Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Is there a recommended management game for someone newer to the genre? I see factorio recommended a lot, but it seems fairly dense.

If you want something similar to Factorio you could look at Mindustry, a tower defense game which has very similar logistics but without the complex research trees. Factorio might do a better job of teaching the player good principles for the two games though, since the focus is entirely on enacting those principles.

Other games to consider where logistics are not the focus:
Kingdoms & Castles - A cute and extremely chill town building game.
Rimworld - It's like sci-fi Dwarf Fortress but on a 2d grid and playable without memorizing a million key combos. If you don't have context for that: Rimworld is a game where you build a fort for some little dudes with very detailed lives and try to save them from both the hostile world and themselves as they throw violent temper tantrums over having to eat gruel or watching their husband die of an infected gunshot wound. Death spirals are a feature so expect to start over a lot, but it's a decent entry point for anybody who's fine with playing a game where they'll lose a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
It's also not very well optimized and you reach a point where you're just waiting for stuff to complete but setting the game speed to 4x just reduces your frame rate to 1/4th normal and doesn't actually run any faster

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Arcturas posted:

Anyone have advice on getting started in Factorio? I've never actually played it and figured I'd poke around a little bit since I've started watching KoS's Entry Level to Megabase youtube series. I don't mind a few mods to start with, but I'd like to avoid anything that's too tricky to setup or that'll change the vanilla experience a lot.

No mods necessary. If you're watching a youtube series you already have more than enough information too, only thing I can think of that's important but easy to overlook is that you can copy/paste building settings with shift+right click and shift+left click.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I don't trust taxis made by carpenters tbh

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

SkyeAuroline posted:

I own it and played it for a bit. Wasn't really fond of it at all, very shallow and its design roots show. Don't really regret spending money in it but I haven't found a reason to go back to it yet.

I guess it's fair to call it shallow by the standards of this thread but by most standards I don't think it is :v:

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

totalnewbie posted:

Maybe you can add some broad tags? e.g. add logistics tag to Anno

In that way, you can tag games casual (Transport Fever 2) or serious business (OpenTTD)

This sounds overcomplicated to me. If you want to have games identifiable as newbie/casual friendly you could just bold them in the list or something, but anything more granular seems like it would better served by just letting people post in the thread asking if there's something that fits what they want?

e: I do think specific notes on games are fine though, like the early access tags and something for ACS like "(This poo poo makes no sense at first if you aren't familiar with a specific genre of Chinese pulp fiction)"

Count Uvula fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 1, 2021

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
I think the star choices are fine. I don't even like Rimworld but it should probably get a star over DF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Watch out guys productivity is down like 80% in this thread, if it gets any worse the inhabitants could spend so long on thinking about asterisks that we all starve to death before the task is done