Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

rivetz posted:

Saw this last night and enjoyed it, mostly for the same reasons as everyone else here. This is hard to articulate, but...artsy or challenging movies can frustrate me if the enjoyment of the film is too heavily contingent on "getting" it. I really appreciated that none of the weirdness hinged on grasping some clever detail or perspective. The weirder poo poo got, the more comforting it was to be reminded of a foundational truth: If you cannot figure out why something is happening or what something means, or if something is even real, you can safely fill in the blank with "because he/they are going fuckin nuts". It sounds self-evident, I guess, but I dunno, it was really helpful to have insights or revelations add to my enjoyment, yet not have the absence of an insight or revelation detract from my enjoyment.

Curious if anyone else caught this: there's a shot around the first half or so I think shortly following a Winslow mermaid sex vision where Winslow's secretly observing Wake sleeping and man did the camera angle make it look like Wake's chest had a breast? Was that a) some lingering piece of the mermaid experience, b) evidence of Protean shape-shifting, c) nothing, just the camera angle on Wake's ribcage? Anyone else see this?

I think its c. Defoe just has a weird torso, he’s like if a skeleton worked out or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I believe that it's been pulverized and it's body is contorted. It may even be two birds. I wish there were a screen grab for that shot, to know for sure.

i agree with this, mostly because of how similar in appearance the gull in the cistern is to the one Winslow pulverizes. Just a stretched out mess of sinew and feathers.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I also really appreciated the jet-black humor of those loving wheelbarrow runs. Things just keep sinking further and further into despair and madness and every time Winslow appeared trundling that wheelbarrow along that rocky track, I'd think to myself, ahh, good idea, let's embark on this nightmarish grueling chore for the billionth time. I wonder what surprises await our hero this time? Will a demonic siren appear amongst the rocks, I wonder? Will this be the time that Winslow lifts the wheelbarrow into the air and drops it on his own fuckin head in a pathetic attempt to kill himself? Whoops, nope, he just tripped and spilled all the fuckin coal! Darn it! It's always something, isn't it? As things got loopier and loopier, the repetition couldn't help but remind me of some Looney Tunes analogy, Yosemite Sam running up that ladder again and again, doomed to fall into the dunk tank every time.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

rivetz posted:

I also really appreciated the jet-black humor of those loving wheelbarrow runs. Things just keep sinking further and further into despair and madness and every time Winslow appeared trundling that wheelbarrow along that rocky track, I'd think to myself, ahh, good idea, let's embark on this nightmarish grueling chore for the billionth time. I wonder what surprises await our hero this time? Will a demonic siren appear amongst the rocks, I wonder? Will this be the time that Winslow lifts the wheelbarrow into the air and drops it on his own fuckin head in a pathetic attempt to kill himself? Whoops, nope, he just tripped and spilled all the fuckin coal! Darn it! It's always something, isn't it? As things got loopier and loopier, the repetition couldn't help but remind me of some Looney Tunes analogy, Yosemite Sam running up that ladder again and again, doomed to fall into the dunk tank every time.

The wheelbarrow scenes could also be interpreted as a Sisyphus type punishment for his past crimes, murdering his old boss.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen it twice now, and there's a big through-line that I picked up on the 2nd viewing that I haven't seen mentioned yet. The topic is a little off-putting, and spoilers some stuff, but I think it's interesting and ties a few loose points together.

Winslow is afraid that Thomas is going to rape him throughout the film.

Winslow doesn't drink for two reasons: 1) he is an alcoholic and a violent drunk, 2) he does not want to be taken advantage of, sexually, by Thomas

During their first interaction in the kitchen, Thomas refers to Winslow in feminine terms. At first it seems derogatory, but it's also like he's negging him, much like PUA. The conversation ends with "Don't get upset with me, I'm just calling you cute."

Thomas invites Winslow to drink on their first night out of genuine comradery, but also to lower Winslow's guard. Winslow instead drinks the dirty water. Of course, Winslow is correct in the assertion that keeping sailors drunk is a form of suppression, but it also makes them more vulnerable

The scene with the Thomas by the light with tentacles is a dream sequence. It is introduced with Winslow laying in his bed, trying to sleep. It cuts immediately to a dream or a waking fantasy. The tentacles and the ooze-like semen are nightmarish elaborations of his mind fearing Thomas's sexual predation. Tentacles are phallic, and imply being tethered and held against your will, strangulation, binding. The ooze is a fear of ejaculate.

There are many moments where Winslow says "I know what yer doin'." This is after Winslow has gaslit him a few times, but it seems to imply something greater, more sinister, but it doesn't seem to relate to his paranoid idea of keeping away the light.

As vague as it is, Winslow's story of his fellow logger dying seems to come from a fear of homosexuality. Either the man also came onto Winslow, or made a pass, or Winslow was paranoid in thinking the man had sexual proclivities to him, Winslow's response was violence. He responds to Thomas's attempt to kiss him with fists, and proceeds to beat the poo poo out of him. Again, this is premeditated with Winslow saying "I know what you're doing."

Thomas kills a gull and puts it in the water supply while Winslow is sleeping. This taints the water supply, making a larger force for Winslow to drink the alcohol. This is near the end of their tenure, so the reason can't only be for compliance when it comes to work or socializing. When Winslow finally accepts the drink, Thomas pours him several other large shots. If getting inebriated were the goal, a sober man would be drunk off one or two. But if you were interested in taking advantage of someone, you would give a sober person as much to drink as they can swallow.

There is enough ambiguity in the story where Thomas may not be trying to rape or have sex with Winslow, but Winslow's fear of this is genuine and pops up throughout the film, after the first night when Thomas calls him feminine and pretty.

wow..uhh.. i took that as him just talking poo poo/messing with him and not at all any of what you said in the least. like, not even in a stretching subtext kinda way, but i guess we clearly interpreted this movie in very different ways.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 8, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

zer0spunk posted:

wow..uhh.. i took that as him just talking poo poo/messing with him and not at all any of what you said in the least. like, not even in a stretching subtext kinda way, but i guess we clearly interpreted this movie in very different ways.

Well there is very literally a scene where Dafoe, after getting Pattinson poo poo-faced drunk, slow dances with him while serenading him with a love song, and then tries to kiss him, leading to Pattinson beating the poo poo out of him out of homophobia. That's not subtext, that's text. There are just other references that I picked up that follow that trend. Just the way I interpreted the film. My analysis isn't law.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Franchescanado posted:

Well there is very literally a scene where Dafoe, after getting Pattinson poo poo-faced drunk, slow dances with him while serenading him with a love song, and then tries to kiss him, leading to Pattinson beating the poo poo out of him out of homophobia. That's not subtext, that's text. There are just other references that I picked up that follow that trend. Just the way I interpreted the film. My analysis isn't law.

I likewise viewed the movie in really psychosexual terms. I mean, there is a scene where Winslow leads Wake around the grounds on a leash to dominate and humiliate him. It definitely felt like two sexually-frustrated men struggling to sort out who tops.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Yeah, it's an incredibly sexually-charged film. They slow-dance together, ffs.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
pretty much the whole movie is about fuckin

there's a mermaid vagina!

Edit: I realize this is an oversimplification but yeah it’s a major theme of the movie

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

The man that Pattinson’s character sees in the flashbacks, ambiguously an object of lust or violence, has bright blond hair that evokes the light of the lighthouse itself.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Seaniqua posted:

pretty much the whole movie is about fuckin

there's a mermaid vagina!

Edit: I realize this is an oversimplification but yeah it’s a major theme of the movie

No don’t be worried about oversimplification it’s outright text. Winslow mounts Thomas at the end in a rage and for a moment sees him as his mermaid lust waifu. Just imagine what would happen if he had a steak.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I know yer fond of me lobster!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The third act is introduced with Winslow being unable to cum anymore. That’s the final thing to break his spirit.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

weekly font posted:

No don’t be worried about oversimplification it’s outright text. Winslow mounts Thomas at the end in a rage and for a moment sees him as his mermaid lust waifu. Just imagine what would happen if he had a steak.

Robert Eggers: “Nothing good happens when two men are trapped in a giant phallus”

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

The seamen just cannot be contained, that's my takeaway

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Drunkboxer posted:

I think its c. Defoe just has a weird torso, he’s like if a skeleton worked out or something.

legit lol

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

rivetz posted:

Curious if anyone else caught this: there's a shot around the first half or so I think shortly following a Winslow mermaid sex vision where Winslow's secretly observing Wake sleeping and man did the camera angle make it look like Wake's chest had a breast? Was that a) some lingering piece of the mermaid experience, b) evidence of Protean shape-shifting, c) nothing, just the camera angle on Wake's ribcage? Anyone else see this?

Are you talking about the scene where Winslow is looking through a hole in the roof down at Wake on the bed?

Just saw the movie last night but to me it looked like Wake was laying on his stomach, hips/back arched a bit with his rear end hanging out of the back flap of his long johns, possibly masturbating or loving a hole in his mattress.

:shrug:

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Finally, someone had the gumption to show us the REAL fish sex that Shape of Water denied us. What are you doing? Get OFF off me!

*hauled away by orderlies*

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Gejimayu posted:

Did he? That almost certainly would feel intentional.

While drunkboxer covered how this is usually just an Actor Thing, I feel like it might be at least a little intentional, since the one time you see Wake actually put food in his mouth it immediately falls back out uneaten, and it's center frame in a headshot so it can't have been incidental.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I've seen a transcription of the Hark to Neptune speech but does anyone have a transcription of the speech while Tom is getting buried? I can't even make half of it out, I really wanted subtitles.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

mango sentinel posted:

I've seen a transcription of the Hark to Neptune speech but does anyone have a transcription of the speech while Tom is getting buried? I can't even make half of it out, I really wanted subtitles.

Wake: You wish to see what’s in that lantern? So did me last assistant.
Ephriam shovels mud onto Wake’S face...
Ephriam: Shut up, dog. Polish yer brasswork.
He keeps shoveling...
Wake laughs, blood pouring out of his mouth. Dying.

Wake: You said yer a God fearin’ man, Tommy? (laughs) Them’s truth, Tommy!
More dirt on him...
Wake: O what Protean forms swim up from men’s minds and melt in hot Promethean plunder scorching eyes with divine shames and horrors
More dirt on him...
Wake: and cast them down to Davy Jones. And others, still blind, yet in it see all divine graces and to Fiddler’s Green sent, where no man is suffered to want and toil, but is
More dirt on his face...
Wake: ancient
More dirt on his face...
Wake: mutable
More dirt on his face...
Wake: and unchanging girdles ‘round as the she who the globe.
More dirt...
Wake: Them’s truth. And you’ll be punished.
Wake becomes stifled from the dirt and mud.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Bless you, comrade.

Flutch
Jun 26, 2008

wholesome goons are wholesome

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Just piping in that I loved the myths woven in. That loving Prometheus imagery one-two pinch at the end was loving amazing!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I had extremely high hopes for this movie, it was part of a triad with Jojo Rabbit and Parasite I was eager to see. However, I agree with Jason Fraley and his review. This movie is terrible. I went to a completely packed arthouse showing, and was sitting there with my friend, utterly baffled. She loved the VVitch but thought this was completely meritless also, a huge relief for me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pick posted:

I had extremely high hopes for this movie, it was part of a triad with Jojo Rabbit and Parasite I was eager to see. However, I agree with Jason Fraley and his review. This movie is terrible. I went to a completely packed arthouse showing, and was sitting there with my friend, utterly baffled. She loved the VVitch but thought this was completely meritless also, a huge relief for me.

Why?

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

I'm presuming this is the review, https://wtop.com/reviews/2019/10/movie-review-light-is-on-but-no-ones-home-in-horror-film-the-lighthouse/

quoted is the only part that seems to have something to say about the movie:

Jason Fraley posted:

The script, written by Eggers and his brother Max, is a mere excuse to shoot the imagery. It leans way too heavily on fart jokes, which are hilarious in Mel Brooks campfire comedies, but feel out of tone in a horror film. It’s a sophomoric touch to a script that lacks any real female characters, save for a sex-dream mermaid amid the drinking, brawling and masturbating. It’s one thing to be artsy, but to quote Dana Stevens of Slate, this one is quite literally “artsy fartsy.”

That may suffice in an experimental film class, but not for average folks looking for a spooky date night out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

quote:

From a directing standpoint, Eggers traps both actors in an uncomfortable 4:3 aspect ratio to create a square frame for maximum claustrophobia. While such an approach works on occasion — László Nemes hid Holocaust horrors in the Hungarian “Son of Saul” (2015) — it can create a rigid viewing experience that limits peripheral mise-en-scène possibilities with an intentionally smaller canvas.

Jesus, this guy is, like, the deputy sheriff of wrongtown.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Movie doesn’t have real female characters except for dream mermaid

Movie is about two extremely lonely dudes trapped on an island and dream mermaid that serves to demonstrate one character’s detachment from reality

Checks out

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

It's a film that revels in trappings to disguise having absolutely nothing to say. It's basically a canvas for film dilettantes to project onto, but it delivers no theme to no end. It's an emperor with no clothes.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

But enough about the MCU

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The farts are super funny

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
:yeah:

Also, listen to the soundtrack on Spotify. Played the Moby Dick boardgame while listening to it last week and it was ideal. So moody and atmospheric.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Pick posted:

It's a film that revels in trappings to disguise having absolutely nothing to say. It's basically a canvas for film dilettantes to project onto, but it delivers no theme to no end. It's an emperor with no clothes.

You're supposed to project onto films, silly.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

feedmyleg posted:

:yeah:

Also, listen to the soundtrack on Spotify. Played the Moby Dick boardgame while listening to it last week and it was ideal. So moody and atmospheric.

Please tell more about this board game, I'd pay good money for something like that

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

NienNunb posted:

Please tell more about this board game, I'd pay good money for something like that

Dorky as it sounds, it's actually fantastic. It utilizes the text in really poetic and evocative ways, and the whole game is about the inevitability of Ahab's death while players attempt to slaughter as many whales as they can for as much oil as possible before fate catches up with them. Every game ends with Moby Dick killing all the players, leaving Ishmael to go on and tell the tale. I got it in a board game store but their site's here.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Pick posted:

You and the reviewer you quoted obviously failed to engage the movie. That's fine, it's not against the law. But coming into a thread of people who are engaging with the movie while refusing to do so yourself is frankly rude. If you want people to engage with you in good faith, let's start the process: What was the plot of the movie? Do you think the movie had a plot?

pospysyl fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 16, 2019

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Pick posted:

It's you. The person who unironically believes "turning off your brain" is a way to watch movies.

Like, how could anyone with two neurons to click together think this movie has no theme? *fart*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

-Carl Sagan

K. Waste posted:

You're supposed to project onto films, silly.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

The farts are super funny

This post combo but unironically