Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

klafbang posted:

Can't be ASCII (letters are 65-90 and 97-122, so each octet must start with 0).

Converting directly to decimal we get 160, 245 or 41205. AF_, BDE or DAB_E (A = 1, B = 2, …). The 41 could also be AI in leet-speak?

We can also use T = 20 so 41205 = DATE. Cute.

Nice, I looked at that briefly but I didn't think along those lines.

mateo360 posted:

seriously, what is it with Japanese visual novels and needing appendix/glossary entries for very simple things. I.E. Dork

I like to think it was something slightly more obscure in Japanese but I can't find a single Japanese let's play where they actually look at the files (or at least, not without going past where this LP is up to). It's hard enough finding one where anyone looks around the room instead of beelining the plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Polsy posted:

I like to think it was something slightly more obscure in Japanese but I can't find a single Japanese let's play where they actually look at the files (or at least, not without going past where this LP is up to). It's hard enough finding one where anyone looks around the room instead of beelining the plot.

It turns out it's aidachinashi which google translate assures me means 'no friends' (I guess 相達無し), though I haven't heard the exact phrase before.

Trivia: the furniture quiz in the cafe here is slightly less nonsensical in Japanese, though with the amount of puns in the scenery I don't really blame anyone for running out of good ideas

Mermaid - What kind of chair (isu) can you drink?
Ota - Ice! (aisu)
Date - Rice? (raisu)
Mermaid - It's synthetic vinegar (gouseisu)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

It's weird how half the time 'summarize for me' means 'summarize for me' and the other half it means 'leave this place'

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Gotta say I was hoping for more from the dramatic-sounding "Ota is linked to the Kumakuras" than "he must really hate those guys"

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Unavoidably lost in translation but in the Japanese version Aiba is called Aibou, which is 'partner' in Japanese, so Date gets to say 'Don't thank me, thank my....aibou'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Much like most of the non-sequiturs seem to be, the RC car thing was something more-or-less untranslatable - Boss says 'rather than rajicon [radio-controlled], you're a ojicon, right Iris?', Iris says 'ojicon?', Boss says 'ojisan [uncle] complex' and Iris laughs awkwardly (and does not actually deny it)

('Sup girl!' was localised from a reference to apparently extremely popular in Japan but basically unheard of elsewhere game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machi_(video_game))

Polsy fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 8, 2020