Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

EconDad posted:

I could have sworn that Crash man was called Clash man when I was a kid.

I'm sure he wasn't -- but that's my story for today. And it's a fuckin' good one.

He's both, even Capcom can't decide

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

realizing I never gave much thought to the first FF’s story now

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

kirbysuperstar posted:

He's both, even Capcom can't decide

Oh poo poo... in the manual he IS Clash Man. I thought I was having one of those Mandela moments or whatever they're called.

---

Also, I think it would have been better in the original Mega Man if they had stuck to their original plan. That plan was thinking of one robot (Cut Man) and then... just... rhyming with that sort of and/or naming things almost exactly the same.

"ah... what's sorta like... Cut... ah... Gut? Guts?... okay let's go with Guts"

Hut Man. Shut Man (shuts doors in your face). But(t) Man (I think you know what he does), etc.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Randalor posted:

I'm not sure if this changes anything, but checking the original game's text dump, the line from Garland about the loop is:

I THINK the idea is that Chaos' plan is that originally, the four Fiends existed regardless of the loop itself, and sent Garland back into the past, where their past versions make him into Chaos, at which point he sends them forward in time (presumably they were weaker in the original timeline?) So they can drain the orbs and send Garland back and making the time loop proper, while Chaos waits 2001+ years until after the Light Warriors go into the past and emerges to rule a now-drained world. Except that after enough cycles (we'll say "quantum mechanics and keeping Sky Warriors as bats instead of killing them changed something".

Again, though, this doesn't cause a loop. It just causes one timeline to be replaced with another one: The first one is 'Fiends 2000 years ago, Garland dies, Light Warriors assembled to rescue a princess I guess', then the Fiends pull Garland back, which creates the new timeline of :Fiends make Chaos, Chaos sends Fiends 1600 years forward, Fiends make trouble for 400 years, Light Warriors assemble to renew the orbs, kill Garland so that causes the initial events to match up, kill current day fiends, go back in time, die?' If the Light Warriors kill the Fiends in the past and Chaos, then we get the ending of the game where the original timeline re-asserts itself but things are even better because there's no Fiends at all in the past any more scheming poo poo (The heroes meet Garland again, and it seems now he's a good guy). If they die to the Fiends or Chaos, then it's 'Chaos emerges 2001 years later, revives the Fiends, or maybe not, and then rules/destroys the world'. Basically, I don't see how this causes events to get into a repeating pattern until one group finally DOES defeat Chaos.

A time loop, by my estimation, works more like say, the plot of the DC Comic maxiseries 52. At a point near the start of the book, we see (what turns out to be) the main villain briefly being captured. We don't know why the villain is in such a state, he just is. Offscreen, he escapes, and does stuff hidden throughout the series until he emerges to get a gigantic power up and gains the power to feed on reality. There's a big time and space crunch as he is defeated, physics and time go wackadoo, and when it's over the depowered villain has been thrown back in time, where he's found and captured. That's how he got there, and hence now he's in a loop of 'crash down with amnesia and no power, wake up offscreen, do a bunch of evil planning, get immense power, fall to the heroes, get thrown back in time with no power and crash down, getting amnesia as he's captured' and so he will proceed forever now.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cornwind Evil posted:

Again, though, this doesn't cause a loop. It just causes one timeline to be replaced with another one: The first one is 'Fiends 2000 years ago, Garland dies, Light Warriors assembled to rescue a princess I guess', then the Fiends pull Garland back, which creates the new timeline of :Fiends make Chaos, Chaos sends Fiends 1600 years forward, Fiends make trouble for 400 years, Light Warriors assemble to renew the orbs, kill Garland so that causes the initial events to match up, kill current day fiends, go back in time, die?' If the Light Warriors kill the Fiends in the past and Chaos, then we get the ending of the game where the original timeline re-asserts itself but things are even better because there's no Fiends at all in the past any more scheming poo poo (The heroes meet Garland again, and it seems now he's a good guy). If they die to the Fiends or Chaos, then it's 'Chaos emerges 2001 years later, revives the Fiends, or maybe not, and then rules/destroys the world'. Basically, I don't see how this causes events to get into a repeating pattern until one group finally DOES defeat Chaos.

Well, no, it is is a loop because the cycle repeated itself an unknown number of times before it was finally broken. Really, the bigger question is "how did the people inside the time loop know that they were in a loop to begin with?" Because I'm pretty sure either the king or Sara tell you about the loop, even though from their perspective the events should have only happened once,

And even in your example, what happened to the original Mr Mind that was caught before the time loop started?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

EconDad posted:

I could have sworn that Crash man was called Clash man when I was a kid.

I'm sure he wasn't -- but that's my story for today. And it's a fuckin' good one.

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NABBE.pdf

And also in the JP version menu, but US-side "Clash Man" is just for some pages (but not others) in the manual.

e: oh there was a new page

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
His canonical name is Cash Man

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Mandoric posted:

https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NABBE.pdf

And also in the JP version menu, but US-side "Clash Man" is just for some pages (but not others) in the manual.

e: oh there was a new page

poo poo, for a second there I thoght I saw FISH man... but it's FLSH man.

The manual is so bad it's good.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

EconDad posted:

poo poo, for a second there I thoght I saw FISH man... but it's FLSH man.

The manual is so bad it's good.

Also... Captain Commando challenge series? What in the heck is all of this?

Dr. Spitesworth
Dec 31, 2007
Yoink.

EconDad posted:

Also... Captain Commando challenge series? What in the heck is all of this?

A short-lived U.S. marketing effort by Capcom to create a company mascot. I seem to recall that you could send in proofs of purchase and money to get CapCom merch. To my knowledge, the character was invented from thin air for this campaign, then became an actual game character years later, long after the "Challenge Series" schtick had ended. A weird quirk of video game history.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

FF1's plot being so confusingly complex despite despite having dramatically limited resources is a testament to the nature of Final Fantasy.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Dr. Spitesworth posted:

A short-lived U.S. marketing effort by Capcom to create a company mascot. I seem to recall that you could send in proofs of purchase and money to get CapCom merch. To my knowledge, the character was invented from thin air for this campaign, then became an actual game character years later, long after the "Challenge Series" schtick had ended. A weird quirk of video game history.

It didn't even get that much respect, IIRC, Akiman's tweeted about how Capcom USA came up with the name and that much was accepted at HQ but as for anything else he fixed the design and wishes now he'd fixed it harder.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
I figured out what was happening in the arcade game Snacks'n Jaxson.

I just don't like it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Coffee Jones posted:

I figured out what was happening in the arcade game Snacks'n Jaxson.

I just don't like it.

Actually, you love it

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mandoric posted:

It didn't even get that much respect, IIRC, Akiman's tweeted about how Capcom USA came up with the name and that much was accepted at HQ but as for anything else he fixed the design and wishes now he'd fixed it harder.

That reminds, was this in between design from Japan or another US attempt (from the Bionic Commando manual)? I'm mean I'm assuming it's a US one because lmao

The Bionic Commando manual in general really puzzled me as a kid, "Can shoot in eight directions, wave wires." ???????? You can shoot in two directions and the arm can only be shot left/right/diagonally up/up so wtf

Also I remember there's a part where there's like five pages where it's just showing your map/inventory screen over and over again with slightly different/no text on each page lol

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
*Edit* Wrong thread.

Substandard fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 2, 2024

ShallowKnave
Sep 9, 2011
Fun Shoe
"Can shoot in eight directions, wave wires." describes the overhead sections taken from Commando.

Waffle Shake
Aug 24, 2015
You know who can't shoot in 8 directions? Joe. He must have been captured by the enemy because his gun would only fire sightly upwards over everyone's heads.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Gonna guess the weird blank map/inventory pages were for taking notes or keeping analog track of your progress.

Traveller
Jan 6, 2012

WHIM AND FOPPERY

I had no idea what to do in Romance of the Three Kingdoms and the best I managed in Nobunaga's Ambition was getting merked like a single turn in somehow. I should sit down and actually learn a Koei dadgame.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Gemfire was their console-focused, casual (by '80s SLG terms) intro to the genre. Maybe start with that?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mandoric posted:

Gemfire was their console-focused, casual (by '80s SLG terms) intro to the genre. Maybe start with that?

Genuinely, this is the most approachable of their classic style of games. You can hop in and be doing stuff in minutes instead of spending hours figuring out basic systems.

For a more recent option ("recent" meaning almost twenty years ago), Romance of the Three Kingdoms X used a completely different game system that I think is kind of neat. It's like a half step toward RPG as you wander China looking to make your fortune. Like a strategic Mount & Blade.

Fighting Elegy
Jan 2, 2007
I do not masturbate; I FIGHT!
Just remembered one where I really had absolutely zero idea what was going on

Ogre Battle for ps1. I was excited to play it and when I got home I couldn't figure out a drat thing. I mean anything. I was just looking at a map and clicking on menus that did nothing. I feel like I tried a few times over the next two years, each time I was never able to start playing. I would see screenshots of battles but never could start them. I guess I expected a typical JRPG that starts with your mom waking you up and telling you where to go. Might be time to check it out again and actually play it.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Ogre Battle's great, if a bit obtuse. I'd recommend the SNES version though.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

The JP Saturn port is supposedly the definitive version, and it has been fan-patched to English as of 2022. Same with JP Saturn Tactics Ogre, it got a patch last year.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Looking at this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DmOktoA3eQ
Apparently the SNES/SFC english patch bugs out and corrupts saves.

Always wondered what this "Hermit ver 1.3" referred to when you turn on the SFC version. Is it the graphical engine? Some sort of data access technology. Are we talking data blocks, or isometric blocks in-game?

Regarding playability - don't these have tutorial modes? Explaining gameplay is a bit much to ask from a printed manual.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yeah I wouldn't recommend a patch for Tactics Ogre SFC. That's bound to end in failure.

Between PSX and SNES Ogre Battle though, I think SNES has the advantage. Couldn't say anything about the Saturn version though so it's cool if it has the PSX additions without the issues.

Ogre Battle at least has a tutorial once you get into the first map. Enough to get the basics anyways.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
It's neat how so much of the team went from Tactics Ogre to work on (pretty safe top 500 of all time) Final Fantasy Tactics.
So listing to Ogre Battle's soundtrack is bit like listening to a SNES rendition of Final Fantasy Tactics bombastic af soundtrack.

FFT
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGs3ppf8cLk

TO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rk782KbCmk&t=17s

e: there's tracks that sound a bit more similar, but y'all know what I mean.

Still - love FFT's leitmotif

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Feb 7, 2024

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Coffee Jones posted:

Always wondered what this "Hermit ver 1.3" referred to when you turn on the SFC version. Is it the graphical engine? Some sort of data access technology. Are we talking data blocks, or isometric blocks in-game?

According to a recent JP-language interview, HERMIT was the in-house development toolset Quest put together for Sharp X68000 to develop the content for Tactics Ogre, with a particular emphasis on constructing isometric maps efficiently and in a way that could get the most detail out of the SNES.

The "MAX 19,000 Block/Sec" is apparently a reference to the number of grid tiles on the map (including tiles stacked on top of each other), and that + the version number were apparently just kinda thrown on to be more than a logo. Climax Entertainment's games like Landstalker would have engine/system logos on startup or in the credits, so this was apparently kind of a response to that. :v:

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

And we had to share it!
Oh. poo poo. Thank you. I should have searched for "タクティクスオウガ" instead of "Tactics Ogre" :doh:
This interview is GOLD!

Oof. A combination of machine translation and japanese programmer jargon makes this a little hard to parse.
What we call isometric, this translation was calling it quarter-view. They refer to background 'tiles' as 'chips'.
And it seems like a real bitch to work with a console that's built around flat 2d tiles and having to do design and layout of 3d blocks.

They mention 200 screens in the game.... that tracks. ZX Spectrum developers developed some HUGE isometric games running out of 48k of storage.

Interesting bit about sprite limitations and not updating animations every frame. It's a tactical RPG, so that's fine. They reference MegaDrive Gauntlet which plays similar games with updates in-order to cram the screen full of enemies..

Okay I've derailed this thread enough. :)

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
When I was in high school a friend of mine played N64 Ogre Battle, I believe. He would call it "Org battle"... and I eventually had to be like..."ah... it's pronounced Ogre".

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

EconDad posted:

When I was in high school a friend of mine played N64 Ogre Battle, I believe. He would call it "Org battle"... and I eventually had to be like..."ah... it's pronounced Ogre".

Man when I was a kid, my best friend kept pronouncing “plague” like “pla-goo” (rhymes with Mr Magoo) and I couldn’t figure out what the hell he was talking about till we were playing diablo one day. I corrected him and his mom told me off because “some people find it rude to correct their pronunciations”. I still can’t understand what was going on in her head.

E: just to be clear, they were English native speakers.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

madmatt112 posted:

Man when I was a kid, my best friend kept pronouncing “plague” like “pla-goo” (rhymes with Mr Magoo) and I couldn’t figure out what the hell he was talking about till we were playing diablo one day. I corrected him and his mom told me off because “some people find it rude to correct their pronunciations”. I still can’t understand what was going on in her head.

What was going on in her head was extreme embarrassment that she also had been pronouncing it wrong, and she needed to bring you down for pointing it out.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

madmatt112 posted:

Speaking of pla-gue and games where I have no idea what's happening
https://youtu.be/Vpuv7VPb2rA?si=G34Z8SSAIPh4JaWq

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It is dark. You are likely to be eaten by a plague.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Cornwind Evil posted:

One of my late night ponderings is tied to this thread: I cannot make any sense out of the plot of Final Fantasy 1 and its time loop, then AND now.

It's not really that complicated, it just seems like it is because the game dumps a lot of extraneous details on you and uses more time travel than is strictly necessary to understand that part of the plot.

The "time loop" merely describes a Terminator-style predestination paradox in which Garland's trip to the past and the Fiends' trip to the future mutually cause each other. Forget everything else, that's literally it as far as the "loop" goes: Garland goes back, sends Fiends forward who sends Garland back, etc.

The only part the Light Warriors factor into it is that their rescue of Princess Sara from Garland's clutches is what primarily motivates him to send the Fiends forward in time to gently caress their poo poo up.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

The "time loop" merely describes a Terminator-style predestination paradox in which Garland's trip to the past and the Fiends' trip to the future mutually cause each other. Forget everything else, that's literally it as far as the "loop" goes: Garland goes back, sends Fiends forward who sends Garland back, etc.

The only part the Light Warriors factor into it is that their rescue of Princess Sara from Garland's clutches is what primarily motivates him to send the Fiends forward in time to gently caress their poo poo up.

Hey now, the Light Warriors also factor into it by... pulling a Terminator and going into the past and stopping the humanFiend Resistance before they get sent to the future by killing the Fiends and Garland.

Eh, that was Terminator 3 that had John Connors future lieutenants killed, wasn't it? That may have been a poor analogy.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
Final fantasy origins stranger in paradise explains all of this very well. Just play that and don’t think too hard.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Your Uncle Dracula posted:

Final fantasy origins stranger in paradise explains all of this very well. Just play that and don’t think too hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

As a kid Miner 2049er on thr Gameboy made no sense to me, both in terms of context and gameplay. IIRC you couldn’t fall at all without dying which was really confusing coming from Super Mario Land.

Also the game was ugly as sin