Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

harperdc posted:

the gameplay is definitely a bit rear end by today's standards, but I also remember reading a retrospective article a couple years ago with dev team members where they said the game was basically all first draft and not as refined as it would be before release today. the style is S+++ tier, the music and general vibe of the game is what makes it legendary, and then you go and try to fiddle with the camera for the first time.
Like I said, in context it's an impressive piece. That's why I was puzzled that JSRF didn't get more traction because it solves most of the issues the first one had. Probably aesthetic. It wasn't dated but it was a style that wasn't catching on during an era when very few styles were catching on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
JSRF was a pack in title for the Xbox during a holiday season. I’m surprised it’s not a bigger childhood game for more 2000s kids.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

emSparkly posted:

JSRF was a pack in title for the Xbox during a holiday season. I’m surprised it’s not a bigger childhood game for more 2000s kids.

Paired with Crimson Skies too, typically if I see a crimson skies fan I see a JSRF fan and vice versa.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

^^^^^ JSRF / Sega GT 2000 split disc

emSparkly posted:

I think that says more about the Xbox than the game, but yeah that’s also a pack-in I had for very good reason as well (because I had my parents help me look for JGR when that came out).

At least we finally have Bomb Rush Cyberfunk to help fill the JSR sequel-shaped hole in the world we’ve had for too long.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

emSparkly posted:

Oh come on. Kids from the 2000s wouldn’t be old enough to register an acc…oh my god I’m old.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

otter posted:

Oh come on. Kids from the 2000s wouldn’t be old enough to register an acc…oh my god I’m old.

That JSRF/Sega GT pack-in combo is now old enough to drink.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Negostrike posted:

It's Sega Rally 2 port sucked rear end too

Thanks Windows CE

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I remember the Japanese NA version of Sega Rally 2, which came out later than the others, was much improved.

Edit: actually misremembered the regional versions and their release dates, which isn't surprising since they were both foreign to me and required a boot disc to launch

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Nov 29, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

It came out in Japan ten months before US/Pal I thought

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I haven't played that game in... a decade or so and got it wrong.

It's the NA version I was thinking of, which was the final release and tried to fix as many issues as the ones present in the Japanese version. The Japanese version had been a very rushed port to begin with and the baffling decision to go with Windows CE instead of the Dreamcast's native environment (which has a significant impact on performance) appears to have been to ease its later PC release.

PAL release came before the NA version and additionally had the adorable issues that PAL releases frequently had, which isn't funny when you consider the Dreamcast was the first system that started fixing that poo poo with 50/60Hz selectors and PAL resolution optimization.

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Negostrike posted:

It's Sega Rally 2 port sucked rear end too

didn't stop me from playing a ton of it anyways

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Saoshyant posted:

PAL release came before the NA version and additionally had the adorable issues that PAL releases frequently had, which isn't funny when you consider the Dreamcast was the first system that started fixing that poo poo with 50/60Hz selectors and PAL resolution optimization.

That was one of the best things about the DC, I had a 60Hz capable TV for years by that point so it was good to actually... use it

Foobie
Dec 14, 2022
I’m a big dreamcast fan so I’ll get some quick and dirty reviews in real quick.
Dreamcast had cosmic smash which is a top 10 game for me. I don’t think I’ve really played any other arcade game where style plays such a big part of your score. Also, it’s fun watching YouTube longplays of it because every single video the person playing sucks rear end at it.
I’ll also defend sega rally 2 but I lock it at 30 fps instead of 60 cause I like the roadside detail more than the smooth 60, and as long as you aren’t getting random jumps to 60 it doesn’t feel like you’re missing out.
Virtua tennis owns. Simple as.
I’ve been playing a lot of crazy taxi 2 lately. I used to not really like it mainly cause the iceman is such a grotesquely edgy 2000s character but the rest of the cast like slash and hot d started to grow on me. It’s also cool how they play with the form of the maps compared to crazy taxi 1. I don’t think the game is as good as the first map in crazy taxi but they take the ideas of the original map and kinda perfect it. Also jumping is just fun.
Space channel 5 loving slaps and ulala serves oval office that whole game. Really need to burn part 2 to a disc so I can see more space Michael.
Daytona usa rocks too, between that and sega rally 2 I can play racers all night if I want. I’ve never gotten to play it in the arcade so idk how lacking the port is but it’s probably one of my favorites.
The fishing games rock. Not really a fan of sega bass fishing 2 though, I like them quick and arcadey. Has anyone tried natsumes reel fishing for dreamcast? It looks pretty serene in a way that none of segas games are.
Also been playing a lot of mvc2 lately, the dreamcast controller is actually pretty well suited for it. It’s not perfect, but it’s a lot better than playing on any form of DualShock imo. 2 more face buttons would be sublime though. I wanna burn 3rd strike but having your heavies on the triggers seems like it’d be hard to get used to since I learned it on my sega PlayStation controller.

Lastly, what are your guys thoughts on maken x? I bought it a month or two ago and it just didn’t really click for how much I see that game hyped. I’m basically fighting the controller the entire time in a way I don’t for sega or Capcom produced games. The stage based gameplay just also doesn’t really grab me. Maybe I’m just used to playing arcade ports by now but by the time I’d had my fill there were still like another 3 hours left and idk if I’ll ever finish it.
Also the 2k games. They go for like 5 bucks everywhere but while I love nfl blitz idk if I like football enough to actually play them. Maybe basketball would be more fun? Is there a hockey one? Can you brawl?

Mike Arthur McVein
Feb 15, 2023

I thought she was saying "kick" in Space Channel 5 but I guess I was mistaken.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Foobie, it might just be rose coloured glasses but NBA 2k1 was one of my favourite basketball games ever. Just making my custom dude, putting him on a custom team and dominating the league is good times.

armpit_enjoyer
Jan 25, 2023

my god. it's full of posts
Wait, you can lock the FPS in Sega Rally 2? How?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

armpit_enjoyer posted:

Wait, you can lock the FPS in Sega Rally 2? How?

Cheat code on the home console versions

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Spent 7 hours straight yesterday doing a FRAM and region-free BIOS swap on my Saturn...and then subsequently troubleshooting it to no avail. It worked perfectly after recapping the power board. And now I get no audio or video. I'm just super disappoint and wanted to vent.

This isn't my first mod. I've done PSIO mods on PS1s which requires very precise trace cuts. But this is first one where I finish it, and I just can't figure out what the problem is. :(

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

Spent 7 hours straight yesterday doing a FRAM and region-free BIOS swap on my Saturn...and then subsequently troubleshooting it to no avail. It worked perfectly after recapping the power board. And now I get no audio or video. I'm just super disappoint and wanted to vent.

This isn't my first mod. I've done PSIO mods on PS1s which requires very precise trace cuts. But this is first one where I finish it, and I just can't figure out what the problem is. :(

I know your pain. Take a bit and regroup, I bet you'll figure it out.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Sounds like the power supply may not be passing enough power. Maybe recheck it for current/voltage and the new caps.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

How was the Action RPG Record of Lodoss War: Advent of Cardice? Hidden gem on the Dreamcast? Worth playing?

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Starts off a pretty fun Diablo-like game with a pretty cool skill leveling system. By the end though, super tedious and has enemies that can stunlock you indefinitely.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

made by the same people who did shining force neo and exa, so you can see some protegination (is that a real word) between them

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kirbysuperstar posted:

made by the same people who did shining force neo and exa, so you can see some protegination (is that a real word) between them

Its not, but I understood what you were trying to say anyways. :P Those two games look cool too!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

I said come in! posted:

How was the Action RPG Record of Lodoss War: Advent of Cardice? Hidden gem on the Dreamcast? Worth playing?

I recommend it only because it was a great Diablo-like for people like me who, at the time, didn't have a PC that could play videogames but definitely had a Dreamcast.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Refresh my memory, is it possible to play Japanese Dreamcast games on a US Dreamcast, and if so, how do you do it?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

Refresh my memory, is it possible to play Japanese Dreamcast games on a US Dreamcast, and if so, how do you do it?

I think if you play burned discs they are "self booting" and not region locked.

There's apparently a boot disc called code breaker than will break the region lock for retail discs.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
From the Simpsons meme thread

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Mickey RrrrrrrrRRRRRRrrrrrrooney!

(those are gdrom access sounds)

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Xenomrph posted:

I imported a Japanese Dreamcast in 1998. I had to install a mod chip to play US games when they came out. Guessing it's the same issue for original games.

Note that some games will also just boot to the consoles native region, I played sonic 2 in Japanese and could t get past a part because I don't know what someone said.

Keep in mind this was a mod chip from 1999, perhaps current mods can force a region too?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

falz posted:

I imported a Japanese Dreamcast in 1998. I had to install a mod chip to play US games when they came out. Guessing it's the same issue for original games.

Note that some games will also just boot to the consoles native region, I played sonic 2 in Japanese and could t get past a part because I don't know what someone said.

Keep in mind this was a mod chip from 1999, perhaps current mods can force a region too?
Going off my teenage piracy days from 2000, it was pretty trivial to just burn a copy of any game with whatever region you wanted.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
CDIs have gotten a lot better over the past few years as well, with new fan translations hitting every couple weeks on average.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

mewse posted:

There's apparently a boot disc called code breaker than will break the region lock for retail discs.

This is the easiest way; I think basically every cheat device/disc also works as a region unlocker. I have a "Gameshark Cheats 'n Codes Vol. 1" disc that was used regularly circa 2002 to play Euro copies of Rez and Shenmue II. (I think it may have also been required to get Metal Gear Solid Bleemcast up and running?)

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I ordered a Fenrir ODE for my Saturn. I'm looking at RAM carts now.

https://www.amazon.com/Action-Replay-4M-Plus-enhancement-sega/dp/B008FPMBNG

Is this a good RAM cart? If not, what should I be looking at?

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Are you wanting it just to operate as the ram cart? Or are you planning to flash Pseudo Saturn Kai onto it?

I posted my Fenrir install a couple of years ago pages back.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Jimmy Smuts posted:

Going off my teenage piracy days from 2000, it was pretty trivial to just burn a copy of any game with whatever region you wanted.
In my case the US game was legit purchased, but went to japanese text because it detected a japanese system, even though it had a region free mod.

Are you saying theres some config file in the gdrom that you can force a region regardless of what system it's played on?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

So over the weekend my partner fell asleep watching YouTube and had a dream that they came home from work to find me playing Magic Knight Rayearth. I took this as a sign to surprise them by digging out the Fenrir ODE they bought like a year ago and a Saturn we had knocking around, finally breaking the thing open and doing the mod. It was a little tricky since I was worried about breaking the ribbon cable but luckily I got it working just fine and it was pretty fun in the end. One coin cell battery replacement later I was off to the races.

I always knew, logically, that the Saturn was a cool console, but holy poo poo. Actually playing this thing has expanded my brain. I had played Nights and a few other games via emulation or other versions (shout-outs to Sonic 3D Blast & Sonic R for Windows 95) but the act of the original hardware and controller on my CRT, I don't know, it just has this vibe I really gel with. We have made a huge list of games to grab, and I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket controller too, maybe see if I can get the 3D Controller too? Anything else I should seek out, accessory-wise?

Also, for a game that appeared to them in a dream, it turns out that Magic Knight Rayearth is really really goddamn good. Like, "I feel this rewiring my brain" good. It's packed with all kinds of little touches that I'm loving, like how each character gets different flavor text depending on who you're controlling and all have their own little diary entries. I don't often get this excited about video games these days so it's nice. I'm sitting here at work thinking about how much I want to get home to play more of it. It's made me super excited to dig deeper into the library, already grabbed Sakura Wars and patched it myself and I'll be keeping an eye on that Wachenroder translation and playing it day one.

Also, I saw JSRF talk earlier. It's the best. I bought a copy despite not even owning an Xbox because I loved playing a game at a friend's house that much. I really wish it would get a port.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

We have made a huge list of games to grab, and I'm thinking of getting an aftermarket controller too, maybe see if I can get the 3D Controller too? Anything else I should seek out, accessory-wise?

The retro-bit saturn controllers are very nice. Depending on how much money you want to spend they can be had in wired or wireless.

The 3D controller doesn't really seem like a must-have to me, except for NiGHTS.

An arcade stick for fighting games is nice.

I mainly got a saturn because I wanted to play the english translation of policenauts - I've wanted a lightgun or mouse for some of the stuff in that game. It's not really necessary for policenauts, but there are some big games that use the light gun heavily - virtua cop / virtua cop 2 / die hard trilogy.

e: there's a modern controller for genesis/saturn called BrawlerGen that has an analog stick, but the analog stick fakes a dpad instead of the saturn 3D controller, which seems like a tremendous missed opportunity to me.

mewse fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Mar 11, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
After much wailing and nashing of teeth, I have finally modded my Saturn with a region-free chip and FRAM upgrade.

This was probably the most frustrating mod I've ever done. And that includes a PSIO install on a PS1 which requires precise trace cuts. I broke three modchips because current ones are bigger than the OEM ones, so you have to bend the legs inward to get them to fit, and I invariably would have one snap on me while trying to bend them inward then lifting pins 1/2 and 43/44 outward. And almost lifted two pads in the process. gently caress me. >_>

Only games I have so far are Nights (US) and VF2 (JP). Time to start burning some discs. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foobie
Dec 14, 2022
Anyone got any recommendations for must have (but still reasonably priced) genesis games? I’ve got outrun truxton Toejam and earl and ecco 2 but would like some more arcade-y kinda games. Partner works at a game store and they have splatterhouse 3 which seems sick as gently caress but not for $70.