Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It looks like maybe we’re locked on this branch? Not sure what information we need though, unless we have to go further back for clues

Poor Iris :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Jeez Iris and Ota are behaving very differently this branch, all because Mizuki didn’t go away to see Iris.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Yeah, it’s looking like Iris got Renju and Ota tried to get Iris, I just can’t suss out why. Brain tumor and obsession to the point of wanting to be a hero?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The problem I see is that So is probably too heavy to do the elevator trick with Renju’s body. I’m suspecting a chain of killings (Renju got Shoko because ???, Iris got Renju because of tumor problems, and now So tried to get Iris and Ota).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

TheMcD posted:

This post also has the added benefit of freeing Mecca-Benghazi's post from post purgatory, where the post exists but can't be read and keeps showing up in my bookmarks list as unread.
:tipshat:

NeverHelm posted:

This doesn't quite fit the killer's MO, though. Why would all the victims have their eye gouged out, while they are still alive at that? It seems unlikely that three different people would go through with such a cruel ritual, or even be capable of it in the first place. It doesn't even make sense as a diversion, because it implies a highly sadistic killer - the kind that doesn't really need a specific motive to kill. Their lack of motive might end up incriminating them.

However, keep in mind that we are maybe halfway or so through the game. There's plenty more information out there to be found. And killers' mindsets are notoriously difficult to understand.
A copycat to throw people off the trail, if we assume that neither Iris nor So figured out it was Renju. Why Renju would do it though, I have no clue.

My main evidence for the chain killing like in a particular Agatha Christie novel is just Iris’ weight though. I guess it could be possible that So killed Shoko, maybe in a deal with the Kumakuras gone south? He’s definitely the eye gouging type :colbert:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Nothing has happened in this branch to make it her instead of So right? It’s just a different perspective on the same event in the Somnium. So somehow she’s involved with So.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

:stare:

I’m coming back around to my chain of killings theory.

we know from the other path in Ota’s somnium that So was limping with the same type of injury as the polar bear, so it’s reasonable to assume he was the one who tried to kill Iris and Ota. I’m still not sure why he’d do it.

For Renju, it looks like Iris is the only one who could’ve done the elevator trick plus she’s got the brain tumor and whatever the hell was up with her somnium this time. And Renju’s van was seen taking that secret route many branches ago so he’s probably the one who got Shoko. For a motive though, I’m not too sure either.

And we just ruled out the main suspects for So’s death, so it’s another killer. I’m just not sure who, since we’re deep into the story now, and I trust Uchikoshi not to introduce a new important person this deep in. Which leaves...Moma? Boss? Pewter? I could see a business deal gone south for Moma as the motive, or maybe Boss getting pissed off at So interfering (though I guess that was the other branch).

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

It is basically confirmation that he killed Shoko, so we definitely have multiple killers. But as to why :stare:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Ahahaha all-ice. Bless Uchikoshi, the madman

I wonder if the second psync machine in the abandoned part of town can also do the swapping thing? Because iirc Iris has been there a few times in other timelines, which has massive implications for who actually killed Renju, and we haven’t touched on it in detail. Maybe the somnium we saw with animal murdering was not actually Iris’ mind but someone else? Like, maybe Renju swapped minds with Iris and killed her in his body and So knows this happened and is after Renju, hence him going after “Iris”.

Edit: beaten with more detail, dang if the chain of murders (going by body of the killer) was actually one mind :psyduck:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The changes in Boss and Date’s models’ expressions when Saito was in their bodies was really well done.

I didn’t quite understand the bad end in the most recent update. Date refused a bunch and then the shock of seeing Hitomi explode got to him?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Hey Pewter and Moma are both also around at the end of this branch! :unsmith:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Did I miss it or was it not explained why Saito decided he wanted to swap bodies with Falco/Rohan? Or is the inference just that as Rohan he gets to kill lots of people? Because doesn’t he know about the pituitary gland issue by now?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Can’t wait for the second video where it’s revealed that Naix is real after all

Maybe the resulting conversations weren’t shown because no one’s heart could take it a second time, but Mizuki’s parents being dead has got to hurt. Glad Date adopted her at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks for the LP!

Theory crafting was fun and I hope “Iris did it because of brain tumors” gave the folks who’d played it before a lot of laughs