Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I'd have to look up my Letterboxd to see what I think is the worst of the decade.

So far, my worst film of the year is The Dead Don't Die. Which is a huge bummer, cuz I like Jarmusch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

axelblaze posted:

Fran, I know you just changed the name of the thread but you know what you have to do

It's too long to fit. :(

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Taintrunner posted:

Also I had to look but The Lovely Bones, a dire, disgustingly empty movie about a raped and murdered girl who turns into a ghost and her Mark Wahlberg dad tries to solve the murder, came out in 2009, taking it just out of eligibility. It ends with the child rapist and killer falling and dying accidentally.

Not arguing against the quality of the movie, but that's directly what the source material, Alice Sebald's novel, does, and it's thematically the whole point: that life's not interested in getting closure on tragedy, or justice being served, it's about trying to pick up the pieces and move on despite the pain. Jackson's adaptation is muddled and wastes his potential, but the story is pretty much the same as the novel.

Anyway, it's nowhere near as dire as, say, Hellraiser: Judgement or as meandering as Downsizing.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tart Kitty posted:

Jurassic World is a good pick. It’s a profoundly ugly movie, from the cynical nostalgia baked into it, to the absolutely abysmal washed-out CGI, to the charmless characters who exhibit no personality outside of their occupations. I should like a movie that featured a subplot about the government using dinosaurs to hunt terrorists, but JW is so utterly joyless it can’t even be amusing in its stupidity.

It's kinda funny that they didn't think the scary dinosaurs were enough of an antagonist, so they get Vincent D'Onofrio to be a human villain. And then completely underused him.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

How should we film this grandiloquent, sweeping epic told across three decades of turmoil and civil unrest in 19th century Paris? I know, let's hold the camera five inches away from everybody's sweaty face at all times.

Simply baffling. I love both the book and the musical, the casting here was (mostly) on point. It should have been a much better film than it was.

"I'm thinking blue."
"Like? The movie should be sad? It is pretty melancholy."
"No. I mean, the movie should be blue."
"When you say blue?"
"All of it. All of it blue."
"We can't make the whole thing blue."
"Greys. Lots of dull greys in between the blues, so the blues pop more!"

edit: Fun story: I saw Les Misérables in theaters with a friend who had no idea what it was, just that Hugh Jackman was in it. She thought I was joking when, right before the movie began, I told her it was almost 3 hours long and was an operatic musical, so there wasn't really dialogue in between songs.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Oct 29, 2019

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Oh poo poo. Gavok, you just reminded me.

X-Men: Apocalypse. Ab-so-lute-ly dreadful film. I hated it. I never get angry watching a movie in theaters, but that one pissed me off.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

axelblaze posted:

I think the idea of getting Crowe was he was a big famous actor who you wouldn't think would be in this type of movie and someone figured that curiosity caused by the idea of Russel Crowe singing would draw more people in than the fact he can't sing would push them away.

My drama teacher in high school believed that Crowe was the best male actor working at the time. I've always felt that they cast him to appeal to her and a similar demographic.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Laughing Zealot posted:

Oh and it hosed New Zealands film industry, let's not forget that.

Care to elaborate on this? Never heard of it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Guy A. Person posted:

Lindsay Ellis talks about it in her videos about the Hobbit (I think the film industry stuff is in part 2 and 3 but here's the first video if you want to watch it, it's good):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTRUQ-RKfUs

Awesome. Thank you!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I Before E posted:

I made my list based on what got the most negative reaction from me, so movies that are technically incompetent but hilarious couldn't honestly be on there, and sticking to movies I've actually seen disqualifies stuff like Littlest Reich where it's straightforwardly vile enough that I wouldn't give it the time of day.

I debated putting Frank on there, as it's just a dreary bore with bad music, but I just felt exhausted at the end of that, whereas after The Disaster Artist I felt insulted.

Oh I liked Frank a lot. I've been in bands and have written songs, I'm fascinated by people like Daniel Johnston, Thomas Pynchon, Jandek, Scott Walker, all the performances are great, and the soundtrack is good in the movie. Outside of the context of the film, the music kinda falls apart except for "I Love You All". It's a solid flick in my book.

Something like Burton's Alice In Wonderland really infuriates me. Same with the aforementioned Red Christmas, which is just hateful and wrong and morally reprehensible.

Mike Flanagan's Absentia is also an annoying movie. I like Oculus and Hush, so it's not like I hate him, but Absentia gets under my skin. I've talked about it a few times, but the detective in that movie sucks so much, and he chews gum with an open mouth, and they added his gum smacking into the sound design, so I'm forced to watch this lovely actor play an a dumb character in a lackluster film, and I have to hear him chew gum every single time he's on screen. gently caress that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

istewart posted:

One from this year that I ended up strongly disliking was The Beach Bum. I saw Matthew McConaughey and Snoop Dogg promoting it on Jimmy Kimmel… evidently, they smoked such strong weed on set that they woke up the next morning and had accidentally recorded a hip-hop album together. With promotion like that, I figured, why the hell not! Could be the next Big Lebowski!

McConaughey plays Moondog, a perpetually-inebriated beach “poet” in an open marriage in South Florida, whose itinerant lifestyle is supported by his wife’s wealth. Snoop Dogg is his bestest best buddy who also happens to be sleeping with his wife. He pretty much plays Snoop Dogg, albeit under the hilarious pimp moniker Lingerie. The twist that drives the story is that Moondog’s wife dies suddenly, and her will states he must finally complete his latest book of poetry in order to receive an inheritance and be able to continue Moondogging. But I ended up feeling that it was pretty incoherent. I was never quite sure… am I supposed to laugh at this guy? Laugh with him? Pity him? Look up to him, because he’s living so wild and free?

At times, it didn’t feel like the cinematography was helping much either. There were shots that panned back and forth between Moondog and his wife and daughter in a “he-said, she-said” fashion that felt like a parody of a reality show. That’s certainly a valid sort of parody to attempt, given how reality TV loomed over the culture this decade, but I had a hard time grasping what sort of statement was being made, since I couldn’t detect a coherent emotional tone. I don’t know, maybe I’m just not cut out for Harmony Korine movies. I’d certainly be happy for anyone to respond with a different take. But I really do feel this movie would have been completely unwatchable without someone as talented and well-established as McConaughey.

This is my favorite movie of the year, so I'll elaborate on a few points.

First, Moondog's relationship with his wife isn't open. Moondog selfishly fucks anything and everything he wants, but it's brought up by his wife and daughter that he doesn't know about her and Lingerie, and it's preferred to keep it that way. He selfishly wants to remain loyal to him while he gets to be wild and free. Moondog is a narcissistic, and selfish, which is why seeing his wife with Lingerie is such a huge blow to his ego, and what leads to her death.

We are not supposed to pity Moondog. He is so numbed by self-indulgence, wealth and celebrity that he is no longer human. Everyone refers to him as an Other. He gets away with everything, or is rewarded for being the worst person imaginable. He is not necessarily a good poet, but he is a popular poet. He is creatively bankrupt, and only returns to writing because it is the only way to get access to his wealth, and to perpetuate this weird idea of Moondog as a person.

2019 was a year in film where class and wealth disparity were explored. Instead of showing class warfare (like Ready Or Not, Parasite, The Lighthouse, Us), instead we get to see the results of wealth with Moondog. He pretends to live among the common people, not because he finds solidarity with them, but because he is allowed to do anything he wants. Obese man playing a tuba? Knock his rear end in the water, Moondog. No one's gonna say anything about it, in fact, people may laugh with you! Have another beer on the house. His celebrity absolves him of his crimes. His wealth perpetuates his lovely actions without consequence.

Structurally, the film is a picaresque story, with Moondog as the central rogue character, bumbling through various situations. He meets a Nu-Metal fan who believes he can be the worst person imagineable, because Jesus already died for his sins, bro! He meets an entrepreneur who preys off of tourist culture. His best friend is a major drug dealer, and he gets involved in trafficking because it promises free weed. He doesn't learn a drat thing from any of it. Why should he? He's Moondog. He's already rich and famous. There is no room is his drunk and stoned head for life lessons. He is incapable of growing, and the structure reflects that, as does the genre of "stoner comedy".

As for the dialogue coverage, it's pretty unique. It can be distracting, but our perspective is with the stoned Moondog. It also creates an interesting tapestry with the many different takes. Harmony Korine doesn't do much improv in his films; all the dialogue is scripted, but he allows a lot of freedom in their delivery, and how the shots are executed. I thought it was pretty awesome, but that's to taste.

Like all Harmony Korine films, it's very polarizing. The dude doesn't care about broad appeal. This is as straightforward as he's gonna get.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

istewart posted:

Thanks for this; I'll keep these points in mind when I get around to re-watching it. Upon reflection, it does make more sense as a criticism or takedown of the stoner-comedy genre, rather than an attempt at a straightforward addition. That's what I and my friend who I watched it with went in expecting, and I guess we weren't ready to have our expectations subverted. I suppose the celebrity culture/reality-TV criticism is the throughline to focus on. Which of Korine's other films can you recommend, if I want to break into his back catalog? I missed Spring Breakers, partly because James Franco usually makes me :barf:

All of Korine's films are worth watching.

I'll try and break them down simply so you can pick.

Spring Breakers is a crime film corrupted by World Star Videos, video games, Brittney Spears, Riff Raff, Girls Gone Wild, modern MTV. James Franco is a sleazy hip-hop artist named Alien, who acts kinda like a Faustian devil for the Spring Break girls, inviting them to join him in his crimes. It rules.

Mister Lonely is Korine's most sentimental film, about a Michael Jackson impersonator who tries to find his place in secluded a group of impersonators. It's about an outsider having an existential crisis. There is a subplot about nuns and Werner Herzog is hilarious in it. It's pretty straightforward, and doesn't have the disturbing content that is prevalent in every other Korine film.

GUMMO is a bizarre coming-of-age story. It's kinda like a 90's era Linklater film that likes huffing glue and sleeping in the woods. There's no major plot. It's a showcase of bizarre characters and the town they live in.

Julian Donkey-Boy is a film about a young man who has undiagnosed schizophrenia living with his family, including his abusive father (played by Werner Herzog). It's Korine's most ambitious film and most disturbing film. It's hard to describe how creative this film is, but it feels very bleak. I think it is Korine's greatest film.

Trash Humpers is a darkly comedic VHS tone poem of depravity, anarchy, and hedonistic sadism. It is a found-footage film of a group of elderly deviants harassing each other, causing mischief, stealing, destroying things, and killing people. It is a satire of YouTube culture, WorldStar Videos, and reality television.

Maxwell Lord posted:

I have only seen Spring Breakers and The Beach Bum, but the take I get is that Korine just kinda presents these characters and wants you to make up your mind. Like I have a specific interpretation of Spring Breakers (it's like the anti-Last House on the Left/Virgin Spring), but he's similar to Cronenberg in that he isn't doling out moral judgements while the action unfolds. He's just kinda interested in weird ways people live.

:hmmyes: You get it!

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jan 2, 2020

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'll take it. Man, are there any books about that whole expat actor crew that spend the whole 60's and 70's in Italy?

This was my favorite part of Once Upon A Time... In Hollywood

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Back for more discussion, now with lovely Oscar Noms to discuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dr. Strange isn't even close to being the worst MCU movie, let alone one of the decade.