Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
Everyone I knew just called it Nintendo, Super Nintendo, or sega, nobody called them nes, snes, or genesis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Grassy Knowles posted:

edit: Genesis meant we could pretend we were talking about the bible if we were careful, there's no book of mega drive.

Well, maybe not in your loser religions

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

MegaDrive 1:1, and so the lord Tom Kalinske sayeth, "Sega does what nintendont". And there was much weeping and gnashing of teeth from the peoples of Nintendoland

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Credit where it's due, the "Nintendon't" campaign was by Michael Katz, pre-Kalinske.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Megadrive always sounded pretty generic to me. Genesis makes sense, since they were trying to start over after some portion of the US didn't even know the SMS existed.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Don't they still manufacture the Master System (through a third party) in Brazil?

I used to own a Game Gear. My dad ended up having to buy a gigantic pack of AA batteries for it when we went on holiday, and I burned through them all before we flew home.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Bloody Pom posted:

Don't they still manufacture the Master System (through a third party) in Brazil?

I used to own a Game Gear. My dad ended up having to buy a gigantic pack of AA batteries for it when we went on holiday, and I burned through them all before we flew home.

According to Tec Toy's website, they're still selling (and presumably manufacturing) official SMS clones (yes, licensed by Sega) including 132 games.

As someone who lives in Brazil, I have no idea who buys them. Your typical nostalgic Master System fan would most likely get the old original one with the cartridge slot. But whoop there it is.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Negostrike posted:

According to Tec Toy's website, they're still selling (and presumably manufacturing) official SMS clones (yes, licensed by Sega) including 132 games.

As someone who lives in Brazil, I have no idea who buys them. Your typical nostalgic Master System fan would most likely get the old original one with the cartridge slot. But whoop there it is.

$80?!

edit: John Riggs did a review on this back about 5 years ago. (add to queue)

otter fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Nov 7, 2023

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

For that much I got a Japanese Mega Drive CIB. Back in 2017, mind you.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Negostrike posted:

Not sure they will ever stop manufacturing sega console clones

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Coming up soon for the Mega Drive / Genesis:

https://twitter.com/yuzokoshiro/status/1727687936890777608

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

katkillad2 posted:

Megadrive always sounded pretty generic to me

Counterpoint - the name MEGA DRIVE is cool as gently caress.

Just stand up and shout it and feel instant empowerment.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Thought it would be fun to play some Sega Marine Fishing in Dreamcast

"Please insert disk"

Last time this happened I had to replace the entire laser unit. ODE's seem very tempting now but I've got so many disks

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Bumhead posted:

Counterpoint - the name MEGA DRIVE is cool as gently caress.

Just stand up and shout it and feel instant empowerment.

MEGA driiiiiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, gently caress yea!

Genesis? Are you a band from the 80s or something? did my mum like them? boooorrrinnggg

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Mega Drive is definitely a better name and it works better as a contrast to its nemesis. Mega vs. Super.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

MEGA driiiiiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, gently caress yea!

Genesis? Are you a band from the 80s or something? did my mum like them? boooorrrinnggg

phil collins is good actually

mewse
May 2, 2006

freelop posted:

"Please insert disk"

Last time this happened I had to replace the entire laser unit. ODE's seem very tempting now but I've got so many disks

nice thing about dreamcast is that there are relatively cheap gdemu clones on aliexpress - saturn doesn’t really have anything like that

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

freelop posted:

Yeah, the last time a drive died out completely I replaced it with the GDEMU, and then got a second unit with a drive in good shape for the discs. Truth be told, I rarely turn on that one, but it's the thought that I can use the discs at any time that counts.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

mewse posted:

nice thing about dreamcast is that there are relatively cheap gdemu clones on aliexpress - saturn doesn’t really have anything like that

Yeah but the new fenrir allows the drive to be plugged in as well, if I recall correctly.
That reminds me I need to break out my us saturn to update my psk.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

freelop posted:

"Please insert disk"

If only I could find a GDEmu clone that worked reliably. Or if the GDEmu guy would just make more real ones.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

otter posted:

Yeah but the new fenrir allows the drive to be plugged in as well, if I recall correctly.

Wow, that would be certainly new. I haven't heard about that before. Legit want to know if this is being recalled correctly because it would otherwise kill the one advantage the more expensive Satiator has.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Saoshyant posted:

Wow, that would be certainly new. I haven't heard about that before. Legit want to know if this is being recalled correctly because it would otherwise kill the one advantage the more expensive Satiator has.

Yeah, I looked it up later. Pretty much right after I bought my Fenrir they came out with the new ones that have a second ribbon connector so you can keep the optical drive installed too.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
:toot:

https://twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/1728976244535091644
https://twitter.com/ohfivepro/status/1728978746097713402

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Storm One posted:

:toot:
twitter bullshit

yea didn't bitch about Soul Calibur did they, cause it was loving PERFECT

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Why does that guy's dreamcast randomly reset?

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

The Dreamcast remains the most impressed I've ever been by a console. Seeing that demo unit in Toys R Us for the first time running Sonic Adventure.. just the colour and vibrancy of it, the speed and fluidity..

The "Arcade quality at home" thing is legit, always made the Dreamcast extremely appealing and I think an entire industry design ethos sort of died out alongside the console as a result (at least until the modern indie scene).

It's also a target they weirdly missed in a couple of examples (such as Daytona)

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It's Sega Rally 2 port sucked rear end too

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Bumhead posted:

The Dreamcast remains the most impressed I've ever been by a console. Seeing that demo unit in Toys R Us for the first time running Sonic Adventure.. just the colour and vibrancy of it, the speed and fluidity..

The "Arcade quality at home" thing is legit, always made the Dreamcast extremely appealing and I think an entire industry design ethos sort of died out alongside the console as a result (at least until the modern indie scene).

It's also a target they weirdly missed in a couple of examples (such as Daytona)

Even better than arcade in some aspects such as Soulcalibur. SA, that and MVC2 made me want the console.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

That person has some bad takes, but they're right about the dreamcast being awesome

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Haven't the few VGA-incompatible games been patched at this point?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

SeANMcBAY posted:

Even better than arcade in some aspects such as Soulcalibur.

With no shade thrown at the game or Namco who did a superb job on the port, better than arcade perfect isn't that impressive when the arcade original was running on souped up PS1 hardware.
The Dreamcast would never have any trouble with that, the real stars are the development team who went the extra mile and took advantage of all the headroom by improving the game significantly when they could have just delivered a 100% accurate port and leave it at that. They didn't need to, but they did it anyway.

Regardless, the Dreamcast is where the tide started shifting and the high-end arcade boards were no longer outrageously more powerful than home hardware and truly impressive arcade perfect ports started to become possible.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Beve Stuscemi posted:

That person has some bad takes, but they're right about the dreamcast being awesome

Harsh but fair. :hmmyes:

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!

After The War posted:

Haven't the few VGA-incompatible games been patched at this point?

They’re all technically compatible but for some reason there’s a bit that needs flipped or else it refuses for no good reason. If you swap the connector at the right time you can trick it into working iirc.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I agree with what both of those posts say mostly, except that Rez is boring. It's one of the best games on the console and might make my top 20 all time. Also yea their Dreamcast has a power supply issue or something if it keeps resetting, that doesn't sound like a common problem.

For me, sports games died with the death of the Dreamcast. I loved the 2K games and Virtua Tennis is my favorite tennis game of all time.

It's also where I first played Phantasy Star Online, another incredible experience and I still play that game from time to time today. The soundtrack was so good.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

JSR's gameplay is kind-of rear end but considering that it came out only a few months after Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 (e.g: Smilebit probably didn't have access to it during development) it's an impressive piece.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Some of the later levels in JSR where the enemies are coming for you every few seconds just makes the game super tedious and unfun. I'd probably like the game a lot more if it was just a chill game where you are skating around tagging poo poo and listening to the 10/10 soundtrack and there weren't any enemies bothering you.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

JSR's gameplay is kind-of rear end but considering that it came out only a few months after Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 (e.g: Smilebit probably didn't have access to it during development) it's an impressive piece.

the gameplay is definitely a bit rear end by today's standards, but I also remember reading a retrospective article a couple years ago with dev team members where they said the game was basically all first draft and not as refined as it would be before release today. the style is S+++ tier, the music and general vibe of the game is what makes it legendary, and then you go and try to fiddle with the camera for the first time.

Negostrike posted:

It's Sega Rally 2 port sucked rear end too

<:mad:> I've put decent time into that game in the last year or two, it's still incredibly fun to pick up and bash your head against the 10-year mode. (I also really wish I had access to my old game magazines that are in a box in the U.S., because the car choice/tuning guide for 10-year mode that I had in one of the old Dreamcast mags is impossible to find online and was pretty essential to getting through that mode).

also you can throw the Japanese version into 60 FPS mode and while it looks like butt at least it's smooth.

Storm One posted:

With no shade thrown at the game or Namco who did a superb job on the port, better than arcade perfect isn't that impressive when the arcade original was running on souped up PS1 hardware.
The Dreamcast would never have any trouble with that, the real stars are the development team who went the extra mile and took advantage of all the headroom by improving the game significantly when they could have just delivered a 100% accurate port and leave it at that. They didn't need to, but they did it anyway.

Regardless, the Dreamcast is where the tide started shifting and the high-end arcade boards were no longer outrageously more powerful than home hardware and truly impressive arcade perfect ports started to become possible.

I mean, in the case of MvC2 and a whole generation of games, they literally were made on Dreamcasts - the Naomi board was the same as the home console. One neat trick to ensure you have easy home ports.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

It's also where I first played Phantasy Star Online, another incredible experience and I still play that game from time to time today. The soundtrack was so good.

I still play PSO, and have now played Episodes 2, 3 and 4. It's not a perfect series but it's pretty special.

I had no issues with Sega Rally on the Dreamcast, it might not be arcade perfect but it looked amazing for 99/2000.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

harperdc posted:

I mean, in the case of MvC2 and a whole generation of games, they literally were made on Dreamcasts - the Naomi board was the same as the home console. One neat trick to ensure you have easy home ports.

True, but arcade boards made of console components were already a thing, Radiant Silvergun having an arcade perfect port is not surprising because it's an ST-V game.

The big deal with the Dreamcast vs the PS1/Saturn/N64 is that NAOMI was not that far behind the top-end arcade-exclusive boards of its time, while the ST-V/SystemXX boards couldn't hold a candle to 1993's Model 2, let alone the Model 3.

And by the time the 360 gen came along, everything had a PC GPU and the arcade magic was gone forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
In this house we believe
Poison Jam own,
the hard levels are the best levels,
and skating is PVE

(The E are cars IRL but the crews of Rudies are more fun)