Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Shadow225 posted:

What would you consider a fan successor project? I've enjoyed the little that I have played of DxM, but I don't think that's exactly what you were thinking.

Speaking personally, a true AC successor needs to emulate the classic feel of the series. Several lock levels, using aerial and landing momentum to coast along to save energy or stop suddenly to have enemies overshoot you, preferably some form of OB stepping, normal and emergency cooling (preferably no Nexus era boost heat but I'll take anything at this point), all that sort of stuff. Having that die with Last Raven and show no signs of returning even in fan stuff is super sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Honestly, I'd buy a game that copied Chromehounds' feel quicker than I'd buy a game that copied classic AC. I like classic AC, but I loved Chromehounds.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't there an indie game that is supposed to be like Chromehounds? MAV? I'm not sure since I never actually played Chromehounds, I wish I had played it online back when it came out. I've heard a lot of praise for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wasn't there an indie game that is supposed to be like Chromehounds? MAV? I'm not sure since I never actually played Chromehounds, I wish I had played it online back when it came out. I've heard a lot of praise for it.

I'm pretty sure it's one of those games that will be stuck in EA limbo for all of time

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Shadow225 posted:

What would you consider a fan successor project? I've enjoyed the little that I have played of DxM, but I don't think that's exactly what you were thinking.

DxM isn’t a fan successor but it is an attempt at a successor. Here’s more of an example of what I’m thinking:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HREK3b75Dic

For me the most important thing to get right in an attempt to follow up on AC is for mobility to be nuanced but feel powerful. Mobility is nuanced in the 2/3 era games but often frustrating unless you are using OP-I due to the limitations of energy or heat management and your opponents’ lack thereof. Conversely, mobility is powerful in 4/FA but has low commitment due to functionally unlimited resources.

5 had good ideas on how to compromise between the two but suffered from level design that did not support its movement mechanics in a lot of cases, i.e. focusing on jumping off of buildings but then asking you to fight in a flat desert.

I’d like to see a system that used 5’s boost hopping alongside 4’s QB, but with QB on either an internal cooldown or charge mechanic so it can’t be spammed.

Project Nimbus is not really that game but it has potential, it’s kind of rough rn tho.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing that made Chromehounds feel good was that the mechs had weight

You didn't feel like you were piloting a zippy little Gundam, you felt like you were piloting a big fuckoff tank with legs and guns everywhere and it owned. It wasn't as fast as AC but the slower gameplay worked really well for it.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
All the fangames I've seen so far have been For Answer-inspired. Some of them look promising imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJC3eAFdNaQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PR1C0IQQMXc

This one is a different project that doesn't seem to have a name yet, but the dev posts frequent updates in their youtube channel.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Big Scary Owl posted:

All the fangames I've seen so far have been For Answer-inspired. Some of them look promising imo.

There’s a good reason for this imo. Every AC game had good moments and fan favorite bosses, but none of them are likely to top the gravitas and visual spectacle of White Glint challenging Spirit of Motherwill. For Answer made the player feel powerful in a way no other AC game did and I think there’s a desire to recapture that awe.

That said, For Answer does have genuine problems and focusing only on it throws away a lot of great ideas from the other games. There are so many concepts or mechanics that got introduced but not expanded on to the extent they deserved. I’d say the most notable example is Exceed Orbit cores. There’s so much room to blend the mechanics of the AC games to create a multitude of options for the player and I hope someone captures that instead of wallowing in a simple desire for nostalgia.

Lightning Knight fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Oct 29, 2019

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm pretty sure it's one of those games that will be stuck in EA limbo for all of time

It's too bad that M.A.V. is stuck in early access limbo. Looking it up and it looks like a neat game. It's just that unless there is single player in the form of bots on the multiplayer maps, and a campaign, then there is no reason to buy it because no one is playing it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lightning Knight posted:

There’s a good reason for this imo. Every AC game had good moments and fan favorite bosses, but none of them are likely to top the gravitas and visual spectacle of White Glint challenging Spirit of Motherwill. For Answer made the player feel powerful in a way no other AC game did and I think there’s a desire to recapture that awe.

A group around here like to do a gundam model build night, and one time my brother, who's built a whole ton of AC models (there are way more than I assumed there'd be lol) bought me an Ambient to make for it since I don't really do any of that but they wanted me to join in. When everyone asked me what the hell was that I showed them the intro for 4 and 4A and they all really wanted to try that out instead lol

One of them bought the Unsung to make afterward.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So my fiancé bought a Switch a few years ago to play BotW and ended up being disappointed by it, so it’s mostly sat unused in our apartments as we’ve moved. Today on a whim I decided to pick up the Switch and play the Daemon X Machina demo.

It’s interesting. Their decisions wrt movement are neat and serve both to free up buttons for weapon management and to compensate for the limitations of the Switch itself. It’s aggressively anime and silly so if you prefer the seriousness of AC you may be disappointed. But the actual game is fun.

I liked the demo enough to buy the game, but the demo is free and worth trying if you have a Switch!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
How's the PvP? Post your mech!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Big Scary Owl posted:

How's the PvP? Post your mech!

I do not have the online service for Switch so I have no idea! Also I do not know how to share screenshots from Switch but my mech is mostly basic parts at the moment. The game feels slightly easy - the most damage I’ve taken so far is from accidentally dropping a building onto myself. Swords are hilarious tho and feel far more powerful than laser blades ever were in AC, mostly due to good tracking and good animations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Also I do not know how to share screenshots from Switch
Hit the little button on the left joycon (under the "d-pad") to take a screenshot, hold it in some games to record a video of the last X seconds. In the album section of the home menu you can edit it and share it to Twitter, or if you have an SD card you can turn the Switch off and put the SD card into your computer to grab the raw JPG/MP4 files.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

The Kins posted:

Hit the little button on the left joycon (under the "d-pad") to take a screenshot, hold it in some games to record a video of the last X seconds. In the album section of the home menu you can edit it and share it to Twitter, or if you have an SD card you can turn the Switch off and put the SD card into your computer to grab the raw JPG/MP4 files.

I see. Maybe later when I’ve unlocked something worth looking at I’ll try this.

The game is interesting. They’ve taken the weapon rail swapping system from AC5, coupled with movement that feels like a hybrid of AC4 and 5 without quickboosting, but with the ability to fly forever. The AC influence is obvious and strong but also the compromises and changes they made both for the Switch and for their own preferences make it feel like a distinctive branch in priorities and style.

The absolutely silly anime aesthetic and plot (the latter of which, unfortunately, is terrible) also contribute to giving it a very different feel.

I finally got to a boss and it killed me a few times, but mostly because I didn’t understand how to fight it at first.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I liked DxM's gameplay in the two hour demo but hated literally everything surrounding it so it's a sale game for me.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think my favorite change to DxM from AC is the adaptation of hunting action style loot. Each stage having a loot table for the Strai loot drops with variable slots alongside possible Arsenal post-stage reinforcement fights with their own separate loot tables feels really fun and addictive to me, I liked replaying stages to try and get that 2nd 3-slot assault rifle I wanted but hey maybe I find something else I can use to send to the factory and unlock a purchasable no-slot version of a part? It makes sense that a Raven can just buy their parts, and I like that DxM offers the ability to unlock and then purchase just about any part, but having even better versions of those parts available as drops gives me a reason to go back to replay older stages.

It still kind of sucks though that the White Glint knockoff parts don't drop anywhere in the game, so you can't get super upgraded versions of them. There's a Google Sheet of all the DxM loot stuff if you're interested.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I am mixed on the random loot aspect. Sometimes I like it and sometimes it frustrates me.

I will say that the game is significantly more simplified than the PS3 era AC games. Fewer options for coloring your mech, the mech is made of less parts, and missions are more forgiving - there are ammo drops in mission and healing available as well.

One small thing that I love even if it’s not that useful in this game specifically is being able to use two different arm parts.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The separate arm selection is mega useful if one of your arms is a weapon arm, which it often is because they're the straight up best example of their weapon type. Aside from that, though, I didn't find it terribly helpful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I think at this point I own every physical PAL AC release except Ninebreaker. Though, that means no PP or MoA either, we never got those.

Good games.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

I think at this point I own every physical PAL AC release except Ninebreaker. Though, that means no PP or MoA either, we never got those.

Good games.

Ninebreaker was cheap bargain bin trash so you’re not missing out of anything. PP and MoA are at least worth something though.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

Good games.

:same:

(Ignore my noticeably missing AC1 cases, the games themselves are in the small plastic cases up top but I have yet to splurge on original cases copies. :negative:)

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
So do you guys think there's any chance for an Armored Core game announcement at the Video Game Awards...?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
No, they only announce popular games at the VGAs

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, they only announce popular games at the VGAs

:thurman:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Sorry you're gonna get Elden Ring

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
:negative:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Big Scary Owl posted:

So do you guys think there's any chance for an Armored Core game announcement at the Video Game Awards...?

Nah.

I beat Daemon x Machina. It’s fun, and I feel like I got my money’s worth for the single player, but I wish it was on Xbox or PC so I could play some multiplayer. I don’t want to buy online for the Switch for one game. :negative:

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

There was a From Software mech game, that came out only in japan. Titled Frame Gride. It's a mix between virtual on and armored core and it rules. I think theres a english translation patch for the rom if anyone is interested. I played it in japanese. Theres 10 questions they ask you at the start of the game that totally determines your starting frame/gear. Lol.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
I played Frame Gride once and I thought it was weird how you had to hold both triggers and then press the melee attack to do multiple attacks instead of just one hit

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Policenaut posted:

Sorry you're gonna get Elden Ring

Souls games until FROM is no more. :homebrew:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1202081034172538882

That's some next level speculation but still...

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RunawayPantleg posted:

Hey can anybody comment on multiplayer in the early AC titles up to like the end of the PS2 era? I know how my friends and I played it but that was kinda before I was heavily online so I'm curious what others' experiences were at the time. Was there any kind of meta or cheap strats or like, understood "best" ways to play the game in terms of strategy and loadout types?

Back in their time the meta always felt like super lightweight humanoid acs with sniper rifles and maybe a missile. The summer before Nexus came out I dark horsed some long dead fansite's 64 man fantasy tournament (submit an ac design and a couple of the better members would meet up and play it out) using a tank with the right arm plasma rifle, a left arm howitzer and the LIC-10 giant fuckoff laser cannon.

Reive
May 21, 2009

From what I can tell this is completely new art that also includes a tower from Verdict Day.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

article posted:

Update 12/04/19 at 7:50 a.m.: Game Spark got in touch with Yasunori Ogura and asked about the image, who confirmed it is not related to a new title. He simply has not set a new header image since the launch of Metal Wolf Chaos XD in August, and had no intention of suggesting a new title. The image itself is from Amored Core: Verdict Day. It was not used much, so it was misunderstood as a new image.

Expected but still, dreams just keep getting murdered everytime

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Lol it’s so obvious From wants to make Armored Core but there’s just not the market for it in the west so their publishers probably don’t give a poo poo.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
FROM is doing a survey related to Metal Wolf Chaos XD: https://www2.fromsoftware.jp/p/main/questionnaire/

You can complete it with google translate if need be. Be sure to ask for more Armored Core games/ports!

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Also, double post but gently caress it, I just saw a cool post in the AC subreddit which posted about how to play splitscreen in emulated AC1 to MoA even if the menu says "VS Mode (Link)". You just hold R2 and in AC1 the text will change to normal versus and then press X and now you can play splitscreen! This also works in PP and MoA but the text won't change. Cool little thing I never knew about.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Big Scary Owl posted:

FROM is doing a survey related to Metal Wolf Chaos XD: https://www2.fromsoftware.jp/p/main/questionnaire/

You can complete it with google translate if need be. Be sure to ask for more Armored Core games/ports!

Done and done. Filled it out and wrote PLEASE MAKE MORE ARMORED CORE GAMES! Nice to see them asking for feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I boosted here as fast as I could with this tweet in hand

https://twitter.com/fyu_ry/status/1211219384607207424