Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

10: American Ultra

The shadow of Punished "Venom" Landis looms large here, but he only wrote the bad script where his self insert realizes he's only a useless, dependent leech because the government made him that way so he wouldn't realize how much of a badass he really is, he didn't direct the dull action scenes or make the decision to cast Walton Goggins, one of the best actors for delivering verbose dialogue, as a barely verbal Joker supersoldier with the mind of a child. Just a waste of everybody's time.

9: Ghostbusters

I hate that this is on here, because everyone involved in this deserves better. The leads have been legitimately funny before, and even Paul Feig isn't entirely irredeemable, as he was a vital part of Freaks And Geeks, one of the funniest and most emotionally honest tv shows I've ever seen. This is a comedy without jokes, where every bad improv session is made even less entertaining by a lifeless editing and shooting approach that makes everything look like one of those video game cutscenes where everybody has to stand in place repeating the same animations that are in every other cutscene because they can't make the character models believably touch each other. That lack of energy extends to the godawful action scenes, which mix the standard "just make the ending a giant evil vortex" structure the MCU has turned every blockbuster into with a trick I first saw in Ang Lee's Life Of Pi where all the effects slop over the aspect ratio matte and it just looks like poo poo.

8: Cop Out

I think enough has been said here.

7: Avengers

There are probably worse Marvel movies that came after this, but this is what they all spawned from. All the sub-ABC prime time cinematography, all the glib detachment from any sense of consequence, all the awful costuming, all of it descends from Punished "Venom" Whedon and this toy ad of a feature film.

6: Alice In Wonderland

What makes this so bad is not the half baked attempt to rework the Alice story into some sort of LOTR knockoff or the glut of live-action-with-copious CGI Disney reboots it led to or even Punished "Venom" Depp's awful dance, it's that the color palette is best described as "moldy eggplant".

5: Baby Driver

At some time during the runtime of this movie, I realized Jamie Foxx was playing a DVD box cover Edgar Wright thought was cool in 2004, and then I realized that was every character.

4: The Lego Movie

Seldom have I seen a more cloying and exhausting exercise in brand engagement.

3: Hillary's America

Politically vile and plainly incompetent.

2: The Disaster Artist

The Room, for every flaw in its production, is a guy with something to say saying it as well as it can. That something is "women are irrational demons", but that's more than The Disaster Artist has. What this has to say is "I, Punished "Venom" Franco, have a half decent Tommy Wiseau impression, and rather than putting together a five minute Funny Or Die skit based on that, I had the idea to have all my famous friends reenact scenes from the production of a movie we all think is funny." The Disaster Artist does not seriously engage with the question of who Tommy Wiseau is, or with anything The Room tries to say, and the closest it comes is its facile attempts to explore the friendship between Sestero and Wiseau.

1: Most Likely To Murder

This one has a story to it. So I was pitched on this by my mom, and the bit that got me to watch it was "Billy Eichner's in it." He's in literally one scene, and the rest is a no budget neo-noir riff with the least charming, least interesting, least funny lead I've ever had the displeasure of watching, and the story hinges on a condiment-themed sex tape and a man helping his elderly mother commit suicide. That should get across the general lack of tone.

Honorable mentions: Birdemic, Fateful Findings, Book Of Henry, and Collateral Beauty are all too funny to be on the list, and if I was including documentaries I'd put in The People Vs George Lucas and Room 237.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I don't feel right putting movies i haven't seen on a worst of list but by all accounts Range 15 is the product of a sick society, with the moral dignity and entertainment value of an ISIS execution.

Honestly I'd probably respect somebody more if they watched and enjoyed an ISIS execution than if they watched and enjoyed Range 15 because it takes more effort to find the execution video.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Oct 30, 2019

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Pacific Rim is a combination Gundam/Kaiju movie without the good parts of either.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I made my list based on what got the most negative reaction from me, so movies that are technically incompetent but hilarious couldn't honestly be on there, and sticking to movies I've actually seen disqualifies stuff like Littlest Reich where it's straightforwardly vile enough that I wouldn't give it the time of day.

I debated putting Frank on there, as it's just a dreary bore with bad music, but I just felt exhausted at the end of that, whereas after The Disaster Artist I felt insulted.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Alec Eiffel posted:

It’s worth noting that very rarely will I watch a movie that is intentionally awful. I will not watch Birdemic, Foodfight!, Unplanned, or DTV films that sound utterly cursed (which comprises 99% of DTV films). I also don’t watch as many films as I used to. Thus, Justice League reigns supreme even though I know objectively there are possibly dozens to hundreds of worse flicks out there.

Birdemic doesn't deserve to be put in that company, it's legitimately hilarious and doesn't have a vile message.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'm pretty sure I'm the one who made the Gundam comparison, and that was more a general thing about how it focused more on the relationships between the pilots (who are all barely one dimensional except for, if I'm being generous, Rinko Kikuchi and Idris Elba) than giving any sort of discernable individual character to the monsters. The only part of that movie that even kind of works is the part where Ron Perlman and Charlie Day had to survive an attack from ground level.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Then that's a very bad comparison, because Gundam famously gave as much characterization to the antagonists as the protagonists. That's what made the original Gundam such a revolution, it was the first big mecha series to have the bad guys be just other people with different motivations, as opposed to the giant monsters of a Mazinger Z or a Getter Robo. To the extent that, early on in the series, Zeon pilots were often more charming and likable that the protagonist Amuro Ray.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKmFgSTpdDc

I'm not super familiar with Gundam so fair point.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I think you glitched out

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The final scene in War is unambiguously optimistic about the future, it just takes a lot of effort to get there.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Juno was a very annoying phenomenon in that mid 2000s wave where an independent comedy could have a big theatrical run(Juno made $230M theatrically on a ~7M budget, which is wild to think about now) and make waves culturally, but it did lead to Young Adult and Tully, much better Reitman/Cody collabs, so I'd say it's redeemed itself.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I could put together an Actually Good Top Ten of movies listed in this thread and that would probably make a half decent best of the decade

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I was wrong, just ended up with a Pretty Neat Nine, nine movies that are at worst pretty neat

Jupiter Ascending
Death Note
Tim And Eric's Billion Dollar Movie
Beyond The Black Rainbow
Godzilla (2014)
Pottersville
mother!
BvS
Chappie

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Rogue One gets a lot of goodwill because it has Donnie Yen working a Zatoichi gimmick. As it should, because that rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

Well the 2010s are over, may this decade finally be the one where you free yourself from whatever bizarre compulsion makes you consume dozens of hours of popular media you actively dislike and then spend hundreds of hours bitching about it online. See y'all in another ten years, hopefully you'll actually be able to talk about more than two things then.

Hey I stopped watching WWE last decade