatever.

Time to start new game plus I suppose. Gotta get those gains.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Made it to the very final world of NG+2! Also unlocked the very final outfit (and 100% completed the catalogue) and it is... a thing of sheer unparalleled beauty: (big spoilers, obviously)

Just got this world to go, and 45 more titles (many of which I'll have to do outside adventure mode because they're for those useless healing exercises). Hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It has been a hectic couple of months. I brought the difficulty down to nothing and no surprise to me, I can't do Boat Poses. Taking it easy this time to get back into exercise shape. At least my weight loss diet is still working.