Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

A friend of mine was trying to convince me that he firmly believed that marijuana would be legalized on a federal level and well on its way to being available for recreational use in all 50 states within the next three years. Of course, this guy also thought the Browns were guaranteed to win a playoff game this year, so you have to at least admire his relentless optimism.

Legalizing it would be great, but can anyone conceive of this actually happening? Is there any reason to believe that there is even that sort of momentum or political will to even bring this to a vote with even a faint possibility of passing? I look at our legislative branch and I'm not really getting a 4/20 blaze it vibe, and I'm really, really good at telling who's cool to pack a bowl with and who's going to buzzkill if they catch a whiff of that green, and Mitch McConnell was definitely throwing some buzzkill vibes last time I saw him on Face the Nation or My Super Sweet 16 or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.
I like it being illegal because if you're too goddamn inept to score weed without getting busted, you probably shouldn't be allowed in public anyway.

But then I remember how cops use it to mask the fact that they really dig institutionalized racism, and I feel like a bad person.

gently caress you, weed.

This is why I switched to Meth.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

I dunno, how soon will the major tobacco companies decide they can turn a profit selling packs of joints to kids? Once it becomes a good idea to Wall Street, it will be legalized in 6 months.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
When the war on drugs ends.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
It's already legal... In Canada :canada:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Businesses in states where it's legal can still use the federal law as an excuse to fire you.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

super sweet best pal posted:

Businesses in states where it's legal can still use the federal law as an excuse to fire you.

It's not even the federal law for the most part. At will employment states can fire you for literally anything, and I'm pretty sure smoking tobacco is legally protected lol

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Smoking weed fuckin owns and of you live in a prohibition state but like to smoke then my goondolences friend. It's literally night and day

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

super sweet best pal posted:

Your employer can fire you for drat near anything.

Your employer could get pissed at what subreddit you're posting in and decide to fire you and there's likely nothing you'd be able to do about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Donald Trump is a life-long tee-totaler so you know, keep that in perspective.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Barudak posted:

Donald Trump is a life-long tee-totaler so you know, keep that in perspective.

Citation loving needed. From someone who isn't him.

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth
lets hope they reillegalize it before every male is a dumbass.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-10-thc-rat-pregnancy-result-brain.html

Barudak
May 7, 2007

...before?

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Once the evangelical stranglehold on American politics lets up a little bit. Right now it's still THE DEVIL'S LETTUCE to a lot of people and Reefer Madness is a documentary.

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Milo and POTUS posted:

his doctor confirmed it too

he's the healthiest man ever to be President

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

Seems like having it defacto legal on a state level but unenforced illegal on a federal level would be something the government would like to keep so they have a theoretical hammer they can bring down on a lot of people arbitrarily whenever they want to exert any sort of pressure.

Lord Frankenstyle
Dec 3, 2005

Mmmm,
You smell like Lysol Wipes.

Colonel Cancer posted:

It's already legal... In Canada :canada:

C'mon now. It's totally unfair to compare America to real countries.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

A Fancy Hat posted:

Once the evangelical stranglehold on American politics lets up a little bit. Right now it's still THE DEVIL'S LETTUCE to a lot of people and Reefer Madness is a documentary.

Buddy if you think the evangelical ranks won't explode when climate bullshit finally comes home to roost, I got bad news for you

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I imagine sometime next October or so. DT's poll numbers will be looking a little limp and he'll be ready to cut any deal he needs to for a 25% boost among disaffected, middle class white men with college degrees who only vote Democratic because their girlfriend's tell them to and have never seen a protest or a black person who wasn't on TV.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Just declare war on sobriety, that will guarantee a second term to anyone

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Milo and POTUS posted:

He doesnt drink alcohol or smoke. Adderall and Sudafed, on the other hand, he takes like candy.

Tane
Feb 27, 2005

i use buzz words like institutional racism i am a retard and i love weed im the weedman

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
unironically wish death and violence upon people who don't agree with legal weed

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
Not with Joe Biden as prez, the idiot mentioned he wants cannabis to remain a misdemeanor in one of those debates recently and I'm pretty sure he brought it up unprompted.

rear end.

Autistic Edgy Guy posted:

unironically wish death and violence upon people who don't agree with legal weed

Same, you're pretty much a gutter garbage person if you think people should be in cages over weed.

Professor Cthulhu
Jul 14, 2007

I got my Associate degree at Miskatonic Community College.
Sit on it weedheads.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
The legal investment money has been pulling out and the handful of stocks are crawling, I've been worried that trump has been thinking about a crack down lately.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
Legalizing it would do too much good and would damage the pharmaceutical industry, prison complex, and CIA black ops budget therefore it will never come to pass because this is a devil nation

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Being sold recreational in the next 3 years? No way in hell.

But there is some serious consideration into ending it being illegal on a federal level and leave it 100% up to the states. This would allow current recreational dispensaries to process credit cards and have a bank account. So federally decriminalized (which does not mean you can sell it!) is going to be a thing in the next 3 years most likely, could be even sooner both republicans and democrats are very interested in allowing them to process cards.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I would say by 2100.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

AntifaSupersoldier posted:

this is a devil nation

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly, I can see it happening within the next decade. It has rolled out faster than I thought it would. It's only fully illegal in 11 states now.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
At least 20 years. The federal government is funded by the pharmaceutical companies probably. They still schedule it a Class I, which doesn't even make any sense. Under their classification, cocaine has medicinal value but marijuana doesn't. Also the feds like to go around stealing stuff from people under civil asset forfeiture, and weed being federally illegal gives them a reason to take whatever they want from anyone who has some weed. Carl Sagan, in the 70's, said they would probably legalize it within 20 years. Here we are 50 years later and literally nothing has changed on a federal level.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Is the United States going to end one of their wars on something?

Hmmmmmm

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

just LOL if you aren't living in a country with federally legal weed in TYOOL 2019, like come on guys it's not that hard

communist kangaroo
Oct 2, 2006

those are my principles, and if you don't like them...well, i have koalas.
i go to the nation's capital to get weed because it's illegal 20 minutes south of there where i actually live

it kind of sucks but it's way better than before

e: posting for a friend

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

I want my Amazon add to cart buttons for all the different weed types

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry
I wish it would be, flaky unreliable dealers are the worst.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
around the time Monsanto figures out GURT for cannabis

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL

Wicker Man posted:

I wish it would be, flaky unreliable dealers are the worst.

If it makes you feel any better, there's flaky unreliable businesses too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

hopefully soon so my loving weed stock will at least give me my money back