Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

RBA Starblade posted:

I beat NG++, it isn't

I don't think that "Main System: Engaging Combat Mode" in the final moments was for show.

Read the lyrics of Stargazer. I wouldn't call that hopeful, or even positive. Holy poo poo.

We're out there turning up on random worlds.

I think we're forcing coral onto countless species, including humanity, and using the threat of violence to do it.

We're doing galactic colonial mass genocide by the trillions, and at no point did Ayre explain that this was her ideal future.

She could have just cohabited, and told us to get the gently caress off Rubicon, or found some other way to coexist peacefully that didn't involve undermining all other cognizant life in the universe, using ACs as von neumann probes and the threat of violence for the proliferation of coral.

Without telling 621 her goal, without even communicating her goal, she just makes it happen. Its some serious monkey's paw poo poo.

Projection, guilt-tripping, false-naivete despite having frictionless access to the largest stores of data imaginable at insane rates of comprehension no human can match which she's demonstrated hundreds of times, scapegoating, misrepresentation, lovebombing...

I'm 100% convinced she's a face for coral to manipulate us. It all sounds so much like an abusive relationship now in retrospect, when I consider her decisions.

She wasn't even invited, and invaded us.

I don't think "Ayre" actually exists.

She's a mask for an eldrich horror hyperobject.

This is some Gen Urobuchi tier stuff.

I feel so used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That's a lot of stuff you just made up, maybe take a step back here

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

RBA Starblade posted:

That's a lot of stuff you just made up, maybe take a step back here

Did we even watch the same ending sequence?

Ah you found my twitter, which is bristling with opinions, especially how much I hate Ayre
I cannot clearly express how betrayed I feel.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

As an outsider who's not much into these games I can definitely say i've noticed a surprising number of people who are Weirdly Horny over AC6 in general on like twitter etc so idk.

At the same time, as Expo70's close friend I can also say that she definitely needs to touch grass a hell of a lot more.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Expo70 posted:

Did we even watch the same ending sequence?

lmao apparently not

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

RBA Starblade posted:

lmao apparently not

So for context, I'm talking about the specific ending with the big red circle and then the water.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

acksplode posted:

I'm only halfway through NG+ but calling the disembodied feminine voice "waifu bait" sounds like a brain worms symptom, and I've seen nothing that justifies calling her a "manipulative bitch". Get a grip

Yeah, Ayre actually has a mission she asks you to go on where you both go to an old research institute to learn all about Coral, and it's mostly horror stories. If it's a manipulation tactic, it's a remarkably counterintuitive one, and she doesn't do anything after to try to counter the impact.

The only time she tries to stop you is if you try to burn her entire species to a cinder, killing off millions, maybe billions of innocent people in the process. And that's something that most people would consider over the line.

Meanwhile, both Walter and Carla have dialogue that's positive about Ayre, even though they were still going forward with the whole Fires plan. They don't think she's bad, once they know she exists. They just view the risk the Coral represents was important enough to justify deaths of billions of innocents. One more didn't change the math.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Expo70 posted:

So for context, I'm talking about the specific ending with the big red circle and then the water.

Oh, I know

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Expo70 posted:

Literally none of what you said was in the game, you're just making poo poo up.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Our reads don't match, then. I do not think it is a happy ending.

What's your read of it?

Here's a link if you want to see it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmPwT0WCys

Cirina posted:

Literally none of what you said was in the game, you're just making poo poo up.

See above.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
I'm well aware of which ending you're talking about, but you're just entirely making poo poo up about it because it's vague as poo poo and you want a reason to hate ayre.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Cirina posted:

I'm well aware of which ending you're talking about, but you're just entirely making poo poo up about it because it's vague as poo poo and you want a reason to hate ayre.

I really liked her and I even thought she was sweet until I had the moment of "wait, what actually is coral?"

and I really stopped and thought long and hard about it.

like when I say the waifu nonsense, I mean like, "a character designed by committee to sell PRODUCT to very very lonely vulnerable people"

I don't mean FROM doing it, I mean coral doing it, and in a way then her design making players complicit as a demonstration of the thing they're talking about.

Nitro Plus did the same thing with a very weird game by the name of Saya no Uta.

I remember playing the Steam version on a friend's computer which thankfully cuts out the deeply questionable stuff many moons ago and I can really see the parallels here.

In this case, PRODUCT is coral supremacy.

There's a big big big reason we absolutely do not want this stuff getting off world.

I do not think the True Ending/Alea lacta est is a happy ending at all.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Expo70 posted:

Our reads don't match, then. I do not think it is a happy ending.

What's your read of it?

Here's a link if you want to see it again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSmPwT0WCys

See above.

I missed the part where we killed trillions, apparently

Oldest King

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

RBA Starblade posted:

I missed the part where we killed trillions, apparently

Oldest King

I mean what do you think we're on all of these worlds, disseminated all over all of space -- "everywhere" and "anywhere", to do with a bunch of ACs in combat mode, pick flowers?

I think we're here to ruin our galactic neighbours day, trying to convince people to accept coral as their personal saviour, at gunpoint.

Disseminated all over space. Everywhere and anywhere.

Even in the most pessimistic version of the Drake equation, that's a lot of neighbours who's days we're ruining!

e:

And then this plays. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_Wgi5l94t0

Yeah, I do not think this is a happy ending at all.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 29, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Expo70 posted:

I mean what do you think we're on all of these worlds, disseminated all over all of space -- "everywhere" and "anywhere", to do with a bunch of ACs in combat mode, pick flowers?

In AC6, the Armored Cores can only enter that mode. The augmented human enters "standard" mode. When the game's doing that it's telling you the AC is operating, and then at the end of chapter that you're done for now. The ending is telling you the AC is back online and Ayre is helping you operate. You're not about to go murder Super Earth lmao.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

RBA Starblade posted:

In AC6, the Armored Cores can only enter that mode. The augmented human enters "standard" mode. The game is telling you the AC is online and Ayre is helping you operate it to move. You're not about to go murder Super Earth lmao.

But its one of the oldest conventions of the series, and its known widely to mean "you're about to do a violence, and it probably won't be ethical".

Its some of the first dialog you hear in the very first game.

My strongest memory of it Eliminate Strikers on Doan Bridge in AC1, where we immediately went on to do horrible things.

My thinking is, we were motivated into climbing into an AC in the first place to get our life back in AC6, to "unfry" our brain and "get the surgery" as Walter puts it.

Why would we want to be trapped in an AC in perpetuity?

Why wouldn't we just disembark if we're not here to do violence?

Why are there so many of us together, and we're all armed?

It just doesn't bode well. I can't see this as a positive, at all.

I could have accepted the "congratulations, Shinji!" ending if we weren't armed, and if we didn't enter 'combat mode'.

e:
For an actual crackpot theory: I don't think the fact 'Stargazer' is so structurally similar to 'Fall' from AC4's OST is a coincidence either.
I've been listening to the work of Kota Hoshino and FreQuency for drat near 20 years now and he doesn't do callbacks without purpose.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 29, 2023

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Who says you're trapped in it? Why would you disembark in an ocean?

Like it's an ambiguous ending but c'mon lol

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

RBA Starblade posted:

Who says you're trapped in it? Why would you disembark in an ocean?

Like it's an ambiguous ending but c'mon lol

Its waist high and we're standing in it lol

I'd climb out and wade around a bit: I'd be desperate to stretch my legs after all that time in the cockpit
And drat, real warm sun, after how frigid Rubicon is?

Ayre said she could feel gravity through us, that she'd missed the sensation of it and was glad for that.

Has she ever seen the sea? Or the warmth of Earth's sky? The fresh air?

If she's a good person and not some manipulative horror pretending to be a person, I would want to share those things with her.

It would absolutely be the first thing I did.

But that's not why we're here. We're not sight-seeing.

We're missionaries of coral.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I would say personally that I read it as her playfighting with you, the Coral somehow formed new things, it is apparently also a magical 3D printer and everything, and among all those things are new shells for all those whose consciousness touched the Coral, which at that point is everyone who had ever lived on Rubicon, everyone who was augmented outside of it up to their potential deaugmentation and everyone existing in human space and possibly beyond. It has made those shells as ACs because it knows how to make and drive those, which also dehumanizes everyone a bit further, fine, and considering that (A) we are beyond death and (B) the best fun she's had so far was a twenty second duel in the simulated arena and (C) we're sitting on an empty beach (not showing us a city behind and expecting us to infer it would be the moment the authors allow us to boo and sling poo poo at them), she's going for a little playfighting that's fundamentally harmless to everyone involved, because the bodies apparently have a cost of zero and because the consciousnesses are happening in the universal Coral tide. Also you don't have reprinted human bodies yet.

As for the morality of forcing Coral existence on everyone, that's a bit of a dozy, that's for sure, I'll note that Ayre will happily go for the liberation ending and leave aside the Coral release if 621 picks that instead. I think the Coral entities are more or less patterned off the people who died in the Fires of Ibis, hence the institute missing out on spotting Coral entities, which would also explain that slightly cavalier attitude to the earlier problem.

Unrelated to all that, I am mildly miffed as to the power and rarity of ACs in universe, there's what, three to six Basho ACs on Rubicon at most? BAWS isn't in the business of hand forging everything, there should be more, few ACs worked in 4th gen because they are self reconditionning reuseable nukes, those machines and pilots are big business even if they are very few, it makes sense to make a custom one off for that sort of power, here BAWS could just print out three thousand of the Wall boss things which they appear to have done considering that Rusty's left one or two wrecks of those on his approach and have a far better deal for everyone, so with low power ACs they shouldn't be such a big deal and their pilots should have this push and pull in the regular running of this world.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Sep 29, 2023

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Good god get a grip

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

kirbysuperstar posted:

Good god get a grip

mom says its my turn on the serotonin

i know my reads of the game are a bit out there, its all part of the fun

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Expo70 posted:

mom says its my turn on the serotonin

i know my reads of the game are a bit out there, its all part of the fun

Fun is one way to put it, I suppose.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
You know, I thought this game's story definitely went some places, but loving Saya no Uta was not something that ever came to my mind in any of these endings at any point, including now

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Both me and her irl partner are talking to her about not touching grass enough and reading waaay too into poo poo so please don't dogpile her too much in this thread :shobon:

Love u bae but you got some loving Weird Opinions About Videogames sometimes <3

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Shame Boy posted:

Both me and her irl partner are talking to her about not touching grass enough and reading waaay too into poo poo so please don't dogpile her too much in this thread :shobon:

Love u bae but you got some loving Weird Opinions About Videogames sometimes <3

I know I don't consume a lot of fiction so I get too carried away when I finally find something I click with.

I think maybe it means I should go back to writing fiction if I can project this much onto something, if this really is projection and not just interpretation.

I'll try to reign the weirdness in, sorry :x

e:

Any suggestions on good ways to touch grass?

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 30, 2023

The Automator
Jan 16, 2009
This thread is so loving weird

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Expo70 posted:

Any suggestions on good ways to touch grass?

Go to Arby's (or your local equivalent preferred purveyor of fast food), order a tasty sandwich, and go to your local park and sit under a tree with a good view that's far away from people to enjoy your sandwich. Regardless of which hemisphere you're living in, it's a great season for outdoor viewing.

Finally - wear sandals. That way, you can take them off and touch the ground with your bare feet - no one said you had to touch grass with your hands, after all.

StuffyEvil
Nov 8, 2022

Poison sandwich tea party starts now
(art from @luingear on Twitter)
I do think that the Alea lecta Est ending has quite a lot of uncertainty, far more than the Liberator of Rubicon ending.

I don't think Ayre is necessarily malicious, as her favouring Coral is evidently due to her nature.

There are some points that you can argue against the ending.
  • Yes everyone are now entwined with Coral, giving them the various associated benefits like being able to interface with technology like how Ayre does or what not, but it does not guarantee that conflict won't just intensify further now that everyone has Coral powers.
  • O'Keefe's reasons for not going ahead with the plan, as her belief that the mundanity of a normal life, like having mediocre coffee, still has its merits (which apparently is similar to the philosopher / writer that he's named after), and would much prefer to live & die as a "human" than the uncertainty that Coral Release entails.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

LuiCypher posted:

Go to Arby's (or your local equivalent preferred purveyor of fast food), order a tasty sandwich, and go to your local park and sit under a tree with a good view that's far away from people to enjoy your sandwich. Regardless of which hemisphere you're living in, it's a great season for outdoor viewing.

Finally - wear sandals. That way, you can take them off and touch the ground with your bare feet - no one said you had to touch grass with your hands, after all.

thankyou. the last few months have been difficult. i appreciate the advice in a very sincere way.

also

i can't unhear this lmao

https://youtu.be/3nLrkkl6mtU?t=31

https://youtu.be/6a3HwbPMcxY?t=47

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Now that's something I haven't thought about in a while lmao

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
A very patient friend who endured my very stupid complaints rolled our combined back and forth into a balance mod.

Tessemi's been working diligently on it for a few weeks, so go give them some love.

quote:

A regulation mod aiming to bring back the vibe of some older armored core games with a big focus on adding a sense of weight to the ACs
and making the bulk of the missions overall more challenging.

Large scale generator, handling, enemy and weapon changes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0Mnx6nXoK0
https://www.nexusmods.com/armoredcore6firesofrubicon/mods/96

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 12, 2023

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Uomura/status/1726222638501314751

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I don't have AC6 yet, but someone did a big effortpost about AC3 in the GOTY thread and I decided I should finally check it out.

And I'm having a lot of fun! The controls are a hot mess, but some emulator-level rebinding has made them workable (and given me some ideas for how to set up King's Field 4 if I ever want to tilt at that windmill again). I've just discovered the joys of hover legs after needing a set for a waterfront mission -- I've got Quail legs now and they are so zoomy, I'm not sure why I would want to use anything else. (Also, they're quiet!)

I also just found a part lying on the ground in a mission and now I'm wondering how much other hidden loot I've missed.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
If you're emulating it anyway then there's pnatch files to give it legit analogue controls instead of wonky rebinds

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

If you're emulating it anyway then there's pnatch files to give it legit analogue controls instead of wonky rebinds

Oh sweet, thank you! PCSX2 came with a widescreen patch for it but not analog fixes, and it didn't occur to me to look for cheats instead.

And yeah, my actual PS2 is gathering dust in a box somewhere, I moved to emulation as soon as it was viable just to have fewer cables to manage.

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evyLn-Zuj5c

Verdict Day is dead long live Verdict Day

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I managed to get a few online related trophies in my Japanese copy of verdict day before it closed down. Can't believe it survived this long when ACV shut down in like less than a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/Hellhound13th/status/1782481727065293253

please, god, no

edit: in slightly less cursed biological organism related hobby stuff, this is cool

https://twitter.com/Uomura/status/1782433496709091447

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Apr 23, 2024