Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I think the difference is that with Base Builders, when you're dealing with hosting people, you deal with individuals. City builders, you deal with populations. (Even if the simulation uses individual agents to manage them, you treat them as populations)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Oct 21, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
So where do logistics focused games come in? Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic is extremely my jam even though it's still somewhat early access. While it has populations, you're still effectively directing agents in the form of vehicles and building the infrastructure (for them to build the infrastructure etc). Is Tropico a base builder?

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Shibawanko posted:

Mindustry is a good one, it's like Factorio but the graphics are better and it just seems like a general improvement, I haven't actually played Factorio so I can't compare them well but I really enjoyed Mindustry.

You should really try factorio. From what I've played, mindustry seems like it has a clunkier interface and is overall a much smaller game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

MikeJF posted:

I think the difference is that with Base Builders, when you're dealing with hosting people, you deal with individuals. City builders, you deal with populations. (Even if the simulation uses individual agents to manage them, you treat them as populations)

The issue there is that minecraft is primarily not involving other characters at all, and I have never bothered with individuals when playing dwarf fortress other than in the "do I have x skillset available" sense. Factorio doesn't have any characters at all but I'd certainly characterise it as a base builder. Whether you pay attention to individuals is a lot to do with your playstyle necessarily than the game and there are games with no characters at all that still qualify.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

7DTD always comes up and I keep wanting to like it.

Here is what I want:

A third or first person perspective.
One central area to build.
The ability to build/create turrets or NPCs that will protect the base.
Waves of baddies that show up from time to time.

I don't even care about exploration. I just want to make a crazy fortress.

Basically what FO4 promised, haha.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Inzombiac posted:

7DTD always comes up and I keep wanting to like it.

Here is what I want:

A third or first person perspective.
One central area to build.
The ability to build/create turrets or NPCs that will protect the base.
Waves of baddies that show up from time to time.

I don't even care about exploration. I just want to make a crazy fortress.

Basically what FO4 promised, haha.

Honestly I'd really like literally just minecraft but with more of a focus on combat.

My ideal would be something like minecraft but with the weapon system simulation of From The Depths.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

A guy named Raptor does a lot of videos on games like this, and lately so has Colonel Failure, kind of.

What do you guys say the difference between a base builder and a city builder is? In particular, I’d be interested in the categorization of these two as an example: Anno 1800 and Foundation.

Wow I kept that window open a while.

in my own mental taxonomy you have city builders, village builders, and base builders. the main points on this spectrum are the level to which agents are represented in your game

mapgames - too high level to exist on this spectrum, entirely about pops, maps are global, buildings are abstract. europa universalis, civ, etc.

city builders - very high level, agents often entirely abstracted at the population level, buildings are placed concretely but possibly more in zones than by hand. gameplay takes place over large areas. resource extraction may or may not be present. examples: simcity, cities skylines, arguably anno, arguably frostpunk

village builders - medium level, agents are present and do things, nearly all buildings are placed by hand, map focus is smaller. tropico, anno straddles this category, startopia, surviving mars, banished

base builders - small level, agents and their individual needs are as important as resources, maps are very small scale. evil genius, prison architect, rimworld, probably dwarf fortress

building sims - too low level to exist on this spectrum, if agents exist they are the player or controlled by the player. minecraft, the sims, the guild, etc.

Volmarias posted:

So where do logistics focused games come in? Workers and Resources: Soviet Republic is extremely my jam even though it's still somewhat early access. While it has populations, you're still effectively directing agents in the form of vehicles and building the infrastructure (for them to build the infrastructure etc). Is Tropico a base builder?

i'd call workers and resources a european style village builder, where european style games like anno or the settlers are real fiddly about production chains and logistics. if you go too far down this road you don't have a building game anymore and it's just a logistics sim like transport tycoon

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 22, 2019

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

theres a fairly extensive list of base builders here

https://old.reddit.com/r/BaseBuildingGames/wiki/index

the main issue with the genre in my experience is lots and lots of half finished games forever coasting in early access and when they release they tend to be disappointments (they are billions is a recent example)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Isn't... they are billions supposed to be quite good?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the randomly generated survival maps were fun, the campaign they spend a year hyping up was terrible

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

This is my jam, these type of games and 'Set them up and watch them go' games, which I can't even begin to describe really. Thanks for making this thread!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A small and simple one but Dig Or Die isn't a bad game, I'd probably categorize it as being a bit like terraria with a tower defence style element, and a bit of a puzzle element too with you trying to build structures to get places and also to defend your base against enemies that get harder as you progress past milestones in the world.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Phrosphor posted:

This is my jam, these type of games and 'Set them up and watch them go' games, which I can't even begin to describe really. Thanks for making this thread!

Sure thing :) A bunch of smaller indie base builders came out this past week and I was thinking a mega thread made way more sense than starting multiple threads that would simply die away. The biggest of those by the way is [url=https://store.steampowered.com/app/979120/Autonauts/]Autonauts[/ur]. I started on it, but the teaching of the programming didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I'll go back to it later and see if I grok it better.

I've been considering it more and I do think there should be a separate city building megathread. It's funny I think going from base building to city building makes more organic sense than going from city building to base building if that makes sense. Like I was saying I don't think someone who really liked Cities Skylines is going to necessarily like Minecraft et al at all. But I could see easily going from Minecraft to Cities Skylines.

Also one note, I'm not mentioning whether or not a game is in Early Access. I'd rather people evaluate the games on where they are at the moment vs the labels the devs have put on them. Factorio is in 'early access' but it's already sold over a million copies. Whereas Stonehearth, they admitted that they 'released' it and it wasn't done. And you can that tell other games have been 'released' in a poor state as well. So I don't want to get caught up in labels because that won't help anyone who wants to play a game they'd enjoy. Most of my 1,000+ hours of Oxygen Not Included for example were spent when the game was in early access and I'm sure there are players of Factorio who are in the five digits in hours played.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Mayveena posted:

Autonauts. I started on it, but the teaching of the programming didn't make a lot of sense to me, so I'll go back to it later and see if I grok it better.

Ayy, I'm not a programmer, and I just started playing that game a couple of days ago but I must have put in like 30 hours by now. If you've got any questions or problems that keep coming up share them and I hope we can get you going because so far the game really scratches that brain itch that makes you look up and 3 hours have passed.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly I'd really like literally just minecraft but with more of a focus on combat.
Dragon Quest Builders 2

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

a7m2 posted:

Dragon Quest Builders 2

That does look sort of interesting but I don't own any consoles :)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

That does look sort of interesting but I don't own any consoles :)

Yes it's unfortunate they didn't port it to Steam like they did with Dragon Quest XI. Maybe they will sometime in the future, it's a great base builder.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Factory town has sucked up a good amount of hours and I highly recommend it if you like factorio et al.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

Is there anything more modern that plays like Evil Genius? I adored that game back in the day, but when I tried it recently it was rather clunky

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Naylenas posted:

Is there anything more modern that plays like Evil Genius? I adored that game back in the day, but when I tried it recently it was rather clunky

They're making a sequel if you didn't already know.

Naylenas
Sep 11, 2003

I was out of my head so it was out of my hands

OwlFancier posted:

They're making a sequel if you didn't already know.

Oh my poo poo that looks fantastic

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, I'm mad looking forward to the Evil Genius and Destroy All Humans rebuilds.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Naylenas posted:

It depends on what you liked about Evil Genius. There aren't really any other supervillian simulators set in a '60s bond movie(except for the sequel mentioned above). Evil Genius's actual gameplay was inspired by Dungeon Keeper and there are few modern remakes of that like War for the Overworld and Dungeons 3.

If you liked defending a base that had its own needs that required constant visitors and traders and balancing that with security you can try something like Rimworld or Dwarf Fortress

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Subnautica is probably my favorite of the OP, although I think I have the most hours in Rimworld.

Jumping on the 7DTD :bandwagon: and adding my 2cents by saying Ark: Survival Evolved, The Forest, and Conan: Exiles need to be in the OP. Perhaps some classics (still available on GoG!) like Dungeon Keeper 2 should be on the list?

Speaking of all of these games, one of my favorite YouTube channels is right in this demographic: Neebs Gaming. Half Let's Play and half Machinama, most of their on-going series are base-building games (Minecraft, Ark, 7DTD) and they have featured Subnautica and Satisfactory in limited runs. Highly recommended as unwinding media!
:tviv:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Ark is literally over a hundred bucks for me, so no.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

You're right, it shouldn't be in the OP because it's too expensive for you.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Is Frostpunk any good?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

It's pretty good, the Aesthetic is more gorgeous than anything shorn of greenery should be. It also gives you the choice between easy building and hard murder so you can play as you like.

The fact that the narrative tries to guilt-trip you when you start making Order/Faith laws is stupid as hell, though. Considering that the alternative to an orderly society in this scenario is human extinction? Sure, tell me I'm evil for asking people to root out others who hid collective supplies for personal use.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Well, it IS possible to create a satanic communist terror society, yes?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Sssort of. I mean, it's Communist by virtue that there's no way to produce excess (Until Automatons, but that's basically post-scarcity anyway) and the commune never exceeds three digits.

Satanic not so much. Cannibal possibly. Terror maybe. But definitely society.

I just got miffed that creating an intelligence network (During a time when a sizable portion of your population is being subverted to do a suicide run out of panic) is considered to be "Crossing the line", but sex slavery isn't.

In more base-building matters, Green Hell is pretty cool. It's The Long Dark, only in the Amazon jungle - more mobs trying to kill you, but also more weapons to defend yourself with and no environmental hazards besides everything being concealed by water and foliage and crepuscular gloom. You also get to build a base, as opposed to shivering on some stranger's toilet.

Hell, the oh-so-friendly natives are kind enough to start singing very loudly when they're about to ambush you.

Tias
May 25, 2008

That sounds deliciously horrible!

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Or you could go down the Faith path and Jonestown humanity to its doom. Either or.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Frost punk is a good fun game, and alot of what Warped is saying is done through the book of laws, you can choose not to pick certain laws, but for a first successful play through of the main campaign you probably are going to tilt deep into religious or the all seeing state of crazy.

It is also made by the same guys that made this war of mine, so yeah it will be pretty depressing

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, Frostpunk is pretty great. I play it during summer when it's hot, the atmosphere really cools you down.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

I didn't play Frostpunk, do you folks think it's a base builder or more of a village style game?

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Village since the only threat is the climate around you, even some of the later laws that say this will kill 1/3 1/4 of your population happens instantly, or not building troops, your recruiting scouts to comb the frostland before blizzards hit, and outside of main campaign your not setting up outposts

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Speaking of all of these games, one of my favorite YouTube channels is right in this demographic: Neebs Gaming.

I went to his page and didn't get any kind of a real base building vibe so I didn't add him, sorry.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Stevefin posted:

Village since the only threat is the climate around you, even some of the later laws that say this will kill 1/3 1/4 of your population happens instantly, or not building troops, your recruiting scouts to comb the frostland before blizzards hit, and outside of main campaign your not setting up outposts

OK I'll be sure to add it to the City/Village Megathread when I make it. Which will be when this one kind of settles down and folks are happy or at least satisfied with this OP.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Actually, does anyone have recommendations for good mobile games anywhere around these lists?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Are the multiplayer survival base builders (Ark, Conan, 7dtd) still worth playing if you only intend to play single player?