Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I started a Saturn collecting binge this year because I wanted to play the fan translation Policenauts on real hardware.

I won an ebay lot of 5 "junk" saturns for $100 from Japan, I've only fixed one of them so far. Three of them have display output. Four of them are first-first gens with the PSU in the top housing, one is a more modern revision with everything in the bottom of the case (unfortunately that one has no video, I am suspecting a capacitor replacement is needed).

Pseudo Saturn Kai is so great for playing CDRs. It's sort of amazing Retro-bit is producing new controllers with the original connector.

I've got plans to build an arcade stick that works natively with the Saturn, it's just taking a lot of time.

I just discovered this week via youtube video that I can set the japanese bios to display english, should help significantly with troubleshooting because I was holding up google translate to the TV :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played? Regardless if it was 30 years ago or last month. ( Or any game from any Sega console really. ) My older cousin had a Genesis before I owned one and he let me play it. His game collection was made up almost entirely of sports games that I wasn't really interested in.

And then I saw it, Budokan... Yes the first Genesis game I played was Budokan.

I remember enjoying it to the point it got me wanting a Genesis. I played it recently and it doesn't really hold up at all. If the controls weren't clunky and awkward it might not be a terrible game.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Sonic, because it was the pack in game with the Genesis when we bought it, was my first.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Mine was probably Sonic 1, although it could have been any of the 10 games that were included in the cartridge. California Games? Golden Axe? Streets of Rage? Who knows

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played?

buck rogers: countdown to doomsday. a game to file under the 'hidden gems' category, imo, it's real cool, if clunky.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My first Genesis game was Sonic 2.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Sonic 2 was my first Genesis game. I sold my NES and my entire library (about 20+ games) to get a Genesis 2 w/ the Sonic pack-in. Also bought Desert Strike, TMNT: Hyperstone Heist, and Jurassic Park.

I realized pretty quickly that I severely undervalued the NES games and regretted it for years and years, until I was able to rebuild it and massively expand it on the cheap about 15 years later. But, in the long run, I loved the Genesis more and it is probably the console in my retro setup that's received the most love -- I don't even keep the NES hooked up anymore.

At some point I'd love to share a megapost with my Sega collection. It's not the most amazing out there, but it's very much tailored to my favorites and I'm pretty happy with it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I think it was Sonic 2 at a Blockbuster demo kiosk. I was familiar with the blue guy through Sonic 2 on the Game Gear beforehand, but, uh, that was Sonic 2 on the Game Gear, so obviously this was a major step up.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sonic 2 or Ecco, I had the pack in and got Ecco at the same time.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

My first Genesis game is ... well...

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever
Aside from Sonic, I received Toejam and Earl with my Genesis. What a great game.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Page 2 and no mention of Gunstar Heroes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v3B1hzMwnQ

Me and my brother played so much of this. Still one of my favorite co-op experiences.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played?

Either Shining Force or Phantasy Star II, I think basically a family friend was looking to offload their Mega Drive for whatever reason, came to us because everyone else already had one, and those were the two games he had. A choice two games, you might say.

E: I might have played FIFA round my cousin's first, I remember the little goal animations fondly but no idea if that was before or after we got a MD.

HJB fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Oct 24, 2019

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
op if your big into saturn stuff i suggest giving dark savior a try. its a definite 7/10 game mostly because of terrible controls but it was apparently written by the guy that did illbleed and blue stinger.

its game world and story is still one of my favs.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
For me, it was either Sonic 1 on a demo cabinet at my local Target, or Altered Beasts which I played at my cousins.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
My neighbour got a Genesis, and his mum and my mum conspired to get me one - which meant less money spent on games, you could just share!

He got Sonic, and I got Altered Beast and Jewel Master. It hurt deep inside, but I was just a little poo poo. We went back and forth (Toejam and Earl, Sonic3+Knuckles, MK2+3, Landstalker, etcetc) until school/girls kinda stopped us :(

But it was a great childhood

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Just got 2 complete SMS games for $31 shipped on Ebay, I'll post some pics and what games they are when they arrive.

Zophar posted:

At some point I'd love to share a megapost with my Sega collection. It's not the most amazing out there, but it's very much tailored to my favorites and I'm pretty happy with it.

I wouldn't mind seeing it if you feel like posting some pics. Do you do complete games or loose or both? I love the cases so much that I can't do loose. Would make collecting a poo poo load more reasonable on price if I could be satisfied with loose carts.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 25, 2019

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My first was NHL 93. Should I show myself to the door?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played? Regardless if it was 30 years ago or last month. ( Or any game from any Sega console really. ) My older cousin had a Genesis before I owned one and he let me play it. His game collection was made up almost entirely of sports games that I wasn't really interested in.

I remember enjoying it to the point it got me wanting a Genesis. I played it recently and it doesn't really hold up at all. If the controls weren't clunky and awkward it might not be a terrible game.

Streets of Rage 2.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Sonic 1, but I didn't own a Mega Drive until Sonic 2 came out. I was among the last of my friends to get one because in 1991 I was still big into the Commodore 64.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Sonic 1 on my friend's Genesis in his dark, wet basement, played on a cabinet-style TV from the 70s.

I didn't get my own Genesis until Christmas like 2 years later and I got Sonic 2 with it.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played? Regardless if it was 30 years ago or last month. ( Or any game from any Sega console really. )

My dad and I didn't own a Genesis until later, but in between him getting the Master System and me getting a SNES, we actually rented a Genesis from Blockbuster a couple of times. The memory of that is kinda wild to me, we just brought home an entire Genesis with two controllers and two games and we got to play with it for a few days. It was awesome. The games I recall playing were Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Golden Axe, and Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. I don't remember which one I played first exactly, it was probably Sonic 1, but I probably played more Golden Axe since we could play that co-op and it didn't matter as much that I was terrible at video games due to being like 5 at the time. But yeah, the Genesis was still pretty new back then and the rental system looked brand new, it was all pretty sweet. A few years later, once I had my PlayStation, we found a used Genesis for like ten bucks. It was not in the best condition, the power cable was messed up, and nobody cared about the Genesis at the time, it was old but not even close to being retro yet. We used the cables from the Master System and it worked fine, we had Sonic 2 and Phantasy Star IV and eventually got some other games for it. I still have it and recently got one of those new controllers for it, but it still has the crappy Master System RF cable and the picture quality is pretty suspect. Still, it's fun to play.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

buck rogers: countdown to doomsday. a game to file under the 'hidden gems' category, imo, it's real cool, if clunky.

I still can't get the battle music out of my head, 20+ years later.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

stealie72 posted:

The hockey games on Genesis were pretty awesome I thought, the last time I enjoyed playing a hockey game really.

rujasu posted:

My dad and I didn't own a Genesis until later, but in between him getting the Master System and me getting a SNES, we actually rented a Genesis from Blockbuster a couple of times. The memory of that is kinda wild to me, we just brought home an entire Genesis with two controllers and two games and we got to play with it for a few days. It was awesome. The games I recall playing were Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Golden Axe, and Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. I don't remember which one I played first exactly, it was probably Sonic 1, but I probably played more Golden Axe since we could play that co-op and it didn't matter as much that I was terrible at video games due to being like 5 at the time. But yeah, the Genesis was still pretty new back then and the rental system looked brand new, it was all pretty sweet. A few years later, once I had my PlayStation, we found a used Genesis for like ten bucks. It was not in the best condition, the power cable was messed up, and nobody cared about the Genesis at the time, it was old but not even close to being retro yet. We used the cables from the Master System and it worked fine, we had Sonic 2 and Phantasy Star IV and eventually got some other games for it. I still have it and recently got one of those new controllers for it, but it still has the crappy Master System RF cable and the picture quality is pretty suspect. Still, it's fun to play.

That's pretty awesome, don't think the places by me ever rented SNES/Genesis consoles. I do remember renting the Sega Saturn from Blockbuster. Also if I remember correctly, you could rent the Dreamcast before it was released and I did that as well, think Sonic was the only game available to play.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

best hockey game on the Genesis was Mutant League Hockey, fight me

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!
Everyone has some lovely game they owned as a kid that still strikes a chord with them even though it's objectively not great right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NylqFa5UU2g

Pebble Beach Golf Links for Genesis. Why'd I play so much of this?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

El Generico posted:

Everyone has some lovely game they owned as a kid that still strikes a chord with them even though it's objectively not great right?

This bad boy right here.

I still pull it out every so often. I played it SO MUCH as a kid.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I will never forget getting the model 2 genesis with sonic 2 gifted to me on Christmas when I was 7. This was in '93.

I busted it out of the box, and while my mom looked at the cords quite confused, I someone used 7 year old logic to slam everything together into the tv and had it working under 5 minutes. Sonic blew me away, although the second game my mom had bought, Jewel Master, didn't strike me in the same fashion. I've tried to replay it recently, and the concept is just fine. Same with Last Battle, I think I was a little too young to appreciate it for some reason.

I will make a more effort post on my history with sega consoles at a later date. I definitely got the 32x a few days before they discontinued it. Yes, of course the first game I purchased was Spiderman Web of Fire. I wish I still had it, if not to sell it for 600 bucks.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

El Generico posted:

Probably for the same reason I played the Saturn version so much: I didn't have a whole lot else on the console to play (I mean technically I had a few things, but no means to get any more things, so what I had was, for a good while, all I'd get), and because the music was unbelievably chill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2COuwDtxiw

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

El Generico posted:

Because golf games whip rear end dude

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

stealie72 posted:

I did not grow up around hockey, did not know the rules of hockey and did not care about hockey, but I used to crush my Canadian roommate at UT on a regular basis using Yzerman and Chelios. That game was legit fun, but also basically seems like it has a giant bug or a certain players could just scream if you knew how to use them right.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Nobody outrules the Marquise de Cat!

JethroMcB posted:

The big problem with this one was that it was 3D environments on the Genesis, so it was sort of impressive but everything loaded in slowly and framerates were very choppy. If I had loved Mario Golf or Hot Shots Golf I wouldn't be questioning it at all, but I guess the feeling of playing a serious simulation game, the PC-esque design choices in places, may have helped impress my tiny mind.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

got a Genesis 2 with Sonic 2 packed in for Christmas as a kid, was an avowed Genesis kid and then became a hardcore Dreamcast fanboy leading up to the 1999 launch. Have a launch day Dreamcast and a bundle of good-rear end games (and demo discs of varying quality) at my parents' house that I need to send to myself next time I visit. I'm very tempted to get one of the Mega Drive Classics. I've got the Genesis Collection and a few of the individual arcade re-releases, but having a mini MD to go along with the mini Super Fami would be fun. Plus, nostalgia.

so uh yeah I think I'm in the right place here.

JethroMcB posted:

this is absolutely true

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I did not grow up around hockey, did not know the rules of hockey and did not care about hockey, but I used to crush my Canadian roommate at UT on a regular basis using Yzerman and Chelios. That game was legit fun, but also basically seems like it has a giant bug or a certain players could just scream if you knew how to use them right.
Yeah, Madden games of that era had the same problem. Sports games have gotten a lot less fun as they have become more and more complex and "realistic."

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
Could we have a good remake of Guardian Heroes for the Saturn, please. :(

The HD Remake on the Xbone doesn't count. :colbert:

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.
My first videogame ever was Sonic 1 on the Mega Drive 2. What a good game, although my dad had to beat Robotnik because the boss music made eight year old me uneasy. I also became some sort of Gunstar Heroes wizard and I haven't been able to replicate that level of success.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NiGHTS Into Dreams was fantastic.

I read somewhere when they put it out again recently, people were bitching about the difficulty. Games used to be loving hard.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

katkillad2 posted:

Mortal Kombat, since I wanted to play it uncensored

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Randaconda posted:

NiGHTS Into Dreams was fantastic.

I read somewhere when they put it out again recently, people were bitching about the difficulty. Games used to be loving hard.
I remember people complaining about the controls.

And they were right, because the HD port didn't implement analog controls for some reason, only digital ones. I think that's since been fixed, but I tried the game on Steam a year or two ago and it still felt off compared to the Saturn original; I just can't put my finger on anything nearly so obvious as digital-only input.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

It's October 29 in Japan so happy 31st anniversary, Mega Drive!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhW3AaD-NI