Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

I spotted this magazine, and was quickly fascinated with it because I never knew anything like this existed. Ads for tanks, weapons and aircraft? Almost looks like satire. Are catalogs like this still produced?

I apologize in advance for the quality - these aren’t scans, and were taken haphazardly with my phone.

Front cover

Advertising some huge bullets

Come get your tanks, and other military vehicles

Devices and computers

Guns

A few others

Four-ring binders lol

Not an ad, but still pretty rad

Good Sphere fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
this is awesome, you rock

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Skyflash ad is underselling the missile, really, it saw use into the 2000’s.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
That was so cool

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Forgot about one of my favorites

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
Thanks for sharing this. Do you have more?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Who the gently caress subscribed to this magazine, Hans Gruber?

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

skasion posted:

Whole bunch of dictators probably.

Bet Saddam had a bigger stack than a kid from the 90s collection of Nintendo Powers.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Edgar posted:

Thanks for sharing this. Do you have more?

No sorry, not now. Not until I go back to the place that I found it, at least.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Skyflash ad is underselling the missile, really, it saw use into the 2000’s.

It seems like space and military always underestimate how long they will use a certain tech for, which I guess is a good thing instead of not having it last as long as they’d expect. It’s impressive they can even make that kind of projection.

Pickwick High
Aug 4, 2019

They call me Nutse
I need some missiles OP where can you get a current issue?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret

Pickwick High posted:

I need some missiles OP where can you get a current issue?

https://www.janes.com/defence/janes-international-defence-review

this might scratch that itch

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
"internal security vehicle"

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
was phillips a nazi supporter/company? zoom in

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
who is the target audience for the magazine? 3rd world dictators?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
you would think dictators would get more personalized advertisments

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

This is very phallic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is very phallic

Turn on your monitor

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That’s awesome, good find. It’s like seeing ads for Raytheon on Twitter, what am I supposed to do with their products?

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
That's super cool, OP. Thanks!

nextlevelstart
Feb 26, 2015
The present day issue has metal gears in it

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Please tell me there are some “WOMEN OF THE MDR” pics

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Of course you have to call them to even know how much the dang things cost. That's how they get you. They hook you up with a sly salesman and before you know it you're broke and knee deep in naval artillery shells.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
poo poo, I had one of these a long time ago that I picked up in a French ferry port when I was a teenager. It had all the tank stuff, but also a massive article about that crazy H&K rifle that never went into production, the G11. Caseless ammo seemed like the wave of the future in the 80’s.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
I love obscure, old magazines.

Good thread, OP :)

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That’s awesome, good find. It’s like seeing ads for Raytheon on Twitter, what am I supposed to do with their products?

Distribute Mig parts?

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Colonel Cancer posted:

This is very phallic
General Bullshit › Military Defense Review magazine from 1977: This is very phallic

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
OP, where does this magazine advertise or mention THE ROOK?

Until I see this in your magazine, I am not persuaded

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Torquemada posted:

poo poo, I had one of these a long time ago that I picked up in a French ferry port when I was a teenager. It had all the tank stuff, but also a massive article about that crazy H&K rifle that never went into production, the G11. Caseless ammo seemed like the wave of the future in the 80’s.

I remember that. Caseless ammo in bullpup feeds was going to be the new hotness for a while.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

This is the porta potty that my workplace rolls out for me after I've had Mexican food for lunch.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

Hey, I guess I had another I forgot.

Johnny Walker posted:

General Bullshit › Military Defense Review magazine from 1977: This is very phallic

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I remember that. Caseless ammo in bullpup feeds was going to be the new hotness for a while.

The G-11 (and all its varients :lol: ) are prohibited by name in Canada, which shows how much faith people had in the concept.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
why yes, i am needing ammunition

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
If this is your thing, there's pages and pages of it at http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/military-ads

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sard posted:

If this is your thing, there's pages and pages of it at http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/military-ads

why does their system support dates as far back as 1780 when the first military ads in their database only begin at 1900. what a tease :(

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'll take a scorpion light tank please. Heavy tanks are clearly compensating for something

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

Forgot about one of my favorites

THERE IS A WHOLE LOT GOING ON IN AIR DEFENSE ARTILLERY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85MDZfZr1ag

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The SKYGUARD ad looks like a fluff piece straight out of an 80's BattleTech manual for something to mount on a tank that's going to get crit hit by a mech on the first turn regardless, and I love it.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Hans would be subscribed to men's fashion magazines. And Time, obviously.

Blistex posted:

The G-11 (and all its varients :lol: ) are prohibited by name in Canada, which shows how much faith people had in the concept.

Any idea why? Not really familiar with Canuck gun laws, I just know you need to own a shottie in case a polar bear tries to eat you.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Sunswipe posted:

Any idea why? Not really familiar with Canuck gun laws, I just know you need to own a shottie in case a polar bear tries to eat you.

likely because it was a really OP gun in Fallout 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
Please don't post pictures of Reza Shah's jerk off material