Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
https://mangadex.org/chapter/1212846/1

New Beast Complex

Horny chapter ahoy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Kuros posted:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1212846/1

New Beast Complex

Horny chapter ahoy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
panels from the next, yet-untranslated chapter are also going around on reddit. it's about haru and legosi

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Extremely horny on main

And I'm fine with that

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

panels from the next, yet-untranslated chapter are also going around on reddit. it's about haru and legosi

Its been translated, I was more interested in the extremely brief cameos than this issues main characters. Bill, Louis AND one of the lions!? Such a tease chapter. Hopefully they get some more focus before this series crashes. Some Seabun would be nice too.

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1221914/1

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chapter should have been in Beastars imo. Saying this because more chapters like this would have helped Beastars in the long run.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cainer posted:

Its been translated, I was more interested in the extremely brief cameos than this issues main characters. Bill, Louis AND one of the lions!? Such a tease chapter.

that was just a run-of-the-mill lion, not one of the shishigumi

liking the implication that louis has an entire conga line of people who mauled him and want to say sorry now that he's a billionaire, though

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

Electric Phantasm posted:

Chapter should have been in Beastars imo. Saying this because more chapters like this would have helped Beastars in the long run.

Agreed. This was a nice, little date episode that would of given the main series a good breathing point. The art was cute too.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
More Beast Complex and what a wtf chapter this one is:

https://mangadex.org/chapter/1231650/1

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

:stare:

:stonk:

:stonklol:

Yeah, that...uh...okay

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Weird internet-stuff aside, a pretty straightforward chapter about understanding the people around you.

But let's throw out some warnings, just in case: suicide, vore

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
I know that using anthro characters lets you tell some interesting stories, but wow. That was a fun twist to the plot.

Animal absurdity aside, I think the overall theme is a good one.

that opening shot of the classroom is dark tho. Ugh

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Ya that was a pretty dang dark start but it's what the teacher said that really caught me off guard and now I can't stop thinking about what a PE class for snakes is like, just a ton slithering in circles? No limb push ups?

Cainer fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 4, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for that matter, what kind of vegetarian meal could make a snake near-cylindrical? that’d be a lot of soy patties

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

for that matter, what kind of vegetarian meal could make a snake near-cylindrical? that’d be a lot of soy patties

tbf, just look at Rokume (that one chapter giant snake guard). Snakes must have the best buffet lines in Beastars with how big they can get :v:

these last few chapters have just been killing it with how amazing they've been. Gotta give Paru props for that after Beastars wet fart of an ending.

Cainer
May 8, 2008
Yes I am enjoying this a great deal more than that mish mash of abandoned plot lines and forgotten characters that was Beastars. Still crossing my fingers for more cameos though, just not more of Legosi and Haru. After their run I just can't bring myself to give a poo poo about them anymore.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Looks like anime skipped Gosha flashback. Maybe they are saving it for season 3 tease, or maybe they've decided they won't be making it, so introducing hybrid stuff isn't worth it. Legosi eating a bug and regrowing his fur also got skipped, so I guess he's just going to be shaved for the rest of the season.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Forgall posted:

Looks like anime skipped Gosha flashback. Maybe they are saving it for season 3 tease, or maybe they've decided they won't be making it, so introducing hybrid stuff isn't worth it. Legosi eating a bug and regrowing his fur also got skipped, so I guess he's just going to be shaved for the rest of the season.

Wait, no trippy talk with the bug he ate? Lame.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
I’m still so pissed we didn’t get the scene in the manga with Louis just owning the poo poo out of bill with his gun

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that scene was eye-catching but really didn't make any sense in retrospect, so i can understand why it was cut

for this season, though, it just seems like they straight-up don't have enough room to fit everything in

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I guess this arc had a lot more stuff than I remembered, thought they would have been able to fit everything in.

But hey this is pretty good news for a theoretical next season!

Cainer
May 8, 2008
New Beast Complex just hit https://mangadex.org/chapter/1239580/1

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"What kind of PERVERT would come dressed to a sea funeral?"

:allears:

Really wish we got more of...everything else in Beastars, and I'm glad that's basically what Complex is, because it's a lot of fun

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Technowolf posted:

Wait, no trippy talk with the bug he ate? Lame.
There's a preview image for next episode with his fur back so we might get it after all.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Forgall posted:

There's a preview image for next episode with his fur back so we might get it after all.

I'm hoping the Gosha flashbacks get folded into that.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Totally read the "10 minutes later" in the Spongebob narrator voice.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Just finished the manga today. I'm a bit disappointed, mostly underwhelmed, but I'm excited to see what Paru does next. I still consider it one of my favourites because despite the glaring flaws towards the end it still did a lot of new and exciting things I hadn't seen in manga before.

Also, despite the meandering around and dropping plot threads all over the place, I'm just happy to not have to see Melon doing his edge lord bullshit on my screen anymore.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

DamnitGannet posted:

Just finished the manga today. I'm a bit disappointed, mostly underwhelmed, but I'm excited to see what Paru does next. I still consider it one of my favourites because despite the glaring flaws towards the end it still did a lot of new and exciting things I hadn't seen in manga before.

Also, despite the meandering around and dropping plot threads all over the place, I'm just happy to not have to see Melon doing his edge lord bullshit on my screen anymore.

He started out interesting but quickly went down the drain as things went on. If you haven't already checked it out Paru is currently working on Beast Complex, basically short stories in the Beastars universe. Couple of new and old side characters got some love, Haru and Lego too. I find it much much nicer then what Beastars became.

Edit: Forgot to mention, this is a renewed series. I think it was originally only 6 issues long but after Beastars ended Paru starting updating it again.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Mar 12, 2021

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
She also did the short manga Bota Bota, a story about a woman who wants to have an intimate relationship but her germaphobia keeps getting in the way.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Oh yes, thanks to this thread I have been catching up on Beast Complex. I didn't know she was still doing it so it was a pleasant surprise for me.

I liked Melon when he first appeared, I thought it was neat to have an antagonist that really shook Legosi because of his hybrid origins, but he got tired very quickly. I explained it to my wife as Melon having too many fingers in too many pies, he is only one man so how is he a part time professor, and a therapist, and a mob boss, and also an ivory trader, and also he's running the drug circuit, and also he's involved with that sexy club scene, and.. some other stuff I may have forgotten, but it was just TOO much for one character. When I was younger I made characters just like Melon; so tortured and evil and so warped and twisted oh hohoho he's like the animal joker! So edgy and always one step ahead. I'm cutting Paru some slack on that because she is young and this is her first long-running series so she's going to make newbie mistakes like that, but god.. there was a point during my read through where i was dreading the next chapter because I knew we were due for another Melon appearance.

Geez.. real quick, some more thoughts on Melon.. are we supposed to think that he's as hosed up as he is because he's a hybrid or because of how he was raised? I see a lot of takes online that imply it's his mom's fault he's like this, but we have lots of characters with a totally hosed upbringing and relationship with their parents and they arent the twisted edge lord Melon is. For that matter, I remember seeing at least one carnivore/herbivore child in the daycare scene with Gosha so we know they are out there and I doubt every single kid like that is going to be the next Melon. Just seems like an excuse for why he's so hosed in the head, i don't know.

Some more thoughts before I forget, I really hope that when it comes time to adapt that part of the series (and i'm really hoping they continue to adapt it because the anime is so beautiful and great and aaaaagh i love it so much) that they rework the whole melon thing, either by trimming some of the fat or just cutting big chunks of it out all together. Also can we cut everything with Kyuun too? Everything with her made me feel so skeevy and I still don't know what Melon gained from her information, it didn't seem like it helped anyone.

DamnitGannet fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 12, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
yeah you basically just ran through the greatest hits of this thread's discourse for the last year or so. it's widely agreed that melon was a plot-gobbling creator's pet and kyuu was both pointless and kind of loathsome

as for why melon turned out the way he did, there was a wild 180 on the nature vs nurture answer that almost feels like his story was completely rewritten midway through the arc. as soon as his mother is brought up, his sense angst almost never comes up again. instead he spends every scene caterwauling about his parents while his mother becomes more psychotically creepy with every flashback, capped off with that howler of a chapter where yafya tells the readers that melon's deadbeat dad is the biggest villain of all

Cainer
May 8, 2008

DamnitGannet posted:

Also can we cut everything with Kyuun too? Everything with her made me feel so skeevy and I still don't know what Melon gained from her information, it didn't seem like it helped anyone.

But how will Lego survive without his stand or big bunny titties! Or Kyuun's best friend and inseparable companion who even the author forgot about?

As for Melon I think his biggest issue was that Paru knew the series was nearing it's end and she didn't have any other antagonists on the ready so Melon got supercharged into a master super sized villain, hell he even got jacked for the big boss fight. Quite honestly I was really expecting Yahya to be the last boss, out with the old guard and all that, setting up either Louis Lego or the both of them to be the next contenders.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 12, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Remember that time that Yafya revealed that he fertilizes his carrot garden with the remains of all the carnivores he's brutally vigilante murdered?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
Usually I don't believe in the "suddenly got cancelled" explanation for a manga ending poorly, but Legosi and Louis were so obviously set up to become the eponymous Beastars, the fact that it didn't happen and the idea of The Beastar ended up being pretty meaningless that it's hard to believe there wasn't an unexpected huge sudden change of course near the end.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

I really do get big 'wasnt planning to end it this early but here we are' vibes from it all. Maybe Paru got burned out? Maybe the publisher made some decisions she didnt have a say in? Who knows, but I feel kinda bad for her. Some people have been really lovely about it and saying what a terrible person she is and how this whole journey has been a huge waste of their time. We'll probably never know what went on behind the scenes but I'm sympathetic nonetheless

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

Kanos posted:

Remember that time that Yafya revealed that he fertilizes his carrot garden with the remains of all the carnivores he's brutally vigilante murdered?

I remember that. I remember thinking he was being set up to be the big bad, but it turns out the real big bads are the deadbeat dads we met along the way.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

DamnitGannet posted:

I really do get big 'wasnt planning to end it this early but here we are' vibes from it all. Maybe Paru got burned out? Maybe the publisher made some decisions she didnt have a say in? Who knows, but I feel kinda bad for her. Some people have been really lovely about it and saying what a terrible person she is and how this whole journey has been a huge waste of their time. We'll probably never know what went on behind the scenes but I'm sympathetic nonetheless

Burn out is very likely the culprit, one week between writing, drawing and inking a chapter must make for a hellishly stressful crunch especially if you're running out of material. It seemed like she had a plan for things all through the high school arc but the second lego left school things started to unravel. Hell if I remember right the very next issue had him back to school, then he drops out again later?! Like she couldn't decide what way the comic should be going and just kinda jumped from whatever thing she thought she could make a story out of.

Still, I'm very happy she's still continuing things with Beast Complex and since the short story format lets her just do whatever with whichever characters she wants hopefully makes it easier and less stress inducing.

Kanos posted:

Ya I really thought he was going to end up being one of if not the main antagonists with his governmentally sanctioned murder-batman thing but then he just kinda retires to be a regular kinda murder-batman? Did not see that coming.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
raws for the latest episode are out, and guess who cameos

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Oxxidation posted:

Spent like a minute trying to figure out who this dog is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Two little quick cameos even!