Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The Seasonal Thread posted:

In a world populated by anthropomorphic animals, herbivores and carnivores coexist with each other. For the adolescences of Cherryton Academy, school life is filled with hope, romance, distrust, and uneasiness. The main character is Legoshi the wolf, a member of the drama club. Despite his menacing appearance, he has a very gentle heart. Throughout most of his life, he has always been an object of fear and hatred by other animals, and he's been quite accustomed to that lifestyle. But soon, he finds himself becoming more involved with his fellow classmates who have their own share of insecurities and finds his life in school changing slowly.

A manga by Paru Itagaki has now been animated Studio Orange and airs on Fuji TV and Netflix Japan! It's not releasing in any other territory yet so you're gonna have to be a bit resourceful to watch this one. It's currently unknown how many episodes this will run. A lot of people have reservations about it being a CG anime, but Studio Orange has won me over hard with Land of the Lustrous and so far, this show is incredibly charming

https://twitter.com/PunkJax/status/...3D21%23lastpost

Spoiler tag any manga discussion, but do talk about any changes or details from the manga. So far it seems like this adaptation is going at four chapters an episode so some stuff is being cut or moved around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgo9dJB_icw

MOD EDIT 1/17/2020: This thread will now serve as a general Beastars manga discussion thread. Consider spoiler tagging discussion of the newest released chapters for a page or so, but otherwise manga spoilers are fair game in this thread.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
hunger hurts, but starving works when it costs too much to love

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I think the CG actually works in Beastars favor. It makes them look like animals that are human instead of humans that are animals if that makes sense.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
I was really unsure about the whole "anthropomorphic animals" bit going in, but they are actually using the whole carnivore/herbivore dynamic to good effect as an ever-present, but alien (from audience perspective) aspect of every interpersonal relationship in the setting and it makes Beastars pretty distinct from the usual high school drama (which is absolutely what Beastars seems to be, at least so far). So far, I'm genuinely unsure if Legoshi is innocent and completely unrelated to the whole incident in the first episode, or if he actually did ate the Llama boy while in predatory frenzy and is in deep denial about it.

I'm hooked. ( Also it's CG, but it's good and extremely fitting for the setting, what else did you expect, it's studio Orange.)

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm kinda pissed off this is stuck in Netflix Jail in the US.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
So is the author!

https://twitter.com/itaparu99/status/1182577604877905920

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

So far I'm enjoying how they are adapting Beastars. The changes so far seem to be in the interest of making it flow better as an anime.

One change I like a lot just because it makes Legosi comes off better is how he hands off Tem's love letter. Here's how he decides to approach Els in the manga

They did cut out some stuff with Jack such as Legosi explaining to him what the play is about and how much he likes bugs. While the stuff where the harlequin rabbit and her friends toss Haru's books and mattress out of her window is new along with Haru's roommate.

Also the author describes the series as a human drama, but with animal actors. Which I've always loved even though I'm not fully sure why.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The thing that's gonna be fun to watch is anime only people who think this is "more edgy zootopia" from the opening slowly realizing that Beastar's metaphors are totally different.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
legosi is a younger, gawkier kazuma kiryu

i will not accept debate on this point

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
Just so people know, it was revealed recently that Paru is actually the daughter of Keisuke Itagaki, the creator of Baki the Grappler

also she wears a chicken head in public photos

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
yeah she withheld that information for a while so people wouldn't think there was any nepotism in her success or compare her to her father which is why i didn't want to mention it in the op

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
Paru Itagaki rocks

Fabricated posted:

The thing that's gonna be fun to watch is anime only people who think this is "more edgy zootopia" from the opening slowly realizing that Beastar's metaphors are totally different.

I feel like Beastars just dives into different issues that the society faces on a way deeper and multi-faceted level than Zootopia does (to be fair it's a long running manga narrative versus a singular movie). What I really love about the story is while, yeah, it's stuff we can connect with on a human level, there's stuff where I'm like, "Yeah, these are definitely animal problems." It's what fascinates me about her worldbuilding and even at some points in the manga it may halt the plot for a little, I'm never bored reading what new aspect that's been made up to build up the world of animals more from how certain species interact, the level of technology that's being used, their various dietary needs, etc.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Expect My Mom posted:

yeah she withheld that information for a while so people wouldn't think there was any nepotism in her success or compare her to her father which is why i didn't want to mention it in the op

She did actually reveal it publicly about a month ago. It is pretty neat that she hid it for so long.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-09-19/weekly-shonen-champion-reveals-baki-beastars-creators-are-father-daughter/.151301

Compendium posted:

Paru Itagaki rocks

I feel like Beastars just dives into different issues that the society faces on a way deeper and multi-faceted level than Zootopia does (to be fair it's a long running manga narrative versus a singular movie). What I really love about the story is while, yeah, it's stuff we can connect with on a human level, there's stuff where I'm like, "Yeah, these are definitely animal problems." It's what fascinates me about her worldbuilding and even at some points in the manga it may halt the plot for a little, I'm never bored reading what new aspect that's been made up to build up the world of animals more from how certain species interact, the level of technology that's being used, their various dietary needs, etc.

I love how she actually addresses things like carnivores eating meat in a more medical and social manner than a black-and-white moral one. It is why characters like Bill, Yafya and Melon are so interesting. I'm excited because it seems in the manga we might get more context on the war they haven't fully explained yet.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I kinda wish Morikawa also voices someone here, though, because The Boss' work on the Japanese Dub of Zootopia was pretty stellar in a way that Jason Bateman's just wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po2yxF__00U

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Compendium posted:

Paru Itagaki rocks

Without giving away details current Beastars is running an incredibly relatable and nuanced view on what being biracial from two very different cultures is like thats very accurate to lived experiences, while also still being incredibly different because theyre gosh darn animals.

Beastars is good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i'm very curious if what legosi is grappling with in the beginning of the second ep is just common with bigger predators like wolves or more distinct to him. i'd assume the former but we haven't seen much of other big carnivores

also louis is good. the tension and almost intimacy between him and legosi is conveyed very well by the models. i'm glad he's not antagonistic, just intense. the pv's had me feeling like he'd be trying to blame legosi for the murder or something

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Compendium posted:

Paru Itagaki rocks

Well the thing that's pretty different is that the pred/prey dynamic isn't just a racial allegory but is REALLY deeply sexual too. And somehow it manages to handle that in a really interesting way.

Expect My Mom posted:

i'm very curious if what legosi is grappling with in the beginning of the second ep is just common with bigger predators like wolves or more distinct to him. i'd assume the former but we haven't seen much of other big carnivores

also louis is good. the tension and almost intimacy between him and legosi is conveyed very well by the models. i'm glad he's not antagonistic, just intense. the pv's had me feeling like he'd be trying to blame legosi for the murder or something
Louis is actually a ridiculously nuanced and well-written character and his arc is just as good if not better than Legosi's. This is only really vaguely spoilerly and doesn't describe any specific event but I'll put it behind spoilers anyway- Louis develops respect for Legosi and you can tell, but there's a single dialogue exchange you can miss later on that reveals exactly how deep it is- it shows that he DEEPLY trusts/respects Legosi more than Legosi himself can probably imagine.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 21, 2019

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
I like the animation but after seeing some screencaps of the manga I literally went and ordered what books are out in english right now because I love how loose (and sometimes outright doofy) the art looks, which is obviously gonna be lost in translation with it being a CG series

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

I like the animation but after seeing some screencaps of the manga I literally went and ordered what books are out in english right now because I love how loose (and sometimes outright doofy) the art looks, which is obviously gonna be lost in translation with it being a CG series

It's good, you're in for a treat.

I don't think this is really spoiling anything, but it is from later chapter, so just in case:

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I really don't like Haru's facial design most of the time. Something about it just doesn't seem to fit with the other characters and makes her seem out of place. Her comical expressions are great, though.

Anyway Beastars rules.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I binged through the manga recently, and I was shocked that there was no thread for this. While I have some grievances with the later stuff, I think the manga is incredibly compelling. I'll have to check out the anime too, once it's available here.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

Fabricated posted:

Something about it reminds me of a much (much much) softer Oyasumi Pun Pun.

Also I binged the entire manga yesterday and I love Louis and Pina.

(major recent spoilers) I'LL SHOW YOU THE POWER OF MY STAND

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I'm so glad this finally has a thread. the manga is incredible and Beastars is going to be the best anime of the season.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I would like to have this be a manga thread sometime after the anime ends cause I def see myself switching over at some point

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Expect My Mom posted:

I would like to have this be a manga thread sometime after the anime ends cause I def see myself switching over at some point

:same:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

been reading the manga; I think I got to the point where the anime will probably end (if it happens to be a single cour that is) with the end of the Meteor Festival arc

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Just finished episode 2.

That is not where I expected this to go.

Who's the predator now? :smug:

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

been reading the manga; I think I got to the point where the anime will probably end (if it happens to be a single cour that is) with the end of the Meteor Festival arc

actually scratch that, I wouldn't be surprised if the series was 2 cour, given how where I am right now (chapters in the 90s, roughly where a 2 cour series would end with with at the chapter rate it's going) seems to be a pretty good stopping point

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Ranzear posted:

Just finished episode 2.

That is not where I expected this to go.

Who's the predator now? :smug:

I like how confused Legosi is about all this.

Hm?

Hm?

...Hm?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

That is one hell of a place to leave an episode lol. So far I’m more than confident that this adaptation is in the right hands, a couple of shots from the first episode were really great, like Tem in darkness going to inverted colours and the silhouetted shot of Legosi at sunset.

I am a little bummed that some of the earlier pages seem to have been cut because Jack’s first introduction is way earlier in the manga, and I think it’s useful to show the friendships Legosi has. Right now he’s coming off as more of a loner than he really is.

There’s a few other things this show is treating a little differently but it’d be a bit too spoilerly to talk about.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
https://twitter.com/beanytuesday/status/1174732331149664262

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Itadadki also thought up a series about a make-up artist being hella committed to his craft?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I really don't like Haru's facial design most of the time. Something about it just doesn't seem to fit with the other characters and makes her seem out of place. Her comical expressions are great, though.

Anyway Beastars rules.

honestly i think this is kind of the point since (not really sure if i should be tagging this, it's a thing from pretty early on, but doing it just to be safe) like 95% of the sexual content in the series involves Haru in some way and I have a weird feeling Itagaki kinda doesn't want you reading that with one hand

like, Haru comes off as a deliberately out of place and uncanny-valley character design, not an accidental fuckup, and it's pretty blatant to me why that happened tbh

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Haru's thing is that being an albino dwarf rabbit pretty much makes her look like she needs protected or like a pure sex object by everyone she meets. She isn't taken seriously by males and females see her as unfair competition.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Fansubs for Episode 3 are out! Go watch it's incredibly good!

The use of mirrors and split screens in this show are so interesting, to the point where it kind of freaks me out. I love the one at the end of episode 2 where Haru's side cuts between actions and Legoshi's is just a close up of his face, it doesn't make logical sense but it all comes together. GOOD SHOW

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

"Unlike you, my body's not built for fighting" says man who grows knives out of his head.

(More generally, they seem to be doing the whole Zootopia thing, where they conflate how dangerous an animal is with its diet)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
beastars has somewhat fanciful ideas about the animal kingdom in general, and I don’t mean the walking and talking bits

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Oct 27, 2019

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The opening scene is way better than I had expected. :allears:

I never noticed Legosi closing the door on his tail in manga.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
even discounting the bunny situation, the animation makes it clear that he’s hideously uncomfortable in this tiny space

just an awkward lurching Frankenstein of a boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

https://i.imgur.com/u6jciDN.mp4