Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Izzhov
Dec 6, 2013

My head hurts.

This is a new film by Robert Eggers, who also wrote and directed The Witch (2015). There are several similarities with that film: both have an attention to detail and historical accuracy, from the setting to the dialogue. Both center around extremely small casts (The Lighthouse's being even smaller, with only two real characters in the film, played by Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson), who are in both cases isolated from the rest of society, and both films heavily explore themes of the dysfunctional and toxic interpersonal relationships among the characters.

This film was loving excellent. Probably even better than The Witch. One thing I wasn't prepared for was just how drat funny it was! I laughed so much, it was really surprising since The Witch didn't really have many laughs that I can recall. The cinematography is top-notch and sets the mood beautifully. There is one shot in particular that reminded me heavily of director David Lynch and may stick with me for the rest of my life.

If you care at all about horror or artsy movies, go see this film.

Izzhov fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Oct 20, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Probably going to catch this over the weekend. I'm really looking forward to it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Man, 2019 has been a good year for horror films where I need to sit through the credits, not because I'm expecting an extra scene but because I needed five minutes to process what the gently caress I just saw

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This movie is hilarious and I loved watching Dafoe make a meal of all his monologues. As a horror it wasn’t as effective as The Witch imo but it’s still probably equally enjoyable because of the character work and comedy

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

I saw this film and liked it very much. Generally I'm not one for horror, but this was a lot of fun!

My favorite part was the dialogue, because I love period dialogue even though I wouldn't know if it was totally wrong.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I think I liked this better than The Witch? And I consider The Witch to be a near masterpiece. I'd like to see this again to confirm.

My screening had a Q&A with Eggers, Dafoe and Patterson. In it, Patterson relayed a story about how he went to Eggers with a YouTube video of a very drunk bro in a confrontation with the cameraman. The cameraman kept yelling, "What'cha gonna do?! What'cha gonna do?!" Bro responded, "I'm gonna teach you how to gently caress!"

Patterson asked if this was pretty much the movie. Eggers said it was.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Just wanna chime in with an opposite opinion - I thought this was no where near as good as The Witch and kind of bordering on bad. The acting and cinematography were great but everything else fell pretty flat for me. The comedic elements lost some punch because there was no tension or dread to feel relief from. I think it could have also been about half an hour shorter and lost absolutely nothing.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
Was fairly disappointed with this movie. Dafoe was great and cinematography was good, I felt the story was flat. It was evasive when it should have been direct and opaque when it shoud have been clear. The result was by the second half of the movie I found it hard to stay invested in the characters. Also, Robert Pattinson tried really hard in this film but it had the opposite effect of what he wanted, and instead of seeing a character just being like Dafoe I was very aware I was watching an actor act.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Dafoe's monologue was loving amazing. I would rewatch it again just for that. The punchline was pretty good, too.

I would not call this movie a horror in the slightest, though. I'm not even sure it ever purposefully tried to evoke fear? At most it would be a thriller?

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I'm not sure how to discuss this film critically, because its choices are so stylized and particular. Like, I couldn't argue why it's good in any formalist sense. Here's this loving weird fever dream Robert Eggers had. You can either go along with it or you can't. I went along with it, though, and had a good time.

Definitely, Willem Dafoe as a drunk, insane lighthouse keeper is a role I never knew I needed from him. They're both great, but Dafoe is a goddamn national treasure.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

This movie isn't play anywhere in my city or near it, so I'm hoping it ends up where it gets a rerelease of sorts because of buzz and my theaters pick it up like they did Shape of Water.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Gonna go see this tonight by myself because none of my friends want to see it. Their loss! Literally the second time in my life I've ever seen a movie in a theater by myself and I'm stoked.

Edit: I should add that I loved The Witch and totally understand that this film is far less horror-oriented. I just want to jump on board and watch these guys go crazy.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

I'm watching both this and Parasite back-to-back tomorrow tonight. We'll have a 15-minute break between showings. My body is probably not ready.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Ok this was incredible but I’m baffled by the imagery at the end of the movie. It seems like a fairly straightforward sea curse tail and then it pretty explicitly visually references Prometheus and it completely threw out any interpretations I had of the movie.

weekly font fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 25, 2019

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
this movie rules

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
This movie had both a “Seagull Trainer” and a “Head Seagull Trainer” in the credits.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
This movie was not anything near what I expected in the best possible way. That was such a wild loving experience. It’s so absolutely relentless too once you hop on the crazy train it just goes and never lets you off. Also at first I was annoyed by the aspect ratio because it seemed kind of antiquated for no real reason but as the movie began to get more claustrophobic I realized how intentional that aspect ratio was. I really loved this film.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

The_Rob posted:

This movie was not anything near what I expected in the best possible way. That was such a wild loving experience. It’s so absolutely relentless too once you hop on the crazy train it just goes and never lets you off. Also at first I was annoyed by the aspect ratio because it seemed kind of antiquated for no real reason but as the movie began to get more claustrophobic I realized how intentional that aspect ratio was. I really loved this film.

Yes yes yes co-signed in all of this. The editing also makes the movie feel uncontrolled in addition to the score drifting in and out of the island and light houses sounds.

Oh if anyone has listened to it does the A24 podcast with Eggers and Aster have Midsommar spoilers?

weekly font fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Oct 25, 2019

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

I'm still sorta reeling about this film and I have a lot of thoughts. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about these ambiguities:

Was the head in the lobster trap a hallucination? I assumed it was, but then I had trouble reading Dafoe's reaction when Pattinson brings it up. I couldn't tell whether he was surprised that Pattinson had found his secret, or if he was just shocked by the suggestion.

I'm wondering what the drowned bird represented.

Was Dafoe lying to Pattinson about the boat and axe? It's so hard to know because sometimes Dafoe was gaslighting Pattinson, and other times Pattinson was just straight up nuts. Possible that there's no answer to this one, I just thought it was interesting.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, I think the ambiguity is the point. But I believe that he was gaslighting Pattinson about who destroyed the rowboat and chased after whom with an axe—based on him doing so again after being buried alive and stating his reason for doing so as being to keep "his" light. If that's the case, then he'd also gone fully mad and I could easily see him killing the previous guy.

It'd be even easier to swallow if Dafoe had reported that his previous assistant had been swept out to sea by a squall, though, as even during this era it'd be mighty suspicious if the other guy never came back to land. The boat crew would very likely be expecting a new passenger and would question why he wasn't boarding.

But I think that the drowned bird (which looked pretty torn apart to me) echoed the head being found in the lobster trap. But it could be either foreshadowing of reality or the seed of the idea for Pattinson's vision of the head depending on your take.

Anyway, this is my favorite film of the year, hands-down. I just want to live inside of it.

Also I want all of their clothing as my own. Where can I buy sweaters and shirts like Pattinson's on a budget?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 25, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Seaniqua posted:

I'm still sorta reeling about this film and I have a lot of thoughts. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about these ambiguities:

Was the head in the lobster trap a hallucination? I assumed it was, but then I had trouble reading Dafoe's reaction when Pattinson brings it up. I couldn't tell whether he was surprised that Pattinson had found his secret, or if he was just shocked by the suggestion.

I'm wondering what the drowned bird represented.

Was Dafoe lying to Pattinson about the boat and axe? It's so hard to know because sometimes Dafoe was gaslighting Pattinson, and other times Pattinson was just straight up nuts. Possible that there's no answer to this one, I just thought it was interesting.

It's whatever you want. Read some of the interviews with the director. They just smushed a lot of concepts together, sometimes with just the imagery first. You can..tell. Meanwhile the lead actor (pattinson) played it like someone going totally insane and then its also vaguely based on a real incident with two lighthouse keepers trapped in a storm in 1801. Then there's the whole obvious nods to them being prometheus and proteus which goes at odds with all the other concepts of the premise...so it's..whatever you want honestly. Hell you could say he dies after being dropped on that cleaner platform thing and the rest of the movie from there is just death imagery and it wouldn't be any less valid then the other theories.

I like it as a david lynch meets f.w. murnau film, but it's not a typical narrative-based film whatsoever. It's pretty though, some of the shots are nuts. My audience took it as a comedy and laughed a lot at just about everything that happened (the seagull scene especially) so that was real fuckin' weird.

Also is it just me or is "masterpiece" the laziest marketing term of 2019. I've seen about 12 posters with that large quote front and center this year alone.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

This is real similar to how I read all those things, so I'm glad I wasn't the only one. As far as the clothing goes, I'm pretty sure you're out of luck as far as the budget goes. Those mofos looked 100% wool.

zer0spunk posted:

...its also vaguely based on a real incident with two lighthouse keepers trapped in a storm in 1801.

Whoa, I didn't know this. Interesting read. Also, I didn't realize a movie with the same name and premise came out a few years ago. If I had to guess I'd say that one is less weird than this one.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I found Dafoe’s gaslighting really well done as well and agreed with the axe. It really builds to that point where it’s less “you were drunk” and full on “these are not the droids you’re looking for” poo poo. The full on magical realism of that is why I thought him turning into Neptune while getting strangled was going to be the actual ending.

In fact there’s like six times we could have had an actual ending.

PS: One of the most intense scenes for me was him precariously carrying the chamber pots along the slippery rocks. In my head I was screaming just dump it anywhere! The punchline to it was chef kiss though.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Cross posting my thoughts here

Goddamn what a treat. Equal parts Kubrick (tonally) and Hitchcock (visually) while being a wholly unique thing. The drinking scenes were reminiscent of Jaws and just as enjoyable. Pattinson is just as great as Dafoe here too. Eggers is definitely one of the best of his generation and I hope he keeps getting to do weird stuff. Definitely see it in theaters, the cinematography is spectacular and the aspect ratio is used very well.

I’d be interested in a deep dive of both the Greek and Lovecraftian elements this draws upon. My favorite shot of the film was naked Dafoe standing over Winslow with light beaming out of his eyes. Just incredibly well done

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 25, 2019

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

I’d be interested in a deep dive of both the Greek and Lovecraftian elements this draws upon. My favorite shot of the film was naked Dafoe standing over Winslow with light beaming out of his eyes. Just incredibly well done

drat I loved this part. There was so much going on in that shot it made me wish I could pause it.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Seaniqua posted:

drat I loved this part. There was so much going on in that shot it made me wish I could pause it.

I wonder if it's referencing a painting like the final shot is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

weekly font posted:

PS: One of the most intense scenes for me was him precariously carrying the chamber pots along the slippery rocks. In my head I was screaming just dump it anywhere! The punchline to it was chef kiss though.

Same. It can't be understated how funny this film is, which was solidified pretty early on by Dafoe's farts.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Don't spill yer beans is a pretty great catchphrase

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Bastard Tetris posted:

This movie had both a “Seagull Trainer” and a “Head Seagull Trainer” in the credits.

Eggers is also on record saying seagulls are better actors than goats :lol:

Also I loved the use of the square aspect ratio. I wasn't sure how dedicated it was going to be to it until that first shot framing the lighthouse building in it's entirety so well. The more vertical an aspect ratio, the more weight given to height and vertical elements in each shot, which this movie used really well with characters standing above one another, the landscape shots positioning Dafoe up hgh, etc. It also makes centered compositions feel more symmetrical when the horizontals and verticals are equal distance from center, which was used sparingly but really well too. I need to look up more from the cinematographer because it was so good.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Oct 25, 2019

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

Speaking of using vertical space, I was blown away by the shot ascending straight up the outside of the lighthouse. Made it seem so imposing, like it was never going to end.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

weekly font posted:

My art knowledge is poo poo. What painting was it referencing?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Seaniqua posted:

Speaking of using vertical space, I was blown away by the shot ascending straight up the outside of the lighthouse. Made it seem so imposing, like it was never going to end.

The way it moved so normally before that ascent was really something too. Made that rapid long ascent way more intense.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
I wrote my thoughts here at the risk of self-promoting. I really liked it.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I'm going to talk about the Rime of the Ancient Mariner.

I took the a ton of this film to be in reference to Rime of the Ancient Mariner, a giant poem wherein said Mariner kills an albatross and dooms his ship. It's a very famous poem and has a ton of parallels:

At length did cross an Albatross,
Through the fog it came;
As if it had been a Christian soul,
We hailed it in God's name.

And I had done a hellish thing,
And it would work 'em woe:
For all averred, I killed the bird
That made the breeze to blow.
Ah wretch! said they, the bird to slay,
That made the breeze to blow!

The very deep did rot: O Christ!
That ever this should be!
Yea, slimy things did crawl with legs
Upon the slimy sea.

And in some dreams assured were
Of the Spirit that plagued us so;
Nine fathom deep he had followed us
From the land of mist and snow.

And more, but I'm typing on a phone!

Thom and the Heads
Oct 27, 2010

Farscape is actually pretty cool.
Saw this - loved it. Kind of wish there were subtitles. I think I may have like this more than the Witch

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I didn't expect it to be 90% a comedy and 10% completely unsettling.

I'm going to have to let this one marinate because there's a lot of ways the story could be interpreted, but overall I enjoyed it. Way more than The VVitch. I loving hated The VVitch.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

fishing with the fam posted:

My art knowledge is poo poo. What painting was it referencing?

Do a GIS search on Greek Prometheus

remote control carnivore
May 7, 2009

weekly font posted:

Google “hypnose” by schneider. Apologies for the lazy mobile post, but this woodcut is the scene exactly.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If I had a big, bloody rare steak right now I'd gently caress it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
I liked it, but I am more than a little disappointed that Proteus and Prometheus didn't gently caress