Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
Heads up: if this is your first workout in a long time and you feel mad sore afterwards, keep going:

You Look Like poo poo General FAQ posted:

Training~
DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness) – How Long Do I Have to Live?
DOMS is a reaction of your muscles to you making them do work that they haven’t done much of lately (if ever). There’s no sound consensus on precisely what causes DOMS, but the prevailing theory is that it’s some form of renegade lizard magic. What’s important to note is that almost everyone experiences DOMS when beginning or returning to weight training, and that you’re not dying. If the DOMS is real bad, try doing an extremely light version of whatever exercise gave you the DOMS for a few reps – that should help (e.g. if you have leg DOMS from barbell squats, just do some bodyweight squats).

The way to differentiate between DOMS and minor injuries such as muscle strain is when the pain shows up; DOMS generally will not show up until after you’ve left the gym, either hours later or when you wake up the next morning. If you’re in the middle of a set and you suddenly feel pain, especially mid-rep, that is likely a strain of some sort and should be handled as such (stop doing that movement and avoid putting the affected muscle through more work for now).

If you are supposed to work out today, but you have DOMS, you should still go lift; most of the time DOMS will go away/ease up as you are warming up or during the earlier part of your workout.

If you google “crippling muscle pain i worked out sooooo much will i die abs when” you may read about something called “rhabdomyalisis,” or “rhabdo” for short. You don’t have rhabdo

I highly recommend joining (or lurking) in YLLS, it's a well of great advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reallycoolname
Feb 26, 2008

Take a look! It's in a book!
You'll know you hit your level cap when you manage to snap the ring in half mid-set.