Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

NienNunb posted:

If I had a big, bloody rare steak right now I'd gently caress it

The look Dafoe gives after this line is so loving funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Kinda wanna see a cut of this movie that's been put through at least seven crappifying filters and only airs at 3am on TCM.

It really feels like a movie out of the 30s, that era of Universal monster movies, and not just because of the aspect ratio and the black and white cinematography.

Also, drat, I don't think this is the greatest movie ever (even though I liked it) but Dafoe deserves a nom here.

The_Rob posted:

The look Dafoe gives after this line is so loving funny.

I've been saying 'yer fond of me lobster' everywhere I go for the past day.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Don't spill yer beannnssssssssssssssssssssssssss

But no one would go see this with me and I don't know anyone that went so no one gets it :\

e: this is such a dumb movie but i love so many of the sequences and shots in it...that one shot of them just fuckin' CHUGGING the booze from the bottles like it was a race was a personal fav.

the fact that pattinson was blind drunk making this, and the weather was actually that hosed really stand out..both of those things are usually faked for good reasons

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 27, 2019

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I've been a real pervert the last 24 hours since seeing the movie and listening to nothing but sea shanties. Need to ingrain myself as much as humanly possible into 1800s Nautical Culture.

https://youtu.be/ZIwzRkjn86w

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

NienNunb posted:

I've been a real pervert the last 24 hours since seeing the movie and listening to nothing but sea shanties. Need to ingrain myself as much as humanly possible into 1800s Nautical Culture.

The making of this movie makes me love it more and more with every new thing. Apparently they used slow film stock (high contrast b/w stock with very little shadow or highlight leeway on exposure) so the lights are crazy rear end bright in the shots and the actors can barely see each other.
or the fact that they barely spoke to each other on set or after, until they finished filming, but both chilled with the crew.
the weather alone would make me hate working on this thing, but it musta been hilarious to be a part of.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

NienNunb posted:

appropriate song to start with since this was filmed in Nova Scotia :canada:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This movie was loving hilarious. Ruled.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
You know I liked The VVitch pretty well but this honestly leaves it behind. What a show! What a gloriously messy, weird, and crazy time. They capture the grimy drudgery of the situation so well that when things start to go off it's cathartic.

Worth it just to see Dafoe and Pattinson square off, of course Willem Dafoe is great, but it's also nice to see Pattinson get to go ham. And not just right away, he builds to it nicely. (There were times he seemed to be channeling Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood but I think that's just the accent.)

One of the year's most entertaining films easy.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

remote control carnivore posted:

Google “hypnose” by schneider. Apologies for the lazy mobile post, but this woodcut is the scene exactly.

Thank you so much for this.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Yeah, that's obviously the inspiration, but the scene has Winslow crawling looking up and Tom standing over him in an almost Zeus-throwing-a-lightning-bolt olympian pose that was even more imposing and impressive.

quote:

Robert Eggers: Very cool. I'll say—with shame—that particular shot is a rip-off of a Symbolist painter named Sascha Schneider. It's an image called "Hypnose." My composition is different, but just like it stuck with you, it stuck with me! It seemed appropriate for this story.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Who is supposed to be depicted in the woodcut?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
This is one of those movies like MOTHER or MANDY or A FIELD IN ENGLAND where I leave in a daze and need a couple days to process. What a bizarre spectacle... As of right now, I think I don't fully get it, but I think I love it the most of any 2019 movie anyway? i don't know??!

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
This was a very good movie and cements my "oh yeah Robert Pattinson is really good when he's not starring in trash" opinion even if Dafoe chews all the scenery and steals every scene he's in.

One thing I really appreciated and provably the biggest 'surprise' was that I expected kind of a standard descent as the isolation and drinking get to them but no we see that each of them is crazy from the very first night, it just comes out more the longer the film goes on.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Wolfsheim posted:

This was a very good movie and cements my "oh yeah Robert Pattinson is really good when he's not starring in trash" opinion even if Dafoe chews all the scenery and steals every scene he's in.

Good Time was that movie for me, I'm glad he made infinity dollars from Twilight so he can just make weird poo poo for A24 forever

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

And he's probably gonna make more if he does more than 1 movie as Batman

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The last few years have been insane for great Pattinson roles

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The last few years have been insane for great Pattinson roles

Kristen Stewart isn't slouching either, Personal Shopper was fantastic. But yeah, Pattinson's lineup is something else.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Good Time was that movie for me, I'm glad he made infinity dollars from Twilight so he can just make weird poo poo for A24 forever

I liked Good Time, hated High Life (though that wasnt his fault), then loved the Lighthouse so it's been kind of a rollercoaster for me

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Wolfsheim posted:

I liked Good Time, hated High Life (though that wasnt his fault), then loved the Lighthouse so it's been kind of a rollercoaster for me

good time is awesome, high life is trash. so it's not him.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pattinson single-handedly made High Life worth watching. Just a single compelling character in a dull, uninspired movie.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

At the theater and all over the building you can hear the foghorn from The Lighthouse and all I want to do is cancel my plans and rewatch it.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
Beautiful stuff: a face wreathed in shadow captured on grainy black and white film, made 20ft tall. So many gorgeous frames in this movie. Good God is Willem Dafoe beautiful.

In optical science, it's such a spooky paradox that you could coat a lens with some substance and that it would then somehow transmit more light. I thought about that again after seeing The Lighthouse- maybe significant. In any case, I hope this movie makes it's money back and that Jarin Blaschke is recognized.

Dilkington fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Nov 3, 2019

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ye like me lobster

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
Just got back from this myself; sat through the credits because I had to get all my giggles out (and because I really dug the credits song, I love sea shanties).

OP isn't kidding about how funny it is; I could listen to Willem Dafoe make gloriously unhinged rants all day. I can't really compare it to The Witch (because that's kinda comparing apples and oranges), but it's very, very good and I'm glad I saw it in a theater.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Winslow hits the nail on the head when he call Tom a parody of captain Ahab. Dude's nautical curses are perfection.

I have a question about the logbook. Would it still even be readable after floating around in the water for a few hours?.

alpha_destroy fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 2, 2019

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
I liked this one, it’s a lot of fun. That said, for all it’s symbolism I have no idea what it’s actually trying to say.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Ye like me lobster

Yer fond of me lobster aren't ye

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

readingatwork posted:

I liked this one, it’s a lot of fun. That said, for all it’s symbolism I have no idea what it’s actually trying to say.

To put it in the most succinct terms:

Winslow's entire problem is that he accurately ascertains that Wake is, like all of his old bosses, just some gibbering old fool who degrades, exploits, and gaslights him while using pretenses of the righteousness of "honest work" in order to make him think that, by accepting his circumstance in this petty hierarchy, that he can someday prove himself worthy of getting to his own transcendent "light" - But, he himself is nonetheless invested in a fantasy where this "light," this obscure object of desire, is actually a tangible thing that will somehow magically emancipate him.

The key to the film is to disaggregate Winslow's obvious madness from the fact that he himself is not just a madman. All of this stuff where he, like, envisions that Wake is transformed by the lighthouse into some minor deity is all in his head; but this fantasy in and of itself is not inaccurate so to speak because, in a certain sense, it effectively stands in for the vulgar ways in which even these two objectively beaten down, working class characters find themselves in a kind of microcosmic class hierarchy. Contrast Wake's husbandry with "the light" (the characters literally personify it as feminine), and Winslow out on the rocks loving the much more visceral, vulgar mermaid. In reality, both characters are just masturbating - the fluid that drips through the grates is literally just Wake's semen, not, like, tentacle slime. Similarly, "the light" is literally just a light. So the true madness is not anything to do with Winslow's mounting paranoia or feelings of resentment/emasculation with regards to Wake. That's what's actually happening at both an interpersonal and political level. The mad part isn't even the maritime, mythological terms in which it's represented. The madness is this delusion that both characters share, that "the light" they covet will somehow emancipate them.

So the irony becomes that, while Wake is absolutely the antagonist of the film, and Winslow is a tragic hero, the latter's failure to de-personalize his struggle - to make it not about what Wake is denying him, but about what the system is actively doing to them both - means that the former's prophecy, that Winslow will be totally consumed by the sea as this total embodiment of predatory natural order, comes true. Hence, the rather "objective" image of Winslow finally reaching the light and orgasming, only to get weak in the knees and fall to his death vs. the magical realist image of Winslow being splayed out and abject in a completely different place being picked apart by the haunting spirits of the dead (the gulls).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I imagine drinking nothing but rotgut and tainted water is probably not too easy on the ol psyche either

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I wasn’t expecting the ending to be basically

this (I feel like my cinema’s speakers were suffering the entire film).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5haFXU3TJY

curlys gold
Jan 17, 2018

Feel good movie of the holiday season.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I am absolutely smitten with this movie. I could watch it again tomorrow and probably enjoy myself just as much.

*fart*

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Great movie, lived up to the hype I felt even if I still prefer The Witch. It’s like if Algernon Blackwood wrote something like Wake in Fright.

stratofarius posted:

Yer fond of me lobster aren't ye

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

readingatwork posted:

This movie is saying ”yo gently caress your dumbass manager, and if nobody is around then beat his stupid rear end up because he sure af is not your boss anymore. And also be sure not to drink the kool-aid or you’ll be eaten by seagulls.”

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 4, 2019

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Jay-V posted:

This movie is saying ”yo gently caress your dumbass manager, and if nobody is around then beat his stupid rear end up because he sure af is not your boss anymore. And also be sure not to drink the kool-aid or you’ll be eaten by seagulls.”

That being said, beating your boss up won't get your dad to love you.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Actually the movie is saying fart fart fart haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaark cum

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Moral of the film: Don't spill your beans.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Both The Lighthouse and The Witch tell us to show animals more respect.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Messages of The Lighthouse:

1. Do not spar with a seabird.
2. Do not spill your beans.
3. Always do your chores.
4. Do not insult a man's lobster dish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner