Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

theflyingexecutive posted:

Get a thick yoga mat. I’m wound pretty tight about not bugging my downstairs neighbors and a thick mat keeps all the running noise down and I am also not a small person. The game tells you to stop automatically after two full levels, so if you aren’t burned out by then, I’d turn the difficulty up. I started at 18 or so and could do three levels without a huge effort, but now that I cranked it to 26, two levels will wreck me (in a good way) and I feel like I’m not wasting time with all the smoothie making and such.

Good lord, I'm at difficulty 12 and was prepared to fall over and die after doing the three stages of world 2. Not even actually fighting strangely-hot-swole-dragon again! Clock said 12 minutes but I'm pretty sure it was more like 45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I have a very weak core too, for sure. Mostly I think it's the sodding jogging and knee-raises - I always hated both, I only put up with it here out of guided necessity (and having a mat for my poor ankles)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Raising the difficulty only affects exercises in battles, so if you raise it, you will spend more time in battle and less jogging

Good to know, I sort of assumed higher difficulty meant higher movement requirements for DBZ-hair speed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm not sure I'm doing knee raises right, the game gives me full credit but I feel it more in my quads than the abdomen. Makes me think I'm messing up form, somehow?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just finished day 9. Let me tell you it's a :negative: feeling to be sweating and shaking so drat much and only see like "10:23" on that loving stopwatch

Speaking of which. I've always just stopped when the game suggests I do so; is that based on time moved too?

(dragaux one-shot me 'cos i raised the difficulty and ab guard didn't go glowy. I blame the ringcon for that :mad:)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

I find it’s best to set your difficulty where you’re just barely able to finish two levels, I think that’s what the game intends for you.

For the ab guard, on the very first squeeze you use to start the game/calibrate, do you get it to 100%? If not, I’d say recalibrate. Also an easy way to prevent one shotting is to enable the options to finish the exercise even if you’ve KOed the enemy; that will get you one or two levels above the recommended.

Now that you mention it, I'd left the switch asleep in Ring Fit Adventure before exercise yesterday, so I didn't recalibrate at all. I'll restart the game before I have a go today, see if that helps.

And good shout on that finish option - I was thinking about turning that on anyway, because aborting the exercise partway thru throws the hell out of me :v:

by the way, when you say two levels you mean two levels, not two whole worlds... right?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also if Warrior 1 is an example of later yoga exercises I'm gonna be in reeeeeal trouble. My balance is uncertain at best, and I know my form's no good

(e) fack, that was reply, not edit :doh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Finishing the story took me about 40 hours and I did it mainly by doing two levels + adjacent minigames each session.

If it was a boss fight or something maybe one level

world 2 dragaux (and the jog to him, won't lie) was enough to wreck me this morning. Nine minutes moving
:negative: <-- me irl

(i mean i'm improving but still. idk where this 'runner's high' stuff is but I could sure use the internal encouragement)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 24, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Speaking of the RPG, I just got through bufflord in Sporta (that gives me a giggle ngl) and it's been a long while since I've seen a new exercise. How are those attained, by level (28)?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Meanwhile, at the rookie levels: falls over attempting Tree Pose

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Today was the first day I gave up mid-fight. I'd done leg-focused exercises mostly on a whim for 10 minutes, then on to world 4

"you may only use these single-target leg exercises"

i'll, uh, come back tomorrow

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does the game ever change up the opening dynamic stretches or is it always gonna be knee lift->heel lift->lunge->side-leans?

More general fitness question, too. My lower body's all DOMSed out. I'm told exercising it anyway won't cause harm, but is it worth even trying to exercise that part anyway or should I just lay off 'til tomorrow?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It did focus entirely on my lower body yesterday after doing legs-lady's stage, so I guess that lines up

The last few sessions I've only finished one stage before the game waves me off, at about 10 minutes moving :\ I'm plenty knackered afterward mind you, especially on an imbalanced day like yesterday, but I still wonder if I should be going for one more stage, or something. Last time I tried that I had to give up mid-fight

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Decided the game didn't know any better and got thru 2 stages anyway, but oh god gently caress mountain climbers

Perhaps the game & I were both right AND wrong all along !!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I hold it between my thighs instead of my knees, and I wear shorts so that it's gripping skin instead of fabric, and I haven't had an issue - except for once when it shot out of my legs, squarely hit my water glass, and narrowly missed dousing my Switch in water. I'm careful where I put my water now.

Steve Yun posted:

I struggled with the thigh press for a while too, but here’s what works for me pretty reliably now: always squeeze more than you think you need. When you’re in “neutral” position, preparing to start the thigh press? You should already be squeezing significantly. Then when it tells you to squeeze, squeeze hard

Thigh Press is one exercise where I think Tipp's demo is a little off. I do both of these - I hold it between my thighs, about a third up from the knee to the crotch; and when I squeeze, I squeeze as firmly and quickly as I can without letting myself bounce at either end, much moreso than other exercises

For balance I also orient the ring perpendicular to where it's at on my legs, instead of vertically like Tipp seems to have it. Not sure if this affects the exercise or not, but it holds pretty steady now and very much works the bits the graphic points to :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Starting a gofundme for a plane ticket to japan so I can do a violence for everyone involved in “Smack Back”

same except Core Crush or whatever that 'hidden' minigame in world 2 is

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

actually the gym that's just having you aim at boxes/bombs and squeeze? that one can go to hell too

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

yeah that gym fuckin sucks

You know what else sucks? Warrior 3. What the hell is this insane jump in difficulty from Warrior 2, I can barely stand one-legged for five seconds without shaking out of control and you expect me to bend forward into a T? gently caress off, game :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Warrior III is incredibly difficult since the key to balancing is keeping your gaze focused on a fixed point and of course you can’t do that in the pose. My advice would be to stabilize yourself in the starting position first then take it very slow while moving your gaze along a fixed path, like it were on a track if that makes sense. You’ll get it with more practice.

I guess - thanks for the tip. It's frustrating beyond belief to have to stand there and flip the ring in my hands to get on with the workout, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'll take mountain climbers any day of the fuckin' week over trying Warrior 3 again :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jeez, i've been wanting to die afterward for the last month of ~12-15 minutes at difficulty 15 :smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Me, not compare myself to others and find myself wanting? Surely you jest :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

Whoever put together the lower body gym is a sick and depraved individual

is that the gym that introduced mountain climbers

because yeah.... yeah.......

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

No, it's a fair bit after that: 30x thigh press, 30x squat, 60x mountain climbers, 30x wide squat, 16x chair pose

i had a similar set of fit skills on an adventure workout. It just about killed me too, even with 60% of the reps you're on due to difficulty (:smith:)

Luckily my legs are my strongest by a mile, but still!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

day 69 yesterday :nice:

I'm finding that I'm having trouble with a lot of waist-bend exercises because of my gut - more specifically, the excess skin and pockets of stubborn visceral fat hanging there. Keeps me from good form and full range on overhead bends, bounces annoyingly when I jog, etc.

I wonder if I actually have a legitimate excuse to get some kind of compression gear or something...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

I aimed for a fixed amount of active time. 30-45 is a good workout but you can start at 15 and slowly increase if you want.

I've been 15 minutes at most before total exhaustion for almost three months now :smith:

Then again I've been pretty demoralized the last couple weeks and haven't really worked out at all, anyway :smith::smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I track my workout on my Apple Watch and generally work out for about a half hour. Doesn’t always translate to the same amount of in-game time. I don’t know if I’ve ever done 30 minutes on the in-game timer that seems like a lot actually

It's usually closer to 30 minutes IRL for me too, I should clarify that I'm going by the ingame timer

Chin Strap posted:

It also depends what difficulty number you are setting it at. Higher difficulty is going to skew the session more towards fights and gyms, lower difficulty will mean more of your active time is running the levels. And of course how much experience you've had with working out in the past.

Still do something that is the most important.

Difficulty 15 right now - right in the middle, been there almost a month. Sedentary the vast majority of my life, barring the odd gym stint, until starting Ring Fit almost 4 months ago

Sidenote: Tree Pose is literally loving impossible, I cannot balance on one leg with any reliability, especially my right - let alone get my other foot onto my thigh, let alone hold the ring above my head, let alone bend. But RPG stats means it has to be there for green single target. That feels kinda bad

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

On this topic... it's been over a year and I've just realized I've been doing Boat Pose wrong because I finally heard the tip that says not to put your back all the way on the floor :negative:

yeah i can get through like a single rep of that with good form

exercising is freakin' depressing sometimes lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

wide squats are for days when i particularly hate myself. normal squats, fine, but my lower body can't do that :gonk:

(e) fan pose, too, for all that ever actually comes up. If my legs are out that wide, holding them so my feet point straight up is really painful, let alone the actual stretch :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

be a hell of a lot longer than a year and a half for me, most likely. just can't summon up the motivation anymore

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i mentioned not getting ab guard to someone and they told me "y'know how you suck in your gut? do that but, like, in reverse, while you're pushing the ring into it"

which makes absolutely no goddamn sense as i write that sentence, but the exercise suddenly made sense the very next workout, so there you go

some of the boss attacks are a tremendous pain in the rear endabs to hold the guard properly for so long, at least for me :v:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 12, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

e: misread