Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Is there any way to just turn off ab guards? I'm using this to recover from surgery until I'm in good running condition again, and even though my incision has fully healed, something tells me that pressing a ring at full strength against my scar isn't the best idea in the world. I've just been pushing it into my chest for now, which is fine I guess but seems pointless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Hello fellow recoverer. There is an Ab Assist setting when you click B, when you are selecting your profile before the stretching segment. Not sure what those settings do exactly. You can also let go and take the hit the instant an enemy attacks and tank that.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I completely finished Adventure Mode last week - master worlds, every sidequest & stage clear, catalogue/skills etc 100% - at 30 difficulty. I had 40ish titles left to get, debated just plugging away at those in custom mode, but given my remaining skills are very heavily skewed yellow (why are there so many yellow skills) and I'm likely to get very bored of custom mode, I decided to just go ahead and completely restart adventure mode. Goodbye, Lv454 100% completed profile (there's an option in the settings to reset adventure mode whilst retaining titles, stats, high scores).

That turned out to be a really good call I think, I'm playing at difficulty 20 now instead, focusing on the skills I need to get titles in (as I unlock them, so currently doing a shitload of knee-to-chest and fan pose) but still getting a good mixed workout with the running and other skills mixed in. And it's gotten me really back into playing it a ton more each day, I'm hitting 40-50 mins exercise time daily at the moment (previously aimed for 20 and frequently didn't hit it), getting pretty mad overlevelled (combination of regularly using healing skills, having the Always Complete Exercises option turned on, and regularly using skills the enemy isn't specifically weak to) which is keeping it really fun.

Halfway through world 5 again, just spent nearly 20 minutes on the armando fight because I was alternating knee-to-chest with 2 healing skills. Definitely would not be making nearly as much progress towards titles in custom mode.

For anyone who wants to know what happens after you finish adventure mode completely: Nothing. You can replay any old levels and I think re-fight the final boss as much as you like, but that's the absolute final end of any additional adventure content. Your only other option is to reset your adventure mode file and start afresh.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Congrats, now you are ring fit.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I took a look at how the game measures calories and it doesn't factor your age. Age is for adjusting the difficulty setting. Your weight is what matters, which caps at 699lbs. I used Beginnia to start off a leg day endurance run and get that last marathon title early. I felt a better sense of accomplishment than taking a lap around the vertical slopes of the neighborhood.

Each run was 1:35 minutes. Can't cheat leg day.

699lbs
62 cal

600lbs
53 cal

500lbs
44 cal

400lbs
35 cal

300lbs
26 cal

200lbs
17 cal

100lbs
8 cal

1lbs
~1

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Congrats on your amazing weight loss journey!!! :bravo:

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
This game has been the most effective fitness and weight loss tool I have ever used; I just want to say. Being encouraged to spend just twenty minutes a day on mildly-strenuous exercise is very nearly life-changing.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rand Brittain posted:

This game has been the most effective fitness and weight loss tool I have ever used; I just want to say. Being encouraged to spend just twenty minutes a day on mildly-strenuous exercise is very nearly life-changing.

How much better are you feeling?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

bowmore posted:

How much better are you feeling?

It's definitely done its share of helping me avoid injuries and deal with the increasing amounts of aching and tightness I get just for continuing to be alive past my 35th birthday, but honestly, the main thing is just finding a regular exercise routine that's enjoyable and not a painful thing I did because people were guilting me into it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah turns out sticking a light rpg to a light exercise routine goes a long way for some folks, myself included.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If anyone wants to crank out Seated Forward Press, Fan Pose, and Standing Forward Fold, there is a fitness gym at the end of world 35.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I do those as part of my custom warm up and surpassed 2000 reps a while ago. It’s getting 5000 of some of the 50-60 rep exercises that seems impossible.

I haven’t played this in a while because I’ve been riding my brand new road bike on the trainer, and I’m afraid to because I know I’ll have a hard time. Committing time to exercising regularly is also a struggle.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Completed a full year! Didn't skip a single day either, it's my ring fit anniversary tomorrow (although there were definitely a few very light days here and there).

Found a way to farm out the healing skills effectively that works for me (Custom Mode bores me senseless) - only target a single enemy at a time in battle. After my move, intentionally take damage, spend the next 3 turns going through a string of healing moves (continue taking intentional damage between turns), once done (or I don't get attacked) then I attack the next enemy. Working on 3 healing skills at a time works for me because on the 4th turn all 3 are still recharging, and on the 5th they start becoming reusable again, so there's a nice loop to it and I'm tackling 3 sets of titles at once.

For 5-enemy battles this does draw out the length of the battle insanely, but with a good podcast or TV show I find I don't mind it at all, and I find something very fun about becoming just comically overlevelled. I think I'm approaching 50 levels above the recommended level curve and I'm only on World 12 of this run.

261 titles done, 20 titles to go.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Going for titles has been a big help on getting back into shape. Doing a session and seeing where I am not quite there yet, then do a title grab on one game to work that section on the next day. Grind out a Healing gym for the finisher. Much better than dealing with a Dragaux stage when you are thinking about ending it a bit too soon or doing some trolling multiple boss fight and sighing deeply.
I restarted at difficulty 5 and working up from there for the month. Still seeing improvement.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just got Duck Hunt dog trolled at a Dragaux stage and I hope it was scripted to add a minute of extra effort to squat trampolines. Even Ring was all, welp, let's do it over again. It happened in slow motion as slowed my fall, then got pushed off right as I touched ground. I fared better the second attempt.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Scalding Coffee posted:

I just got Duck Hunt dog trolled at a Dragaux stage and I hope it was scripted to add a minute of extra effort to squat trampolines. Even Ring was all, welp, let's do it over again. It happened in slow motion as slowed my fall, then got pushed off right as I touched ground. I fared better the second attempt.

If its the same thing I'm thinking of with the coin pusher trap above the trampoline yeah I remember getting caught out by that exact thing myself a couple of times. I don't want to do more squats why after you making me do more squats

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It has been about half a year in my second game and I never found another carrot since the last one dropped. Pumpkins are just as rare. I have been holding off on making that last carrot/pumpkin smoothie since there are more to discover. It is like the game forgot they existed after a couple worlds.

The difficulty level affects the Great minimum of all your Rush skills. Using 15 as a baseline, you can get full XP on 32 reps, whether it is Pedal Rush or Rush Lift. It increments every couple of levels.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Carrots and pumpkins only drop on very specific levels, maybe two each, which you’d have to grind to get more. Probably not worth it.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Scalding Coffee posted:

The difficulty level affects the Great minimum of all your Rush skills. Using 15 as a baseline, you can get full XP on 32 reps, whether it is Pedal Rush or Rush Lift. It increments every couple of levels.

The amount of time you get in the rush increases by difficulty level too though so I think it's just to account for that.

And yeah carrots, pumpkins and chia seeds seem to be incredibly uncommon, although I guess being able to craft dozens of those would break the game somewhat (what also breaks the game somewhat: grinding 3 healing skills between every single actual attack. I am now about 70 levels above the recommended for each stage and it's great).

3 titles left to go! Hip Lifts (man I can't these fuckers to register Greats consistently, but I don't really care because all I'm counting is reps), Standing Forward Folds, and Overhead Side Bends. The first two I'm only 2 and 5 sets away respectively from completing too, at which point I'll just make all 3 of my healing skills different levels of overhead bend and go to town on them. Might have that 281st title by the end of the week :getin:

I hit 10k Overhead Arm Twist reps too. Fun fact: that's a thing that the game actually acknowledges!

I wonder what's the max number of reps the game has a coded in little acknowledgement for. Also, I wonder if anyone's hit 10k on planks or overhead squats without dying.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am about 170 levels ahead at level 400. The level of the stages really are the recommended level to fight monsters, holy crap. I just want to train one healing skill a battle. Not even dropping XP smoothies for boss battles since everything is giving me so much XP now. Persimmons are still dropping with a rather high regularity and as game rewards. There are only three titles left for the (FUn) side-games and you can guess what two of them are. Never going to S rank anything ever again after this. So looking forward to grinding out 10000 reps on Hip Lifts. So relaxing and thrusty.

edit: Two titles.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 14, 2022

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
It's done. 281/281 titles, hell yeah :getin:

Now just gotta get back to world 69 for the truly completed file.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am done. Just got Game MVP and Game Overlord off ring climbing and Dreadmill. Everything else is now a formality. Dreadmill wasn't ever a problem. 223 titles. Might as well notch a level if doing both barely tired me out. A perfect capstone to a lovely work day. Never skip leg day.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I have been working on doing Chair Poses when making smoothies and that seems to make my squats feel much more manageable and less of a struggle. It does make wide-squats feel boring to do when I am not distracted by so much tension. When I hit another Dragaux hellcoaster level with extended squat rails, I'll know if my squats are improving. I hit 3000 squats without ever using them in my routine.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Raylax posted:

It's done. 281/281 titles, hell yeah :getin:

Now just gotta get back to world 69 for the truly completed file.

How did you do it so fast and at such a low level? Tons of custom mode? Some of the rep goals are insane.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just started this again for the first time this year. I have an idea of upping the difficulty until I get told I did a "moderate" exercise on the heartbeat. I don't know if it works that way though. I got light this time around so I think I'll up the difficulty by one next time.

Some of the fit skills have thousands of reps earned in them but some of them are very low so I have half a mind to put the more unus in favour of the unused ones. But some of them are kind of crazy like this "hinge" pose that I couldn't really pull off.

I'm at the 4 masters part and I just tried the leg gym. Exercise one was squats and that tired me more than I thought. Then knee lifts and I always breeze through those. Then 34 mountain climbers came up and I noped out without even trying.

IN the cool down stretches when they tell you stand on one leg with the other held behind by the ankle I always try to do it without support, but that means the form is probably off. I wonder if I should ditch my ego and hold onto a chair and try to get the form right? I'm kind of weirdly stubborn.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Prurient Squid posted:

IN the cool down stretches when they tell you stand on one leg with the other held behind by the ankle I always try to do it without support, but that means the form is probably off. I wonder if I should ditch my ego and hold onto a chair and try to get the form right? I'm kind of weirdly stubborn.

In I think high school gym we did that stretch lying on our sides. I think holding onto a chair is fine

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Yeah, I'll hold onto something from now on. If I want to practice standing on one foot I could always do Tree Poses.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I wouldn't use the ring for measuring heartbeats. It takes forever and many failed starts that I gave up on it. You would be better off with a real monitoring device.

Upping the difficulty over time after coming back from recess, may leave you very exhausted until you get back your form in all the skills. I am almost caught up in all the exercises, but each new one I switch in have left me tired until I get about two sessions in with it. I do feel that my form is better than last year and I don't get tired as much.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I looked up the guide and found that one smoothie was missable, 30 worlds back in world 15, and found it. Surprise, it was Persimmon. I was down to two carrots, so it was rather close. Just one more smoothie to get and probably at the end of NG+.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah, you get a smoothie that boosts all attacks at once at the end of NG+.

I haven’t played this in a while, I’ve been doing yoga workouts on Apple Fitness+ and riding my new road bike on the trainer. I might pick it back up to finish NG++ but I doubt that I will get all the titles, that poo poo is crazy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I only did the game titles because I was improving so much. It is like being proud over defeating RNG.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just did a bunch of Mountain Climbers in Custom mode, so I guess tackling the Leg Gym in The Four Masters level won't be so tough anymore.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Prurient Squid posted:

I just did a bunch of Mountain Climbers in Custom mode, so I guess tackling the Leg Gym in The Four Masters level won't be so tough anymore.

Nah, now you’ll just already be sore. That’s how they get you!

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

For most of my life getting up and down off the gound was a hassle. But now getting down on my hands and feet from a standing start has become pretty easy. I could probably get down on the ground and give 20 full metal jacket style except the drill sergeant is a floating ring whose language settings I switched to Japanese giving me friendly encouragement.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What muscles are lunge based exercises supposed to activate, bc all they do is hurt my knees and then I fall over sideways

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Killingyouguy! posted:

What muscles are lunge based exercises supposed to activate, bc all they do is hurt my knees and then I fall over sideways

Pretty much all of them. Mainly legs but also your core and to a lesser extent arms. If it’s hurting your knees, that might be a form issue? Unless you have some kind of preexisting knee problems.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I've decided to get serious about this game so I've found an IGN guide.
https://www.ign.com/wikis/ring-fit-adventure/Tips_and_Tricks

An early piece of advice is this:
"This seems like a no brainer but putting effort into the exercises in battle modes really pays off. You'll probably notice you do extra damage for keeping good form and going deeper into activities like squats. You'll know you're going deep enough into the exercise by the flames that erupt around the body part you're working out and your head. Don't worry if, for example, Ring is telling you "Lower!" during a squat, that's just the basic instruction for the exercise, not a comment on your form."

I think getting the form right is probably something I should focus on. Good to know that Ring's comments aren't a criticism of my form.

edit: Pressing the B button in game lets you check how many times you did each exercise, lets you see how much you exercised each day and let's you raise or lower the difficulty midmap.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 2, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm kind of baffled at the quests in A Shining Jewel from the Heavens and other locations that have missing requests. But I figure they'll unlock as I progress. Not likely to have hidden secrets in this sort of game.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Ab Shield is bullshit and I want Mr. Nintendo to come to my house and prove otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How did you do it so fast and at such a low level? Tons of custom mode? Some of the rep goals are insane.

Bit late to this one, but that's actually my second playthrough - there's option in the settings to completely reset Adventure Mode progress other than Titles obtained & stats etc, which I did after clearing world 69. Most of the titles I was still missing at that point were the yellow ones (christ there's a lot of yellow skills) and healing skills, which I just started grinding them out real hard (started taking 3 healing skill turns to every 1 attack turn)