Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Iron Crowned posted:

Pacific Rim is monsters and robots punching each other, it's not high cinema, but it doesn't deserve to be near the worst of the decade.

Pacific Rim wasn't terrible, but it was jarring because it was about 1000% more fascist than I would have expected from Del Toro.

Guy A. Person posted:

As long as everyone is going ham on super hero movies, I want to mention Spider-Man: Far From Home as holding special disgust in my heart entirely for the drone strike scene. I cannot stress how insanely out of place it is for a character like Spider-Man to just accidentally order a drone strike on the school bully and the whole scene is obviously supposed to be comedic instead of a horrifying commentary on the world we live in. And this is from a franchise (the MCU) that is generally praised for "getting the characters right".

It is mind-boggling to me that 5 years was enough time for marvel to go from Winter Soldier to Far From Home. Soldier was a stupid self-contradictory mess, but at least it understood that death from the skies and a complete violation of everyone's privacy was a bad thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

MinisterSinister posted:

It's not explicit racism by any means, but there has always been a lot of implicit racism throughout Eastwood's career. Dirty Harry basically jumpstarted the not-so-subtley racist trend of late 70s and early 80s "tough on crime" action flicks where a bitter old white dude solves America's crime problems (which are always due to minorities, who commit random and abhorrent acts of violence not because of poverty or social motivations, but because they are just cruel by nature) by blasting away thugs with a gun.

If you're ragging on Eastwood for the racist implications of his work, I think it's relevant that literally all the villains of the Dirty Harry films are white.