Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis is still the greatest sports game ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

njsykora posted:

Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis is still the greatest sports game ever made.

For sports that actually exist sure.

For ones that dont Deathrow is probably my personal favorite

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

C&C Red Alert 3 - Soviet campaign. Good times, bit on the cheesy side of course. I know there's not a ton of tricks an RTS can pull to increase mission variety, but "reveal 50-75% more map mid-game" gets a bit old after awhile. I guessed what was going to happen on the map where you end up fighting Krukov; oh an ally shows up in an isolated place with a fully-constructed base?? Hmm guess I'll park some Twinblades and Engies right by his poo poo just in case. I bet the co-op is really fun, but anything has to be better than the terrible AI. Still, I had fun!

C&C Remastered - GDI campaign. GDI is hilariously incompetent and constantly fails upwards it seems. The GDI campaign isn't as fun as the Nod campaign, but is still very good. I love the idea of a commando not getting clear instructions and just deciding to blow up whatever they want, with the following mission being "Uhhh so you didn't hear us, right? Blow up the airstrip this time, please."
The Remastered OST is so drat good. Frank Klepacki is a wizard

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

njsykora posted:

The greatest thing about this game is that it was originally just a tech demo for RAGE after EA bought Renderware.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I knew early PS3 standard bearer Heavenly Sword was criticised for being short but I still wasn't expecting it to be "finish in a single evening" level short. Boring combat, a story that shits itself inside out in the second half and horrible performance does not do anything to change my long held opinion of Ninja Theory as a company that does not deserve any of the reputation they seem to have.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

sonic 3 and knuckles clear. as a kid I could never get all the chaos emeralds in sonic 3, I never had the & knuckles. now the sonic 3 special stages are, not easy, but not really hard. the sonic and knuckles special stages were murder though.

the two things I didn't have as kid that made it doable were maps and youtube videos and, real important, control over when the sram saves

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Nice, did S3&K earlier this year myself. Got all the Sonic 3 emeralds, couldn't pull it off on the Knuckles side, though.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I've got sandopolis act 1 p' much memorized because of the ring locations

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Finally pushed and finished my replay of Pokemon Black. My opinion of it didn't really change since the first time I played it way back when. It still bores me in the second half and I'm less sure why now. Maybe its because they're stretching the plot to get to the "cliffhanger" ending to set up BW2? Like there's not enough divergences to distract me from beelining gym leader to gym leader. Ice gym felt like a nothingburger in particular.

And yes, I am aware that every Pokemon game is just a series of gym fights. It feels like something is missing after the halfway point. Maybe it's because N fucks off to the league and doesn't come back until the finale? And the rest of team Plasma are doing poo poo largely off screen at this point too? I don't know wtf, I'm still disappointed in it and am not gonna bother with the post game.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Double posting, woo! I've had some downtime leading up to the weekend so I cracked open one of the last gasps of the 3DS, Ever Oasis. I think I am roughly 2/3rd of the way through the game now and the easiest way to describe it is "we have Dark Cloud at home." It's a nice light city builder with action rpg elements that thus far hasn't gotten difficult or anything. If anything it's a bit linear for what it is. A perfect relaxation game too, although once I beat it, I don't see myself returning to it. I'm also on the edge of whether or not I'll 100% it, though I have a feeling not, simply because I have some long rear end games I want to beat on DS this year.

Also as an aside I mucked about with some of the games in the Sega Classics 3D Collection before starting Ever Oasis. And man is Power Drift is a fast and furious arcade racer! Laps in most courses are 25 seconds or less, and there are only 4 of them so if you gently caress up you're basically done. Definitely a git gud fast type of game because once you're off you're off; there's little to no down time between races. Better remember to slam back into low gear before the countdown to green finishes! Really liked the presentation in this one and little stuff like how your driver gestures as they pass other racers. The whole thing is peak 90s Sega which is a plus.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Almost done the Treasure Hunter G. The strategy/grid-style combat is a nice departure from other 16-bit RPGs but it does gdt to be kind of a slog after a while. I'm apparently at the last dungeon and after a couple of combats I notes out of finishing it for tonight. Maybe next week. Then I need to figure out what to do with my Fridays

Also broke out the Wii U to play just a little bit of Duck Tales Remastered. :buddy:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Square makes Mario RPG and then “uhhhhh what else can we do?”
Treasure Hunter G and Treasure of the Rudras are two late SNES/SFC square games I should give a spin.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 15:40 on May 4, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Been playing through Burning Rangers. It's awesome in that really stilted low-budget 90's anime sense. :v: I'm interested in getting to the post-game randomizer.

Also started Panzer Dragoon Saga. I was surprised to find out it is nominally a 15-20 hour game considering it comes on four discs. Anywho, I look forward to it. The art of the short JRPG has been lost and is still one of the main reasons Chrono Trigger is my GOAT.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, and although I wasn't really a Link kid (I was a Mario/Mega Man kid), I'm really enjoying it. The learning/difficulty curve makes the game challenging without feeling unfair, and there are all kinds of secrets I'm having fun trying to find. The soundtrack is also fantastic. I'm pretty early in the game - roughly halfway through the 'East Fortress' dungeon where you find the bow - and I've had the losing track of time effect while playing.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

drat ecco 2 has some good music

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

AlternateNu posted:

Been playing through Burning Rangers. It's awesome in that really stilted low-budget 90's anime sense. :v: I'm interested in getting to the post-game randomizer.

Also started Panzer Dragoon Saga. I was surprised to find out it is nominally a 15-20 hour game considering it comes on four discs. Anywho, I look forward to it. The art of the short JRPG has been lost and is still one of the main reasons Chrono Trigger is my GOAT.

The very first time I played Chrono Trigger was coming off completing FFVII and I took the same approach as I did to that game - exploring and grinding and clocked about 35-40 hours before finishing it.

These days I tend to complete a playthrough in less than 10 hours (or 15 minutes with the New Game+ developer room ending!)

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
Going slowly through Tiberian Sun. I knew about it and someone lent it to me back in the day, but never got far due to some issue (I think the CD was scrached).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TuxedoOrca posted:

Going slowly through Tiberian Sun. I knew about it and someone lent it to me back in the day, but never got far due to some issue (I think the CD was scrached).

Was Tiberian Sun one of the ones they were giving away for free some years ago. (Two, five, twelve years? Who knows anymore.) I think I downloaded like at least three Command & Conquerses from a website promoting whatever C&C was coming out at the time.

fe: According to Wikipedia it was made freeware in 2010.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah there was a whole period where it became a marketing idea to make some old PC games free to promote the series as a whole. Bethesda made Elder Scrolls Arena and Daggerfall free around Oblivion's release, Rockstar made GTA1 free around GTA4 and EA made a bunch of older C&C games free I think around C&C4 during that time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

njsykora posted:

Yeah there was a whole period where it became a marketing idea to make some old PC games free to promote the series as a whole. Bethesda made Elder Scrolls Arena and Daggerfall free around Oblivion's release, Rockstar made GTA1 free around GTA4 and EA made a bunch of older C&C games free I think around C&C4 during that time.

Good times :mmmhmm:

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

I don't think anyone actually played Daggerfall in 2010 though. I did play the demo when it came out, but apart from the graphical flash, it seemed boring and unergonomic even at that time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I don't think anyone actually played Daggerfall in 2010 though. I did play the demo when it came out, but apart from the graphical flash, it seemed boring and unergonomic even at that time.

Well no I meant more the C&Cs. They're all still very playable games. In fact a guy down the pub keeps pestering me to play the original C&C with him on-line.

I did, of course, play Arena. It is absolute dogshit; completely unplayable. But not for the reasons someone might think.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Beat Star Control 2 and Ace Combat 2 so now I'm playing the first Blood Omen. Still a cool game with great voice acting, the trap hitboxes are kind of bad but overall enjoying the game; haven't played in 10+ years.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Well no I meant more the C&Cs. They're all still very playable games. In fact a guy down the pub keeps pestering me to play the original C&C with him on-line.

I did, of course, play Arena. It is absolute dogshit; completely unplayable. But not for the reasons someone might think.

I think we’re in complete agreement!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Weird how Bethesda keeps releasing unplayably awful RPGs and they keep selling.

That's not a joke. I genuinely find it weird.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I don’t know — I did my share of hours in both Oblivion and Skyrim and while I don’t consider them pinnacles of game design, they were serviceable jank-sandboxes.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I played Skyrim knowing it was a bit of a jank sandbox. I get a sense of all the cams and pulleys whirling just off camera.
Enter a room and all the items on a shelf have to resettle because they were recreated a centimeter too high in the universe. You've never lived until you've been killed by an apple whose physics have gone haywire.

anyway - I'm trying to install Tale of Two Wastelands - https://mod.pub/ttw/133-tale-of-two-wastelands

quote:

A total conversion project that seamlessly merges Fallout 3 and its DLC into Fallout: New Vegas, allowing both games to be played in a single play-through. It upgrades Fallout 3's mechanics to those of FNV, while balancing both games to feel like you're playing one full game.

All the drat instructions assume you're already familiar with installing fallout mods. Sure, there's an installation video that takes you from zero https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Al3MS6RFOp4 but eeesh. I am thirty and / or forty years old and I do not have time for this.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Coffee Jones posted:

eeesh. I am thirty and / or forty years old and I do not have time for this.

Are you aware that New Vegas plays fine out of the box these days and that's the only thing "modern" worth playing with Fallout on the name, right? Skip that mod, save yourself the headache, and go have fun in a proper setting with an actual story and characters.

The game even plays fine on a Steam Deck, too, if you got one of those. More stable than on Windows, even.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Wario Land II is a departure from the first iteration - Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3. Wario Land was essentially another Mario game but swapping Wario as the protagonist. You had the introduction of Wario's shoulder charge, but it mostly played like a Mario game with power-ups that you lose on getting hit, an ability to die, etc.

With Wario Land II, they depart solidly from the Mario formula and bring in most of the elements you associate with a Wario platformer. Wario can no longer die, he just loses coins. There also aren't traditional power-ups. Instead, you get affected by specific enemies that cause Wario to transform temporarily (e.g. becoming a zombie that can phase through certain platforms or turning into a balloon that floats into the air). This adds a puzzle aspect to the platforming where you need certain transformations to get where you need to go.

The main thing I didn't like about this game was the map. The game is introduced as a series of chapters with different endings to those chapters that branch off into separate stories. Navigating through the map is a pain, and you don't get access to it until you've gone through the main storyline once. Also, once you've gotten an ending (there are several), you have to restart the GBC to get back to the stage selection. These are minor issues, though. The game is pretty solid overall.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 13:57 on May 8, 2024

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Coffee Jones posted:

You've never lived until you've been killed by an apple whose physics have gone haywire.

Perfect post/av combo, "Bad Apple" indeed.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Random Stranger posted:

Weird how Bethesda keeps releasing unplayably awful RPGs and they keep selling.

That's not a joke. I genuinely find it weird.

It worked for Pokemon Legend Arceus too. I knew full well that the game was jank, and that the world's biggest franchise should do better with its games, but I loved playing it and had the most fun I've had with a Pokemon game since Heartgold.

Edit: since I've got no other place to whine, I did some more side questing in Ever Oasis last night and really see where the complaints come from. The constant warping back to the oasis to change party members because you need someone else's ability for progression is getting to be a drag, and I've reached the point where it's getting difficult to keep all the shops stocked in town. I don't know if that last part is because I haven't been obsessively sending out npcs to resource gather for me. I think I should focus on wrapping up the main plot from now on and just finish out the game by this weekend.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 8, 2024

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Been playing Virtua Tennis 2 every night before bed recently, unbelievably good looking and playing game to this day.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

just about done with ecco 2. that game is not good. the first ecco game had cleverly designed levels and varied biomes which fit the narrative. it also had a solid coherent story for a game about a dolphin. ecco 2 has a dumb new gimmick in virtually every level and its difficulty is from cheap, irritating things. the one thing that's improved is that ecco's ability to flop around on rocks has been improved, good thing because there's a level or two largely dedicated to flopping around. turning into a bird and a shark and a jellyfish are cool and all but there isn't much of a level built around any of the transformations so they're just gimmicks. psychic flying space dolphins are cool, but the game doesn't really do anything with them. the 3d ring chaising warp stages suck. the game just flops around. the first ecco was inspired by researching dolphins in the ocean, the second was inspired by a trip to marine world and a memo from sega demanding the team show off fake mode 7 and slingshot physics on every level.

onto the true sequel to ecco, ecco jr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

The Voice of Labor posted:

just about done with ecco 2. that game is not good. the first ecco game had cleverly designed levels and varied biomes which fit the narrative. it also had a solid coherent story for a game about a dolphin. ecco 2 has a dumb new gimmick in virtually every level and its difficulty is from cheap, irritating things. the one thing that's improved is that ecco's ability to flop around on rocks has been improved, good thing because there's a level or two largely dedicated to flopping around. turning into a bird and a shark and a jellyfish are cool and all but there isn't much of a level built around any of the transformations so they're just gimmicks. psychic flying space dolphins are cool, but the game doesn't really do anything with them. the 3d ring chaising warp stages suck. the game just flops around. the first ecco was inspired by researching dolphins in the ocean, the second was inspired by a trip to marine world and a memo from sega demanding the team show off fake mode 7 and slingshot physics on every level.

onto the true sequel to ecco, ecco jr.

lmk when you get to defender of the future