Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
I just found this thread.

You'd think the villain in a fitness game would embody laziness but is the idea that he represents the perils of OVERexercise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

It definitely tells you to be mindful of your body and to give yourself a pat on the back for doing your best.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Kennelbell reminds me of Fat Dog Mendoza and this is very good.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I suddenly got an interest in balance exercises and I realised that you can put together a routine in custom so I'm doing that. Soon I'll be tree posing like a yogi mofo.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I think I have an easier time with my balance standing on my left leg rather than my right.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just started this again for the first time this year. I have an idea of upping the difficulty until I get told I did a "moderate" exercise on the heartbeat. I don't know if it works that way though. I got light this time around so I think I'll up the difficulty by one next time.

Some of the fit skills have thousands of reps earned in them but some of them are very low so I have half a mind to put the more unus in favour of the unused ones. But some of them are kind of crazy like this "hinge" pose that I couldn't really pull off.

I'm at the 4 masters part and I just tried the leg gym. Exercise one was squats and that tired me more than I thought. Then knee lifts and I always breeze through those. Then 34 mountain climbers came up and I noped out without even trying.

IN the cool down stretches when they tell you stand on one leg with the other held behind by the ankle I always try to do it without support, but that means the form is probably off. I wonder if I should ditch my ego and hold onto a chair and try to get the form right? I'm kind of weirdly stubborn.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Yeah, I'll hold onto something from now on. If I want to practice standing on one foot I could always do Tree Poses.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just did a bunch of Mountain Climbers in Custom mode, so I guess tackling the Leg Gym in The Four Masters level won't be so tough anymore.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

For most of my life getting up and down off the gound was a hassle. But now getting down on my hands and feet from a standing start has become pretty easy. I could probably get down on the ground and give 20 full metal jacket style except the drill sergeant is a floating ring whose language settings I switched to Japanese giving me friendly encouragement.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I've decided to get serious about this game so I've found an IGN guide.
https://www.ign.com/wikis/ring-fit-adventure/Tips_and_Tricks

An early piece of advice is this:
"This seems like a no brainer but putting effort into the exercises in battle modes really pays off. You'll probably notice you do extra damage for keeping good form and going deeper into activities like squats. You'll know you're going deep enough into the exercise by the flames that erupt around the body part you're working out and your head. Don't worry if, for example, Ring is telling you "Lower!" during a squat, that's just the basic instruction for the exercise, not a comment on your form."

I think getting the form right is probably something I should focus on. Good to know that Ring's comments aren't a criticism of my form.

edit: Pressing the B button in game lets you check how many times you did each exercise, lets you see how much you exercised each day and let's you raise or lower the difficulty midmap.

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Mar 2, 2022

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm kind of baffled at the quests in A Shining Jewel from the Heavens and other locations that have missing requests. But I figure they'll unlock as I progress. Not likely to have hidden secrets in this sort of game.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Got my first "Energetic". 150 per minute. Don't want to go higher than that. Probably because I'm trying to progress and keep wanting to push through dungeons.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just got to world 11. The Valley of wishes.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I met a girl called Scarecruel. She seems a bit suspicious somehow :ohdear:.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I'm reading Atomic Habits and I'm a complete convert to the idea that building good habits is more effective than strenuous self propulsion.

Each day I put my bedsheets on the floor and then set up a yoga mat. I do my bed after I've finished the yoga.

Also instead of running I just walk and try to walk a bit further every day. I don't use a pedometer but I might try that. I don't have a step target.

I go to Quakers on Sunday and I usually walk into town. Sometimes I walk there and back.

My weight is moving in the right direction.

e:

I just ordered a pedometer. Also I just did a whole bunch of walking. I met the same woman twice!

Prurient Squid fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 14, 2023

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

There's a demo and you can transfer save data if you buy it so I'll download it. Problem is one of of my joycons is being repaired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

OK I just played Fitness Circuit. Here are my thoughts.

It's very no-brainer and I like that. You don't think, it just happens to you.

Some of the actions don't register. It's a pain but I think you only lose points anyway so eh.

Some of the futuristic parts remind me of Ape Escape 3. Which makes me wonder, why isn't there an Ape Escape fitness game?

Lastly, it's interesting that they didn't tack on some kind of sci plot onto it. Like we're secret agents fighting the evil organisation L.A.Z.Y. that are trying to take over the world.

In conclusion, the world needs an Ape Escape themed fitness game.

e:

Those cooldown stretches are insane.