Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
Grab the chest hidden behind Elvis' throne!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also I found out thanks to a streamer when it asks you to mash you can mash all the face buttons to make it easier on you.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

replaying dust: an elesyian tale. it's competent, the fighting and the platforming and everything works like it should, the metroid elements are super simple and heavily telegraphed, no innovation there unlike axiom verge. it's really really pretty, astal is the best comparison I can think of, where it's like playing a cartoon. the plot and voice work and dialog is all really hammy and 2010s monkeycheese but it's o.k.., there's a lot of empathy and pathos under the presentation. I remember the internet getting absolutely enraged by fidget when the game came out but I can't really remember why

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I finally figured out how to convert game saves to .raw format for use in a memcardproGC and so now I can play Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters using all of the unlocked characters and levels.

MechaGodzilla just keeps destroying Seattle. It rules.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

I finally figured out how to convert game saves to .raw format for use in a memcardproGC and so now I can play Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters using all of the unlocked characters and levels.

MechaGodzilla just keeps destroying Seattle. It rules.

Destroy All Monsters had cheat codes to unlock everything too. No need for the memory card bit.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Finishing Dragon Warrior put me in a Dragon Quest mood so I've been playing Dragon Quest III on SNES with an English patch. Feels like they didn't change any of the grind from the NES version. I'm nor hugely bothered by it because I tend to play a level or two (or sometimes three) below what's typically recommended for these games. It definitelt.makes them more interesting.

I do find it funny that you could just skip over doing anything about Noaniels, or just not bother to give the king of Romaly's crown back. So much of what would make sense to do next is just optional.

Started with a fighter instead of a warrior this time. Feels like fighter isn't really balanced enough in the NES version to be character you'd have with you the entire game, but you can min/max at character creation and with personality type to make anything more viable.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

chiasaur11 posted:

Destroy All Monsters had cheat codes to unlock everything too. No need for the memory card bit.

Do you have to enter them every time? That's my limiting factor because it makes it easier to hand off to my kids.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Do you have to enter them every time? That's my limiting factor because it makes it easier to hand off to my kids.

You did, yeah, so I can see the benefit. It's just nice to have options.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

After my previous bad experience with Killzone on PS2 I've gone back to it through Killzone Classic aka Killzone HD on PS3 and am enjoying it a fair bit more now I can actually see what I'm shooting. It still feels weird, the camera bob I can't turn off gives me a headache and like most of the HD remasters on PS3 the cutscenes look horrible since I assume they were just pre-rendered videos taken straight off the PS2 DVD. I'm actually seeing some of what people like about it though.

It's also always fun to look at a series on How Long To Beat and see all its games rocking single digit hour counts hell yeah baby.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.
I am at the end of Castlevania: Curse of Darkness and I am posting on the internet to say that the Isaac/Death fight is bullshit and also that I am bad at video games.

E: I beat it. I have no idea what is supposed to happen when Death summons that huge nuke thing but I just kept rolling forward and somehow survived it with a sliver of health and then just kept hitting him with the warhammer. Only have one secret boss and Dracula left I think?

caleb fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Feb 20, 2024

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

*the voice of labor's as tough as they come though, posting on a forum where everyone thinks he's boring*

replaying bastion, also a very pretty game. there really isn't anything to it other than the dynamic narration. the fighting's I guess competent, but not something you could sell a game on. I do like how bite sized the levels are, almost like bastion was meant to be on a handheld

*not even the calamity could stop his posting*

based64
Feb 15, 2024

:question:

based64 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 8, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I’ve been on an ExeDOS kick trying different games from the pst again.

Master of Orion II - I was sure I played this game as a kid but it turns out I don’t think I have. I can’t say I’m particularly thrilled and ultimately the genre has moved so far past there are both copies and evolutions of this game that are better.

A-Train - I remember this being incomprehensible as a kid; turns out it’s really simple and the train part is so rudimentary you can do surprisingly little for a game with the word “train” in the title.

Star Trek 25th Anniversary - just dipping into this, it starts you off with space combat that looks suspiciously similar to Wing Commander. Kind of stuck now on trying to Warp to the first system.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You're probably hitting the copy protection that wanted you to look at a star map in the manual. Luckily, it tends to get super cheap on GOG if you want to go legit.

EDIT - Or you could find one of those "defeat every DOS game copy protection" programs that made the rounds on BBSs. Not that... I'd ever have anything like that of course...

syntaxerr
Oct 2, 2003

Shantae... god help me.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Voice of Labor posted:

*the voice of labor's as tough as they come though, posting on a forum where everyone thinks he's boring*

replaying bastion, also a very pretty game. there really isn't anything to it other than the dynamic narration. the fighting's I guess competent, but not something you could sell a game on. I do like how bite sized the levels are, almost like bastion was meant to be on a handheld

*not even the calamity could stop his posting*

The dynamic narrative is the unique hook, but it's good looking, plays well, has a good variety of weapons with unique handling, the enemies have fun behaviors, the plot interacts well with the narrative, and in general it's a rock solid game. The fact it does one thing excellently is no reason to ignore that it does most things well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mokotow posted:

Master of Orion II - I was sure I played this game as a kid but it turns out I don’t think I have. I can’t say I’m particularly thrilled and ultimately the genre has moved so far past there are both copies and evolutions of this game that are better.
I know this is controversial, but MoO2 just made me want to go back to the first one. That was another game I got into and played nonstop for weeks.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Halloween Jack posted:

I know this is controversial, but MoO2 just made me want to go back to the first one. That was another game I got into and played nonstop for weeks.

Same. Moo1 is just really elegantly designed.

One the same wave length, tried playing X-Com Apocalypse again but stopped. It's a game I go back to every once and awhile but end up bouncing off about halfway through. My biggest problem with the game is that the turn based mode isn't great. If tb mode was tight and tense as the first game I would love it. The real time mode plays better but it just doesn't feel like an X-Com game. Makes me want to play the first one again.

Joe Chill fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 24, 2024

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

It was very ambitious and just like MoO3, it could have worked with a few years more in development. The idea of a living city with different factions is pretty great, though it was an extremely long shot, considering the previous mainline xcom games. Theytried a space sim and an FPS, too.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

trying to play genesis shadowrun and it's coming in fits and starts. I remember it getting more interesting as it progresses, I also remember save scumming it super hard and speeding up the frameskip during matrix runs. this mister fpga run is the closest I've come to playing through it on real hardware. I patched out tar traps so that will be one less reason to throw the controller. still not sure I have the patience for it, I'll see after I grind for enough nuyen to get a datajack

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

shadowrun's definitely a product of its time. computers are way more expensive than guns

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

After 27 years and multiple playthroughs, the ending of Klonoa: Door to Phantomile still absolutely wrecks me.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Beat Saturn Bomberman. It's pretty good. Once I got to the last world and the levels started getting bigger, and more elaborate with crazy traps I was really loving it.

Started up Bomberman 64 and this poo poo is hard!

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Yesssss
For some reason the very first tutorial level is one of the hardest to 100%. Don't feel bad moving on.

I usually try to get at least one card by exploration, and a 30 enemy killed card on the first run. Then I chip away at the hidden cards, maybe watch a YouTube if I'm stuck, and do the par time card last.

There are mechanics at okay that aren't obvious, like open windows, remote bomb bridges and ladders, and most diabolical, self knockout bomb bounce jumps

I feel like the puzzles were made by people playing the game as they made it, not some generic map designers

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Been playing the various PlayStation SSXes for the first time.

SSX: because I was sent the wrong disc by an eBay seller, I at first thought this was SSX 3 until I had a "wait, isn't it supposed to be open world?" realization. It's fun enough as an OTT arcadey snowboarding game, but feels thin compared to what follows.
SSX Tricky: more of the same, but quadruples down on the crazy side of things and is all the better for it. The rivalry system is a great addition, and I don't know why it got dropped in the later games. If not for jumps (and therefore tricks) being just slightly too hard to pull off reliably, would be my favorite of the series.
SSX 3: Instead, 3 takes the top spot by opening up the tracks into one giant interconnected mountain. It loses some of the lunacy of the first two's courses, but makes up for it with the fluidity of the controls and the sheer smoothness of the whole play experience.
SSX On Tour: the change in design ethos to the deliberately lame teenage doodles takes some getting used to, but the gameplay remains intact. Unfortunately, in trying to mix the formula up, On Tour maybe goes too far from the directness of the race/trick format by adding various other types of event that aren't as much fun. It doesn't feel as smooth as 3 either, some of the courses pushing the by-then-ageing PS2 too far. The create-your-own-character aspect was welcome, but needed more to it. Maybe the next game will go full Saints Row?
SSX (PS3): No, it won't. A next-gen reinvention that for some reason decides the wheel would work better if it were a different shape. Mostly dropping crazy courses for realistic-ish mountains, bringing in a metaplot of sorts, making the controls waaaay oversensitive (and changing how tricks are done) and dropping the instant reset function for a time rewind that doesn't affect the other racers so leaves you watching them vanish into the distance while you untumble out of yet another bottomless chasm you didn't know was coming, the 2012 version looks great but only plays... okay. If it had been my first SSX game I would probably have liked it more, but Tricky and 3 are pretty drat big snowshoes to fill, and this didn't manage it.

Edit: playing these made me look again at the PS2 Sled Storm (also an EA Big game), which I mentioned upthread, and it suffers all the more in comparison. Tricky and 3 both maintain a rock-solid frame rate so you can whip smoothly through even convoluted obstacles, while - like On Tour - SS gets more choppy at speed, which with the sheer amount of stuff being thrown at you makes it hard to keep on the track.

I do wonder why EA has abandoned all these franchises, though. You'd imagine that a new SSX game at least would be a no-brainer.

Edit edit: played a bit more of the PS3 game, and if they ever do make another SSX title, DO NOT BRING BACK CREVASSES, Jesus Christ. Or at least have auto-reset if you fall into somewhere you can't get out of. :argh:

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 29, 2024

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I haven't played the PS3/360 one but that lines up pretty nicely with my opinions on the series. I really need to go back to play On Tour again at some point because I feel I like it more than some people, even though the aesthetic is very much trying too hard.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum

Foobie posted:

That sounds sick as hell, I’ve been curious about that series for a while because almost every dreamcast racer I’ve played (save for metropolis racing or whatever that game is called) has been excellent. Are the dreamcast ones good too or should I just go straight to 0?

On densha de go, I’ve also wanted to get into those games forever because I love peripherals and I love Taito, but none of the games are in English. Are they pretty easy to play without knowing Japanese? I’ve wanted to check them out ever since I played power shovel, which loving owns. I want to get the power shovel peripheral but it’s like $200 from Japan.

Finally, I’ve been playing darkstalkers 3 a bunch lately. It’s like all I can think about lol. I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that makes me laugh this much except for like sega bass fishing. It’s also just a really fun fighting game, I’ve seen it compared to the alpha series but its so much more fast paced. Kinda like if mvc wasnt busted.

I imported the japanese Densha De Go 64 controller, bought an n64->usb adapter, and play the fan translated version of Densa De Go 64 and I absolutely love it. I can't speak as to if it's the "best" version of the game or not, but I love the look (n64 realism!) and the controller is rock solid. Plus, shipping from Japan has improved since the last time I tried many years ago. I got my Saturn Twin Sticks shipped here from Japan in about a week.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
Just beat Syndicate Wars for the first time. Played a lot as a kid but always with cheats and a trainer. Playing the OG Syndicate now. Wars is definitely the better game though it can be quite difficult at times.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Replaying the original Mega Drive Sonic games, finally up to Sonic 2 & Knuckles.

All well and good, got all the Chaos Emeralds by Aquatic Ruin Zone Act 2. Bit annoying that once you have 50 or more rings you can no longer glide or climb walls without becoming Super Knuckles, but the latter sure makes the game a breeze. Just finished Oil Ocean Zone (loving seahorses...)

Right, what's next?

gently caress that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I support this anti-Metropolis stance.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

The first time I got all the emeralds and became super Sonic, I was massively let down. His speed and controls become so drat floaty I found it almost unplayable in the last levels.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Dell_Zincht posted:

gently caress that.

And of course this loving zone has three acts instead of the standard two.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

genesis shadowrun isn't finely balanced and the progression isn't smooth but drat is it satisfying when you can finally buy your way into dominance over the thugs and the corporations and the cops and the internet.

it's one of those games where there are different systems kludged together and none of them really work that well individually or compositely, but with shadowrun they work just well enough that it's really gratifying to comprehend and break them. when you're doing well in the game it always feels like you're cheating

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

That's just capitalism set in the barren wasteland of Redmond.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012
Playing Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen on the DS for the first time.

I love the way this game looks - the DS's primitive 3D environments compliment the 2D sprite-based characters surprisingly well. Because the places you explore can't be too large on account of the limitations of the DS, the game's towns and villages are squat, compact, and each location acts as its own little puzzle box, filled with people to talk to and information to learn. It's a real contrast to the way the preceding three games kept expanding their cities outward.

The two screens create a degree of verticality that compliment this design choice really well. Objects, walls, and even people that appear on the bottom screen continue onto the top screen pretty seamlessly. Turning the camera and watching both screens sometimes reveals secrets/hidden doors and it makes exploring long, winding dungeons easier. I'd have been happy with one screen for navigation and the other for HUD/menus, as other DS/3DS RPGs handle it, so this is a real treat.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Coheed and Camembert posted:

Playing Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen on the DS for the first time.

Are you playing on a real DS/3DS? Did you use the party chat patch?

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I finished Syndicate yesterday and man... that game is not really that good. The pathfinding is garbage and any mission where you have to do anything in a building is frustrating because there's no way to see inside. The intelligence reports you can buy frequently talk about tactics like using one agent to cover another with a long range rifle or avoiding enemy agents but in reality almost all the missions boil down to taking 4 modded dudes with miniguns, putting them in panic mode, and then just sitting there while everybody on the map rushes you. Then when they all die from that because the enemy AI is brain dead, you just do whatever trivial task is left. I can only recall 3 or 4 missions that actually required meaningful tactics beyond that. 1/3 to 1/2 of the equipment is useless. I had researched everything before even getting to the americas so after that there was nothing to spend money on other than reloading my guns. When you finish the last region you get the same cinematic that plays after every mission except then it goes greyscale and the credits roll. That's it. Also the bright environments don't really fit the purported setting at all and every mission uses the same graphics except some have a slight palette shift. It's still got kind of a cool vibe sometimes though. I wish it was the game that the tactics suggestions imply.

I'm glad it did well enough to get a sequel though. Syndicate Wars is soooo much better.

Working on Incubation now. This one I actually finished back in the day but it's really good despite being butt-ugly.

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

jkq posted:

Are you playing on a real DS/3DS? Did you use the party chat patch?

Yes and yes. Turn based RPGs just hit different on portables.

I'm using the new (2024) patch and except for one visual error early on in the game (one character name became STRING## for one text box), it's run flawlessly so far.

I'd argue the patch is essential, it provides some much needed guidance for where to go next and really helps characterize your party members beyond just generic mage, different kind of generic mage, warrior, fighter, etc.

jkq
Nov 26, 2022

Coheed and Camembert posted:

I'm using the new (2024) patch and except for one visual error early on in the game (one character name became STRING## for one text box), it's run flawlessly so far.

https://github.com/scbroede/dq4-partychat-patcher right?

That's good to know. I was thinking of playing that soon-ish, depending on how burnt out I feel after DQ2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coheed and Camembert
Feb 11, 2012

jkq posted:

https://github.com/scbroede/dq4-partychat-patcher right?

That's good to know. I was thinking of playing that soon-ish, depending on how burnt out I feel after DQ2.

That's the one. After 20 hours of gameplay with party chat patched back in, it seems crazy that Square Enix ever removed it from the localization.