Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Got this today and went through the first world. I think it will fit right in with my current home exercise routine, which was basically this except without fighting a swole dragon

Edit: Oh cool I didn't even know about that multitask mode, that will fit in with where I currently get most of my daily exercise, which is doing a set every time I lose at Magic the Gathering Arena as self-flagellation

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Weird, why does Japan have a digital-only option

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there a list of the exercise skills you can get in the adventure mode? I'm hoping that there's more core/lower body resistance stuff pretty soon, the tracking for the one leg lift you start with is not the best and also since it is using the leg strap it can be easy to go uneven with it. The ab guard is good but you aren't doing it too often

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I had previously learned to do squats dropping to just below 90 degrees but it seems like the game wants me to go much lower. Is that a tracking thing or is it expecting different form? Is the game's version superior?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am on difficulty 25 and feel completely wrecked after two levels (or one boss) and yet my heart rate hasn't gone above Moderate

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

When do you get Planks and what style is the exercise?

I've done planks in the past and I'm trying to conceive of this whole rug burn issue

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would be glad to do planks but the tracking on those knee presses did not feel great so I am cautious.

I have been taking it slow and just finished World 3

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nearing the end of world 4 and hit level 25, I really like the core exercises they have unlocked (I had been a fan of planks even before this game), also I'm especially looking forward to more yoga poses.

Coincidentally I am also at difficulty 25, maybe I'll try to raise the difficulty with each level up?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Remember that at certain points the buildup of dense muscle while burning fat will make it seem like the pounds aren't coming off, definitely focus on any improved mood or mobility as positive effects!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

It would be nice to have part-based difficulty settings or something. Planks I can knock out 30 with little issue. But squats I have been saving for the end of fights because when I do 30 of those I am out of commission for a good half minute or so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have been thinking about buying a yoga mat for this game? My carpeted open space where I can normally exercise is not near the TV, which is in a room with hardwood floors

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

Something about silent jogging destroys me, and leg exercises are the ones I’m best at. I think the motion is actually somehow working against how my body generally works, cause it doesn’t really feel like it’s working my muscles as much as it’s loving up my joints and bones.

I don't know if this will help but for that I find it really shouldn't feel like the force is coming from bending your knees, but the hip muscles should be doing more of the work to drop your center of gravity. Aligning your back so the weight drop is smooth will also take pressure off knee joints

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Junpei Hyde posted:

who the gently caress invented planks

Joseph Pilates

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lol what the hell is this Aerochute minigame

Like PilotWings but with a Kinect level of fidelity and precision, I'm gonna die here

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

If you need assistance to do some exercises you shouldn't feel bad about it, just do what you need to safely complete it and then over time you can see if it gets easier.

If it is a significant issue you can always turn on assists for specific exercises that will let you button through parts where they are required for progress

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I bought a yoga mat for this game so I guess I'm committed!

I have been taking my time on a difficulty setting where one or two levels is enough to wear me out so I'm just in the middle of World 4. Overhead Arm Twist feels like a imba superweapon, the kind that would get nerfed in another game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I would personally lean towards short and intense, as I buy into the benefits of high-intensity interval training (HIIT)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am sure it's different for everyone based on their targeted fitness but it feels like squats are a huge outlier in difficulty. Like all the other exercises I have so far fit into a similar range, so if I set the difficulty to make those exercises feel like a good workout for those areas, squats are like liquid death.

I had my first loss in the Shadow Guru Andma fight when I did a set of wide squats and then immediately had to do a Mega Ab Guard and got blasted

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The one complaint I have about the game design so far is the lifegain exercises. So far they seem kind of useless when smoothies let you gain back life without using up a turn. I don't know if in higher worlds it becomes more necessary but right now I would want to do those exercises but it doesn't make sense to use them for optimal combat effectiveness

Edit: This game has also rekindled my love of smoothies in real-life, treating myself with a peach-mango-yogurt-peanut butter blend

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Dec 7, 2019

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah it sounds like this game has a proper length for a JRPG campaign lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

SelenicMartian posted:

Has anyone tried the mode where you do ring exercises while the system is off?

Do it now. Listen.

Is there something new with this mode, idgi

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I had done plenty of planks and squats coming into this game so the early stuff was pretty familiar, but the deeper I go, the exercises are testing muscles that I'm pretty sure I've barely ever worked lol, the behind the back ring squeeze is a real murderer

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BobTheJanitor posted:

I am physically incapable of working out without it making numbers go up on my video game.

:eng101: turn on multitask mode and give the ring con a squeeze for every right side excercise rep you catch up on

I do hope they patch it so that it does alternate starting sides

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Tree pose has exposed for me how truly Terrible my balance really is. My inner ear...

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I really wish the leg-only exercises had better tracking, it just feels consistently off on all of them.

I would use two leg straps if it helped

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

I’m on world 5, and Guru Andma’s pet exercise ball just obliterated me twice in a row from nearly full health with an attack you’re supposed to mega-block. I’m pretty sure I did the block right, and I’m a few levels over what’s recommended. Still, is this something you’re supposed to lose so you learn to go in with every possible advantage or somethings?

It might also be a gear thing, have you bought new clothes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I am honestly worried about snapping the ring? It feels like it's giving more than it used to.

Is this concern unfounded

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Dreadmill really makes obvious the latency/imprecision of the leg strap input

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Rhythm game is cool.

My ring voice is now a Spanish lady so I can also get in some language learning at the same time (¡impresionante!)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gnossiennes posted:

one of the el dorago levels made me do like 200 squats :negative:

This seems unhealthy

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have no problem with planks or mountain climbers but all squat variants are death to me. With how low they ask you to go (and I have tried moving the band around every which way) and how long they ask you to hold it, I have just decided to bottom out and go full Slavic/Chinese squat because it's easier

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I have just enough floor space to put down a yoga mat which is enough clearance for most things but obstructions make things like the pendulum swinging one difficult

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Let me tell you, I thought I knew what the skill tree was, and then it expanded

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh my God that level obstacle where you have to push a giant block at the same time you're running up an upwards treadmill is the hardest thing I've had to do in this game in the 100 hours I've played it. To get past it I had to drink the shake that makes jogging easier.

I'm posting right now taking a break because I would collapse if I were to just keep going to this boss fight

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

There's a tip that shows up in the game where they talk about reverse breathing, i.e., pushing your stomach out while breathing out, that might help isolate the muscle. Pushing out with your stomach while using your arms to press the ring in only as much as to trigger the golden animation should probably do the trick

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Ok cool that’s how I was doing it. Can it be done in a particular way to avoid all damage?

Cause I usually take 3/4 of a heart each time even. When doing it

Oh for this yeah, you'll have to get skills that trigger an RNG chance for no damage or use items to boost your defense, even with gold animation you will usually take damage

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah I have no real problems with planks and mountain climbers but even after 100 days, the various squat exercises are still a real test of endurance. I was already doing squats in exercises before starting Ring Fit but what they ask you to do in terms of duration and also how low to go to trigger the gold animation definitely pushes me more than anything else in the game's repertoire

Except for the the aforementioned "run up a backwards conveyor while pushing a huge box" :argh:

Edit: also the other extremely difficult exercise for me is Tree Pose since I have terrible balance apparently

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jul 10, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You should be able to use the accessibility options to do exploration events that require squats with a pushbutton, and you can replace the squats on your exercise list with something else.

AFAIK the game is actually really good about accessibility in letting you deal with these kinds of things!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I feel like the game could refine how it registers leg-only exercises but this felt good nonetheless

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I tend to alternate between doing one level every day (at max difficulty this is usually 12-15 min. logged) or doing two levels with a break in between days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Getting new attacks is based on leveling up. Once you progress enough you will get access to a skill tree as well