Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

SavageMessiah posted:

Working on Incubation now. This one I actually finished back in the day but it's really good despite being butt-ugly.

Is it easy to get up and running on modern gear, or are you using an older PC? I remember it being cool when I tried the demo (remember those?), but I never got the full game back then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Played through the first 2 Mega Man games tonight, got up to Wiley Stage 3 in Mega Man 1 before I caved in and whipped out the save states but still fantastic games, think I'll play through the rest of the series and I'm using livesplit just as a pace setter, whether I'll go back and actually attempt to speedrun we will see, I'd rather just beat the main games first but yeah they have that weighty feeling that most platformers don't and the rock-paper-scissors style of the boss weapons is just a classic mechanic.

Music also pops but that goes without saying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJdFxTOysjo

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Rappaport posted:

Is it easy to get up and running on modern gear, or are you using an older PC? I remember it being cool when I tried the demo (remember those?), but I never got the full game back then.

I'm playing the gog version. I had to track down some dll files someone scavenged from another game but after that it worked fine on win 11 though the music would cut out sometimes. The gog forum for the game has a thread taking about what to do.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

I've been rotating through some arcadelike snes games that I can pop on for a 30-40 minute attempt and then go on with my day. When it comes to retro games, I've mostly stuck to platformers and rpgs, so going out of my comfort zone has been rewarding. My list right now is King of Dragons, Knights of the Round, U.N. Squadron, and Wild Guns.

I beat King of Dragons last week, very fun beat'em up game, learning how to fight each enemy, and when and where to block. I like that the stages are mostly short.

Knights of the Round I still haven't beat, the furthest I've been is the last stage on the first of three bosses. This game felt very unfair at first and it's taking me longer to beat than KoD despite being very similar games. I think I'm getting the hang of it. Figuring out when to parry has been a lot of the trouble, and I still haven't figured out a strategy for the hammer boss other than hitting him as much as I can and blowing through my lives. I really wanted to beat this because it's something we rented and couldn't beat back in the day.

I beat Wild Guns a few days ago. I think it's really the only gallery shooter I've ever played, and it owns. Lots of things to keep track of on screen. Going to try to beat this at Hard difficulty.

U.N. Squadron is definitely the hardest game of this group. It's really hard despite having a very forgiving mechanic where you can take multiple hits so long as you don't hit them consecutively. There's a lot of depth to this game I haven't touched yet with all of the different planes and sub-weapons available.

Also just now I beat Pilotwings for the first time. The light plane stages in the later lessons, especially lesson 8, are loving bullshit. The helicopter missions are real difficult too, it took me a while to figure out just how to manipulate the AA guns into not hitting me perfectly. I had a lot of deaths that were just me scrolling the AA guns onto the screen and instantly being shot down before I could even react. Lots of turning and varying the height of the helicopter was the key. Very frustrating.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Been playing X-Com: Enemy Unknown a whole bunch lately, though admittedly a good deal of this has been mods.

I'm almost wrapped up with Burnout 3, which I only actually fired up on a whim with the intent of screwing around in crash mode for half an hour, now hear I am knocking out gold medals all over the place. Burnout 3, I'm pleased to report, still rules.

I've also been idly playing some SimCity 3000 but ehhh it's not quite grabbing me for some reason, I just lay out a few blocks and close it again, sometimes while thinking "I should sort out the mods for SC4". I'll give it another one or two sessions but I think it's likely going to be put to bed for the foreseeable future.

E; oh and from the last page, fully agreed on Syndicate Wars being a serious upgrade and improvement over the original. I'll be hearing "MOVE. ALONG." in my head until the day I die.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Mar 6, 2024

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

Been playing X-Com: Enemy Unknown a whole bunch lately, though admittedly a good deal of this has been mods.

I'm almost wrapped up with Burnout 3, which I only actually fired up on a whim with the intent of screwing around in crash mode for half an hour, now hear I am knocking out gold medals all over the place. Burnout 3, I'm pleased to report, still rules.

I've also been idly playing some SimCity 3000 but ehhh it's not quite grabbing me for some reason, I just lay out a few blocks and close it again, sometimes while thinking "I should sort out the mods for SC4". I'll give it another one or two sessions but I think it's likely going to be put to bed for the foreseeable future.

E; oh and from the last page, fully agreed on Syndicate Wars being a serious upgrade and improvement over the original. I'll be hearing "MOVE. ALONG." in my head until the day I die.

KEEP. MOVING.

DanReed74
Jun 1, 2018
I’ve been going through the Dragon Quest games (again), and I am on DQ4. While I beat it back on the NES, this is the first time I’ve played it with party chat, and it adds so much character and humor, it’s as if it’s a different game. Going through each town with different characters is fascinating, especially if you make sure they are in the same party as their original companions so they can have conversations during the party chat with each other.

I plan to continue on through the series, though I haven’t beaten 7, 8, 9, or 11, and only one spinoff (DQ Builders 1). I didn’t like DQ Builders 2 nearly as much as 1, but I plan to give it another shot. I wish 10 offline would be brought over, I’ve heard it’s really good.

I wish there’d be more news on the DQ3 remake, and I wish all of the earlier games were given the same treatment. It is good to see that they still localize the DQ games, so there’s still reason to hope.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Rubellavator posted:

I beat King of Dragons last week, very fun beat'em up game, learning how to fight each enemy, and when and where to block. I like that the stages are mostly short.

I just played King of Dragons, through Capcom's Beat 'Em Up Bundle, for the first time as well. Surprisingly easy and short but a good time. It's the predecessor for Capcoms later DnD beatemups which are great as well.

I'm currently playing Battle Isle 2. It's a turned based strategy game in the vein of Military Madness/Advanced Wars. I'm only on the sixth mission but it's already going tough.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I just finished Tomb Raider 1 via the new Tomb Raider Remaster. I'd been wanting to play through all the Tomb Raider games, and I had bought the TR trilogy pack on GOG some years ago, but I decided to grab the remaster so I didn't have to fuss with trying to up the resolution.

I played with the classic controls and using the classic graphics (though I'd switch over to the remaster visuals briefly every now-and-then to compare). I also used a guide to help me figure out where to go and where to find the secrets.

Maybe using a guide makes a big difference, but I have to say that I really liked the game. There's something really satisfying about navigating the levels, climbing around, jumping gaps, and flipping between platforms.

There's actually some nuances to the movement that I wasn't expecting. I started out thinking that holding the grab button would be wise, but doing so alters the trajectory of your jump. You get more horizontal distance by not holding grab, but there are instances where you want to hold grab so you don't overshoot a platform. It took me a bit to figure out that doing standing jumps work better for grabbing ledges, where as running jumps to platforms that are to close to you will result in you just bumping into the side of a ledge.

Where I think the game fumbles is in regards to combat. In most cases, it's not hard, because as long as you can get to a level above or below where enemies can reach, you can just shoot them with your pistols until they die. However, they tend to run off behind walls or under floors, and since there's no manual aiming, you can't hit them unless you get close enough to lock on.

If you are on the same level as them, then you have to flip around to try and avoid them, but with most of the animal enemies that rush you, you can get into a bind where in trying to flip around and keep a lock on them, you get disoriented. Ranged enemies are honestly easier to deal with, because as long as you flip from side-to-side, you can avoid or minimize the damage you take.

I wanted to try and get the achievement where you beat the main game in under 86 saves, and I ended up doing with only 45. I had to redo some sections a couple of times, but I didn't have too much trouble (again, I might've side-stepped a lot of the frustration thanks to using a guide).

Thankfully, the Unfinished Business expansion doesn't have a save-game achievement, and I found that I needed saves a lot more there, since those levels are a lot harder (probably made about 55 saves). I was kind of getting burned out towards the end, which makes me a bit worried about jumping right into Tomb Raider 2, so maybe I'll play something else before starting that.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

now playing the snes shadowrun.

in its comparative defense, the genesis graphics and music are really appropriately scungy for shadowrun. the protoopen world gameplay had potential. the genesis one is much harder to softlock and it didn't have any pixel hunting.

the snes one definitely had way more polish and time applied to it. it also has dog

both weird games and weird that they're both action rpgs. I wonder if the segacd shadowrun will ever get translated

rivid
Jul 17, 2005

Matt 24:44
I stopped drinking altogether around Christmas and now am finding I need a new outlet. I haven't really gamed in a while, but it's my outlet again for an hour a day to decompress. Made a list of games I'd like to complete or pick up and play - and the list was all GameBoy and GBA titles.

I dug out my old 3DS I bought off of the SA Mart 10~ years ago and followed the instructions to get the Virtual Console to run GB and GBA roms.

Recently finished a play through of Advanced Wars. As a kid I never finished the final level. After beating it I'm not really interested in playing the new game+ when I saw how one sided the battles were.

Playing through Pokemon Crystal. In middle school when I was about 12 a girl in my class sold me her copy for $15. I stopped playing around the time you get the shiny Gyrados because I think I hosed up catching it and then saved the game. What's funny is that when Red/Blue came out I was obsessed with Pokemon. I was 8. Like I burnt through the family AOL hours by staying up late at night and jumping fan site to fan site with all the same information while playing the game in between web pages loading. But for some reason the release of Gold and Silver kinda completely missed me. Probably for the best, with the amount of content in the new game, I think I would have just fallen further down the rabbit hole.

Concurrently playing through Castlevania Circle of The Moon. My brother had a copy of this game and I remember it being fun. Most of the criticism was around the screen and graphics being dark which is a non issue now.

Once I beat those games I'll likely play Megaman Battle Network, a Pokemon FireRed randomizer, and then the GBA port of Breath of Fire.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Pokemon FireRed has so many different RomHacks. I totally recommend looking into them and seeing if any interest you. There's much more than just randomizers out there. Same for Crystal. If you're not too far into it, I'd recommend looking at those too. I'm playing through Sour Crystal. It's neat and brings a lot of QoL changes from the later games into gen II.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Went to Galloping Ghost arcade again. I always turn up there if I'm in the Chicago area.

Outside of the usual CPS2 fighters and Mortal Kombat (midway / bally / williams, etc) they have a lot of stuff from the deep back catalog that MAME offers. Problem with having a complete mame ROM archive is that discoverability is HARD, and anything with a control scheme that isn't the basic JAMMA can't be easily replicated. They REALLY rotate their cabinets outside of the mainstays. And since arcades are super-duper hit driven, there's one game that everyone knows like Tapper but others created at the same time like Timber https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWQ08miOlFc and Domino Man https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV3eS3s5ENI that are obscure.

Their arcade of Sonic The Fighters still has a CRT whose electron gun is just barely hanging on... it's fine - you can play it on Game Cube, but it's still somewhat obscure these days. The image of Amy Rose walloping the snotting poo poo out of Tails with her hammer delights me to no end and I feel it should be shared with the world.

They finally fixed the CRT on Battletoads Arcade https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBeoMPXADtA
Wikipedia describes reviewers as being blown away by the quality of it. It has nice sprites and backgrounds but it just keeps throwing hordes of bullet sponge enemies at you. The game could be half the length and still feel tedious like you're doing the same moves and fighting the same enemies over again. I don't know what makes Simpsons and Turtles arcades so fun. I watched three groups of people pick up and drop the game after twenty minutes. I pushed myself to try to see the end of it, but only made it 2/3's of the way in. The arcade is noisy - some of the games are turned up to maximum volume and it's tiring to stand in one place.

Interesting new discoveries:

Penguin Brothers is a nice modern spin on Bubble Bobble - single screen games aren't too common after the mid 80's, so it's almost nostalgic in the same way Donut Dodo is. Also, nice to see a sprite based game after the world went to polygons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX6k9ZkGuA4

Gaiapolis - a vertical screened fantasy themed beat-em up from Konami that's AFAIK Japan only. Kinda easy for a beat-em up, especially since Battletoads is a quarter muncher. Galloping Ghost has the games set to Free Play though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cts1-rHBjrk

Risky Challenge is a fun falling block puzzle game. Also available for Super Famicom but why have hamburger when you can have steak?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVUb0kD1P5A

The First Funky Fighter is played on a 3x3 button grid - glorified whack a mole, but drat if the game's theme doesn't fall into the "So Dumb It's Awesome" space that Trio The Punch inhabits.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDluPev0BPQ

One nice thing about arcades vs 8 and 16 bit consoles is that they're all 'Here's the best we can do with the tech at the time without any cost constraints' - SNES has slowdown and low resolution, NES is tied to old hardware. Genesis or TG-16 games might be have the speed of arcade games but arcade ports are cut down to fit into 256 or 512kb rom carts.

DanReed74 posted:

I wish there’d be more news on the DQ3 remake, and I wish all of the earlier games were given the same treatment. It is good to see that they still localize the DQ games, so there’s still reason to hope.
tell me about it. I got a few hours into the GBC and SFC games but just want to hold off until the HD remake with properly revised mechanics.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 11, 2024

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Ok thread. I’m going to flip the script a bit and ask for what I should be playing. I’ve been doing a lot of console modding recently, and I’ve started a whole lot of games that I should probably stick out and finish. So to be a bit more methodical, what are the first couple I should focus on:

Paper Mario (N64)
Nights into Dreams (Saturn)
Jet Grind Radio (Dreamcast)
Valkyria Chronicles 3 (PPSSPP emu)
Birth By Sleep (PPSSPP emu)
Metroid Zero Mission (GBA SP)
Xenosaga Eps 1 (PS2)
Final Fantasy 6 (Divergent Paths mod, emu)
Radiant Historia (3DS remake)
Fate/Extra CCC (PPSSPP emu)
Ys: Oath of Felghana (PSP undub mod)

The only one of these I’ve actually finished before is JGR.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Mar 12, 2024

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'd start with Zero Mission, you can probably beat that in 1 or 2 sittings

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

When Metroid Zero Mission is being a 2D Metroid game, the game is by far the best 2D Metroid game I've played. When it's not, it's infuriatingly bad.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

When Metroid Zero Mission is being a 2D Metroid game, the game is by far the best 2D Metroid game I've played. When it's not, it's infuriatingly bad.

the stealth sections? yeah they suck

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Almost done with DQ3. I changed my characters classes around level 40 so they had all their spells before the switch. The one issue with that is that bow my hero's level is totally out of whack with the rest of the party, so I've taken to murdering him while the rest grind away on goopis/grandtitans. Means he doesn't get any higher level and they get a 25% experience boost.

Went from fighter, priest and wizard to sage, and two fighters respectively. Kinda wish I'd made the wizard a warrior because there just isn't enough good equipment in the game for two fighters.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

JollyBoyJohn posted:

I'd start with Zero Mission, you can probably beat that in 1 or 2 sittings

Wait, is it really that short?

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Saoshyant posted:

Yeah it's about 4 hours or so

Mad that it's been longer since zero mission came out than the time between the original and zero mission

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Coffee Jones posted:

Went to Galloping Ghost arcade again.

Not quoting the whole thing, but this is a pretty cool post. I didn't know many of those games. I'm going to check at the very least Gaiapolis and Risky Challenge.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Saoshyant posted:

yah. and thankfully the stealth sections are short and basically postgame content added to Zero Mission specifically so you can safely skip it if you hate it

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Quiet Feet posted:

Almost done with DQ3. I changed my characters classes around level 40 so they had all their spells before the switch. The one issue with that is that bow my hero's level is totally out of whack with the rest of the party, so I've taken to murdering him while the rest grind away on goopis/grandtitans. Means he doesn't get any higher level and they get a 25% experience boost.

Went from fighter, priest and wizard to sage, and two fighters respectively. Kinda wish I'd made the wizard a warrior because there just isn't enough good equipment in the game for two fighters.

Yeah, the character switch is a trap. I double-fisted myself by switching to an extra-tough class (I forget what it was) that only becomes viable once you level the gently caress up and it wasn’t worth. It must have been great in 1990 on your third play-through, but in the year of our lord 2023 I was 40 hours in and ready to be done with it and it would just… go… on and on with me dragging an extra sucky character to boot.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The post-game of zero mission is good, actually

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

it's not a post-game! the mission isn't over until you do it

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
actually there is no mission. hence the "zero". the entire game is a mother brain induced hallucination.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

Tomb Raider stuff

Tomb Raider II is a much better game than TR but it's a lot more combat heavy, with no manual aiming again so get used to being ambushed out of nowhere time and time again.

Though once you get the grenade launcher combat from a distance becomes stupidly easy.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Trick question - what are the best SNES American football, baseball and golf games? I’m looking for single titles (not series) as these are sports I know nothing about and I want to see the platform’s best.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mokotow posted:

Trick question - what are the best SNES American football, baseball and golf games? I’m looking for single titles (not series) as these are sports I know nothing about and I want to see the platform’s best.

Hal's Hole in One Golf might be the best golf game. Since Hal made the original Nintendo Golf and tons of other 8-bit golf games, they were the experts on golf video games at that point.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Mokotow posted:

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, hands down the best baseball game for the SNES.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Joe Chill posted:

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball, hands down the best baseball game for the SNES.

Truth.

The home run derby mode on that game was so loving fun.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Joe Chill posted:

Besides baseball simulator 1000.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Just saw Ken Griffin Jr Baseball on YT today by chance, gonna give it a spin. Thanks for the golf suggestion.

What about football? Madden?

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

Never played it on the SNES but Tecmo Super Bowl is supposed to be good (The original on the NES is great).

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Mokotow posted:

Yeah, the character switch is a trap. I double-fisted myself by switching to an extra-tough class (I forget what it was) that only becomes viable once you level the gently caress up and it wasn’t worth. It must have been great in 1990 on your third play-through, but in the year of our lord 2023 I was 40 hours in and ready to be done with it and it would just… go… on and on with me dragging an extra sucky character to boot.

I wanted to try new party combo but I kept putting it off because I would think "oh, I'm probably only a level or two away from this spell" and in the end just ended up starting over late and it was annoying. I think if you do engage with the class system, it's better to do it early and accept that your hybrids won't be as awesome as they otherwise could be.

Anyway, beat the game tonight! The SFC version is nice with the extra embellishments and all but it still really feels like a game of the late 8-bit era. It was nice to revisit since I haven't played any version of it in years though. Zoma was tougher than I remember. Went in with 48 Hero, 42 Fighter (ex priest), 42 Fighter (ex wizard) and 40 sage (ex fighter) and used up 3/4s of everyone's MP.

Mokotow posted:

I don't know about golf or baseball, but for football it's either Tecmo Super Bowl or Tecmo Super Bowl III. The original is more fun and arcade-y while the third game is more technical. It's hard to say which is better. They tried to nudge the series in a more serious, realistic direction, improved the graphics and added some options and a franchise mode with a create-a-player feature. All that said, they removed the music which is kind of a buzzkill.

Actually for baseball, I'll say I tried Extra Innings recently and it was better than I'd expected. Cartoon-y presentation and nice sound.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.

Joe Chill posted:

Never played it on the SNES but Tecmo Super Bowl is supposed to be good (The original on the NES is great).

It’s still a game that gets actively updated and has tournaments everywhere.

https://tecmobowl.org/files/file/821-tecmo-super-bowl-2024-presented-by-tecmobowlorg/

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I wish gunple: gunman's proof had a less problematic first encountered and most common enemy

Dr. Zoggle
Aug 12, 2006
Go Blue!

The SNES version of Tecmo Super Bowl, while a decent game, doesn't hold a candle to the NES version.

They stripped it of all the weirdness. No more PR's having same max speed as the SS due to a glitch. No more Bob Nelson being among the elite of the game. Lonnie Young's mutant rushing power. Grogan being able to throw a pass and have it asap grabbed by a linebacker as soon as it's released. WR's are toned down at RB, so no more having Jerry Rice as the best running back in the game.

Oh and pass accuracy actually works, so Elway is a decent QB unlike OG Tecmo Super Bowl and that sucks.

There's a big reason you see a ton of NES Super Tecmo Bowl edits and not that many for the SNES and Genesis versions.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Been playing a bunch of PS2 games I'd never tried before on a FreeMcBoot card, and man, if you'd showed me a YouTube video of Arctic Thunder I would have thought it was a PS1 game. It's almost impressive how they made a racer with so little going on that choppy and blocky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I've played every Final Fantasy game apart from Final Fantasy IX, and it's time to rectify that.

I'm about three hours in, and struggling to get into it. Anyone have any tips? None of the characters are very likeable, especially Zidane which doesn't help as he's the main character and combat feels very slow despite turning the speed up to maximum.