Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
American Sniper (beside Kyle being a lying piece of human garbage) was just super strange from like a storytelling/structure perspective, but it's odd in that I feel I only noticed some of it because I'm a veteran myself.

So like there's a part where Kyle is shooting Iraqis, very clearly in Iraq, and then the next scene suddenly he is back in America with his kid getting him a haircut. Like no scene of him of coming home, or why his kid went from like, an infant to a five year old over the course of one deployment. Then he sees a news story about Iraq, and like, the very next scene he's back in Iraq again? There may have been a single shot of him walking out of a C-130, but otherwise no fanfare given to leaving for deployment or coming home from one. I think it happens like once or twice more. I guess Eastwood was going for the "he gets deployed so much coming and going means nothing to him" but it just wrecks the utter poo poo out of narrative. And also, those moments are very big deals in the lives of military people, especially for true believers like Kyle. It just made absolutely no sense to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

BigglesSWE posted:

Nnnooo I was just sort of into WWII stuff as a child (think a lot male history buffs start out there, but fortunately I moved on before I became obsessed with tank statistics). One day it was on the television; I saw enough of it to pester my dad about buying it from Amazon which he eventually did. Still has the DVD back home somewhere.

Pretty sure Midway actually uses footages from Tora Tora Tora. It’s a movie that includes a lot of actual war footage.

Midway (have only seen the old one) is awful, but Tora, Tora, Tora is great. The way they did it as two productions with American film makers doing the American side of things and Japanese film makers doing their side of things is really cool and unique.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
So... I can't say I have actually seen this movie, but I see did the trailer in the wild with no prior knowledge of it, and it was hell of an experience. The trailer alone is enough to convince me this is the worst movie of the 2010s... even though it was released in 2009, possibly the worst movie ever made.

I remember going to see a movie when I lived up in South Dakota and somehow this trailer played before the the film. I think it was was packaged as part of the pre-show ads, so it appeared while the house lights were still on and we thought it was some kind of parody trailer that would turn out to be a Coke ad or something. Only about 2/3rds of the way in did my buddy and I realize we were watching a trailer for an actual movie, and not some kind of joke. There was this slow dawning horror that kind of washed over us at the same moment and it was a really disturbing experience. If you've never seen this I won't spoil the experience, just watch this poo poo.

Goons and Goonettes, I present to you without further commentary C Me Dance