Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Sleeveless posted:

Please don't do this. A Marvel or a Star War are not the worst movies of the decade and even if you genuinely think they are those two topics have been so well-trodden there's nothing funny, informative, or interesting to be wrung from them.

I’m not sure what evidence needs to be shown of Age of Ultron for it to be worthy - a menagerie of horrible shots, editing so bad that people teleport in action scenes, or Tony Stark making a rape joke - but it absolutely deserves to be on that list.

It’s hard to see where you’re coming from here. The idea of a top ten worst movies list is an inherently inflammatory one, as shown by the fact that you’re mandating that nobody put Disney properties on their list but you seem to think including a WB/DC one is allowed. Even if we don’t get into a fifty page argument over a topic as broad as the subjectivity of art, you’re still making a thread that is literally about valuing aggression in film criticism, and then getting upset when people are aggressive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I generally dislike the phenomenon of movies being “so bad they’re good” because bad movies usually end up just being boring, but I can attest that The Book of Henry is indeed an exception to my rule and is a wild-rear end ride from start to finish.

I never talk to the TV when I’m watching stuff, but I legitimately shouted “WHAT!?” so loud at 1AM I woke up my roommate when I heard ”Mom, I think Henry wants us to kill the police commissioner.”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

There's obviously a difference between "worst" and "most disappointing". A movie like Age of Ultron just has too much put into it, and too many good actors involved to truly be the worst but it could definitely be considered one of the most disappointing.

I struggle to think of a film from the past ten years that was worse than The Snowman. It's missing some of the most basic pieces that you need to form a real narrative, like, at a base level it's not a coherent story. And it has no redeeming qualities that could come close to balancing that out. Fassbender is a complete nothing in it, just a non-entity.

But this is the contradiction I’m pointing out - you say Age of Ultron has “too much good” involved to be considered one of the worst, but then say that one of the worst is a movie starring Michael Fassbender and directed by Tomas Alfredson. The Let the Right One In guy! By your own definition, that’s not worst, that’s most disappointing. And Age of Ultron certainly isn’t a coherent story with redeeming qualities.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

The good parts of Age of Ultron are actually good though. RDJ is good, Hemsworth is good, Ruffalo is good, Spader is good. There are some genuinely good actions scenes in it.

Fassbender does not live up to his reputation in The Snowman. Had he delivered an excellent performance, yea that would've elevated it. But he didn't.

I have not seen The Snowman, but I guarantee you that whatever Fassbender did in that film is not worse than Elizabeth Olsen’s attempt at a Romani accent.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

General Dog posted:

It's a total confusing tonal mess for sure, but to be fair the movie does climax with Watts' realization that "oh, I'm about to kill a man because my dead 11 year old son is telling me to, maybe that's not a good idea."

But then the cop kills himself anyways. So Henry got what he wanted!

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Darth Brooks posted:

The Last Jedi should get mention for attacking the original three Star Wars movies.

Lmao.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I do remember that Lee was apparently so upset by studio intervention in the Oldboy remake that he marked it as “A Spike Lee Film” instead of “A Spike Lee Joint” as a symbolic gesture, so I don’t think it’s that he didn’t care or want to.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
My favorite part of Serenity is the way they just drop the psychosexual subtext of a kid programming a video game where you play as his dad and gently caress his mom on the table and then walk away while you’re left with the check.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don't really do best and worst lists because I don't like ranking things, but I am going to go ahead and copy-paste something I wrote about the movie that absolutely pissed me off the most this decade.

In early 2011, the Tommy Wi-Show launched. Funded by the internet video network known as Machininma (which, of course, did more than just Machinima videos,) the show was a limited run internet series consisting of Tommy Wiseau playing, and reacting to, a handful of video games. The show borrowed blatantly from Mystery Science Theater 3000 (down to a comedic sci-fi framing device) but didn't rely on amateur senses of filmmaking as its main source of humor. Instead, the joke was Wiseau himself. He'd struggle through sentences, fail to understand basic video game tutorials and instructions, misrepresent systems and mechanics, and anything that required technical skill or tight timing was out the window. Tommy Wiseau is bad at video games, the series wanted you to know. Laugh. Laugh, and rejoice that you are better than him.

Machinima isn't around anymore, and is therefore too dead to protest if I'm being unfair when I say that projects like The Tommy Wi-Show are probably why. Even if we ignore that framing devices still require competent writing, and that there's millions of sources available for free if you want to watch people who are bad at video games play video games, The Tommy Wi-Show was an intensely mean-spirited pillorying of a man already most well-known for being an incompetent artist. It was bad. For all the same reasons, The Disaster Artist is even worse.

The Disaster Artist isn't anything more than an utter confirmation that the memeification of Tommy Wiseau has taken absolute hold, and will likely never go away. Sestero's book, which this movie is adapted from, draws its power from debunking which questions about Wiseau are actually interesting. Why does he look like that, and talk like that? Why does he have a seemingly endless supply of money? Well, he's a Polish immigrant who got in a debilitating car accident from which he received a large settlement. Oh, okay. But if he was born in the Eastern Bloc, then why is he so obsessed with specifically American culture? What drew him to James Dean? And moreover, why did Greg continue hanging out with him when it became clear his obsessions occasionally turned to abuse, or even violence?

James Franco's The Disaster Artist is not concerned with any of these things that make for a good character study, but it does want you to know: James just figured out a decent Wiseau impression, so get him some makeup and I'm sure we can make this poo poo go viral. Wiseau's abuse of his female coworkers is brushed off as a wacky eccentricity, his poor conditions on set as a foible of The Absent-Minded Director! as opposed to an actual working hazard. This isn't to say that the ideal model of this film would #cancel Wiseau, but to illustrate a trend of how Franco's film intentionally skips over the things that make Wiseau's story fascinating, in hopes to instead fit it into the traditional Franco comedy mold. Franco's The Disaster Artist is a real movie caged and tazed until it learns to act more like The Night Before or This is the End, and we don't even get a hilarious corporate hack out of it.

James Franco would like you to laugh at Tommy Wiseau's mere existence with him, but doesn't want you to notice that his own filmmaking is barely more competent, with every actual cinematic choice made amateurishly - only elevated by the performances of his Hollywood friends. For his credit, Dave Franco is actually quite good here as Sestero, but everything else is an embarrassing cosplay. But the movie's incompetent cinema could be forgiven - much as Wiseau's own is, deserved or not - if the movie itself wasn't so utterly mean-spirited and vile. Franco's The Disaster Artist is making a stand-up act out of a real human, an utter disregard for the humanity of film in favor of further pushing Wiseau's legend, no matter how poisonous it is not just to Wiseau but to film itself. In the way the film values Wiseau more as a meme than a human being, there is essentially no difference between this and Machinima's mockery, except one is only offered in 480p.

The defining moment of Franco's The Disaster Artist is its final scene, where The Room finally premieres in Los Angeles, to a crowd who immensely enjoys it in a way Wiseau didn't intend. He's heartbroken, until Sestero pulls him back into the theater, and asks "they love it, man. You think Hitchcock ever got a response like that?" The question is perfectly timed as an audience repeatedly shouts "DO IT! DO IT!" to footage of Wiseau's character considering suicide. You'll be hard-pressed to find a more macabre moment in cinema this decade. As an audience demands blood for their own "ironic" enjoyment, it's hard not to think of the various other internet personalities whose own path through stardom ended in death. This, according to Franco, is a good thing - that the arts matter more than humanity, and that your celebrity legend matters more than your feelings, even if that legend is a public toilet.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I still have a hard time understanding how people who saw and liked District 9 didn’t like Elysium. They’re effectively the same movie.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Darko posted:

Even with this writeup, I don't get why you're so mad at The Disaster Artist. Tommy Wiseau is a weird dick in real life, the movie makes him a weird dick in the movie, but is essentially about two dudes with a dream to make it big, failing spectacularly but making lemonade out of lemons, which is basically what happened.

If you look at Best Friends, written by Sestero, you can see a movie that deconstructs Tommy's toxicity and how he uses people, if that's more of what you want to see.

But the movie isn’t about Tommy Wiseau the weird dick, it’s about Tommy Wiseau the meme. The film is essentially a play-by-play of the already most well-known, viral moments of the film’s production and has no interest in Wiseau beyond the fact that he made an amusingly bad film, ultimately drawing the conclusion that the film was bad because he was strange (ignoring, once again, that he’s like that because he’s a Polish immigrant who was in a massive car accident.) I have seen Best Friends (well, only part 1) and you’re correct that it’s a significantly more interesting film because of the actual interrogation of what drew the two together.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I honestly still can’t believe how bizarre it is that Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark got a movie whose moral is that you should stop being a coward and enlist in the military, specifically for Vietnam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
"Santa's Bootcamp" is not the kind of title I'd expect a family-friendly film out of.