Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gavok posted:

I'm kind of shocked that after 11 pages, nobody mentioned Holmes and Watson once considering how much hate it got when it came out.

If they had stayed the early course, constantly excusing/letting Moriarty go while inadvertently committing his crimes/plots for him, it would have been pretty good. But they chickened out when they started to weekend @ bernie the queen, then blinked and went with her just being knocked out and enjoying it and just, laaaame

Without the Step Brothers commitment to learning the absurdly wrong lesson, it just becomes a Seth MacFarlane joint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

God Hole posted:

the camaraderie of the dwarves and their boisterous but lovable behavior was like, the best part about the book. you got to know and care about all of them.

outside of a few gimmick video game cutscenes, a forced tragic love triangle, and a quick "hey remember gimli" scene, the dwarves in this movie receive almost no characterization. Three movies and things move so quickly that we don't have time to get to know any of them.

thorin's turn and redemption happen like two or three times as well, and they all feel unearned.

You're gonna be disappointed if you ever give the book a reread, only like 4 of them have any personality or distinguishing traits or individual lines of dialogue.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

God Hole posted:

I'm going to stand by my 11-year-old self's assessment of the characterization of the dwarves and reassert that the movies' portrayal of them did not measure up :colbert:

Sorry kid, but they have way more personality in the movies. Unique designs, everyone gets their own dialogue (except Bombur and the one with the axe in his head) and something to do. The book usually presents their speech and actions as a collective, not individuals; it's our imagination that has to ascribe them to individual dwarves. For better or worse

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

I mean it's also possible that Thorin being emotional and unhinged is characterization

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Tac Dibar posted:

Because for some reason they tried to make the dwarves hot.

Just the one dude, which was a mistake since it meant he didn't have any dwarf make up. Which meant he didn't look like a dwarf. Even Bilbo had gross feet and ears!

Some nerds seem to object to mere presence of the romance, but it's one the genuinely good ideas in the series. The real problem is it's portrayal is beyond tame - it's already an attraction between a mythological miner/smith and woodland sprite; so what if his face is "ugly", it should be! This is a fantasy! About a race war for crying out loud, it could use a good sexy kiss between the dirt man and tree girl

But they chickened out, first by making him look normal attractive (and the elf too, come to think on it) and second by giving them just a chaste kiss on the cheek. 5 armies is the best of the trilogy but that poo poo is weak as hell