Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
inb4 King's Field jokes

Congratulations, pilot; from this point on, you are a Raven.

Armored Core (1997-2013) was a video game series by now famous Japanese developer FromSoftware for the Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation Portable, Playstation 3, and Xbox 360. Broadly speaking a third person shooter/role-playing game, Armored Core was a mecha game series focused on giant robots. Set in a series of dystopian cyberpunk futures dominated by massive, unaccountable powerful corporations, Armored Core generally centered on mercenary pilots called "Ravens." Hitting a sort of sweet spot between dopey mecha anime like Gundam or Macross and gritty western settings like Battletech, the settings in Armored Core generally favor quasi-realistic aesthetics combined with pilots flying in mechs that are just on this side of a little silly, but taken completely seriously. The games have a heavy focus on customization, with many, many parts to build your toy mecha with and then go blow up the baddies.

Armored Core generally would reboot its setting, keeping the core themes and concepts, about once every numbered sequel, with subtitled interquels interspersed between.

Generation 1 (Armored Core, Armored Core: Project Phantasma, and Armored Core: Master of Arena)

The first few Armored Core games were released for the Playstation 1 between 1997 and 1999, with Armored Core and Project Phantasma only seeing about a 5 month gap between release in 1997. This is the section of games I am least familiar with, but they would broadly set the stage for every following game.

In the far future, after a devastating, implicitly nuclear war, what remains of humanity moves underground into advanced, but cramped cities dominated by a handful of dangerous megacorporations. The megacorporations are broadly evenly matched, and to carry out tasks they deem too dangerous or difficult for their conventional forces, they dispatch Ravens. Ravens are a group of ace pilots, flying customized battle mecha built around the eponymous "armored core" in which the pilot sits, and which also effectively acts as a coffin, as "ACs" do not have ejection seats. Other smaller mecha called "MTs" exist, as well as conventional weapons like jet fighters or tanks. The player is not asked to consider the mechanics of how humanity lives in a city underground so large that they need fighter jets or have gigantic outdoor environments, and instead the game focuses more on the mood and atmosphere of corporate oppression, ravenous capitalism, and humanity as a disposable mass.

I have not had the opportunity to play the original PS1 games and imagine they are effectively impossible to find as hard copies in 2019. However, they are something you can fairly easily emulate, although most Armored Core games are poorly optimized on PC and require higher specifications than one might expect for a game that's almost as old as I am.

quote:

Project Phantasma or PP for short tells perhaps the most cohesive and tightly focused story of all the Armored Cores. It centers around the character of Sumika, who recruits the player Raven to help her stop the Doomsday Organization, represented by the so called "Irregular" Raven named Stinger, from developing and deploying a next-generation man/machine hybrid interface system codenamed Phantasma.

Sumika would become the template for the various Operator characters seen throughout the franchise, while Stinger would set the pattern for various rival Ravens and antagonists in subsequent games. PP also introduced the concept of the Arena to the franchise where you could fight AI-controlled Ravens up the ranking ladder to #1, or challenge your friends in 2-player mode. Before that, the original Armored Core only featured a dynamic leader board system that changed as you progressed through the plot.

Master of Arena, meanwhile, is functionally a soft-reboot of Armored Core 1. It tells a roughly similar story to AC1 just in a more straightforward manner. In MoA, the player Raven is seeking revenge against the #1 ranked Raven Hustler One, pilot of the infamous AC Nine-Ball, and effectively the mascot of the franchise. Now things are already amiss here as AC1 ended on a boss fight with Nine-Ball where you killed not just one, but two of him. So if you're a returning player to the franchise, you should already be on edge about how things are going to play out this time around. Master of Arena deals with themes of revenge, trust, paranoia, and artificial intelligence, and features quite a few plot twists that turn the franchise inside out and play with your expectations.

MoA is generally considered the most universally beloved of the Armored Cores--of any generation--largely due to its Arena mode. While Phantasma introduced the Arena, MoA was the game that perfected it. It was built around the Arena mode, and no other AC game thus far has weaved the Arena into its main story as thoroughly as MoA has. It was also the game that brought the Armored Core community together in the deep dark early days of the Internet of the late 90s/Early 00s through tournaments. The game also had an entire second disc dedicated to even more Arena modes, including a DIY Arena where you could build and train your own stable of AI-controlled ACs and then fight against them to see if you could beat them. This idea would go on to form the basis for Formula Front.

Courtesy of nine-gear crow.

Generation 2 (Armored Core 2, Armored Core: Another Age)

Armored Core 2, pictured above, is the first AC game I ever played, sometime in 2006-7 as a middle schooler. Released originally from 2000-2001, the second generation of games made the jump to Playstation 2 and are accordingly substantially better looking than their predecessors. They are also the only numbered sequel to explicitly not reboot the setting at the outset. Continuing the storylines of the first round of games, AC2 picks up slightly less than a century later. Humanity has begun returning to the surface, and established an Earth Government which has begun trying to reign in the corporations. To escape, the corporations have carried out extensive terraforming projects on Mars in secret, and once it's made public, there is a rush of new colonists to the other planet. The frontier, colonialism, and cowboy motifs are strong in AC2, as well as a continuing tradition of cyberpunk aesthetics and themes. AC2 pretty much still holds up, and I quite enjoyed it when I came back to it a few months ago.

Generation 3 (Armored Core 3, Armored Core: Silent Line, Armored Core: Nexus, Armored Core: Nine Breaker, Armored Core: Formula Front, Armored Core: Last Raven)

The third generation of Armored Core games represents the first hard reboot of the setting of the series. Humanity is back underground, and now there is a mysterious AI named "Dove" (The Controller in the English dub) that is running things behind the scenes in the human megacity of Layered. The third generation of AC games ran for by far the longest and saw the most releases by FromSoft, running from 2002-2005. Armored Core: Silent Line is generally the best regarded of all the sequels for competitive multiplayer among the western fanbase, partly due to the western fanbase's preference for 1 on 1 duels or small team 2 on 2 or 3 on 3 gameplay. Generally speaking, you could put a break in between Silent Line and Nexus, because Silent Line was the last of the games to really strictly follow the formula of the original. Nexus included revamped controls, substantially reduced the power of the player relative to their AI opponents, and included remasters of AC1 through Another Age in addition to a full new game. Last Raven, meanwhile, is infamous for its difficulty and multiple endings, and is probably the one I would least recommend to a beginner to start out with. Armored Core 3 through Last Raven all carry on a unified storyline and setting, across a fairly long timespan, and represents probably the longest single storyline From has told in the AC series.

Formula Front is a sort of gimmick side game, released for the PSP. A cross between Football Manager and Armored Core, FF is set around the conceit of you as the AI designer for a professional AC battle team participating in a civic arena for sport and entertainment. You build AI routines and attempt to create an AI that can pilot an AC successfully using fairly rudimentary tools. It's fairly difficult, both due to the limitations of the tools and also because the enemy AI has access to cheats that the player does not. In the North American release of this game, you can pilot the AC yourself, and that's generally much easier than trying to make a functional AI, but also a bit of a cop out.

Armored Core 3, Silent Line and Last Raven saw PSP re-releases as well, which have substantially lower system requirements for emulation if your computer cannot play the PS2 versions. They also contain some minor additional content, in the form of additional parts from older games, but this is mostly extraneous. Unfortunately, no PSP port of Nexus ever happened, so you have to emulate the real version of that one and it will chug unless your computer is strong. The emulated version of the PSP versions can also be a pain to get working with a controller, due to fewer buttons you can map and conflicts when you map certain buttons.

There was also Nine Breaker, a gimmick-y game made mostly of challenge arenas released as an interim game between Nexus and Last Raven. It's not very well regarded and is safely skippable unless you just really are dedicated to completionism.

Also released around this period was Metal Wolf Chaos, a game that is not set in any AC universe or related to them explicitly but is often grouped in with them and recently was released to Steam via Devolver Digital. I haven't played this and have no interest in it but it exists if you're into that kind of thing. It's a parody version of America where an evil general launches a coup, and you, Generic President Man, must save the day with your big dumb mecha painted in American flags.

This marks the end of the games that are officially "retro" per the rules of the forum, but gently caress you if you think I'm not gonna talk about the other ones because they own.

Generation 4 (Armored Core 4, Armored Core For Answer)

Armored Core 4 was one of the earliest titles for the seventh generation of consoles, and unusually for the series, launched on both Playstation 3 and Xbox 360 from 2006-2008. It also represents a dramatic aesthetic departure from the series, with a far darker and bleaker tone, an emphasis on environmental decay as well as the horrors of capitalism and a cyberpunk western future. Armored cores in this version of the game, stylized as "NEXTs," were far larger, far faster, and far more angular, looking more like EVAs than the toy-esque mecha of previous games. In this version of the setting, the game is set in the immediate aftermath of the corporations overthrowing national governments and instituting capitalist martial law. They accomplished this through the use of advanced, experimental particle shield technology, allowing only 26 NEXT pilots to obliterate the armies of nations as well as almost every active Raven. However, the corporations are unable to sustain their "Pax Economica" without stabbing each other in the back, and the "Kojima particles" used to power NEXTs are deeply radioactive, making every NEXT both environmentally deadly as well as literally deadly.

Armored Core 4 and to a lesser extent For Answer were infamously poorly translated, the former by SEGA and the latter by Ubisoft, so English language versions will be incoherent and difficult to understand in terms of their plot. Which is a shame, because they have pretty good stories. They were also the first involvement of one Hidetaka Miyazaki in a FromSoftware project, who would go on to become very famous for directing a certain other popular game in 2011.

From Answer is probably my favorite game of the series, and is the most fun to dick around in, allowing you to fly around forever and go super fast. The games are probably available at used game shops for 360 (they were less popular on PS3 in the west, is my understanding) but tragically they are not backwards compatible on Xbox One or Playstation 4 to my knowledge, nor is it currently possible to emulate them.

The multiplayer existed for these games online, but it was not very functional, suffering from extreme lag due to players being able to move faster than the speed of sound within the game's engine. I do not think it is still functional.

Another game released by FromSoftware in this period was Chromehounds, a multiplayer-only game focused on similar themes as AC but built around slower, more tank-like mecha. It is no longer online, and never got a sequel, which is really sad, but it looks extremely sick. I do not think it is currently playable in any form, but there may be some kind of custom server around.

Generation 5 (Armored Core 5, Armored Core: Verdict Day)

Armored Core 5 is sort of the red-headed stepchild of the series among the western fanbase. Released from 2012-2013, after FromSoft got famous for their other work and not directed by Miyazaki, Armored Core 5 was another reboot for the series. Shifting away from the cyberpunk western aesthetics of the fourth generation, the fifth generation of games has an aesthetic more in common with something like military briefings combined with Iraq War reporting. It's an interesting aesthetic that suffers from the game not being very graphically impressive, as it came out at the end of the 360/PS3's lifespan and clearly did not have a very big budget or developmental focus. AC5 does not have a very interesting story, except that it's secretly not a reboot and is actually still set in the far future of the AC4 universe, and was clearly more focused on online multiplayer. That multiplayer is no longer online to my knowledge, and was not popular in the west, but was overwhelmingly popular in Japan, who enjoyed the competitive-focused 5v5 objective-oriented gameplay. AC5 may have done better in a post-Overwatch world, but unfortunately saw little play in the west and mostly is forgotten today. It's a shame, because it has a lot of cool ideas, such as making boost a toggle on the ground, and allowing the player to bounce between walls.

AC5, like AC4, is not backwards compatible to my knowledge on either Xbox One or Playstation 4, and cannot be emulated at this time. I do not think there's any good way to play the multiplayer anymore either.

So, with all those :words: out of the way, this is now The Armored Core Appreciation Station. :toot:

Please let me know if I've made any errors in my history of the games.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Reserving this post for Let's Plays!

If you have done a Let's Play for an Armored Core game that is officially on the Something Awful forums, post in the thread or PM me and I will link it here. I will not do so unless asked, in case people don't want it posted here for some reason.

ArclightBorealis posted:

A new sub forum for retro game opens up, and shortly afterward an AC appreciation thread is made. It's like the best birthday gift I could ask for.

Also, I actually did Let's Plays for the 1st Gen Armored Core quite a few years back (even being the first LPs I did on this site). They're complete, and already up on the LP Archive if you want to add them to the post, OP.

nine-gear crow posted:

ACES CURE PLANES also did LPs of Armored Core 2 and Another Age. A couple of randos also did LPs of 4 and 5, but they're buried in the LP forum now, so good luck finding them.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Oct 21, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I've been hoping FromSoft would make a new Armored Core game, as it is right now the next best thing is Daemon X Machina for the Nintendo Switch. Amored Core V is the only game in the series i've played and it was fun but brutally loving hard.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I've been hoping FromSoft would make a new Armored Core game, as it is right now the next best thing is Daemon X Machina for the Nintendo Switch. Amored Core V is the only game in the series i've played and it was fun but brutally loving hard.
I remember someone asking a FromSoft veteran who was doing press for the Metal Wolf Chaos remaster...

Masanori Takeuchi posted:

It's not like we stopped making mech games ... We didn't intentionally say that we were going to focus on the Souls games. Mech games and dark fantasy games are the two main pillars of From Software, but the game development cycle has become so long. We're trying to readjust all our limited resources. So in an ideal world we'd keep pumping out both games, but that's just the situation.

But you should very strongly say you want another mech game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Kins posted:

I remember someone asking a FromSoft veteran who was doing press for the Metal Wolf Chaos remaster...

I kinda figured that was the case. For now though Daemon X Machina is essentially the Armored Core sequel I wanted but that game will likely never get a sequel because I don't think anyone bought it.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I said come in! posted:

I kinda figured that was the case. For now though Daemon X Machina is essentially the Armored Core sequel I wanted but that game will likely never get a sequel because I don't think anyone bought it.

I may include this in the OP. I am interested in it but it's unfortunately on the Switch and the Switch, even with the pro controller, has tiny baby controls that are a pain to play with. I wish it had come out on PC too.

There are some other projects that are trying to take on the spiritual successor roll but a lot of them are either a technical mess or don't really understand what it is that made Armored Core good, either from a storytelling or gameplay perspective.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Dear From Software, please make a new Armored Core game and please don't make it suck like V and Verdict Day did.

Thank you.

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
A new sub forum for retro game opens up, and shortly afterward an AC appreciation thread is made. It's like the best birthday gift I could ask for.

Also, I actually did Let's Plays for the 1st Gen Armored Core quite a few years back (even being the first LPs I did on this site). They're complete, and already up on the LP Archive if you want to add them to the post, OP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ArclightBorealis posted:

ACES CURE PLANES also did LPs of Armored Core 2 and Another Age. A couple of randos also did LPs of 4 and 5, but they're buried in the LP forum now, so good luck finding them.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I feel like some dark force summoned me here. Anyways, I could literally talk forever about AC, and god knows I would, 3AM be damned, but I feel like someone needs to gush about Kota Hoshino at least a little bit. His growth as he's produced music for the series has been amazing to watch, as he experimented by just throwing crazy poo poo at the wall. Starting out super electronic, then going rockier, then going more classical, dipping into some straight up noisecore, and then his amazing shift to writing the best, craziest lyrics. And now that he's hit his final form in FreQuency, he's taken to churning out remixes like a madman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55fPbOwmGYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vRP48rgdqU

Also, I will die on the hill that the series lost something in its transition to the PS3. It just kinda stopped feeling like controlling a giant robot past a point, and the size of the environments increased so drastically that, while the game had you going a fair bit faster on paper, it felt much slower just by virtue of everything being so open. Plus there's so many fun advanced maneuvers that died off with the whole new way movement, FCSes, and energy worked that it really never felt right.

I'm still really waiting for something that has the feel of classic Armored Core, with the full range of boost hopping, FCS manipulating, OB stepping goodness.

Oh, right, also canon timelines be damned, every game is in the same timeline, in this TED Talk I'll be discussing the Great Destruction and... (1/326)

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

Please let me know if I've made any errors in my history of the games.

I've played the PS1 games extensively so I can help you fill in the gaps with Project Phantasma and Master of Arena:

Project Phantasma posted:

Project Phantasma or PP for short tells perhaps the most cohesive and tightly focused story of all the Armored Cores. It centers around the character of Sumika, who recruits the player Raven to help her stop the Doomsday Organization, represented by the so called "Irregular" Raven named Stinger, from developing and deploying a next-generation man/machine hybrid interface system codenamed Phantasma.

Sumika would become the template for the various Operator characters seen throughout the franchise, while Stinger would set the pattern for various rival Ravens and antagonists in subsequent games. PP also introduced the concept of the Arena to the franchise where you could fight AI-controlled Ravens up the ranking ladder to #1, or challenge your friends in 2-player mode. Before that, the original Armored Core only featured a dynamic leader board system that changed as you progressed through the plot.

Master of Arena posted:

Master of Arena, meanwhile, is functionally a soft-reboot of Armored Core 1. It tells a roughly similar story to AC1 just in a more straightforward manner. In MoA, the player Raven is seeking revenge against the #1 ranked Raven Hustler One, pilot of the infamous AC Nine-Ball, and effectively the mascot of the franchise. Now things are already amiss here as AC1 ended on a boss fight with Nine-Ball where you killed not just one, but two of him. So if you're a returning player to the franchise, you should already be on edge about how things are going to play out this time around. Master of Arena deals with themes of revenge, trust, paranoia, and artificial intelligence, and features quite a few plot twists that turn the franchise inside out and play with your expectations.

MoA is generally considered the most universally beloved of the Armored Cores--of any generation--largely due to its Arena mode. While Phantasma introduced the Arena, MoA was the game that perfected it. It was built around the Arena mode, and no other AC game thus far has weaved the Arena into its main story as thoroughly as MoA has. It was also the game that brought the Armored Core community together in the deep dark early days of the Internet of the late 90s/Early 00s through tournaments. The game also had an entire second disc dedicated to even more Arena modes, including a DIY Arena where you could build and train your own stable of AI-controlled ACs and then fight against them to see if you could beat them. This idea would go on to form the basis for Formula Front.

Also speaking of Formula Front, it got a very limited PS2 release in Japan only.

Finding a PS2 copy of Formula Front in the wild is probably rarer than than finding hard copies of AC1/PP/MOA.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Oct 21, 2019

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I feel like some dark force summoned me here. Anyways, I could literally talk forever about AC, and god knows I would, 3AM be damned, but I feel like someone needs to gush about Kota Hoshino at least a little bit. His growth as he's produced music for the series has been amazing to watch, as he experimented by just throwing crazy poo poo at the wall. Starting out super electronic, then going rockier, then going more classical, dipping into some straight up noisecore, and then his amazing shift to writing the best, craziest lyrics. And now that he's hit his final form in FreQuency, he's taken to churning out remixes like a madman.

[...]

Also, I will die on the hill that the series lost something in its transition to the PS3. It just kinda stopped feeling like controlling a giant robot past a point, and the size of the environments increased so drastically that, while the game had you going a fair bit faster on paper, it felt much slower just by virtue of everything being so open. Plus there's so many fun advanced maneuvers that died off with the whole new way movement, FCSes, and energy worked that it really never felt right.

I'm still really waiting for something that has the feel of classic Armored Core, with the full range of boost hopping, FCS manipulating, OB stepping goodness.

Oh, right, also canon timelines be damned, every game is in the same timeline, in this TED Talk I'll be discussing the Great Destruction and... (1/326)

I really never enjoyed the tiny lockbox/boost hop centric gameplay of the old ones as much as the freedom of movement that 4/FA gave you, but I liked the compromise they tried to reach in 5 with auto boosting on the ground combined with wall bouncing. 5's big problem is that it has poor environment design, so in many cases the wall bouncing does nothing, like when they expect you to fight in an open desert field a lot of the time.

I've now gotten the chance to play emulated versions of the old games and boost hopping/lockbox fuckery feels much less annoying on a mouse/keyboard, but it would be much better if it was native support and not the janky "bind the camera control buttons to mouse scroll" set up you have to do now.

4/FA have genuinely gorgeous music and I don't think any FromSoft game has truly come close to matching them except Bloodborne. It's such an eclectic mix of music (jazz!) and yet it all flows so well.

Vitamin Me
Mar 30, 2007

Armored Core 2 was great..I have fond memories of destroying every enemy in the arena with a flying, missiles-only mecha. It was loaded with an absurd amount of missiles, such a great spectacle to unleash em all at once

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I always wanted to play one of these games back in the day when stuff like demos would appear and the articles I'd see in Tips & Tricks since they had a section dedicated to the game every month where people would share their designs and stuff, but there always seemed like there was another game in the series coming so I could never actually convince myself to outright buy one. I feel like I've touched a demo for every generation but the only one I owned was V from some PSN sale and I never got into it for whatever reason (probably just didn't make the time for it).

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

project phantasma was my first armored core game and still my favorite, i pop it in every now and then and remember how goddamn terrible 3d game controls were back then have a good time for an hour or two. i played a good deal of 2 as well but kinda fell off the bandwagon after that, i did get 3 as well but played all of like 1 level.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hot take, but actually instead of a Armored Core game, I would rather have a sequel to Chromehounds.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nine-gear crow posted:

Also speaking of Formula Front, it got a very limited PS2 release in Japan only.

Finding a PS2 copy of Formula Front in the wild is probably rarer than than finding hard copies of AC1/PP/MOA.

This was also on the PSP in America!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I recently played through the entirety of AC1 for the hell of it and it was still a pretty fun experience. Because of how cumbersome and clunky it is I gravitated more towards heavier AC parts to better suit the kit I had which ended up being your usual big lumbering robot with a Karasawa and some missiles. It's a good thing I did too, because otherwise I might not have appreciated the fact that Daemon x Machina did a total remake of 1's final stage as a side-mission, even subtitled "Nine Ball"!

AC6 might be a long, long time away but at least the new tracks in the 20th Anniversary Box were a nice tease and DxM helps ease the pain a little. We've still got a long way to go...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tC7Cmn68GSA

ArclightBorealis
May 28, 2014

You are HUGE!
That means you have HUGE ESSENCE!

RIP AND TEAR YOUR ESSENCE!!
So looking back I realize it's almost been two years since I've completed my life long quest since 2009 to play through every mainline Armored Core game at least once (not counting Formula Front or the PSP ports). I've been wanting to find some means to give my thoughts on each game but don't have the time to devote to writing such a large essay (or rather an essay that isn't obscenely long beyond reason) or making an analysis video of me talking to dead air. So have a list instead. I'd normally group these games based by generation since the quality is largely determined by the fundamental mechanics of each gen, but some games do manage to exceed in spite of those things due to certain features.

1. Armored Core Silent Line: Definitely on the side of many that finds this to be the best of the series, definitely the high point of the entire 3rd generation. A lot of its more unique features I still appreciate, even if some of them aren't as vital to the whole experience (An actual cockpit mode is a neat novelty, and the organic AI training program is cool). But for me, SL sets the gold standard for what mission design in the AC series should be. Many of the missions throw a multitude of surprises at you that aren't accounted for in the briefings, and they convey a sense of greater stakes in the overall conflict.

2. Armored Core Last Raven: The second best, though depending on what day it is I might put this at #1 for personal favorite. It's hard as hell, no two ways about it. But it refines a lot of the mechanics introduced in Nexus to their best while adding new things of its own like booster acceleration stats and locational damage on your AC. But I think what made it so memorable to me is the plot and atmosphere. As the final chapter in the storyline spanning the entire 3rd generation, it's nothing short of tense, the world bracing for one final war between the Ravens and mega corporation, on top of a race of self evolving machines called the Pulverizers. Everything takes place in the span of 24 hours, you get a by hour update on where things are at in the world, and it is the one game to have the most intensely terrifying end bosses of the series, be they Pulverizers or Ravens that just really, REALLY want you dead. It's not for beginners, but if you played through this game after besting all the ones before it, it provides a sense of satisfaction like no other.

3. Armored Core Master of Arena: A game that used to be #1 for me years and years ago, but is now relegated to the bottom of the top 3. It still holds up magnificently as a cap stone for the first generation of AC, with a ton of Arena challenges and cementing the legacy of everyone's "favorite" red and black mech, Nine-Ball. It's definitely got the least regular missions out of all the PS1 games, but that's made up for by the general quality of them. But for real, Nine-Ball cannot be stated enough. It was already tough fighting two of them back at the end of AC1, but the final battle with its ultimate form set a standard by which future AC end bosses would be based on. Very few would be able to feel as overpowering and intense as Nine-Ball Seraph would.

4. Armored Core 3: This game is fairly close in quality to Silent Line (makes sense, considering its the direct predecessor), though lacking in a ton of unique features, what it does do is provide the foundation for what the story of the 3rd generation games would be. As it was the start of a new continuity, a lot of familiar concepts that were seen in AC1 were present. But the way the game subtly turned them around on you made it clear that the game was not going to end in the exact same way as its predecessors. Great setting, music, mission design, part variety, technical performance, all around if people aren't interested in starting at the very beginning of the series then AC3 is like the second best place to start.

5. Armored Core Verdict Day: I'm more positive on 5th generation than most people are, and Verdict Day shows the potential that was established in V being fully realized. The game has a better paced and structured campaign than ACV did, but in addition the game provided the most in depth AI customization feature to date, allowing you to invest in and create UNACs that can accompany you on missions in place of human allies in co op or competitive. The means of unlocking parts via its ranking system I found pretty ingenious as it was based around on completing each mission with the best ranking and all objectives, rather than simply grinding out an EXP meter. And Hardcore Mode gave the series back something it had somewhat lost near the end of the PS2 days, and that was making it so that you had to keep playing each mission that comes along, regardless of how much money you made or lost with each one. The core gameplay may not feel like classic AC, but the amount of thought and care put into it is evident.

6. Armored Core Nexus: The first game of the series to introduce a control scheme with dual analog support, and it's a change I still appreciated even after becoming accustomed to the old control scheme. That said, the game is very much stuck in the middle for me, though I'm generally on the side that was welcome to a lot of the changes made with Nexus. Solid mission design, and an entire second disc comprising of remakes of 1st gen AC missions was a great trip down memory lane (you could even get parts based on Stinger's AC from Project Phantasma). That said, there is definitely a sense with some of the mechanical change and re balancing that there needed to be more time figuring out how to make them work their best, something that was eventually solved by the time of Last Raven.

7. Armored Core: The game that started it all. It may not have the features that even the other PS1 games have, but it's still one of the best entry points to go with for the series. The longest campaign of all the PS1 games, its focus was put on you influencing the war between the two mega corps Chrome and Murakumo Millennium, with different missions taking place based on whose side you end up helping. It's definitely tough if you're going in not prepared for how this game controls or how its systems work (hell, the same applies for all the other games), but considering this is the least mechanically complex of the classic AC games, the part where I say this is one of the best entry points still rings true.

8. Armored Core Project Phantasma: This one is still pretty fun, though I feel it makes sense to say this is probably the weakest of the 1st gen games. It introduced quite a number of concepts that would be continued on in future games, like the emphasis on a female operator assisting you during missions, and the Arena mode. However, with those introductions, a lot of exploiting the game's progression was thrown into the mix. The game's Arena mode let you fight against 49 unique ACs one by one, but there was nothing to gate your progress aside from skill. Meaning you could simply due the Arena before ever touching the campaign, getting an obscene amount of credits, and unlocking some delightfully broken weapons that would get heavily toned down in Master of Arena. It is still worth playing as part of the 1st generation, but I would suggest going all the way and going straight to MoA once you've gotten absolutely everything you can out of PP.

9. Armored Core V: ACV establishes a lot of solid mecha design and mechanics that actually take their inspiration from an earlier From Soft title called Metal Wolf Chaos. The small size, weapon conveyor belts, and limited vertical mobility are the big ones, but it even adds things like more complex boosting controls and wall jumping into the mix, along with three defense types to create a more indepth dynamic on which weapons to bring for each sortie. However, the game's biggest failing is its campaign structure. The actual story itself is quite engaging, with one of the most gleefully psychotic antagonists featured in the series (especially in Japanese, seriously, just find some footage on Nico Nico or something of Keiji Fujiwara hamming it up like no other), but the missions themselves are far too few. Following that are the Order missions, small side ops of which there are 88 of and they are far too samey for their own good. Combined with the multiplayer focus, it's understandable why some of the design decisions turned off many, but that's ignoring a lot of the thought put into the mechanics and gameplay, and Verdict Day essentially fixing a lot of those lingering problems.

10. Armored Core Ninebreaker: Yes, I liked the game that was essentially one large training mode. You fight an updated Nine-Ball at the end, you get his head, and you do get a sense near the end that you have refined your AC skills even if you were confident in them after playing all the previous games.

11. Armored Core 2: 2nd generation AC as a whole is something that I've found myself feeling less fond of over time due to all the other games in the series. A lot of the AC 1 fundamentals are still in 2, but the new mechanics combined with sloppy technical performance leaves a game that I felt was noticeably slower and more sluggish than its predecessors. That said, AC 2 is the only game in the series to take place outside of Earth, and setting the events on Mars made things feel fresh enough. It also was the game that established the term Ninebreaker in regards to Ravens of exceptional skill (those strong enough to become #1 in the Arena/defeat Nine-Ball), and even the antagonist Leos Klein was actually the protagonist of Master of Arena. It's an interesting plot in the context of the 1st generation timeline, but it's not the best in regards to playability.

12. Armored Core For Answer: 4th generation AC on the whole is something I greatly dislike, though For Answer is considerably better than AC4 I don't find it strong enough to get even into the top 10. Probably the most positive aspects I can highlight are the fight with Spirit of Motherwill, and the entirety of the third ending in which you commit genocide on the human race. Most AC games generally have the Great Destruction or similar calamity take place in the events prior to them. In this case, you are the Great Destruction. Also White Glint's only cool aspect is that it was designed by Shoji Kawamori, the fight itself is not nearly as tough as everyone in universe would lead you to believe.

13. Armored Core 2 Another Age: The one AC game in which I played through it once and have felt no desire to do another full playthrough. Despite having multiple attempts. It still carries on the same mechanics and technical performance of AC2, but the lack of features like mail or the Arena leaves you with 100 missions that don't provide much of an interesting plot or development for most of it. The most exciting thing that can be said is that there's a mission where you help a terrorist hijack a space elevator, and then you accept a mission from the government asking you to dispose of said terrorist, not knowing you helped him in the first place. Gotta love playing both sides.

14. Armored Core 4: A game I feel confident in calling the absolute worst of the series, not counting the gimped PSP ports of 3, SL, and LR. I went into this and For Answer expecting a game that, while surely not AC like, is probably good enough in its own right. With 4 in particular, I did not get that feeling. The stripping of all the mechanics and complexity that were built up through Last Raven still hurt me the hardest, and so many of the missions devolved into carrying the most powerful one shot weapons while tuning your EN Output to max to be the ultimate glass cannon, ensuring S ranks almost every time. Not to mention the amount of awful bloom and post processing effects smeared all over the screen because of it being the PS3/360. The few things that I considered positives in For Answer this game still did not have. It and For Answer both are not Armored Core games, but even if taken on their own terms, I feel there have been plenty of mecha games based around zipping at high speeds that were better put together and thought out than this.

Man, I really cannot think of another series with this many games that I've felt compelled to go through them all. In order, no less.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Man what magazine uses to have a dedicated page in the back to showcase reader AC designs? That poo poo was so dope.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Tips & Tricks

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
That's the one. I hope this series comes back, it was always so fun. I suppose there isn't a great way to play these anymore without finding a ps2 and a copy.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AcidRonin posted:

That's the one. I hope this series comes back, it was always so fun. I suppose there isn't a great way to play these anymore without finding a ps2 and a copy.

I believe it's :filez: to give you specific instructions on how to do so, although Google is your friend. But it is very easy to emulate the PS1-2 era games, they just have comparatively high system requirements for their age.

I don't even think the original publisher for the older games is still in business tbh and none of the games are still in active circulation as digital downloads to my knowledge. Maybe they're still available on the Microsoft/Playstation stores for the 4/5 gen games.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I never owned a Playstation but one of my friends did and had Armored Core, so my memories of AC are mostly of playing 1v1 multiplayer against him (and usually getting my rear end kicked lol) back in the late 90s. I knew there were sequels but didn't realize the series was as big as this. Thanks for posting the thread!

RunawayPantleg
Jul 2, 2007

hhhehehe
I remember playing so much AC2, AC2:AA, and AC3 with my best friend during middle school. We both just happened to get AC2 separately around the same time and ended up in this spiraling arms race where we would play through some of the campaign to get new unlocks, spend hours redoing our mechs, and then meet up about once a week to see what we had come up with. Inevitably the conflict would escalate each session when we trotted out the new monstrosity that the other would have to figure out how to deal with next week. He ended up with lumbering grenade launcher bullet sponges and I ended up with fast, shotgun-wielding sword swinging flying speed demons. I remember having a lot of fun agonizing over stripping as much weight out of my mech while maximizing mobility and power usage and taking endless trips to the test range to see what each new piece of equipment might let me get away with next.

Good thread OP

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I liked the first AC a lot, but something about 2 didn't click with me the same way and I never bothered trying the others. Then years later I tried For Answer and wondered why this series was even still alive.

Maybe someday I'll go back and give them another shot but really AC1 is all I cared for.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Freakazoid_ posted:

I liked the first AC a lot, but something about 2 didn't click with me the same way and I never bothered trying the others. Then years later I tried For Answer and wondered why this series was even still alive.

Maybe someday I'll go back and give them another shot but really AC1 is all I cared for.

A fair assessment. The PS1 games are kind of like comfort food at this point in comparison to everything that came after them. Another Age is kind of tedious and the 3-series gets kind of stupid hard for how much it evolves the franchise, so they are an acquired taste.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I said come in! posted:

Hot take, but actually instead of a Armored Core game, I would rather have a sequel to Chromehounds.

Yes please

Maybe give it an actual campaign though for when the servers inevitably get shut down

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Cool thread! I've played nearly all of the games, and my favourites are the ps1 originals and AC4A. There's something about the aesthetic and gameplay of AC4A I find incredibly replayable. The level where you're taking down the colony ships on the 'bad' story branch was pretty powerful. 4A and the Skate series are the only reason I still have a 360.

Playing the multiplayer as a dual machine gun or sniper NEXT against all the japanese blade users is one of my favourite late 2000s gaming memories lol.

Glad there has been lots of talk of the music, the mix of dnb/acid/techno with jazz/classical/rock is pretty unique in videogames I think. Some of my favourites:

Scrambling Film from Silent Line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8ctLtUlgIE
Morning, Lemontea also from Silent Line https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWgFqsq6rOY
Insurance Money from the original https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkMgZxsJe9E

You can't really go wrong with the entire 4A soundtrack, its eclectic and great.
The epic title track, Someone is Always Moving on the Surface https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBXkRz4ZVFI
Some great examples of the noiserock meets electronica thing
Dragon Dive https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-XDEYoIBNc
Cosmos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kLPPUQyLNA
Some straight up club bangers, Test Pattern https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-kHAdFD0kI
and Afterimage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YtDaOUFO3g

Kota has done some really great things - if you like the weirder stuff check out the Evergrace OST: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgJbPYDVgwM. It's so unique that Oneohtrix Point Never pretty much ripped it off for his Age Of album 20 years later - purposefully or not I couldn't tell you lol.

field balm fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Oct 24, 2019

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The final mission of the original AC loving tripped me out as a 12 year old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVN30DnhDXI

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Also I just remembered the human plus enhancements which were basically soft cheats if you suck at the game or if you know about them and decided to exploit them to cheese the game.

code:
Reach -50,000 credits 1st time  1- Long range grid radar with or with out radar equipped head or back radar.
Reach -50,000 credits 2nd time.	2- Missile and elevation indicators added to radar.
Reach -50,000 credits 3rd time.	3- Slight increase in turning speed.
Reach -50,000 credits 4th time.	4- Slight increase in moving speed.
Reach -50,000 credits 5th time.	5- Increased Energy capacity.
Reach -50,000 credits 6th time.	6- Reduced booster consumption.
Reach -50,000 credits 7th time.	7- Fire back weapon while moving.
Reach -50,000 credits 8th time	8- Fire energy wave from laser blade when dashing forward.
The first 6 enhancements are basically quality of life upgrades, but firing the back weapon while walking with humanoid and reverse-joint legs and adding the laser sword beam were game changing.
PP and MOA allowed transferring of saves from the base AC game. They didn't restrict importing saves that were human plus enhanced either.

bradzilla fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 24, 2019

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Great thread, I was just reading up on some AC plot stuff like assault cells in For Answer and now I stumble upon this, nice. I love the FromSoftware style of making a plot and leaving details for the players to find and figure out. A very cool thing that I found out about not too long ago was that in For Answer, in one of the mission to defend the cradles, you can actually fly up in the sky and see the Assault Cells up there, which will start shooting down and your operator will comment on it. That's such a cool detail that I never found out about on my own.

As for emulation, I've tried out For Answer in RPCS3 and Xenia (PS3 and 360 emulators) and they're running pretty well, especially in RPCS3, though both emulators have the same problem with buggy NEXT textures. It was commented on in one of RPCS3 blog updates and it gives me hope that it will be fixed soon. Game is very playable now if you have a decent PC, previously you had a bug where you would fall into the void during the start of the game in RPCS3 but that got fixed.

Someone should make LPs of the rest of the series. 3rd gen never got covered right?

I bought Metal Wolf Chaos XD in the hopes that it would open the chance for AC ports on PC but nothing yet :negative:

ArclightBorealis posted:

Man, I really cannot think of another series with this many games that I've felt compelled to go through them all. In order, no less.

Once I played For Answer for the first time I thought it was so sick that I felt bad for not knowing about the franchise so I did exactly that. I still replay the games very frequently.

Here's a cover of Shining from AC Nexus that I like a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDqRVZqlVcQ

RunawayPantleg
Jul 2, 2007

hhhehehe
Hey can anybody comment on multiplayer in the early AC titles up to like the end of the PS2 era? I know how my friends and I played it but that was kinda before I was heavily online so I'm curious what others' experiences were at the time. Was there any kind of meta or cheap strats or like, understood "best" ways to play the game in terms of strategy and loadout types?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

RunawayPantleg posted:

Hey can anybody comment on multiplayer in the early AC titles up to like the end of the PS2 era? I know how my friends and I played it but that was kinda before I was heavily online so I'm curious what others' experiences were at the time. Was there any kind of meta or cheap strats or like, understood "best" ways to play the game in terms of strategy and loadout types?

There are! If you go to the subreddit you can see they still organize tournaments and see what they ban. Common bans include the stealth extensions and left arm sniper rifles, as well as certain types of spam missiles, usually multi-missiles.

The western fan base in general prefers to run tournaments in Silent Line it seems, with OP-I banned as well as some other stuff.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bradzilla posted:

The final mission of the original AC loving tripped me out as a 12 year old.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVN30DnhDXI

It was legitimately scary to play as a kid. Just in how it's set up as seemingly just another mission with a boring name and briefing, and then as you dig deeper into it you slowly realized it was specifically designed to kill you in particular. And that's before you get to Nine-Ball... and the second Nine-Ball, and then when you approach the computer core R's voice comes booming over the radio like the voice of God telling you to TURN BACK!

And then oh poo poo, the game's over. What?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
AC1's final mission is really cool overall, if not the best in the series for me. Nexus's final mission is another one that I enjoy as well. It's quite somber and makes the player feel powerless, and then you get Last Raven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psQVKLJl8mQ

Wonder when the hell are they gonna show anything about AC6. It feels like forever since they said they were working on it and nothing has shown up yet. Elden Ring is coming out early 2020... and then what?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I was hoping to play through all the ACs this winter. I was simply going to do the Second Nexus disc and replay all the missions, but gently caress that. I want to feel like I just popped in the psm demo disc with AC1 and Crash Bandicoot on it. I want to copy over my safe file and feel like a golden god with my Kurasawa.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wonder when the hell are they gonna show anything about AC6. It feels like forever since they said they were working on it and nothing has shown up yet. Elden Ring is coming out early 2020... and then what?

Truthfully I don’t think they actually are working on AC6. The implication I’ve picked up from interviews is that they really want people to express interest in it because they want to work on it, but have to demonstrate to a publisher that people want to play it.

The unfortunate reality with AC is that it was never actually super popular in the west, and with a formula as popular as From’s third person fantasy RPGs I don’t think it’s any surprise that publishers aren’t interested in anything else. Especially with the debacle that was SEGA and Ubisoft’s handling of the 4 series.

Sadly the Switch title doesn’t seem to have done that well. I am interested in buying it tho, mostly because it looks fun, albeit terminally anime for my tastes.

I think the thing that will bring us a new AC is one of two things. Either a) From finally makes a game popular enough that their publisher greenlights whatever they pitch. This seems unlikely as most of From’s fantasy RPGs don’t break much more than 5 mil units, and have a larger cultural imprint than their actual sales number would suggest. Or b) one of the fan successor projects does relatively speaking really well and one of the mid-tier publishers like Focus Home Interactive decides to let From do an AC as a side project.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What would you consider a fan successor project? I've enjoyed the little that I have played of DxM, but I don't think that's exactly what you were thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really enjoy Daemon x Machina. I think it's a bit too modern day mainstream anime with its presentation, but you do eventually get the whole jaded mercenaries screaming personal philosophies in the middle of robot battles stuff that I love in AC. Many of the little tweaks to the formula inspired by hunting action are a welcome change, and establishing Human Plus as a real upgrade system you can buy into was great, but goodness it's really obvious that Switch can't handle DxM once it gets rolling. Some missions have some nasty frame rate issues when, like, 20 swarmer bots show up and you're fighting other Arsenals and explosions are popping off and the game slows to a crawl.

In spite of that it's still my Switch game of the year. I wish it reeled in some of the heavy anime aesthetic of its cast but it's fast, it's snappy, it's fun to collect and upgrade robot parts, and I found it to be a real joy. We might not have AC6 any time soon but if Nintendo wants to keep throwing money at First Studio to keep making DxMs I'd be happy to keep paying them for it.