Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
How Did This Get Played (a very fun podcast about bad/weird games) is talking about Eternal Champions this week, and they got one of the game's original artists to share some great behind-the-scenes stories about mid-90's Sega. (Best one being that Sega had 3 QA guys working out of a motel room for a year beta testing the CD version of Eternal Champions with the Activator motion controller. The artist, meanwhile, says he doesn't recall ever seeing an Activator in their office during development.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Apparently the Sega CD version is way better.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I liked Eternal Champions :shobon:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Got my SMS pickups in today: Alien Syndrome, Outrun and Ghost House!

All complete and in really great shape. Alien Syndrome and Ghost House were two of the first games I owned when I got the SMS for a birthday as a kid. I haven't played Ghost House since then, I'm not sure if it's going to hold up but I remember really enjoying it. When I got the SMS as a present, I had no clue that the console even existed. Something which would be kind of impossible today unless you keep your kids entirely off the internet I guess or they are too young to even know what video games are.

Genesis version of Outrun is almost certainly better, but I played the SMS version a ton at my cousins house and it's the version I'm most nostalgic for.

SMS games are really reasonable for price, even cheaper if you are ok with loose carts. (Unless you want some of the rare games... Looking at you Phantasy Star and Golden Axe Warrior. ) Ghost House has was $21 shipped, Outrun was $20 shipped and Alien Syndrome was $10 shipped. Next SMS games I'm looking to get are Rampage, Double Dragon and Shinobi.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i got a master system from my mom's old boyfriend when he upgraded to a genesis and decided he did not need the master system anymore. it eventually blew the ac adapter in the mid-00s, but i still have the console packed away; i need to get a new power supply for it and also really want to get a card game or two for the hell of it.

my favorite master system game was r-type, up until i got the exponentially better turbografx 16 version. the only other master system game i really got into was ys: the vanished omens, which is still the only ys game i've ever played. when i get around to this thing again i really gotta expand my collection a bit, it's such a rad-looking console and i'd like an excuse to bust it out more often.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

JethroMcB posted:

Because golf games whip rear end dude

Golf is 5x better as a video game than in the real world.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Golf is 5x better as a video game than in the real world.

This is true of any sport with deep, classist connotations and requires a huge waste of natural resources to participate IRL. See also: Racing sims

l33tfuzzbox
Apr 3, 2009
I still have my childhood master system ❤. Still a bunch of games too. Rampage, ghostbusters, choplifter, miracle warriors, pro wrestling, , and a ton of others. Also had 2 games built into the console which blew my little kid mind.

Theres one game i cant remember the name of though. It was a first person mech game, where you took on monsters that would hide behind walls. One of the first was a giant scorpion beast. Would love to buy it but i cant remember what it was freaking calles

l33tfuzzbox fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 30, 2019

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

JethroMcB posted:

How Did This Get Played (a very fun podcast about bad/weird games) is talking about Eternal Champions this week, and they got one of the game's original artists to share some great behind-the-scenes stories about mid-90's Sega. (Best one being that Sega had 3 QA guys working out of a motel room for a year beta testing the CD version of Eternal Champions with the Activator motion controller. The artist, meanwhile, says he doesn't recall ever seeing an Activator in their office during development.)

This was an extremely pro listen. Thank you.

l33tfuzzbox posted:

I still have my childhood master system ❤. Still a bunch of games too. Rampage, ghostbusters, choplifter, miracle warriors, pro wrestling, , and a ton of others. Also had 2 games built into the console which blew my little kid mind.

Theres one game i cant remember the name of though. It was a first person mech game, where you took on monsters that would hide behind walls. One of the first was a giant scorpion beast. Would love to buy it but i cant remember what it was freaking calles

I was surprised to learn my (American) girlfriend still had her childhood Master System. It was sitting in her parents' basement for about 30 years and no longer worked due to corrosion. I cleaned the board up, recapped it, replaced the rusted LED with a purple one (her favorite color). Once it was all fixed up, we played some Fantasy Zone, Wonder Boy 3, and Alex Kidd.

azurite fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Oct 30, 2019

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
Reading this thread makes me want to play the Genesis X-Men games again, but I fear they've aged terribly.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

IIRC X-Men 2 is considered to have aged pretty drat well.

...but I've tried X-Men [1] since stumbling upon it at the thrift store, and yeah, it's... rough. Above-average, maybe even on the verge of "good", but the music is very farty, the game runs at 30FPS for some reason, and IIRC it costs energy to use your mutant powers, which should be your bread-and-butter in an X-Men game. That Reset Button thing is legendarily clever, though (even if it makes the game literally unwinnable on a Nomad).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

if you try to seriously game on a nomad you kinda deserve whatever you get tbh

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Got a couple new complete Genesis games:

Wasn't really into shmups as a kid. I was kind of bad at them and found them to be short on gameplay, preferring things like RPG's and whatnot. As an adult, I definitely appreciate the shorter gameplay experiences and difficulty now.

I don't know if Bio-Hazard Battle is underrated or they just made a ton, but it's actually one of my favorite shmups on the console and pretty reasonably priced. With a little patience I got mine complete in good shape for $25 shipped.

Forgotten worlds is also great, especially considering it's a pretty early title. Got it for $22 shipped, had some sale stickers on it that were fortunately on the outside. They came off easy and it's also in great shape. ( Reseller stickers, not like an original sticker from KB Toys or something. )

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Note on Forgotten Worlds if you didn’t already know this:

Mode button = how to not game over with a 6-button pad

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Bio Hazard Battle's soundtrack rules.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I recently picked up a Dreamcast VGA cable for capture purposes as my capture card just won't accept anything under 720x480. Unfortunately, I found out a little too late that most games require slightly more hoop-jumping by way of Codebreaker magic to actually be convinced to run at 720x480. I'm prepared to do this, but what concerns me is that the system menu is running at 640x480. This makes me worry that my cable may, in fact, be poo poo.

Is the system menu supposed to run at 720x480 with a VGA cable, or am I good?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

I recently picked up a Dreamcast VGA cable for capture purposes as my capture card just won't accept anything under 720x480. Unfortunately, I found out a little too late that most games require slightly more hoop-jumping by way of Codebreaker magic to actually be convinced to run at 720x480. I'm prepared to do this, but what concerns me is that the system menu is running at 640x480. This makes me worry that my cable may, in fact, be poo poo.

Is the system menu supposed to run at 720x480 with a VGA cable, or am I good?

720x480 is an uncommon resolution. In the time of 4:3 screens like when the dreamcast was introduced, 640x480 was a much much much more common resolution. I'd suspect the problem is your capture card, not the vga cable.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

mewse posted:

720x480 is an uncommon resolution. In the time of 4:3 screens like when the dreamcast was introduced, 640x480 was a much much much more common resolution. I'd suspect the problem is your capture card, not the vga cable.

Unfortunately, it can't be my capture card. I dug up a copy of Toy Commander, which should be able to run at 720x480, and tested it directly on my TV. Nothing happens when I toggle from 4:3 to 16:9 whatsoever, and even double-checking through the TV's UI still has it at 640x480. At this point I have to assume it's a limitation of the cable.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I'm doing a deep dive on the Sega CD library. I just beat Snatcher last night. I thought it was well made, the story was good and enjoyed it but I really don't care for that style of "gameplay". Hitting the same commands several times to eventually get a new/different result.

Is The Space Adventure - Cobra: The Legendary Bandit worth chugging through? I played the first 15 minutes or so and wasn't immediately interested in the story combined with not caring for that style of gameplay kind of makes me want to skip it.

Some of these Sega CD games really show the potential it had, it's a shame Sega bungled things. It would be interesting to see how things could have turned out if developers put more effort into it. Specifically I found Silpheed and Soulstar really impressive. ( Even if the gameplay on both has some flaws. )

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

The Jurassic Park game on Genesis was way better than the SNES one. Same with Shadowrun. Landstalkers and Beyond Oasis were amazing.

They weren't exclusive per se, but I loved the Strikes series of games. They're still easy to jump back into all these years later.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

katkillad2 posted:

I'm doing a deep dive on the Sega CD library. I just beat Snatcher last night. I thought it was well made, the story was good and enjoyed it but I really don't care for that style of "gameplay". Hitting the same commands several times to eventually get a new/different result.

Is The Space Adventure - Cobra: The Legendary Bandit worth chugging through? I played the first 15 minutes or so and wasn't immediately interested in the story combined with not caring for that style of gameplay kind of makes me want to skip it.

Some of these Sega CD games really show the potential it had, it's a shame Sega bungled things. It would be interesting to see how things could have turned out if developers put more effort into it. Specifically I found Silpheed and Soulstar really impressive. ( Even if the gameplay on both has some flaws. )

Rise of the Dragon is a great second destination after Snatcher.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Why is emulating Snatcher so hard? Was trying to play via retropie and would have these interminable waits at certain screens

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Played through and finished Popful Mail the other night. For one of those games I've heard mentioned for years, it's an incredibly flawed game. Presentation and sprites/graphics were great, but as far as gameplay it's like they were actively trying to make it not fun. I'm pretty sure I was playing the deworked game or whatever and it was still rough. Even though you are upgrading your armor, almost every enemy kills you in 3 hits. I'm comfortable with and enjoy games like Ghosts 'n Goblins, but the balance of this game just felt incredibly off. There's no invincibility frames, so not super uncommon to get hit by a single projectile multiple times. A game where you have to save at each new screen because you are loving yourself over if you ever take damage from standard enemies just isn't fun.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 24, 2019

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

katkillad2 posted:

Played through and finished Popful Mail the other night. For one of those games I've heard mentioned for years, it's an incredibly flawed game. Presentation and sprites/graphics were great, but as far as gameplay it's like they were actively trying to make it not fun. I'm pretty sure I was playing the deworked game or whatever and it was still rough. Even though you are upgrading your armor, almost every enemy kills you in 3 hits. I'm comfortable with and enjoy games like Ghosts 'n Goblins, but the balance of this game just felt incredibly off. There's no invincibility frames, so super uncommon to get hit by a single projectile multiple times. A game where you have to save at each new screen because you are loving yourself over if you ever take damage from standard enemies just isn't fun.

working designs ruined the us port, its supposed to be cheap and easy to get tons of healing items. like the amulet that gives you invulnerability is supposed to be priced at only 100 gold. damage values for everything including environmental damage are increased sometimes over double, and the enemy HP values are higher. all of this makes grinding a chore. there's a patch somewhere that fixes some of this stuff.

edit: didnt see you mentioned you were playing this version, and I'm surprised you still found it brutal with the patch. when i played it unpatched, enemies killed in 3 hits and it sounds exactly like what you're saying D:

Zand fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 24, 2019

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Yes, that'd be the patch he explicitly mentions that he thinks he's using in the post you're quoting.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Ristar is better than Sonic

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

Ristar is better than Sonic

Hard disagree.

I mean, what are you basing it on?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Dell_Zincht posted:

Hard disagree.

I mean, what are you basing it on?

While there's a bit of shitposting energy to that, Ristar has more of what I like out of a 16-bit platformer.

The level verticality, exploration, color palette, and character art feel more polished and fleshed out than Sonic, with 3 being a possible exception on a few of those. For me, Sonic really never successfully married the concepts of 'Having large levels with a lot of hidden secrets' and 'GOTTA GO FAST'. Hell, it feels like going fast is sometimes a chore.

Ristar is a lot slower and a lot simpler, but it's more fun to explore the levels. The boss fights have more variety. I will say Sonic has a MUCH better soundtrack.

My opinion isn't so much 'Fire Sonic out of a cannon and make Ristar the mascot', but more that I prefer platformers like Ristar or Rocket Knight over Sonic.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

TheHoosier posted:

While there's a bit of shitposting energy to that, Ristar has more of what I like out of a 16-bit platformer.

The level verticality, exploration, color palette, and character art feel more polished and fleshed out than Sonic, with 3 being a possible exception on a few of those. For me, Sonic really never successfully married the concepts of 'Having large levels with a lot of hidden secrets' and 'GOTTA GO FAST'. Hell, it feels like going fast is sometimes a chore.

Ristar is a lot slower and a lot simpler, but it's more fun to explore the levels. The boss fights have more variety. I will say Sonic has a MUCH better soundtrack.

My opinion isn't so much 'Fire Sonic out of a cannon and make Ristar the mascot', but more that I prefer platformers like Ristar or Rocket Knight over Sonic.

Fair points. As a kid I would have massively disagreed as to me speed was what made the Sonic games so cool, but looking back the games actually punished you for going too quickly, and there was no real reward for exploring the zones other than a few extra lives (which you could stockpile in the bonus stages, especially in Sonic 3.)

I only played Ristar as a kid and thought it was far too slow. I should give it another go as an adult.

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

Dynamite Headdy is better than both :colbert:

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

I will say that the music level has a cooler gimmick than any Sonic level I can think of.

Zophar posted:

Dynamite Headdy is better than both :colbert:

This is also true for the Game Gear.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

I've got mixed feelings about Sonic, I mean I think it's a great series of games. I don't know who first I heard it from, but someone said Sonic is at it's best when you are holding right and just going fast. I feel like there's some truth to that and probably why it was hard to make modern sequels that were good.

It was particularly true when I recently played Sonic 3 for the first time and was actually hitting the 10 minute time limit and dying because a couple of the levels were complex enough I was getting lost/stuck. In a game where you gotta go fast, you should never hit the time limit. Level complexity and depth just kind of goes against what made the Sonic games good.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Hard disagree TBH; what I liked the most about the games was using the characters' ability to go fast in interesting ways to reach various nooks and crannies and see if there was anything valuable hidden where I wound up (which, frequently, there was), as well as the various platforming challenges mixed in here and there (which the game always slows you down for if a gotta-go-fast spectacle segment immediately preceded it). If just holding right was all there was to the series, the games wouldn't have held up nearly as well as they have.

I haven't put in nearly enough time into Ristar to make an assertion on which is the superior game (and given it's going up against a childhood's worth of time into its competitor, a fair comparison may be difficult to make to begin with), though it seems like a perfectly solid platformer that I could see somebody preferring over Sonic.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
Started playing Phantasy Star IV for the first time in like 20 years on Christmas and man, it was my first RPG and it's still my favorite. So easy to dive into, absolutely no resistance at all. I love hanging out in this game, talking to every townsperson, checking every bookshelf.

This is my first time playing it after getting into Dragon Quest and I think it's interesting how much more it has in common with DQ than Final Fantasy, which is all anyone compared it to back in the day for obvious reasons.

A little bummed the sandworm hunter mission is so easy now when it was pretty intimidating back in the day... crushed it without even trying :(

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

bear named tators posted:

Started playing Phantasy Star IV for the first time in like 20 years on Christmas and man, it was my first RPG and it's still my favorite. So easy to dive into, absolutely no resistance at all. I love hanging out in this game, talking to every townsperson, checking every bookshelf.

This is my first time playing it after getting into Dragon Quest and I think it's interesting how much more it has in common with DQ than Final Fantasy, which is all anyone compared it to back in the day for obvious reasons.

A little bummed the sandworm hunter mission is so easy now when it was pretty intimidating back in the day... crushed it without even trying :(

I love PSIV and have mad nostalgia for it. I always liked it more than the other famous jrpg's of that era because it did poo poo I dug like have a bunch of incidental dialogue for examining things, had party members actually respond to npc's in towns at times (especially when it made sense that they'd know these people because they're from that town), the party actually felt like they interacted with one another unlike so many other rpg's. Even small talk like the in-party chat option that tells you what you're supposed to do next changing from talk to mumble when there is only one party member is a cool little detail. All those little interactions give it a lot of charm like a DQ game whereas a lot of FF stuff never went deep into those small personal touches.

I think one of the things that make it hard for dumb kids is that none of the spell names make any loving sense.

Sivek fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jan 3, 2020

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Y's for the TG-16 was probably my favorite RPG of that era, but before Y's it would have easily been the first Phantasy Star on the SMS, which replaced Tunnels of Doom on the TI-99/4A, which was, I believe, the first game to use the 3D dungeon perspective the same way Phantasy Star did. It's old school now and I probably wouldn't enjoy it as much as I did then, but for its time Phantasy Star was really amazing in much the same way Herzog Zwei was for the Genesis. I did play PSIV later and remembered thinking it was good. Just didn't hit me as hard by that point I guess.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

It's been years since I did any gaming, but from that list my guess would be Target Earth.

No issues with Gain Ground, I just didn't care for the game type. Forgotten Worlds starts feeling pretty repetitive at some point. I have zero opinion on Alien Storm except that from googling it to see if I remember, it looks like Space Golden Axe.

My positive reaction to Target Earth comes from having played it way back in the early 90s and not having liked it, then picking it up again for some reason maybe 10 or 15 years ago or something? Anyway, as I started playing I remember thinking, "Wow this is a lot more nuanced and interesting a story and game that I expected."

I'm sure others will prefer one of the other titles, but that's what hit me when I saw your list.

Good gaming!

I would have never known Gain Ground existed if it wasn't for Project X Zone, despite not having advertised it at all, had a stage that was entirely based on Gain Ground.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played?

I can't remember if I played before I got my own in fourth grade, but the games I got were TMNT and RBI 3. Can't remember which I played first, but played a lot of those for a bit. Got hockey and Sonic 2 shortly thereafter, I think.

stealie72 posted:

My first was NHL 93. Should I show myself to the door?

Yes because it was NHLPA 93. I fondly remember passing the puck from the centerline right down the middle and through the goalie's five-hole over and over. Also, Pavel Bure and his 99 speed was basically cheating.

NHL 94 was obviously the perfect version. Did anybody else have the EA four player adaptor? We used that a ton for 3p hockey. The only other game I had that used it was General Chaos.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

katkillad2 posted:

Does everyone remember the first Genesis game they played?

Alien Storm, we rented a Mega Drive from a video rental store and that's the game we got. I still have a soft spot for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I'm pretty sure it was Sonic 2, from a cousin's Mega Drive.