Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Any love for the really old school builders like Impression Games series? (Caesar, Zeus, Cleopatra, etc...) I'd buy those on a Friday night and next thing I knew it was time to go to work on monday! I really liked the resource and trade walk management of those games and feel nothing has come close since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Hughlander posted:

Any love for the really old school builders like Impression Games series? (Caesar, Zeus, Cleopatra, etc...) I'd buy those on a Friday night and next thing I knew it was time to go to work on monday! I really liked the resource and trade walk management of those games and feel nothing has come close since.

I'll include them in the city building mega thread. GamerZakh is really good with them if you want to watch some vids.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Hughlander posted:

Lethis Path of Progress is just those games reskinned. Maps have different resources and some things you just can't build so you have to trade but it's super simple the core game is making the service paths.

Only problem is there's way too many maps that are pretty much the same thing with slight tweaks.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Hughlander posted:

Children of the Nile is an improvement on those but its also an opaque game so read a guide

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

esquilax posted:

Are the multiplayer survival base builders (Ark, Conan, 7dtd) still worth playing if you only intend to play single player?

I can only speak about 7Days but it's a lot of fun solo, the latest dev version you can opt into has some nice improvements a solo player can appreciate too.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Been getting excited for the new Evil Genius 2. I want to rule the world.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
I just want you guys to know about my favorite base building survival game. It's called "Haven and Hearth" and it's free, online (single shard), has PVP, perma-death, and cosmetic-only micro transactions.

It very much reminds me of EVE due to its emergent style and depth. I love how the crafting system works, where you unlock all related recipes just by discovering a new material for the first time, and how you build your character by exploring the world around you. You can build a tiny hermit outpost, a respectable farming homestead, or if you work with others you can build an entire village or realm. There are a lot of possibilities here.

Seriously check it out, I think way more people would play this game if they knew about it. It's a two-man operation including graphics, sound, design, etc, but all are done very well considering. If you get stuck, check out the wiki. Also the whole server is wiped every couple years to allow new features and to start everyone back on even-footing.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/about

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Are there any decent space ship/base builders, in space preferably? Not anything horribly grindy like Empyrion.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

I just want you guys to know about my favorite base building survival game. It's called "Haven and Hearth" and it's free, online (single shard), has PVP, perma-death, and cosmetic-only micro transactions.

It very much reminds me of EVE due to its emergent style and depth. I love how the crafting system works, where you unlock all related recipes just by discovering a new material for the first time, and how you build your character by exploring the world around you. You can build a tiny hermit outpost, a respectable farming homestead, or if you work with others you can build an entire village or realm. There are a lot of possibilities here.

Seriously check it out, I think way more people would play this game if they knew about it. It's a two-man operation including graphics, sound, design, etc, but all are done very well considering. If you get stuck, check out the wiki. Also the whole server is wiped every couple years to allow new features and to start everyone back on even-footing.

http://www.havenandhearth.com/portal/about

wow, I can't believe this still exists. I played it a lot back in the day.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Oct 22, 2019

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Actually, does anyone have recommendations for good mobile games anywhere around these lists?

This is for android, and sorry I'm mobile posting so I dont have links

Mindustry (Mentioned in this thread)
Quarry (Simplified Factorio, has a Demo)
Terraria
Stardew Valley
Dont Starve
Rebuild (1-3)

Poil posted:

Are there any decent space ship/base builders, in space preferably? Not anything horribly grindy like Empyrion.

Startopia, one of the greatest games in the history of games

Kris xK fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 22, 2019

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Poil posted:

Have you heard of breathedge?

It's like subnautica in space. It's early access and there are only 3 of the 5 planned chapters out yet, but it's already really good.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Kris xK posted:

Startopia, one of the greatest games in the history of games
Played it a lot but it's not really building a space station as much as plopping down buildings inside a complete station. :v:

Pigbottom posted:

It's like subnautica in space. It's early access and there are only 3 of the 5 planned chapters out yet, but it's already really good.
Thanks but I found subnautica to be completely uninteresting.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Raft is a pretty good game in that nearly all the gameplay takes place on your "base", a raft floating in the ocean, with occasional pit stops on islands to pick up things like clay/sand/metal, and a hungry shark constantly harassing you. Early access and the next build looks to add some big stuff.

Closest analogy I can think of might be skyblock maps in modded minecraft.

President Ark fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 22, 2019

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Pigbottom posted:

I, on the other hand, found Subnautica to be very interesting and think I might give this a try.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Holy poo poo someone should have warned me about Frostpunk. It's great but it's also made by 11 bit studious and so horribly difficult :ohno:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

keep at it! theres basically a few tricks to frostpunk and once you get those it gets very easy at all but the hardest difficulty

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kris xK posted:

Quarry (Simplified Factorio, has a Demo)

Thanks. There's a gazillion things named quarry on the play store, do you have a link?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Would you guys consider Oxygen not Included a base building game?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pigbottom posted:

Would you guys consider Oxygen not Included a base building game?

It's in the OP.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Startopia is really only fun for about 2 games, the station is just the same every time which kinda brings the game down

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Would you guys say Kenshi is a base building game? I sure know i spend most of my time building a base in there.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

I also want to suggest KeeperRL to people in this thread. Sorta like dungeon keeper. Dig out a dungeon, recruit goblins and orcs. Kill people to level up so you can learn more ways to summon better monsters.

Early Access but it has got all its parts in there to make it a fun game. There should be a better term for "in early access but is pretty much a complete game"

Hihohe fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Oct 23, 2019

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Kenshi is awesome and I had to uninstall it because I need to focus on work and school.

What I really like is games that allow you to base build in order to supply and train raiders to then attack other bases. I was training up an army of ninja robots to exterminate the Holy Nation and having a blast raiding, kidnapping and executing holy nation prisoners in my gladiator pit.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

If you recommend an early access game just be sure it’s good 'as is' not 'as it will/could be'. Other than that, feel free.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

Kenshi is awesome and I had to uninstall it because I need to focus on work and school.

What I really like is games that allow you to base build in order to supply and train raiders to then attack other bases. I was training up an army of ninja robots to exterminate the Holy Nation and having a blast raiding, kidnapping and executing holy nation prisoners in my gladiator pit.

How different is Kenshi from Rimworld?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mayveena posted:

How different is Kenshi from Rimworld?

Very

Kenshi is about getting your rear end stomped in, repeatedly, before you get to stomp in other people's asses, and has a massive amount of back lore and inter party conversation. Rimworld is about base building with occasional travel while Kenshi makes base building a later game thing.

Rimworld also lets you reach the heights of interstellar travel, while Kenshi only lets you go from barely scratching out a Post Apocalyptic living to Making Bartertown (but the wandering merchants don't always work right)

Edit: there's a semi active LP right now

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Oct 23, 2019

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Yeah kenshi isnt about making your guys happy. Its about kitting them out and training them to stomp rear end and then getting stomped anyway because gently caress why are the cannibals and the shek coming at the same time.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Hihohe posted:

Yeah kenshi isnt about making your guys happy. Its about kitting them out and training them to stomp rear end and then getting stomped anyway because gently caress why are the cannibals and the shek coming at the same time.

Doesn’t sound like the focus is base building.

Doji Sekushi
Dec 26, 2006

HI
I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but 7 Days to Die is on sale for the odd price of $7.64 on the Humble Store.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Mayveena posted:

The Main focus isnt base building, but you are able to build a large base when you can farm to feed your troops, training areas, base defense, researchers for new weapons/defense/buildings, hash production for large amounts of money.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Oct 23, 2019

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Mayveena posted:

The game is distinctly weird and doesn't totally conform to genres. Building a base is optional but can absolutely be the main focus.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

Startopia is really only fun for about 2 games, the station is just the same every time which kinda brings the game down

it was in that weird 2000s mindset of "we don't need great AI or a single player campaign, we have ~multiplayer~"

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

How is that any different from today?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
even the multiplayer is bad today

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Nilaus (Twitch | YouTube) is a fantastic streamer who specializes in Factorio, but also has done a lot with Satisfactory and Oxygen Not Included. Dude's actual career is as a logistical manager in Europe, so he has a very different sort of sensibilities from any number of other players.

On a completely different note:

I cannot fathom why you've included Stardew Valley in this category; there's a whole category of farming games (e.g., Harvest Moon, Animal Crossing) that don't exactly have any sort of focus on building any sort of logistical nexus. For that matter, Terraria nominally has base building--which is more important than in Stardew!--and that game is hardly one I would consider a base builder.

My personal understanding of base building games involves creating some apparatus to automate things to let the player progress to ever more complex undertakings. Anno is more like a base builder than a city builder (virtually every thing the player does involves supply chain management and logistics, rather than zoning and traffic patterns), but that doesn't conform I guess? The genre identified for this thread is unclear, at best.

Some noteworthy recommendations, though; gonna take a hard look into Raft.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Volmarias posted:

Actually, does anyone have recommendations for good mobile games anywhere around these lists?

Closest I can think of is some of Kairosoft's stuff, but that's a somewhat tenuous recommendation. I'm sure there's better examples out there. Likely ports of older games already mentioned floating around, too.

Mayveena posted:

Kenshi is... different. I'd argue it warrants inclusion with the caveat that base building is one part that you can engage with more-or-less to the exact degree you want, but if you go in hard, it for sure fits the genre. Basically you're right, it's absolutely not - unless you want it to be, in which case it absolutely is.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Hihohe posted:

I also want to suggest KeeperRL to people in this thread. Sorta like dungeon keeper. Dig out a dungeon, recruit goblins and orcs. Kill people to level up so you can learn more ways to summon better monsters.

Early Access but it has got all its parts in there to make it a fun game. There should be a better term for "in early access but is pretty much a complete game"

This looks like my poo poo, gonna keep an eye on it. Thankee.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

Just to be very clear for anyone who might be interested: this is a PvP game, and you will get your poo poo raided while you're offline. And you'll pray the raid happens while you're offline because they'll stab you in the face if you happen to be online and it's permadeath.

If you're cool with that, it's a cool game. There's no way a newbie joining a world late can hold out against established villages however, particularly the raiding factions that farm alts for the sole purpose of covering their tracks. It's a massive overworld so they won't find you right away, but security through obscurity doesn't last forever.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Poil posted:

stationeers is exactly this and it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

isndl posted:

Just to be very clear for anyone who might be interested: this is a PvP game, and you will get your poo poo raided while you're offline. And you'll pray the raid happens while you're offline because they'll stab you in the face if you happen to be online and it's permadeath.

If you're cool with that, it's a cool game. There's no way a newbie joining a world late can hold out against established villages however, particularly the raiding factions that farm alts for the sole purpose of covering their tracks. It's a massive overworld so they won't find you right away, but security through obscurity doesn't last forever.

Not sure when you last played, but the game has changed somewhat over time, though what youre describing sounds like my first experience with the game many years ago. For example, now you can no longer get PVP'd to death until you train the Rage skill (allowing you to both kill and be killed in PVP). Also, walls are much easier to build and harder to destroy or bypass. I played the most recent world (world 10) with my gf with a base WITHOUT walls, and not only were we never raided, but as far as I know we never had anyone steal from us (except for one guy who destroyed a fence we built because it was in the way of a highway he had already built prior to us setting up there). The same goes for the current world so far.

You are correct in your emphasis that this can very well be one of the most brutal, open-world survival PVP games though, but if you are a new player who wants to strike out on their own and focus only on PVE, then it's very easy to do that now. Or you could always just join an established village (but I find that boring).

Another nice thing about playing/starting the game with a friend is while the world is very large, there is a system in place where new characters can spawn at an existing player using a password system. This makes it very easy for friends to get started on surviving and building and overall just being forest hobos together.