Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

It was a rough decade full of horrible films (though I must admit I kind of admire how batshit insane Book of Henry is and I kind of love the movie, though for totally unintended reasons). But there's some absolutely irredeemable poo poo that's come out the past 10 years. Here's my Bottom 10.

10. Green Book (2018)

Sure, part of this is inflated backlash to its Oscar win, but what an appalling, misguided, and overall boring film. Absolutely interminable mixed with horrible stereotypes. One of the sickliest attempts at addressing race from Hollywood since Crash and perhaps an even more egregious Oscar win, given that Crash is at least an interesting trainwreck. This was a small eternity.

9. Cop Out (2010)

I remember renting this from Red Box shortly after its release having never heard of it. At the end when it showed that Kevin Smith had directed it I was actually shocked -- I never thought I would say this but jesus Kevin you are better than this. Lifeless filmmaking, apparently complicated by Smith's decision to get stoned every day on set and unorthodox directing decisions like making his cinematographer try every lens in his case until he found one he likes. Say what you will about Tusk and Yoga Hosers, those movies are bad but at least they have a voice behind them.

8. Atlas Shrugged: Part I (2011)

I only saw the first one but how many people actually bothered with the entire series? On top of promoting a terrible ideology of selfishness and laissez faire economics, the film is a display of technical incompetence. Not even fun-bad, just miserable.

7. Now You See Me (2013)

An otherwise forgettable Hollywood heist flick about magicians that most people probably thought was "just ok" to "pretty cool" but oh my god did this one just hit the wrong nerve with me. So entirely smug and satisfied with itself, made worse by Jesse Eisenberg's sneering little face in the lead. Eisenberg's star was reaching its heights, and iirc this came out around the same time he was trying to pull a James Franco and position himself as a Man of Letters by publishing old Louis CK bits in the New Yorker disguised as witticism. I barely remember the plot details of this one, but I'll never forget how angry this one made me and I will go to my grave cursing Eisenberg.

6. Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015)

Look, the MCU is a pox upon cinema and the entire series deserves a special achievement award in poisoning the well of popular culture. At the time of this post we're on our third loving week of discourse around an offhand comment Martin Scorsese made in an interview about not liking the spandex suit movies. But Age of Ultron is truly bottom of the barrel. Whedon is an incompetent director handling one of the most bloated films this studio has put out to date. A miserable experience that even hardcore MCU fans will cop to being a low point for the series. I still haven't seen Infinity War or Endgame and I don't give a poo poo to do so.

5. Kung Fury (2015)

Witless garbage for the attention deficit. This one will probably elicit a few "you just hate fun" responses but I hated this loving thing, that is now apparently being turned into a feature. The worst impulses of our nostalgia-tripping culture. A pirates vs. ninjas meme from 2007 made into a 30 minute, faux-VHS assault on the senses.

4. Patriots Day (2016)

I'm from Boston so this one strikes a little close to home but holy poo poo what exploitative garbage. gently caress Mark Wahlberg that little racist piece of poo poo and his propaganda piece. Wahlberg should've been exiled from Boston for this poo poo. In his perverse desire to insert himself into our worst, most recent tragedies, he plays a so-called "composite" of the actual first responders, which is nothing short of disgusting. Pure exploitation. Wahlberg said he wanted to make this movie right, before someone else made it. But it never should have been made, there's no reason for it to exist, and it certainly didn't need a star-studded cast and a hero's journey. Egregious.

3. The Last Airbender (2010)

Do I gotta explain this one?

2. Range 15 (2016)

Like someone adapted a Punisher logo MAGA Facebook group into a feature film. Absolutely disgusting, filled with product placement, delights in killing. Everything wrong with this country and you'll feel worse watching it.

1. Foodfight! (2012)

How did you make this thread, on this forum, in Cinema Discusso, without mentioning Foodfight!? Some of our members got quoted in the New York Times for this one! One of the most dire, astounding, miserable movies ever made. It needs to be seen to be believed, and honestly I recommend everyone do so. You haven't seen the full breadth of cinema's capabilities as a medium until you've seen Foodfight! and once you do you'll wonder if it was ever worth inventing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

General Dog posted:

I loving love this movie. When it came out I think I described it to a friend as being in "exquisitely poor taste". The climactic scene where the SWAT team flings Dzokhar out of the boat in slow mo while 50 snipers watch from the rooftops as the score blares triumphantly is one of the most striking cinematic moments of the decade.

Oh yeah it is fascinating for sure and well worth a look as an exercise in exceedingly poor taste. Like I recommend checking out Range 15 for the same reason.

Sleeveless posted:

Please don't do this. A Marvel or a Star War are not the worst movies of the decade and even if you genuinely think they are those two topics have been so well-trodden there's nothing funny, informative, or interesting to be wrung from them.

Kung Fury didn't invent that neon laser grid 80s monkey cheese maximalist garbage but it definitely popularized it in a way that we're still feeling today.

I’m also exceedingly bored by the endless Marvel debate but that movie is just pit in my stomach awful and it warrants mention. It’s shot like dog poo poo too.

Agreed on Kung Fury not inventing anything cause there’s a ton of 80’s throwback poo poo just like it but absolutely it maximized and spread it. I also think it’s one of the most obnoxious examples of its genre and I don’t find it charming in the least.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 22, 2019

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

There's obviously a difference between "worst" and "most disappointing". A movie like Age of Ultron just has too much put into it, and too many good actors involved to truly be the worst but it could definitely be considered one of the most disappointing.

A lot of really bad, incompetent movies have a lot of money, effort, and talent behind them. Is Alice in Wonderland exempt from this discussion because Tim Burton is a typically talented director who put together a strong cast and the movie made a billion dollars? What about Waterworld? That was one of the most expensive movies ever made at the time and featured Kevin Costner at the height of his fame and Dennis Hopper.

Age of Ultron is dogshit, boring, incompetent, and at certain times made me angry from its attempts at humor. Worst is applicable.

edit: I also wouldn't equate Worst with cheap or untalented. poo poo like The Beast of Yucca Flats has way more charm and personality than an Age of Ultron, even if Age of Ultron has a better understanding of filmmaking conventions and access to A-List megastars.

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 23, 2019

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I think The Book of Henry would be a great midnight movie though the plot point of child molestation might put a damper on some of the fun. But seriously, what a bizarre, completely misguided film. Like I'm endeared to it the way other people are endeared to The Room.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

soliciting worst movies of the decade lists and getting pissed when someone puts a Marvel movie on theirs is a perfect way to close out the decade when you think about it

lol exactly.

CelticPredator posted:

Dingus thoughts

Yeah, I agree. I liked Covenant. It's only half the movie Prometheus is but I think both of those films are going to get re-evaluated in another decade, maybe even not until after Scott dies, but he's wrestling with really heavy themes of God, meaning, and mortality in some surprisingly complex ways and I feel like they'll be salvaged by history.

edit: It's also funny how me putting Age of Ultron on my Bottom 10 gets backlash but no one has challenged me putting the most recent Best Picture winner even though it has similarly been validated by institutional support. Hmmm...

TrixRabbi fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Oct 25, 2019

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Gripweed posted:

The worst movie of the decade is unquestionably Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich.

Oh poo poo. What was the story with this one? I've never seen any of the Puppet Masters but I remember hearing about this a little while ago.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Retired forums poster penismightier had the best burn for Pacific Rim which was "it's like going through somebody else's puberty."

Pacific Rim is possibly the worst movie of Del Toro's career, just totally boring and a major disappointment. I'll take the ferocious incoherence of Transformers any day (that's not saying Transformers is good, just more interesting).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

I Before E posted:

I don't feel right putting movies i haven't seen on a worst of list but by all accounts Range 15 is the product of a sick society, with the moral dignity and entertainment value of an ISIS execution.

Honestly I'd probably respect somebody more if they watched and enjoyed an ISIS execution than if they watched and enjoyed Range 15 because it takes more effort to find the execution video.

It's hard to really articulate how black the hearts of those filmmakers are. Like, this movie -- made by military bros who wanted to see military and gun culture depicted accurately on film -- ends with a potshot making fun of veterans with PTSD with a joke about one of the characters "isn't a pussy afraid of fireworks on the 4th of July."

One of two main female characters is randomly executed by one of the protagonists simply for speaking out of turn. Characters routinely laugh as their friends are bitten by zombies before immediately killing them. The fact that this came out in 2016 and there was no explicit reference to Trump is shocking.

Apparently there's a feature length Making Of doc that I haven't seen but got a copy of and I'm curious just to see what was going through these people's minds in constructing this abomination.

edit: I almost forgot, this movie opens with a trans woman (played by a cis woman) being punched in the face for being a trap and it being played for laughs. Just a cruel, sick movie.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Splint Chesthair posted:

Wow, sounds like they nailed it.

Didn't mean to imply that they didn't.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

It's also not something that necessarily needs to be ranked. Like, Range 15 may be morally putrid but how many people actually saw it? The production of The Hobbit also actively crushed collective bargaining efforts in New Zealand, forcing changes to the law that impacted thousands of film workers and is still being felt today. So on top of it being a bloated, boring waste of time and resources it also had a tangible, awful effect on an entire country.

But even if Pacific Rim never really hurt anybody, I have no problem including it for failing to achieve everything it set out to do and generally disappointing and boring me. It doesn't have to be actively evil to be included here.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Right. Just as there's no Worst Movie, there's also no Best Movie. Ranking and list making is generally just a fun exercise and a way to offer our personal feelings on these movies. And it's also why Jurassic World and Age of Ultron are just as fair game to discuss here as Heaven is For Real or Range 15 or Foodfight! If we rate good movies on a curve, for what their stated goals are intentions are, then we should also rate bad movies on the same metric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm curious about this one. I'm very skeptical of modern literary fiction so I always find it satisfying when a novel hyped by the New Yorker crowd gets a film adaptation that then gets absolutely poo poo on by the general public (see also: The Goldfinch, Where'd You Go Bernadette?)

"Self-pitying, indulgent melodrama" really is the perfect descriptor of 90%+ of modern book culture.