Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

The barrel riding scene was like 25 minutes and it looked like poo poo. The first movie was somehow probably the best of the three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

Even saying the third one "crams a battle scene in" is being too forgiving for folks who haven't seen it. The third one is a battle scene, one far longer than anything in the LOTR trilogy (I believe) and certainly far stupider than probably anything else out out in the last decade (non-Transformers category).

I was right out of college when the first Hobbit movie came out and I didn't quite know what to make of it. It definitely didn't evoke any of the wonderment of the LOTR trilogy, but I thought hey it's a new trilogy, and the Gollum scenes were well done, so whatever. I'm not 12 this time, so maybe this is how adults reacted to LOTR.

I actually liked parts of the second one the one time I saw it. Unlike the first one, it actually explores some new places, which has always been a big part of the appeal of the franchise. Everything was obviously stupider than LOTR, but it seemed to be looking up, and the Smaug stuff was well done like the Gollum stuff in the previous movie.

The advertising for the third movie hinged on "Peter Jackson is going to wrap it all up in a bow and connect it to LOTR in a way you might not expect, you're going to want to see this!" so I had some faith going in. About an hour in I finally accepted that it wasn't going to "come around", and that this is exactly how adult Star Wars fans felt when the prequels came out.

The first two are bad but relatively forgettable. They shouldn't have tried to adapt the book as a dark action adventure series, but at least they still had some interesting visuals and plenty of references to the wider lore.

The Desolation of Smaug, however, just bounces from one profoundly embarrassing thing to the next at a truly bewildering pace, without even bothering to pretend it's taking place in a thought-out or interesting setting. It's unequivocally the worst of the three on every level.