Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Big Scary Owl posted:

Subtle chinese brainwashing to get you hype about Diablo 4 and forget about Hong Kong!!!!!!!!!!
If Blizzard had brainwashing powers, they'd use them to make people forget about Hellfire. They didn't work on that expansion, and they hate it and basically had to be pressured into adding it to the GOG release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I started replaying some Super Mario Bros. 2 for a bit but canned it about 30 minutes in. Jesus the vine/ladder climbing is horrible. You have to be pretty much dead-centre at all times else you just fall off; even when you're climbing up a shaft only one tile wide, you fall off anyway if you move so much as mere pixels left or right of centre. Compare this to SMB3 or SMW.

Slippery, slidey old bollocks. It's a shame because I actually like SMB2 for the most part, but this climbing poo poo is a real pain in the balls.
I do remember it being rather sensitive on hardware. I would blame muscle memory for that. Put in more time to get accustomed to the controls and you should be better off. Let me guess, Toad, right?

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Scalding Coffee posted:

I do remember it being rather sensitive on hardware. I would blame muscle memory for that. Put in more time to get accustomed to the controls and you should be better off. Let me guess, Toad, right?

Mario :smith:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Once I figured out "saving" in Chaos World, I've gotten further in it, so I'm just going to copy my post from the RPG thread in the main Games forum, for my thoughts on it:

In my quest to play Old rear end RPGs that aren't the big name franchises, I'm playing Natsume's Chaos World (Japan only, 1991) for the NES right now.

I haven't beaten it yet, but it does a few interesting things. It's overall a little...meh, but that's because everything it does was done better later. A day/night cycle that changes much of nothing (shops are closed, pubs are open, but that's about it). What's almost a primitive form of FFXII's gambits, where you select a strategy (in this game, formations), and the computer plays out the battle for you, but you don't have the option of complete control). A bunch of potential party members, through a guild system, but they're all precreated, so you get what you get and being an NES game, there's not much personality there. Jobs through the guild system, that require either male or female characters, or certain classes, very similar to the system in FF Tactics where you just send them off and dick around for a while.

Music sounds really nice, but hoo boy, is it repetitive.

Overworld graphics are pretty good for the system. Nothing super special, but pleasing enough.

Battle graphics are somewhat simple (old school black background, faceless characters), but also not bad.

A nice touch though, is both sides have simple animations for doing stuff.

As for the translation, as you can see from the last screen, it's got some issues here and there. There are also a lot of abbreviations in menus and the like. It's a pretty early Aeon Genesis translation, so it doesn't quite have the polish of later releases (I believe a redo of it is in the works). But it's playable all the way through, which is good enough for me.

Anyway, overall, it's not the worst I've played. It has kept me interested enough to continue, which is all I really ask for from a game. But it probably won't get a replay anytime soon, as the only real replay value seems to be some (maybe only one? Not sure) of the characters you can recruit change based on which class you pick for your starting character, and using different team formations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In my quest to play Old rear end RPGs that aren't the big name franchises, I'm playing Natsume's Chaos World (Japan only, 1991) for the NES right now.

Oof this reminded me I still have a copy of Ghost Lion to try and get through along with many other off brand RPGs. (Okage, Evolution Worlds, Glory of Heracles, Last Story, and 3D Dot Heroes, if action RPGs count, just to name a few)

Anyways content. I dropped Feel the Magic to start Rub Rabbits which is a much better game even though it's really more of the same just presented better. Part of it is more variation in the mini games but I am now nearing the end of the game so the recycling of levels begins. This one I'll probably finish if I don't hit a brick wall of a boss fight like the last game but won't spend the time trying for all the unlocks. Both are definetly a boot it up in an emulator if you're curious type game: I wouldn't bother seeking out a legit copy to collect.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I started replaying some Super Mario Bros. 2 for a bit but canned it about 30 minutes in. Jesus the vine/ladder climbing is horrible. You have to be pretty much dead-centre at all times else you just fall off; even when you're climbing up a shaft only one tile wide, you fall off anyway if you move so much as mere pixels left or right of centre. Compare this to SMB3 or SMW.

Slippery, slidey old bollocks. It's a shame because I actually like SMB2 for the most part, but this climbing poo poo is a real pain in the balls.

Yeah you have to really press up and nothing else while climbing, it's a bit of a downside to that game but otherwise I'm a big fan of SMB2, it has so much cool stuff.

Disco Anne
Apr 1, 2010

Assume you're going to survive.

lets hang out posted:

this game is crazy ambitious. you sneak snipers through the streets to get to their positions, then use them to take shots at terrorists in the windows before you bust in with your main squad to clear the embassy. it's a lot of fun

I don't think I ever got the third sniper into position. I should try again.

I'm playing through System Shock. The original (and better game), which controls well enough with the enhanced edition. I apparently have no memory whatsoever of the communications level, which makes things interesting.

I really need to revisit Dark Cloud 2 also. One of the best soundtracks out there; maybe there are even ways to mod the monster transformation to actually be useful now?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Check out "Tchernobog" some time. It's quite something, and best of all it's (unlike Hellfire) multiplayer compatible!
Thanks, looks dope, I'll check it out.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

Just started Jak II (the PS3 remaster). I had no idea this was an open world game - so far it feels like Infamous with the electric Dark Jak stuff and turning on pumping stations. Camera is a little wonky but inverting it helped.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I loved Jak II. there's some bad missions... like atrociously bad... but for the most part it's super compelling and the game keeps it pretty fresh. giving Jak a voice was a good call. it's probably my favourite of the three even if i prefer the Mad Max aesthetic of the third. 2's story and characters are just better

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Currently playing Road Rash II thanks to the thread on here.

I'd forgotten just how hard Stage 5 was, though.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I was playing Duke Nukum [sic] just ten minutes ago but then Windows 98 froze :(

It's the best platformer I've played. Until you get to the commercial parts which could suck because you already bought the game.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp AngryRobotsInc inspired me to start in on an "offbrand" RPG from the four letter word category of anime license: it's Inuyasha the Secret of the Divine Jewel for DS! And better yet it's suprisingly okay! I'm enjoying the battle system as it allows you to have other party member assist in an attack or take a hit for someone else and the whole thing is based on easily rechargeable action points for these assists and the big signature attacks (which everyone has all of theirs from the show).

There's some of the usual jank with lisenced games, but overall this is easily the best of the four Inuyasha games that made it westward and it satisfies my inner 12 year old fangirl just fine. As long as the fanfic plot doesn't take as big a turn into stupid as it did in the PS2 RPG game it should remain a good time.

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010
I'm still working through Sega Genesis Classics on Switch and figured I'd post some thoughts on the most recent games I've played:

The Genesis version of Galaxy Force 2 is basically unplayable. The arcade version is infinitely superior.
Heres a link to a comparison video on YouTube to show the difference in quality.

Gunstar Heroes remains fantastic and the hard mode is ridiculously intense.

I'm having a lot of fun with Kid Chameleon, but it's too long and difficult to beat without cheating. Also it's a Mark Cerny game?

I played the first 30 or so minutes of Landstalker, and can't get used to the controls. It feels like a quality game though, and I want to keep at it.

the rat fandom fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 8, 2019

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I don't know what possessed me to do this, but I'm playing Cadash on Sega MegaDrive.

It's pretty bad. I thought it was a bad enough game on TG16 with the first boss absolutely demanding that you grind through killing hordes of pigmen and skeletons to level up enough but the MD version doesn't even have the Priestess or Ninja, leaving you with the horrible choice of either the lovely Fighter or wimpy Mage. I chose the Mage, because keeping poo poo away and killing it with ranged attacks is absolutely how you survive this crap.

On the other hand, the boxart for the MD port does feature the best attempt at a "human" face since Trevor Belmont on the Japanese boxart for Castlevania III:

Look at THAT.

the rat fandom posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Kid Chameleon, but it's too long and difficult to beat without cheating.
I have several problems with this game, and the fact that it takes forever to complete is one of them (in addition to some of the worst momentum handling in a platformer with precise jumps, which serves to make the game take even longer to finish via bullshit difficulty). After a while it stops feeling like you've accomplished anything with any level completion and the game turns into something that feels more like tedious unpaid work and less like playing a game and having fun.

I wouldn't put it anywhere near a compilation collection until well after selecting at least 50 or so other games first, and even then I'd be hesitant. I honestly don't understand why it's lauded as one of the best on the system; it's got one neat concept (a wide assortment of different powerups) but it's all built on crappy handling and bland level design. I just don't get it! :shrug:

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

I have several problems with this game, and the fact that it takes forever to complete is one of them (in addition to some of the worst momentum handling in a platformer with precise jumps, which serves to make the game take even longer to finish via bullshit difficulty). After a while it stops feeling like you've accomplished anything with any level completion and the game turns into something that feels more like tedious unpaid work and less like playing a game and having fun.

I wouldn't put it anywhere near a compilation collection until well after selecting at least 50 or so other games first, and even then I'd be hesitant. I honestly don't understand why it's lauded as one of the best on the system; it's got one neat concept (a wide assortment of different powerups) but it's all built on crappy handling and bland level design. I just don't get it! :shrug:

It blows my mind there isn't even a password feature. I really enjoyed searching through the levels for continue coins and whatnot, but after a couple of hours you kind of just want to be done and still have half a game left. I have no idea how people beat it back on the Genesis before save states.

The worst part about the control is easily the special moves. I didn't even know they existed for way too long and using them against enemies, especially the death ray, is really awkward and frustrating.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

the rat fandom posted:

It blows my mind there isn't even a password feature. I really enjoyed searching through the levels for continue coins and whatnot, but after a couple of hours you kind of just want to be done and still have half a game left. I have no idea how people beat it back on the Genesis before save states.

The worst part about the control is easily the special moves. I didn't even know they existed for way too long and using them against enemies, especially the death ray, is really awkward and frustrating.

I'm not sure a password feature would be enough to compensate for how bullshit the game gets, although they'd certainly have been more useful than the passwords in Zombies Ate My Neighbours (which were just useless and cruel after the first Giant Baby fight).

Stelio Kontos
Feb 12, 2014
My xbone kicked the bucket so an hdmi port opened up on my tv for the SNES classic and I decided to pick back up where I left off in Mario RPG (got to Marrymore) and FFVI (Zozo).

Good times.

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!
Castlevania: SotN, all I can say is this poo poo was brilliant for the time period it was released in. This is my first ever play through I never really heard too much about it mysteriously when it was out originally either. The retro scene came and everybody was going ape poo poo over it for years and I finally got around to checking it out, great game definitely.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

MitchFM posted:

Castlevania: SotN, all I can say is this poo poo was brilliant for the time period it was released in. This is my first ever play through I never really heard too much about it mysteriously when it was out originally either. The retro scene came and everybody was going ape poo poo over it for years and I finally got around to checking it out, great game definitely.

I’ve had this sitting on my PS3 forever, I need to finally get around to playing it.

Edit: is SoTN as difficult as Chronicles? I tried playing that one awhile ago and gave up.

McGurk fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Nov 10, 2019

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

came here to post about SotN, too- I'd also never played it before last week, and it's a really good game, very modern-feeling for being from over two decades ago (aside from a couple quirks here and there)

I was way into PC gaming in the late 90s and missed p much every non-RPG PSX game; got into Metroidvanias recently and holy poo poo there's a reason people point to SotN as defining the genre alongside the Metroids

idk that I have the patience to go through and 100% the game, but I beat the fakeout bad end boss, and now I'm after the twist, and it is absolutely delightful that they gated off half the game behind a semi-secret - deffo gonna kill Dracula on this run at the very least

It's relatively easy for the first half of the game, then it ramps things up considerably just when you're getting comfortable

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

After turning in a difficult assignment, I felt I deserved to unwind a bit with some pointless 16 bit fishing so I played Shigesato Itoi's Bass Fishing No. 1. It's a surprisingly realistic looking fishing game for the SNES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KwTtDtghGs

I dunno how I did it, but after sitting through the endless visual novel style explanation and introduction I actually did manage to catch a 1kg largemouth bass. I felt like I can now say that I completed the game.

mthang0851
Sep 15, 2002

Diamonds Are Forever!
SotN:

I did like 92% without any guides I used the guides for like the last little stuff that I though there was no way to find without it. Until I found out what the Faerie card is for via the guides so it was possible. So the Holy Sword, Holy Card, & stuff like that everything else was pretty easy. I even found that secret stair case before you fight Ritcher by accident myself. I'm stuck at 99.7% with the guides I just found a map with every item location bout to run through that before I enter the next castle. I warped there and warped right back. I think you're suppose to have 100.1% or something like that before exploring the next castle, I know you don't have to but I was going for a full complete 200.6% on one run, figured it be easier to keep track of.

I'd say its better then Chronicles and easier without ever playing it simply on the grounds its open ended. But I plan on running through all the Castlevania's so I'll find out if something tops SotN. I think there's one on Saturn that's gonna be a bitch to try and play for a while.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Played some Dragon Wars and had an enemy pop up for the first time in uhh thirty years of playing? In every previous play through they've been an "invisible" NPC, i.e. text only, that you can interact with but this time they just straight up Leroy Jenkinsed my party.

For a game that uses graphics very sparingly and came on a single 9 cm diskette, they sure have more characters whose graphics and animations are used only once in the game (or in this case once every dozen games) than one would think.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

MitchFM posted:

SotN:

I did like 92% without any guides I used the guides for like the last little stuff that I though there was no way to find without it. Until I found out what the Faerie card is for via the guides so it was possible. So the Holy Sword, Holy Card, & stuff like that everything else was pretty easy. I even found that secret stair case before you fight Ritcher by accident myself. I'm stuck at 99.7% with the guides I just found a map with every item location bout to run through that before I enter the next castle. I warped there and warped right back. I think you're suppose to have 100.1% or something like that before exploring the next castle, I know you don't have to but I was going for a full complete 200.6% on one run, figured it be easier to keep track of.

I'd say its better then Chronicles and easier without ever playing it simply on the grounds its open ended. But I plan on running through all the Castlevania's so I'll find out if something tops SotN. I think there's one on Saturn that's gonna be a bitch to try and play for a while.

As someone who has played through SOTN more times than I can count, I personally absolve you of the responsibility of looking at the Saturn SOTN port. Find YouTube clips of the poo poo but don’t waste effort for what amounts to very sparse difference for awful performance.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

After turning in a difficult assignment, I felt I deserved to unwind a bit with some pointless 16 bit fishing so I played Shigesato Itoi's Bass Fishing No. 1. It's a surprisingly realistic looking fishing game for the SNES: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KwTtDtghGs

I dunno how I did it, but after sitting through the endless visual novel style explanation and introduction I actually did manage to catch a 1kg largemouth bass. I felt like I can now say that I completed the game.

...There's a Shigesato Itoi fishing game? :aaa:

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Big Scary Owl posted:

...There's a Shigesato Itoi fishing game? :aaa:

Yeah, it has some small Earthbound-like touches, some silly characters and you flirt with the girl who gives you your fishing card.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Further Off Brand RPG Adventures, I've moved onto Crystalis. Played it before, but it's been a looooong time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Further Off Brand RPG Adventures, I've moved onto Crystalis. Played it before, but it's been a looooong time.

Gave that a BIS and man why is (computer video game) cover art so lame these days?

(Speaking of adventure game covers, is Vallejo still alive?)

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Jerry Cotton posted:

Gave that a BIS and man why is (computer video game) cover art so lame these days?

(Speaking of adventure game covers, is Vallejo still alive?)

Boris Vallejo? Yeah, he's still kicking around. Was 78 this year. He and his wife, Julie Bell, are both still doing art. I don't know about singular projects, but they collaborate on a yearly calendar. This is next year's. :nws: given the artists in question.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I played some Milon's Secret Castle today because the AVGN bashed it and i was curious about some of the games he played. It actually seems alright, I don't think Milon controls that badly and shooting the bubbles feels kinda fun and it's not hard to hit enemies, it is annoying when you get trapped by an enemy but that's not a huge dealbreaker.

Game seems fine as long as you accept its premise, which is that you have to find secrets by hitting spots with your bubbles.

I also played Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde but yeah that one really is awful

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

AVGN's whole thing is bashing games and it's not meant to be taken seriously. A lot of the games he covers aren't really all that bad, but it's harder to make a comedy video out of "this game is mediocre and dated in many ways" than "everything about this game sucks, what were they thinking"

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
To further add(?) to this, I don't really mind Jekyll and Hyde and still have it, left over from when I was going to collect famously bad games on purpose. I've played it some but never have beaten it and its never pissed me off. Perhaps the trick is to only play it in short bursts?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The knockback is the biggest problem, I don't think the premise is flawed or confusing (you walk as far as you can before Hyde catches up), but the ways in which you can get hit by enemies really is pretty hosed up, the bombs still hurt you even after the explosion sprite disappears, even from really far away, and sometimes you get a combination of enemies that's almost impossible to pass by without getting knocked way back and it's really annoying.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Dungeon Keeper. Played it back in the day, but it bugs me that I never beat it, so it was time to remedy that.

Jerry Cotton posted:

e: I mean I could just make a male fighter but I'm committed to playing fantasy games as a female fighter called GAY SEX MAN. I don't know why I guess I'm stupid. It literally doesn't even matter in games where there's no dialogue referencing PCs' names.
OTOH, the portraits were gender-neutral so you could make a character with a male face with manly beard, big tits and a chainmail bikini.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Dungeon Keeper. Played it back in the day, but it bugs me that I never beat it, so it was time to remedy that.

OTOH, the portraits were gender-neutral so you could make a character with a male face with manly beard, big tits and a chainmail bikini.

I play games to be someone I'm not though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

As someone who has played through SOTN more times than I can count, I personally absolve you of the responsibility of looking at the Saturn SOTN port. Find YouTube clips of the poo poo but don’t waste effort for what amounts to very sparse difference for awful performance.

The Marie mode is pretty funny but yeah, the new area is absolutely not worth the effort (unless you already have Saturn Kai set up and can play whatever you want).

I started playing Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 this weekend. The skill system is really cool, the art style is a little rough, like they tried to adapt PS2-era fidelity to PS1 hardware, and I think the main character looks stupid. But as someone who's favorite DQ is V, a whole game of monster raising Pokemon-style is mega tantalizing, I can tell I'm gonna love this game already.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

In Training posted:

The Marie mode is pretty funny but yeah, the new area is absolutely not worth the effort (unless you already have Saturn Kai set up and can play whatever you want).

I started playing Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 this weekend. The skill system is really cool, the art style is a little rough, like they tried to adapt PS2-era fidelity to PS1 hardware, and I think the main character looks stupid. But as someone who's favorite DQ is V, a whole game of monster raising Pokemon-style is mega tantalizing, I can tell I'm gonna love this game already.

Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 is real drat neat and while I am not a fan of the DQ series on the whole, its Monsters subseries has always had my love.

As for what retro game I'm currently playing: Super Robot Wars F. it's been like a decade since I've played it last and I'm remembering all sorts of things! It is, like all SRW games, real good for a licensed game but as an SRW game it's not a super good one because it's old and janky and real cruel. Why yes, have me fight billions of enemies more or less immune to Beam weapons while all I have are units whose main weapon is a beam weapon.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I have finally after many years beaten Shinobi III. I will say that while I was simply bad at it as a child I didn't really come back and give an earnest try on it until earlier this year where I hosed up on the final stage and didn't want to start over (I think it reset to the start of the stage if you don't make it to the boss?). Funnily enough I didn't have any problems on the beginning of the airship this time, just the pits in the mechagodzilla stage and the final gauntlet before the last boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Started playing Way of the Samurai 1 on hard and man, I might be trying to bite more than I can chew. Did the tutorials too even.