Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Declan MacManus posted:

the way i see it if he doesn’t make a bowl this season or next, fsu pretty much needs to fire him

Didn't save the link, but there was an article this morning suggesting that FSU has already been reaching out to donors to get their checkbooks ready.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

Coach chat reminds me that Florida really hit a home run with Dan Mullen. I underestimated what he could produce. My idea was an (entertaining) 8-4 to 9-3 kind of team.

There's still time for that!

I was in early on Mullen being a pretty good hire, I just didn't expect all the other hires that year to be trash.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Grittybeard posted:

There's still time for that!

I was in early on Mullen being a pretty good hire, I just didn't expect all the other hires that year to be trash.

Hey now, I'll have you know that Les Miles is going to get Kansas to like, maybe 4 wins?

*looks at remainder of schedule*

Ok but like, he's Les Miles...

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Coach chat reminds me that Florida really hit a home run with Dan Mullen. I underestimated what he could produce. My idea was an (entertaining) 8-4 to 9-3 kind of team.

Yeah for real.

And I think bc our facilities aren’t as great we need someone who is a great X and O guy. I love Gainesville and UF football traditions but like 15yo kids aren’t the same kinda fanboi dickhead as yours truly and it has shown in recruiting since Meyer left.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

LLCoolJD posted:

A "bare cupboard" at FSU should still be relatively strong. It's not like Jimbo was a poor recruiter.

The bare cupboard thing is dumb considering they were entering the season with the 5th highest blue chip ratio. The fact that Taggart - whose main strength is supposed to be recruiting - couldn't recruit a QB or passable O-linemen isn't helping.

He's just not a great coach. His in-game decision making is questionable and everywhere he's been ended up being one of the most penalized teams in the country. On the plus side, their QBs haven't sexually assaulted or beat up any women recently.

I'd like to hear pillsburysoldier's take on this but he seems to have disappeared :iiam:

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Scarf posted:

Hey now, I'll have you know that Les Miles is going to get Kansas to like, maybe 4 wins?

*looks at remainder of schedule*

Ok but like, he's Les Miles...

mack brown is like 9 points away from being 7-0 right now

retreads are sick af imo

Scarf posted:

Didn't save the link, but there was an article this morning suggesting that FSU has already been reaching out to donors to get their checkbooks ready.

yeah someone posted an article about them seriously considering that 17m buyout; i think it’s more realistic to see if he can get to 6 wins this year before firing him and soften that blow a little bit because it’s no longer something that can get turned around in a year

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

quote:

College Football Rankings - Week 9
Coaches Poll

Others receiving votes: Iowa State 83, Virginia 61, San Diego State 45, Navy 24, Pittsburgh 18, Washington 16, Tulane 8, Texas A&M 8, Louisiana Tech 7, UCF 6, Temple 3, Virginia Tech 2, UAB 1, Indiana 1, Utah State 1

:yeshaha: Do it you cowards!

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

A "bare cupboard" at FSU should still be relatively strong. It's not like Jimbo was a poor recruiter.

FSU could still end the season with a winning record. Boise State, UVA, Clemson, and Wake Forest are good teams so it's at least not unconscionable to lose to them while rebuilding. But at some point he has to start winning and not look so dejected and lost in the post-game interviews.

He recruited well overall but he struck out a ton on the line at the end and it was showing before Taggert got there. That's probably the hardest thing to fix overnight.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Meyer at Miami is cool in theory, but I just don't think the Miami administration gives a poo poo about football, and the stadium situation is untenable and the fan support just isn't there. It's honestly difficult to see Miami becoming what they once were again. Even a great coach and recruiter like Meyer will struggle to fill that stadium, and that makes recruiting all the more difficult. Meyer can have his pick of any job, and Miami isn't a top 10 job or probably even a top 25 job anymore.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
just sittign here thinking about how the strongest 2 rosters in alabama history are gonna get 0 championships because every player died.

Rip

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

Scionix posted:

just sittign here thinking about how the strongest 2 rosters in alabama history are gonna get 0 championships because every player died.

Rip

IMO play Mac all this week then start taulia against LSU

Surprise motherfuckers

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Scarf posted:

I just don't understand the psyche of someone with so much money that they can drop $MoreThanIMakeInAYear to pay for a new coach for my favorite football team, especially if they spent $TooDamnMuch a few years ago.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I hope Urban goes to USC

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Raku posted:

IMO play Mac all this week then start taulia against LSU

Surprise motherfuckers

there's literally no other way this can go

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

Komet posted:

Meyer at Miami is cool in theory, but I just don't think the Miami administration gives a poo poo about football, and the stadium situation is untenable and the fan support just isn't there. It's honestly difficult to see Miami becoming what they once were again. Even a great coach and recruiter like Meyer will struggle to fill that stadium, and that makes recruiting all the more difficult. Meyer can have his pick of any job, and Miami isn't a top 10 job or probably even a top 25 job anymore.

This is partially wrong. I agree with the Administration comment, but Miami has never filled the stadium for poo poo games. When we are good, we average around 55k to 60k for small games and fill up for premier games. 2017 was pretty good for fan support. Miami just doesn't go to losers.

The stadium is actually pretty great. We don't have an on-site stadium but considering how small the school is, having it in the middle helps people like me get down there.

We've heavily invested in facilities, and are paying our coaches a lot. Richt had top 10 salary. We've just been really poor and picking coaches overall since 2000.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Scionix posted:

Rip

Oh no we only have 94 championships instead of 96

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Oh no we only have 94 championships instead of 96

They claim 130.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

a neat cape posted:

I hope Urban goes to USC

no

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

From Twitter: Every single team that has ever played FBS level football and their winning percentage at it. It's a long image
https://images2.imgbox.com/a4/ea/5Fs3oypc_o.png

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Maxwells Demon posted:

From Twitter: Every single team that has ever played FBS level football and their winning percentage at it. It's a long image

Is it sorted by winning %? Want to see if I can just scroll to the middle and find Rutgers

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

They totally do. The enemies of Rutgers are-

*breaks down laughing, unable to continue*

Arkansas is tanking hard enough to retroactively diminish Rutgers' two recent wins.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Maxwells Demon posted:

Okay is it every team that has ever played FBS level football or just Division 1 level football, because the stats go back to the 40s and the Division FBS/FCS split happened in 1978.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Maxwells Demon posted:

Grambling and Tennessee State whipped everyone's rear end in 1977, and they haven't felt the need to prove themselves again since then.

This is what keeps Nick Saban up at night. What if he flies too close to the sun and awakens the slumbering titan?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

PostNouveau posted:

Grambling and Tennessee State whipped everyone's rear end in 1977, and they haven't felt the need to prove themselves again since then.

This is what keeps Nick Saban up at night. What if he flies too close to the sun and awakens the slumbering titan?

I gotta be honest, a HBCU going on a tear would own.

FAMU to the Sugar Bowl, tia

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Randaconda posted:

FAMU to the Sugar Bowl, tia

nah dog NCA&TSU is the new HBCU power

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

EA Sports NCAA Football 2020 when?

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

EA Sports NCAA Football 2020 when?

i will gladly take Southern to the top rather than LSU

that run where they had FCS teams was incredible

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

I just don't understand the psyche of someone with so much money that they can drop $MoreThanIMakeInAYear to pay for a new coach for my favorite football team, especially if they spent $TooDamnMuch a few years ago.

You've got to do something for tax write offs, you can only stash so much cash in Panama.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
It's ashame the top athletes don't choose hbcus

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/drewmagary/status/1186691243516014593?s=19

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I once turned Duke into a championship team in NCAA Football career mode. It was fun bringing them up from nothing. The recruiting mechanics seemed buggy (in a bad way) once I was established.

These days I might pick App State because of their mascot.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LLCoolJD posted:

I once turned Duke into a championship team in NCAA Football career mode. It was fun bringing them up from nothing. The recruiting mechanics seemed buggy (in a bad way) once I was established.

These days I might pick App State because of their mascot.

Do the best G5 school, make them undefeated, then on the last weekend take control of the opposing teams that are playing every P5 school ahead of you in the polls.

Sorry Bama, Auburn is winning the Iron Bowl by 72 this year.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

He said players should be paid last year though!

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

I always picked rice as my team in NCAA because there’s a school named rice.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

colachute posted:

I always picked rice as my team in NCAA because there’s a school named rice.

That’s nice, to be rice

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Maxwells Demon posted:

Nebraska with a nice 69% win percentage on the dot

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

General Dog posted:

Is it sorted by winning %? Want to see if I can just scroll to the middle and find Rutgers

rutgers is #82 which is technically above average!

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

Maxwells Demon posted:

Mizzou is #69 on that list. Nice, but also lol we suck. That 80's and 90's stretch, yikes.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Maxwells Demon posted:

166 baby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So this is all he said bull poo poo, but the scuttlebutt is that Pittman reamed into Cooley at halftime at the UGA game. I love inter-program drama and if Kirby chooses Cooley over Pittman, he has lost his dang mind.