Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Seaniqua posted:

I'm still sorta reeling about this film and I have a lot of thoughts. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about these ambiguities:

Was the head in the lobster trap a hallucination? I assumed it was, but then I had trouble reading Dafoe's reaction when Pattinson brings it up. I couldn't tell whether he was surprised that Pattinson had found his secret, or if he was just shocked by the suggestion.

I'm wondering what the drowned bird represented.

Was Dafoe lying to Pattinson about the boat and axe? It's so hard to know because sometimes Dafoe was gaslighting Pattinson, and other times Pattinson was just straight up nuts. Possible that there's no answer to this one, I just thought it was interesting.

It's whatever you want. Read some of the interviews with the director. They just smushed a lot of concepts together, sometimes with just the imagery first. You can..tell. Meanwhile the lead actor (pattinson) played it like someone going totally insane and then its also vaguely based on a real incident with two lighthouse keepers trapped in a storm in 1801. Then there's the whole obvious nods to them being prometheus and proteus which goes at odds with all the other concepts of the premise...so it's..whatever you want honestly. Hell you could say he dies after being dropped on that cleaner platform thing and the rest of the movie from there is just death imagery and it wouldn't be any less valid then the other theories.

I like it as a david lynch meets f.w. murnau film, but it's not a typical narrative-based film whatsoever. It's pretty though, some of the shots are nuts. My audience took it as a comedy and laughed a lot at just about everything that happened (the seagull scene especially) so that was real fuckin' weird.

Also is it just me or is "masterpiece" the laziest marketing term of 2019. I've seen about 12 posters with that large quote front and center this year alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Don't spill yer beans is a pretty great catchphrase

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Don't spill yer beannnssssssssssssssssssssssssss

But no one would go see this with me and I don't know anyone that went so no one gets it :\

e: this is such a dumb movie but i love so many of the sequences and shots in it...that one shot of them just fuckin' CHUGGING the booze from the bottles like it was a race was a personal fav.

the fact that pattinson was blind drunk making this, and the weather was actually that hosed really stand out..both of those things are usually faked for good reasons

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Oct 27, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

NienNunb posted:

I've been a real pervert the last 24 hours since seeing the movie and listening to nothing but sea shanties. Need to ingrain myself as much as humanly possible into 1800s Nautical Culture.

https://youtu.be/ZIwzRkjn86w

The making of this movie makes me love it more and more with every new thing. Apparently they used slow film stock (high contrast b/w stock with very little shadow or highlight leeway on exposure) so the lights are crazy rear end bright in the shots and the actors can barely see each other.
or the fact that they barely spoke to each other on set or after, until they finished filming, but both chilled with the crew.
the weather alone would make me hate working on this thing, but it musta been hilarious to be a part of.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Wolfsheim posted:

I liked Good Time, hated High Life (though that wasnt his fault), then loved the Lighthouse so it's been kind of a rollercoaster for me

good time is awesome, high life is trash. so it's not him.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Franchescanado posted:

I've seen it twice now, and there's a big through-line that I picked up on the 2nd viewing that I haven't seen mentioned yet. The topic is a little off-putting, and spoilers some stuff, but I think it's interesting and ties a few loose points together.

Winslow is afraid that Thomas is going to rape him throughout the film.

Winslow doesn't drink for two reasons: 1) he is an alcoholic and a violent drunk, 2) he does not want to be taken advantage of, sexually, by Thomas

During their first interaction in the kitchen, Thomas refers to Winslow in feminine terms. At first it seems derogatory, but it's also like he's negging him, much like PUA. The conversation ends with "Don't get upset with me, I'm just calling you cute."

Thomas invites Winslow to drink on their first night out of genuine comradery, but also to lower Winslow's guard. Winslow instead drinks the dirty water. Of course, Winslow is correct in the assertion that keeping sailors drunk is a form of suppression, but it also makes them more vulnerable

The scene with the Thomas by the light with tentacles is a dream sequence. It is introduced with Winslow laying in his bed, trying to sleep. It cuts immediately to a dream or a waking fantasy. The tentacles and the ooze-like semen are nightmarish elaborations of his mind fearing Thomas's sexual predation. Tentacles are phallic, and imply being tethered and held against your will, strangulation, binding. The ooze is a fear of ejaculate.

There are many moments where Winslow says "I know what yer doin'." This is after Winslow has gaslit him a few times, but it seems to imply something greater, more sinister, but it doesn't seem to relate to his paranoid idea of keeping away the light.

As vague as it is, Winslow's story of his fellow logger dying seems to come from a fear of homosexuality. Either the man also came onto Winslow, or made a pass, or Winslow was paranoid in thinking the man had sexual proclivities to him, Winslow's response was violence. He responds to Thomas's attempt to kiss him with fists, and proceeds to beat the poo poo out of him. Again, this is premeditated with Winslow saying "I know what you're doing."

Thomas kills a gull and puts it in the water supply while Winslow is sleeping. This taints the water supply, making a larger force for Winslow to drink the alcohol. This is near the end of their tenure, so the reason can't only be for compliance when it comes to work or socializing. When Winslow finally accepts the drink, Thomas pours him several other large shots. If getting inebriated were the goal, a sober man would be drunk off one or two. But if you were interested in taking advantage of someone, you would give a sober person as much to drink as they can swallow.

There is enough ambiguity in the story where Thomas may not be trying to rape or have sex with Winslow, but Winslow's fear of this is genuine and pops up throughout the film, after the first night when Thomas calls him feminine and pretty.

wow..uhh.. i took that as him just talking poo poo/messing with him and not at all any of what you said in the least. like, not even in a stretching subtext kinda way, but i guess we clearly interpreted this movie in very different ways.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 8, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I mean, saying this movie has no real plot..isn't wrong. On that criteria, I would actually agree, its not a great movie. Butttttttt as a collection of pretty rad imagery and some killer performances and just an all-around vibe, it's fantastic. It just depends on what you expect from it I guess.

I kind of find it refreshing that for once a director just admits that he straight up just had some cool ideas for shots and strung together something out of that. Most of the time, that's the case but then you get smarmy interviews where they play it up as some intellectual exercise that isn't shallow, but actually super profound you guys, promise. Eggers is just like, "yeah, I even ripped off this one painter, cuz it was sick! fight me"

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

pospysyl posted:

The Lighthouse has a much more straightforward plot than Pulp Fiction.

Go on

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Alternatively, this movie is so ambiguous I could easily say the movie is all a fever dream of one character (take your pick, Dafoe after his interactions with the "light" or Pattinson after crashing into the rocks) and it would be no less valid. There's enough random intercutting to surreal elements culminating in the final shot to argue whatever you want as the plot.

So let me rephrase that, this film has no traditional storytelling in the sense of a plot. It's a very Lynch approach, I'm not knocking that at all. I am saying I could see how someone who came in to see a film with a narrative arc would be disappointed.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 19, 2019

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Franchescanado posted:

Which absolutely happened with my friend. But he's not one to enjoy things like Eraserhead, which I absolutely love.

Pretty much the only reason I brought that up was everyone making GBS threads on that one review that disliked the film for this reason. Which I think is actually pretty valid, even if I personally disagree with not liking the film for it. There's plenty of people that hate david lynch movies like you said

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I sort of appreciate having a "mass market" voice even if the voice is kinda poo poo. I mean, let's be honest we're a bit of a niche of people that intersect on the venn diagram of people willing to go to an indie movie in the first place and people that would enjoy 1800s maritime crossed with david lynch and fw murnaus love child..so threads like this are just an echo chamber...

But this film releases to the general public right? So you kind of expect to see the gamut on a polarizing experience..

It sort of touches on my biggest flaw with this film..how do I recommend it to people? I mean, I do, I think it's a rad film that was worth seeing in theaters (is it still playing at this point?) but I'd run into the problem of what do I tell someone other then "watch it"...
I would never say watch the trailer because I hate trailers so that's out..I can't tell people it's a surrealistic film because that ruins the entire vibe of the film if you're trying to go in blind..I can't say it's the story of two lighthouse keepers in a storm in the 18somethings because it's disingenuous and sets you up to expect a traditional narrative..So all I can really say is "watch it" which is.... annoying...drat ye lighthouse