Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Is this the most efficient way to decide this? Couldn't we make s strawpoll and use the top 5 voted?

And then someone would be upset because their game wasn't included in the straw poll. So I don't think that'll work either, especially if we don't get enough votes to make a decision. Also polls aren't great because every vote is equal. So a drive by goon's vote is as important as explosivo or zedprime or any number of goons who post here regularly. I don't want to decide like that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat

Mayveena posted:

Someone felt that making a couple of games per category special would be a good idea and I agreed. I think at this point you're just going to have to accept the stars as is. OR I'll get rid of the stars entirely. Let me know please.

There's no possible way to satisfy everyone here folks, and I've been working on this for some time. At the end of the day it's not a huge deal and I would like to move on. I hope all of those who disagree with something about the list will still be here for the new OP, if not we'll absolutely miss you.

-Jennifer

Every game should have a star. Every single one. It'll be funny trust me

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I think the star choices are fine. I don't even like Rimworld but it should probably get a star over DF.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Thirded, move on w the stars as they ars

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chrissakes why is everybody being so weird about a new OP? She could have posted the thread without asking for input and I'm willing to bet nobody would have even noticed the list changed.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Maybe this thread needs a wiki

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
where does the idolmaster shiny colors go on the OP

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

VostokProgram posted:

Maybe this thread needs a wiki

That's what I would support. List some games, include resources for them, don't worry so much about the popularity contest and let more than one person make the call.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

explosivo posted:

Chrissakes why is everybody being so weird about a new OP? She could have posted the thread without asking for input and I'm willing to bet nobody would have even noticed the list changed.

lol asking this question on Something Awful.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

All this makes me want a management game where you manage a forum, could have policies for moderation. Maybe some method of attracting better advertising target posters so you can draw in more money. Someone clever could write a bot to pull in shitposts from the internet to populate it when you let things spiral out of control.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

SlyFrog posted:

lol asking this question on Something Awful.

Well yeah it was more of a rhetorical question :shobon:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Watch out guys productivity is down like 80% in this thread, if it gets any worse the inhabitants could spend so long on thinking about asterisks that we all starve to death before the task is done

Mata
Dec 23, 2003
We first need to vote in a committee to establish a canonical genre taxonomy and which topology to best represent it. A directed graph perhaps?

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Mata posted:

We first need to vote in a committee to establish a canonical genre taxonomy and which topology to best represent it. A directed graph perhaps?

An acyclic directed graph, I hope

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Mayveena posted:

There's no possible way to satisfy everyone here folks, and I've been working on this for some time. At the end of the day it's not a huge deal and I would like to move on.

👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sounds like a great plan, Mayveena. I appreciate the work you've put in.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
It feels weird to me that WR:SR doesn't fit into any of the categories, but I'm not sure where it should go.

Anyway, it seems like a pretty good list, certainly good enough. Maybe Satisfactory should have a star, it seems broadly popular.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
not to complicate the taxonomy further but in my mind there is a tier of

city builder / village builder / base or facility builder

where at the top, the city level, pawns are highly abstracted. in the middle level, you have to care about pawns but not know them personally, and at the lowest level each pawn is a known individual

so for city builders, you would have simcity and skylines obviously. workers and resources would be here also, since the focus is on regional play

tropico sits in between city and village somewhere

village builders would be banished, dawn of man, frostpunk

prison architect sits between village and base

and a pure base builder would be like rimworld or ONI

exceptions carved out for games which are purely about automation like factorio, or games where the activity and movement of pawns is more important than the space they inhabit like two point hospital

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

It feels weird to me that WR:SR doesn't fit into any of the categories, but I'm not sure where it should go.

Anyway, it seems like a pretty good list, certainly good enough. Maybe Satisfactory should have a star, it seems broadly popular.

Yeah I’m not sure where WR:SR should go either. So it’ll stay where it is.

Thanks all it’ll be up by tomorrow. And this time I’m going to reserve a post for additional information.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Mayveena posted:

And then someone would be upset because their game wasn't included in the straw poll. So I don't think that'll work either, especially if we don't get enough votes to make a decision. Also polls aren't great because every vote is equal. So a drive by goon's vote is as important as explosivo or zedprime or any number of goons who post here regularly. I don't want to decide like that.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Its ok, I still like ya no mattet what.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

socialsecurity posted:

All this makes me want a management game where you manage a forum, could have policies for moderation. Maybe some method of attracting better advertising target posters so you can draw in more money. Someone clever could write a bot to pull in shitposts from the internet to populate it when you let things spiral out of control.

Shitpost Simulator 2k21: Mods, Please! edition

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Obviously its still being worked on with new features coming in all the time, but I really do enjoy it.

been playing it a bit and i also really enjoy it

e: nm i'm dumb and figured it out. really like this so far, kinda barebones but i like how you set up production lines

Mister No fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 3, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Is there a games thats Dwarf Fortress/Rimworld but turn based instead of RTWP?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat

Mayveena posted:

Yeah I’m not sure where WR:SR should go either. So it’ll stay where it is.

Thanks all it’ll be up by tomorrow. And this time I’m going to reserve a post for additional information.

Put it in is own special category of GAY SPACE COMMUNISM SIMULATOR 2021.

If it must be pumped with the existing list the closest game to it mechanically is like... Tropico...?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
It's already decided, and what you decided is cool, but maybe put somewhere the stars are based on the OPs preferences? Cause those stars are definitely not the general concensus.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

KirbyKhan posted:

Put it in is own special category of GAY SPACE COMMUNISM SIMULATOR 2021.

If it must be pumped with the existing list the closest game to it mechanically is like... Tropico...?
Workers and Resources is if Tropico and Transport Fever had a baby and the baby grew up train spotting in Czechoslovakia

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

I'm far too proud of this dumb little city that can barely make food but some survives on imports and tourism money.

Edit: Also I can't do straight lines to any extent whatsoever and anyone who can do so consistently is my hero.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Garfu posted:

It's already decided, and what you decided is cool, but maybe put somewhere the stars are based on the OPs preferences? Cause those stars are definitely not the general concensus.

How do you know that? A couple complaints is not a lack of general consensus. Even 10 complaints is not a lack of general consensus. Not everyone posts, not everyone cares.

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?
Whatever I like is the general consensus, and whatever I don't like isn't.

I hope that clears things up.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I'm far too proud of this dumb little city that can barely make food but some survives on imports and tourism money.

Edit: Also I can't do straight lines to any extent whatsoever and anyone who can do so consistently is my hero.

Having just wrapped up the tutorials and promptly attempted to build my own city, getting laid low by the UI:
how on earth do you have things so close together without getting "blocked by infrastructure" prompts
That and the weirdness of terrain is about 90% of my stumbling blocks right now, before I can even get into things.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SkyeAuroline posted:

Having just wrapped up the tutorials and promptly attempted to build my own city, getting laid low by the UI:
how on earth do you have things so close together without getting "blocked by infrastructure" prompts
That and the weirdness of terrain is about 90% of my stumbling blocks right now, before I can even get into things.
Anywhere you want tight urban situations you must first turn the terrain exactly like a shark skin: unimaginably smooth. The easiest, cheapest way to do so is to put a few flattening vehicles (I think excavators are ok? otherwise bulldozers) in a construction depot, turn off build by ruble, grab a steel mill, and use it as a bigger flattening template than normally allowed by the terraforming tools.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Some of the mod buildings also have really close boxes so you can put them drat near anywhere.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat

SlyFrog posted:

Same

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

SlyFrog posted:

I base my ratings on what I read. I think Satisfactory and Surviving Mars, are pretty widely recommended, so I would star them even though I don't personally like them.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

I am enjoying this. This is good posting material.

Also Factorio needs more stars than everyone else. :D

(Seriously, it's all fine. :justpost: Mayveena!)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
List was good, stars were good.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Soiled Meat

Teledahn posted:

I am enjoying this. This is good posting material.

Also Factorio needs more stars than everyone else. :D

(Seriously, it's all fine. :justpost: Mayveena!)

Yo we haven't even touched the youtube section of the OP. I wanna see plugs and I wanna read O P I N I O N S about the parasocial relationships we develop with people who also play mapgame.

Mister No
Jul 15, 2006
Yes.
i can not figure out, or if it's even possible, to set automatic unboxing of intermediary products in Gunsmith and it's driving me nuts. :|

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Huh wait a tic, Astroneer is marked under Base Builders?

Can anybody elaborate? I’d mentally filed it away under ‘Assorted Survival Crafts’ but if it’s got base building management elements I might have to reassess where it sits on my wishlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

zedprime posted:

Anywhere you want tight urban situations you must first turn the terrain exactly like a shark skin: unimaginably smooth. The easiest, cheapest way to do so is to put a few flattening vehicles (I think excavators are ok? otherwise bulldozers) in a construction depot, turn off build by ruble, grab a steel mill, and use it as a bigger flattening template than normally allowed by the terraforming tools.

Good to know. Does that do much about the "blocked by infrastructure" side, though?

Also the map decided coal would only be in the mountains with tons of jagged and bumpy poo poo all over the place so that certainly wasn't helping things. Soviet plains city pls.