Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
my favorite part of Obamacare is still the part where it requires that insurers give you a free preventive annual checkup...but if it finds anything, then it's no longer considered "preventive", and so the insurers are allowed to charge you for the checkup itself in addition to whatever treatment you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimov
Feb 15, 2016

I needed a root canal to fix a tooth. I had "reasonable" insurance from my private contractor job and went to my normal dentist, who quoted about $900 for the portion I was responsible for (I think that was 40% of the total).

Anyway I didn't have that kind of money so they handed me an application for Care credit (credit card) which made me lol. I got the card and fixed my tooth, but I don't think I was able to pay off the entire balance within the 12 month 0.0% APR financing period. I appreciated how the medical and insurance industry melded seamlessly into the credit card/finance sector. I felt like a real American that day.

Epilogue: years later I closed that dumb credit card which meant a small hit to the ol' credit score.

Padams
Jun 30, 2000

I Have the Power

to turn your property's lights off
I used to work a call center job for a company that clients would hire to basically act as an outsourced HR department/advocate to fight insurance companies on their employees behalf and explain benefits. Going through training for that job was enlightening as to how hosed the system is, never mind that the very existence of that job is hosed too since my job was basically a middleman to the middleman and help people navigate the extremely broken health insurance system. Or tell them why their company was making their benefits even shittier. But of course, since their employer was our client we had to frame their shafting in a positive way. “With this new plan you get access to a pre-tax HSA which when you reach retirement age you can withdraw money from tax-free!” Hope you don’t have expensive medications or a chronic health condition because your out of pocket maximum is now 6k instead of 1k!

The best part? Since I was working there through a temp agency I didn’t even have any benefits myself. And when I put in my two weeks notice they sent me home that same day. gently caress that place.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
i had a kidney stone that was too big to pass, and the doc made me pay at least a thousand bucks in advance to do a little procedure where they put me to sleep and pit something on my belly that sends shockwaves into the kidney to break up the stone.
then later i still got a $6 grand bill from the hospital, but i showed them i had no money left and they wrote it off

and i had union insurance

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

non-US people having health insurance explained to them from first principles as they get steadily more and more shocked is some of my favorite posting on this forum.

https://twitter.com/ioanmarcjones/status/1201842545724145664

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
I cancelled mine after the premium went up from whatever reasonable amount for crap insurance to asking over $350/mo for what amounts to essentially nothing.

I should have cancelled it years before when it started getting expensive, and when they insisted on sending my drugs through express scripts and getting name brands despite at least 5 complaints to everyone involved on the matter, because I didn't want to pay $120 a month for generic antidepressants.

They will not let me unsubscribe from their spam bot either, lol.

I'm scared and I want to go to the doctor and will never be able to again~

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Zvahl posted:

I'm scared and I want to go to the doctor and will never be able to again~
But under Sanders you can! :bernin:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Just got out of our open enrollment presentation. ugh.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

The Pussy Boss posted:

You all have my sympathy. I'm on Medicaid and I would be so so so hosed without it, like I'd have tens of thousands of dollars in debt already, plus I get to live with the constant worry that I will fill out a form wrong, or make too much money this month, and get thrown off it. And I'm one of the lucky ones.

I was on Medicaid during 2018 but then this year I started earning too much to qualify--not a lot more, but enough to push me over the woefully low threshold.

So I wrote (multiple) letters to the state and called (multiple times) reporting my change of income, because I knew I was going on Medicare Jan. 1 and I didn't want the state bucketing me into some Advantage plan for being a Poor or the state clawing back money I owed them.

I began this process in early September. I got a letter from the state dated Nov. 29 stating that my Medicaid was terminated effective Dec. 1. The problem? There was no way I could sign up for a 2019 marketplace plan for Dec. 2019, even with the Qualifying Life Event of having been dropped from Medicaid, because the marketplace simply isn't "agile" enough to enroll one in a plan for one month on two days' notice.

It seems like such a final gently caress-you to have to be forced to be uninsured, at the ripe old age of almost-65, for an entire month after carrying continuous individual insurance coverage since 2000. And you'd better believe I'm staying away from germ-carrying crowds and sick people till the clock strikes midnight for the new decade, at which time I'll officially have Socialized Medicine for Olds.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

my favorite part of Obamacare is still the part where it requires that insurers give you a free preventive annual checkup...but if it finds anything, then it's no longer considered "preventive", and so the insurers are allowed to charge you for the checkup itself in addition to whatever treatment you get

I remember a reader letter in response to some nyt healthcare story from a woman who'd been warned by a friend to not bring up any concerns during her "free" preventive visit. Then the doctor asked her something vague like "any problems with x?" and bc she answered yes the visit was coded as diagnostic and she had to pay full cost.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
access access ACCESS ACCESS

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

I remember a reader letter in response to some nyt healthcare story from a woman who'd been warned by a friend to not bring up any concerns during her "free" preventive visit. Then the doctor asked her something vague like "any problems with x?" and bc she answered yes the visit was coded as diagnostic and she had to pay full cost.

had she answered no. “well it checks out but maybe eat more apples? well here’s the door lol”

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

my insurance company has already sent me a card for next year but I keep getting emails from healthcare.gov saying my plan won’t be offered next year? idk I haven’t actually looked at the website and kind of have a mini panic attack every time I have to think about this bullshit. got a nice stack of voicemails I can’t bring myself to listen to as well... probably need to get some mental health treatment again but I’m pretty sick of trying different ssris that do nothing except make it so I can’t cum

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
My father had bed sores, caused by a stay in the only hospital in his shithole town. Note that he got a bed sore every time he went there. He never got a bed sore anywhere else, including when he was in the VA for a loving year. BTW, ever seen a stage 4 bed sore? Don't.

He had sepsis at least 3 times. The first time, the home health nurse found him passed out, and he got to the emergency room right before he would have otherwise died. The second, it started coming on when I was visiting him. I hauled him to the emergency room. They took him in and got to work on him shortly thereafter.

Anyway, they got my dad stabilized. That is to say, he wasn't going to die in the parking lot, but he still had sepsis. That's all they're obligated to do. If you can make it off the hospital grounds, their work is done. He'd be back on death's door within 12 hours if he didn't get admitted to the hospital. The hospital refused to admit him. I'm not exactly sure why. It was some uncertainty about his insurance. He'd been admitted there before, on the same policy (or whatever his current policy had evolved from) from the same company. But nope, he might not have exactly the right insurance, so the only hospital for 50 miles won't take him.

I have a suspicion that his insurance had nothing to do with it. I have a suspicion it's that they knew they caused his condition and they didn't want him dying on their premises. That the excuse was even plausible is almost as bad.

Regardless, I then had to drive him 200 miles to the VA hospital, where he knew they'd admit him.

Then, after a couple months in the VA, he was shopping around for a nursing home, where he thought he might have to go, and was surprised to learn that there did not exist one (except for the VA) which would not take his house, and all but 100 dollars per month of his income. (Bear in mind, he'd been living on borrowed time for years, and realistically didn't expect to be alive more than a year.) The VA would just take all but ~100 dollars per month of his income, but he wasn't sure he could get in. He was able to get a short stay in one when he wasn't quite stable enough to live at home, but he noped the gently caress out of long-term care. He went back home and had daily visits from the home health nurses (whose ears he would chew off about whatever the day's right wing media talking points were). The next time he got sepsis, I wasn't around, but he managed to get back to the VA. Hospice this time.

As far as I can determine, my family and I were the last people who ever spoke to him. The last thing he ever heard someone say to him was my daughter on the phone saying "I love you, Grandpa."

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

there's a congressional bill to outlaw surprise medical bills that's got wide bipartisan support and SURPRISE, chuckie schumer is blocking it:

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) hasn’t joined a House and Senate agreement on surprise billing legislation due to skepticism by Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.). Schumer is reportedly wary of legislation that hospitals in his home state of New York have said would shortchange them. Hospitals continue to oppose the measure — including the bipartisan agreement lawmakers announced over the weekend.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
the hospitals have the right to randomly charge sick people thousands of dollars out of the blue
:shuckyes:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but if they can't, why Costs Might Go Up

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but if they can't, why Costs Might Go Up

Wow, better do nothing, so that costs don't go up.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
I am so pleased with the status quo of stable and predictable medical bills. Best not to rock the boat.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

VideoTapir posted:

Wow, better do nothing, so that costs don't go up.

Narrator: Costs went up regardless.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- A record 25% of Americans say they or a family member put off treatment for a serious medical condition in the past year because of the cost, up from 19% a year ago and the highest in Gallup's trend. Another 8% said they or a family member put off treatment for a less serious condition, bringing the total percentage of households delaying care due to costs to 33%, tying the high from 2014.

Gallup first asked this question in 1991, at which time 22% reported that they or a family member delayed care for any kind of condition, including 11% for a serious condition. The figures were similar in the next update in 2001, and Gallup has since asked this question annually as part of its Health and Healthcare poll. This year's survey was conducted Nov. 1-14.

Americans' reports of family members delaying any sort of medical treatment for cost reasons were lower in the early to mid-2000s when closer to a quarter reported the problem. Since 2006, the rate has averaged 30%.

The pattern is similar for the subset of Americans postponing medical treatment for a serious condition. The rate rose from 12% in 2001 to an average of 19% since 2006. However, the current 25% is the highest yet, exceeding the prior high-point of 22% recorded in 2014.

Reports of delaying treatment for a serious condition jumped 13 percentage points in the past year to 36% among adults in households earning less than $40,000 per year while it was essentially flat (up a non statistically significant three points) among those in middle-income and higher-income households.

As a result of the spike in lower-income households this year, the gap between the top and bottom income groups for failure to seek treatment for a serious medical condition widened to 23 percentage points in 2019. The income gap had averaged 17 points in the early years of Barack Obama's presidency, but narrowed to an average 11 points in the first few years after implementation of the ACA, from 2015 to 2018.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/269138/americans-delaying-medical-treatment-due-cost.aspx

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

there's a congressional bill to outlaw surprise medical bills that's got wide bipartisan support and SURPRISE, chuckie schumer is blocking it:

Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.) hasn’t joined a House and Senate agreement on surprise billing legislation due to skepticism by Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.). Schumer is reportedly wary of legislation that hospitals in his home state of New York have said would shortchange them. Hospitals continue to oppose the measure — including the bipartisan agreement lawmakers announced over the weekend.

Chuck Schumer loves himself some collection agencies, this much I know for sure. Anything to funnel more money to them.

OK Boomer
Sep 2, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my wife started a healthcare access company in California as an agent, and now employs 4 people at $15 /hr while making less than minimum herself

business is exploding and she's had to hire back a couple folks. every single day she gets calls from people in tears and total meltdowns and all that's required is filling out an appeal form which is automatically approved with health insurance retroactively applied, or the lack of an affidavit of income (one page notepad.txt is fine) they don't tell you you need to submit before cancelling you in their database which only healthcare providers can see. Earlier today someone changed from silver to gold and the system decided that since the silver coverage had ended their coverage was totally terminated.h

I don't know but you shouldn't have to be versed in administrative law to have basic healthcare

this need shouldn't exist on the consumer level.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

SuccBot Circlejerk posted:

this need shouldn't exist on the consumer level.

But if that was the case, how could we justify scamming you with rules based on the hit game show, Numberwang?

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Congratulations to all UK residents who're going to get to deal with this poo poo too now. I'm in the CSPAM discord, DM me for tips on how to perform quick surgeries on yourself and others because you don't have even 5% of an $8000 deductible.

things i have done that i can help you with include:

--practical local anesthesia
--self-suturing
--drainage/excision
--burn care (1st and 2nd degree)
--splint manufacture and how to work a manual job while not fracturing your hand/wrist/arm worse than they already have been.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
the loving stupid exchange is STILL doing their bullshit about 'lets check with your state to make sure your kid won't get CHIP' thing to just make a million extra hoops

i'm nowhere near that cutoff and I know it and they know it. but instead, as per last year, I have to do the full application, wait for illinois to respond (which they didn't last year until late january), and had insurance reps assuring me on the phone that dont worry, any hospital visits will be paid for by insurance when they retroactively apply insurance to my kid and definitely, absolutely, won't completely gently caress me over on this

god DAMNit

at least they aren't requiring proof of future income like they did 2 years ago, that was a blast. well, they still can, since 2 years ago they asked for it in february or march or so

btw here's the current bronze plan, the only plan accepted (bronze/silver/gold all work) for my local hospital, for 2 30-40 year olds:
$770/mo, 16300 deductible/16300 oop max . lol. i think this might actually go up when the kid gets enrolled , too, but maybe not. doesn't really matter.

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Dec 14, 2019

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
I'm obligated to talk about a trans friend in the good ol days before trans rights and healthcare and all that jazz (you kids have it easy now).

She suffered such immense painful dysphoria that the safer alternative to her was to purchase a pig castrator off of Amazon and use it on herself.

She said it was the most painful thing she ever experienced, obviously. The thing about using this tool on a human as opposed to a pig though is, the balls don't atrophy and fall off like an over ripe orange no, they just shrink until they are the size of a pea and the rubber band slides off and the dead balls retract back up into the body.

Problem is now, it's very hard to get them out, and you can imagine having an atrophied organ inside your body is consistently painful.

I haven't seen her in years. I hope she's okay.

Dec 26, 2012

oh god

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MageMage posted:

I'm obligated to talk about a trans friend in the good ol days before trans rights and healthcare and all that jazz (you kids have it easy now).

She suffered such immense painful dysphoria that the safer alternative to her was to purchase a pig castrator off of Amazon and use it on herself.

She said it was the most painful thing she ever experienced, obviously. The thing about using this tool on a human as opposed to a pig though is, the balls don't atrophy and fall off like an over ripe orange no, they just shrink until they are the size of a pea and the rubber band slides off and the dead balls retract back up into the body.

Problem is now, it's very hard to get them out, and you can imagine having an atrophied organ inside your body is consistently painful.

I haven't seen her in years. I hope she's okay.

:stonk:

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:stare:
:barf:

wtf
you should try to find her again, i hope she's alive

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
at least this year i was smart enough to realize the difference between a plan I had to pay 140 a month for and a plan I pay literally zero for is "I'll still be bankrupt if an emergency happens" so that's money in my pocket going forward

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
everyone is making GBS threads on the ACA after Obama said some insane poo poo lmao

https://twitter.com/iCounterSpin/status/1206248269753520128

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

smarxist posted:

everyone is making GBS threads on the ACA after Obama said some insane poo poo lmao

https://twitter.com/iCounterSpin/status/1206248269753520128

thanks obama

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
It is not possible to select Medicaid coverage on my state's website; it is only possible to fail to select any coverage and hope that the promise "Household members eligible for Medicaid who have not selected a Medicaid plan within 30 days of application submission will be automatically enrolled in one." is true.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mandoric posted:

It is not possible to select Medicaid coverage on my state's website; it is only possible to fail to select any coverage and hope that the promise "Household members eligible for Medicaid who have not selected a Medicaid plan within 30 days of application submission will be automatically enrolled in one." is true.
Turns out it's not true because I just got a notice that I've been disenrolled (Minnesota) after not reapplying because I also got a thing saying it was only necessary to mail anything back if I wanted to change plans. Thankfully, I'm employed by a not-completely-worthless company now so I'll be able to have healthcare again sometime around March.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

what the gently caress is Obama talking about when he says people can get $10 a month health insurance. I have never heard of anyone getting insurance for anything close to that price.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pizza Segregationist posted:

what the gently caress is Obama talking about when he says people can get $10 a month health insurance. I have never heard of anyone getting insurance for anything close to that price.

if you get the full federal credit because your income is like, $12000, congrats! you can probably pay $10-18 a month for the worst health insurance plan, but uhhhh good luck with everything else

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pizza Segregationist posted:

basically you have to have no income to have that kind of subsidy, but at that point you probably qualify for medicaid anyway

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Tubgoat posted:

Turns out it's not true because I just got a notice that I've been disenrolled (Minnesota) after not reapplying because I also got a thing saying it was only necessary to mail anything back if I wanted to change plans. Thankfully, I'm employed by a not-completely-worthless company now so I'll be able to have healthcare again sometime around March.

Minnesota should automatically reenroll you. Contact DHS and you will get that fixed in about 30 minutes. No reason to go without coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

smarxist posted:

if you get the full federal credit because your income is like, $12000, congrats! you can probably pay $10-18 a month for the worst health insurance plan, but uhhhh good luck with everything else

as someone who just typed that exact number in the form, the worst plan, and what i would have to select to ~complete the process and be insured~ as opposed to hoping the default to medicaid actually works, was $476 a month