Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
There's obviously a difference between "worst" and "most disappointing". A movie like Age of Ultron just has too much put into it, and too many good actors involved to truly be the worst but it could definitely be considered one of the most disappointing.

I struggle to think of a film from the past ten years that was worse than The Snowman. It's missing some of the most basic pieces that you need to form a real narrative, like, at a base level it's not a coherent story. And it has no redeeming qualities that could come close to balancing that out. Fassbender is a complete nothing in it, just a non-entity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pirate Jet posted:

But this is the contradiction I’m pointing out - you say Age of Ultron has “too much good” involved to be considered one of the worst, but then say that one of the worst is a movie starring Michael Fassbender and directed by Tomas Alfredson. The Let the Right One In guy! By your own definition, that’s not worst, that’s most disappointing. And Age of Ultron certainly isn’t a coherent story with redeeming qualities.

The good parts of Age of Ultron are actually good though. RDJ is good, Hemsworth is good, Ruffalo is good, Spader is good. There are some genuinely good actions scenes in it.

Fassbender does not live up to his reputation in The Snowman. Had he delivered an excellent performance, yea that would've elevated it. But he didn't.

TrixRabbi posted:

A lot of really bad, incompetent movies have a lot of money, effort, and talent behind them. Is Alice in Wonderland exempt from this discussion because Tim Burton is a typically talented director who put together a strong cast and the movie made a billion dollars? What about Waterworld? That was one of the most expensive movies ever made at the time and featured Kevin Costner at the height of his fame and Dennis Hopper.

Nothing is exempt from the discussion. But yea, something like Waterworld with all the ambition that clearly went into it, the massive sets and and the world building it has, then throw in Dennis Hopper as the villain, I don't think it deserves to be discussed as one of the worst films of it's decade. There's just too much there to appreciate, even if it fails in some important aspects.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Watch Pacific Rim and tell me Transformers: Dark of the Moon is one of the worst movies of the decade, I dare you.

I don't think either one of those are anywhere close to worst of the decade.

Revenge of the Fallen is far and away the worst Transformers movie.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laughing Zealot posted:

I don't get the hate for Pacific Rim.

The sequel on the other hand...

Yea I can see that one making a Worst Of list. It has Boyega, but that's about the only thing I can say in it's favor. Terrible story, terrible as a followup to the first movie, terrible floaty special effects, not nearly enough monsters, just a boring slog all around. It can't be easy to make a boring slog out of robots+monsters+150 million dollars but they somehow did it.

Hiring a guy who'd never directed a feature film probably wasn't a good start.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Valerian is far from perfect but it's also far from the worst of the decade. It needed like 20 minutes trimmed off to reach it's full potential.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hand Knit posted:

Wasn't there that Dracula origin story that was supposed to kick start a cinematic universe? And it sucked so they tried again with the Tom Cruise Mummy.

Dracula Untold. It was bad.

Re: I, Frankenstein, at least Dracula Untold spent a few bucks on costumes and didn't just grab a gray hoodie from Target.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Nov 5, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
One huge problem with Tom Cruise Mummy as the start of the Dark Universe(ugh) is that they did actually give us a little taste of what future team-up films would be like with the interactions he has with Russell Crowe's Dr. Jekyll. And hooo boy were those scenes terrible. Embarrassingly bad.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cacator posted:

Speaking of aborted cinematic universes, the fact that they tried to pull this poo poo with Bond in Spectre was just insulting, especially since they tried to do it by retconning the previous movies while simultaneously pulling off a Star Trek Into Darkness style villain reveal for Blofeld. But no one gives a poo poo!

I'll forever be pissed off at that move because I thought given the title and the fact that Blofeld was in it, it would be relatively self-contained and would be a story that would harken back to classic Bond.

So I took my 90 year old grandfather to see it because he enjoys the Connery films and it was so sad because he left the theater totally confused and really just had no chance at following that twist or understanding any of the stuff that was happening with the pictures and all that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Too much imagination and too many interesting ideas in Jupiter Ascending for it to be one of the worst.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

General Dog posted:

I’d put Cloud Atlas in the same camp

Absolutely. Cloud Atlas and Jupiter Ascending are both movies that I own and watch about once a year. I just enjoy revisiting those worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Alhazred posted:

Jupiter Ascending is so bland that the only thing that makes it stand out is how dumb it is.

I've heard the movie called many things but bland is not one of them.